Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Ale, yes a bit of a shame! I’m just about to drag my expanding bulk out for a run. 

Nice bit about our virtual 5k in AW, shame I’m called Sam again, after my mate from Dartford. He’s really good, so that’s fair enough ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I follow the posts of that club in Wales who put on the Murder mile, and their chairman reckons St John's Ambo aren't allowed to cover races until the end of June now... so on the presumptions that 1) you have to have medical cover, 2) they are the main medical cover people, and 3) that's UK wide, that's now early July the earliest for any races!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Abingdon mara cancelled completely today due to the uncertainty and that was oct 18th......could be a situation when late in the year we might be allowed to race and there are none.

SG - how about a bit more variety in there with distances, a spread of 6, 8, 10 or 12?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Possibly TR, but as it's singles only now, this way keeps the mileage nice and high. You probably don't want to be doing too many runs beyond 10 in one week, as that's asking for trouble unless you're used to doing it marathon training. Keeps the week motivation going too, as without work, that could easily fall off.

Abingdon is as much down to Manchester and London being dumped right in the same mixer time wise?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - i guess 10 a day gives you a target to chase.......i cant see VLM or Manc taking place at all now though, cant see races with that many being allowed by then, so was thinking that Abo had a better chance of taking place.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's going to be a tedious long trudge through the weeks isn't it, seeing races go quite often.

Just have to really appreciate it when it's back one day!

Keeping the running to some sort of structure is essential I think, as without any sort of routine it'd be very easy to just get used to dossing the day away, and taking ages to re-adjust to normal life!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sounds Like a good plan SG.

4th  hilly 8 miler in a row tonight. It's such good timing that all the mud has now dried up! I'm quite enjoying not doing doubles, and feel like doing hilly 8s is pretty good for base strength. The pace has been generally good too - probably mainly due to solid surfaces!   Other than a wee bit of back ache, everything felels oK at the moment (touches wood!)

Interesting that so many people are out and about - difficult to resent them for it! Nearly everyone is still responding well to a cheery hello or wave, and most are keeping their distance. Most dog owners are behaving to, but a shame that there are still some that don't understand their dog could carry the virus as easily as a person. The risk is mainly to them form me though!

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good to hear of other's efforts to maintain some fitness & sanity though not sure about the latter in SG's case :p
    Since lockdown I've ticked over with a hilly 10M Tuesday-Friday (took Monday off & went for a walk with the OH). I ran it super easy Tuesday & have nibbled away at the time each day but went for it today & managed to sneak a 7:58 average B) Legs are definitely feeling sore from the unaccustomed hills - over 5,000' in 4 days! I shall do a freedom parkrun again tomorrow as part of my 10-15M run. Not expecting great things this week that's for sure :D
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm worried when our resident insane trainer/racer is calling me loopy :D

Certainly easier when you're at home all day to do a single isn't it.

Not sure i'll keep it going when back to work way down the line, as it's quite an ask to get a 10mile morning run in every day with a 30-40min commute as well.

And obvs at mo I can just snooze it off if needs be too :)

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Pot/kettle :smiley:

That's some impressive ascent though Jools, especially away from some big hills! I'm on 3700 and thought I'd been hoovering up the undulations :smile:
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    So little seems to have changed for the regulars still on here; Bus and Jools still doing mad amounts of hilly running; SG and TR racking up the miles; Reg being Reg with a different outlook to most, but one that has some logic when you think about it!

In keeping with the thread efforts to follow normal routines my daughter and I went off to Ascot Racecourse perimeter route again for our 'not parkrun' Saturday 5k. I didn't quite give it full beans as wanted a run home after (I'd persuaded the wife to drive us there and do a lap as her daily walk then take my daughter home). 

So about 20'35 for me and 24'30 for my daughter and it was really windy on parts so not too bad. Then did a 10k off mostly off road loop home but that was pretty slow taking about 47 mins. At least decent distance overall. Still in the routine of going with my daughter each time; run 1 day, bike the next, which usually means a fair bit short of normal distances for me on both. We did a decent ride yesterday though, covering nearly 30k, so can't complain. 
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It does make you appreciate being able to get out though Pete.  Need to be careful about driving though, as whilst it's still allowed and the most sensible thing to do in many cases, there's a growing head of steam building up with the angry crew on social media, ably assisted by misinterpretation of what certain police forces are doing.  Ireland have introduced a 2km perimeter from your home!  Farmers are also getting in on the act. Whist I can understand why they would be concerned, especially on live-stock farms at lambing time too, a blanket closure of footpaths across farms would be a disaster.   If you were a conspiracy theorist about state control you'd be having a field day right now!

Anyway, bike ride this morning while still allowed out! Nice quiet roads, though very windy and my lack of  bike fitness was pretty telling -  I was pretty knackered at the end after just 22M!

Decided to cut my own hair afterwards - what a mess! The battery on the clippers died half way, so I had to sit eating lunch being laughed at by my kids!!  Oh well, it'll grow before anyone else sees me and has given me a new respect for the people who can do a half decent job of it for a tenner :smiley:
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good solo effort that Pete
    No way I'll be wasting a running opportunity for a bike ride Bus. Whilst I do like a good bike ride I much prefer running. Today was certainly a better running than biking day as that wind was biting & certainly more than just a breeze. Not surprised 22M felt tough.
    I did a 14M run today: 10K to my local/home parkrun then smashed myself on it for a desultory 21:17 before another 4M down to the river to meet the OH who'd been out for a walk by the river.
    Apparently driving to exercise is not permitted & digging bike jumps is not a permissible form of exercise as my landlord's kids (19 & 23) were reprimanded by 2 PCSOs today whilst in a dead quiet part of the forest. Names taken & threatened with the £30 fine if they're caught again. Pretty sure someone must have grassed them up as they were parked just off the road down a dead-end lane. We're rapidly degenerating into East Germany pre collapse of the Berlin Wall :(
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Seems like it Jools. I'd normally agree re bike v run but as the legs were needing a rest from running, seemed as good an excuse as any to widen my horizons beyond the same(ish) running route I've been doing all week :smile:

Good work on the 14 combo too :smile:
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done for keep getting out there folks.
    Whilst there are still a few idiots out there, it appears that most folks are now playing the team game, so hopefully we'll keep being allowed out, especially as it looks like lockdown is going to go on for a while. I wish they would police the needless and stockpile shoppers rather than chase dog walkers, cyclists and runners.

The SPO (my wife) is a social person (as against my anti-social) and is getting dragged down a bit, so she asked me to go for a walk with her and the doggy today as against going on her own. So first non running day of the year, but i did 30 mins of cct training in the garage beforehand. Probably wont be able to walk tomorrow let alone run.

Bus - i cut my own hsir with the trimmers too, remember a time when it sounded a bit different, and the guard had fallen off. Luckily it soon grows back.
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Grateful of my treadmill and stationary bike at the moment. Tried to add an additional kettlebell to my collection but there's none available - seems prepper mentality has taken over the fitness market, too.
    The Bus said:

Decided to cut my own hair afterwards - what a mess! The battery on the clippers died half way, so I had to sit eating lunch being laughed at by my kids!!  Oh well, it'll grow before anyone else sees me and has given me a new respect for the people who can do a half decent job of it for a tenner :smiley:
    TR said:

Bus - i cut my own hsir with the trimmers too, remember a time when it sounded a bit different, and the guard had fallen off. Luckily it soon grows back.
    Another long-term buzz cutter here. Got it down to a fine art until the nape trim using two mirrors - it's akin to reversing a caravan.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Had a monster on my sideburns. Probs a good thing no one will see me close up for months!

14 today with the few hours of sleep extra banked than usual, bypassing that usually awkward lost hour of the clock change.

7miles to the marlow track, read the closed sign on the gate and down the country lane and same distance back.

Some parts of the return felt like a gale. Pure treacle and a real slog.

Oddly still got it in for a 7.05 average. And a 68mile week
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Think I need better trimmers, but now looks ok, having charged them three times!

Maybe run to the shop for some essential supplies TR?  It is tricky. I wanted to go out for a walk with my son and daughter, but that would have meant no long run - seems a bit of an odd rule given we wouldn't have had to go near anyone, but hey ho, got to be seen to do the right thing as well as do the right thing! We'll see if I'm still saying that when we're still stuck in in July!!!!

Interestingly, those countries that have gone down the road of proper widespread testing and contact tracing (SIngapore, South Korea and others) seem to be faring much better without having imposed such economic and mental health impacting restrictive measures.

14 for me today as well. Fierce (and very cold!) wind not hugely helpful. 46M total for the week, which seems OK with no doubles and two non running days.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Indeed Bus. The strategic nous of this government seems to be close to zero. This article from the Lancet is pretty damning https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30727-3/fulltext?fbclid=IwAR26FNspue-rLpy-kWOcgyZT4UBAEFiAw--LJOhhyG9BCtUJWy4V7vBl_LU 
    I got out for 20M today - my first in exactly a year. It was a very hilly plod but pleased to get it done. 75M for a 6 day week.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good article, if slightly depressing....

Nice 20 by the way and a pretty big week that!

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Good running all - Did a bit of 5k training on Saturday, out and back with a 3 mins break in-between. 17.36 out and 17.28 back. Basically I was checking out a new route for next Saturday's virtual relays. Going to have to join Strava though!

Did 11.15 miles Sunday, 7.01 milling. Clever the old Garmin isn't it! Somehow I had set it t show the mile pace - was sub 7.00 until the last mile - the hip flexors gave up and the wind was in my face and I put in a 7.17.

At work today, so will do 10-11 in total.

The lockdown is a pain, but I'd suffer it for 3 months if we got on top of it. Especially as my birthday is 30th June. Pub anyone??

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Caved in to Strava after only 7 days eh Simon :D
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

At least I can match the SC on the long run pace :D

No chance on the back to back 5k tempos!

Everyone still WFH? Or anyone else in team furlough?

Bit "Lazy" to get out today, well past 11. but daily 10 logged.

Same again tomorrow, but with some sort of steady zone in there, to be made up tomorrow.

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Jools- no way out if I want to take part in the relays. That’s going to be the only post. Don’t bother following me. I’m just a naughty boy. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Bus - hopefully we'll still be allowed out for a while. Ive reduced my mileage as we are out of marathon training now, and it feels morally the right thing. But its more about avoiding others rather than how long you are, i saw about 3 other folks today in the last mile of my 8 miles, as i got closer to work again.

Jools - you are going to be strong come the (hopeful) autumn races.

SG - im still WFW!

Simon - the virtual racing sounds good, although its probably more of a TT?
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I'm wfh SG. Another good run banked. You should have a crack at an Autumn marathon. If you keep up the daily 10s & the Sunday LR your legs will be bullet proof.
    Back to the weekday 10M post-work hilly MT run. Ran it easy apart from 2 hill climbs but still came out as my 2nd fastest time round that route. The first is a 200m 13% gradient which comes after just 300m wu. I got 2nd on it with 1:10 but need to find another 17s for the CR! The 2nd is a 7% average 1300m stretch which starts about halfway through the run. I managed a PR of 7:58 for 3rd & just need to find 5s to move in to 2nd place. CR is a phenomenal 6:20 though!! Legs have obviously recovered well from the Fri-Sun battering.  B)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Back to back 17:xx 5ks - that's just showing off Simon. We should dob you in to the old bill for that alone :wink:

Jools - the more you tell SG he should do a marathon, the less likely he is to do one!!!  You are right though - 10 miles every day and 15 at the weekend all close to sub 3 marathon pace would make a great launch-pad to an Autumn marathon.  Very nice ten yourself by the way :smile:

Dragged myself out for a bike ride tonight, just to get out. Despite it being freezing cold and getting a soaking it was really very nice, as much for getting out of the house as anything else!  

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    When i was struggling back into really heavy wind on that 14 on Sunday i can honestly say i was delighted it wasn't longer.

I do fancy smacking a few 10m and hms out though. But then also some 5k and miles. Although the latter i recognise will be a world of pain to regain summer 2018 paces!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    One day into furlough and have already demolished my way to episode 5 of series 3 of breaking bad! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - if you do a mara then 14 or 14 becomes an mlr !

Bus - 9 (ish) domestic murders in week 1 of lockdown, keep getting out in the fresh air to let off steam !