Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bus - i prefer to run early before work, but get more time if i run afterwards.

Regulation 10m after wrk today, didnt see anyone in mddle 6 or 7m as usual apart from some cnut on an mtb that went up a slope ahead of me and rhen blew his norstils out, peobably more 20m than 2m but didnt fancy running through it do waited 30sec and then on with my top over my face, wanker, ruined my run.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Not ideal TR...normally just on the unpleasant side, obvs more dangerous now!

Daily ten for me. Up a shortish but bloody steep hill and into undulating windy bits for the first half which was a bit on the slog side!  Second half much easier and included a lovely mile steep down!

Tomorrow I'll do a variation on last weeks 15x1min, 1min off.

Will probs keep the effort at a min but increase recovery to get it tastier
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Tens seem to be the order of the day now!

Must admit, I'm struggling to contain my snot-rocket habit, but certainly wouldn't do it near anyone in the present climate!  Had two issues on my run tonight - one woman who complained the path was very narrow (fence one side and a hedge on the other). Well duh - not much I can do to change that, it's a bloody long way round and I'm not waiting ten minutes for her to amble to the other end - smiling sweetly and being apologetic of course :smiley:  The other one was a guy who went out of his was to squeeze up a bank and get as far away as possible, but left his dog in the middle of the path. I actually stopped, a few feet from his dog, and said "I bet you don't want me to drip sweat on your dog". Again, smiling sweetly!

On the plus side, in the current climate I'm unlikely to get involved in any dwarf wrestling......

Anyway, 9 (sorry!) hilly miles done (26M and 3000ft so far this week) and still feeling good and running (relatively!) quicky - I'm wondering when the bubble will burst! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    If you have to gob, do it hard to the floor, not to your side for some poor cyclist who has snuck up like a ninja to get sprayed.

I remember feeling guilty once down rotten row after miles of isolation launching some and a cyclist zoomed past without warning... Whoooops!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I believe that was the day I'd rucked the old Marlow half route up, went down RR instead of up, and had 3 choices...

1) Back up RR - no chance at all son

2)Back through Hambledon adding a Johnny Sh!Ttone of mileage

3)Following the sign that said "Marlow 5miles"

Genius...except it was a super fast narrow dangerous road :)

(they tell me now there was an option 4 -  a nice safe river/offroad route)

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    You're all slackers; I did 10.5 miles today😉

Was rejected by my daughter who said she wanted to run alone for once! Decided I'd better try a long one which was mostly off road from home; for any that know the area was through Sunningdale golf course, bit of Windsor Great Park and back via Chobham Common. Was crap though; didn't push the pace but was feeling sluggish throughout and almost 8mm and HR still mid 150's av told the story. Obvs lots of work needed on stamina. 

Joking aside good 10's from all the regulars; where are the others? Can't be down to SG, Simon, TR,  Bus, Jools and me surely! Ok occasionals from Reg, Aley and Wool too I suppose, but would be good to hear from Matt, Muddy, Joe and maybe even the elusive Ric, Dachs, Dean and whoever else I've forgotten (sorry).
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Good man pete......i did 12 yday, as i did the regulation 10 and then 2 more in the deserted industrial estate at work.......great progress from when you were struggling with calf issues though, good stuff, well done for keep plugging away.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    That sounds pretty swift for an off-road route Pete, with a few undulations I daresay too, though HR does seem a little high.
    Consistent as ever TR.
    Still on the hilly 10 milers. Did my usual route yesterday but after battering myself on the 1st climb I was forced to jog the rest so it only just came out as 8:xx rather than 9:xx. Today I went for a walk with the OH then ran a circuitous route home. Saw 2 couples on the walk & passed another 2 people on the run. Took it real easy & with almost 1400' of climb it was no surprise this one was 9:xx. Good to be out on a different route & one I'll definitely go back to: there are 5 segments to use as motivation for a fartlek session :D
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    that sounds a nice route Pete. If only you were on Strava!

I broke my rule and did a mini sesh this morning. Only 3*mile but at 7 am and off nothing faster than a 7:30 mile in weeks it was a good little awakener. I *might* modify my thinking and keep doing something with a bit more effort every so often. Racing seems an awfully long way off though. 

10 has an appeal to it at the moment I have to agree. Not too far but double digits has a nice feel to it right now and a couple of them means that the weekly mileage gets up reasonably. Or 7 of them if you're SG, of course  B)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nah just Mon to Fri, with sharper parts Tue and Fri.
    Longer on Sun.

Last week put a token 4 in sat too but will review that as might be better to keep the day rest especially with so many double digits.

Good to see you attempting sessions. Base type stuff at steady or fartleky/efforts to the clock rather than distance seem my best approach at fhe mo
  • After being summoned by Pete, thought I'd best actually put a post in :smiley:

Glad to see you're all ticking along, making the most of the opportunities to evade the build-up of cabin fever. It's a great opportunity to revert to base-building, hopefully ready for an autumn racing season.

I don't really have masses to report on - Eastleigh was postponed so didn't get my shot at a good PB. I can't quite recall when I last posted but had some really good workouts in the build-up, including 4 x 2km (3mins) at 7:25/7:24/7:22/7:14, and a 20min hard effort averaging 5:49/mi. The latter definitely wasn't all-out effort for the time, so hard how to call it.
    Over 210 miles for March, my highest for a while, but have ended up cutting back last week and this week due to feeling a bit under the weather. I'd quite like to get back to the 50mi weekly benchmark.

Oh, and here's a good one for you all - we were due to have new sofas delivered on Tuesday 24th March, and so we arranged for the old ones to be collected on the Monday. Lo and behold, the lockdown announcement on Monday evening, and then our delivery being cancelled for the foreseeable - leaving us with only a camp chair, dining chairs and cushions... 
    I'm WFH as PhD students are seemingly expected to continue as normal during these uncertain times, but here's hoping there will be deadline extensions. On the plus side, this means I'm set up at a desk all day, and not entirely noticing the lack of a sofa!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I love how the "shout outs" so quickly bring people out 😄😄

Lurker amnesty? Anyone say hi?👍

Matt...was that 5.49 for 20mins straight?! Or was it in efforts?
    If it's the former that's one hell of a shift

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    PeteM said:
    You're all slackers; I did 10.5 miles today😉

Was rejected by my daughter who said she wanted to run alone for once! Decided I'd better try a long one which was mostly off road from home; for any that know the area was through Sunningdale golf course, bit of Windsor Great Park and back via Chobham Common. Was crap though; didn't push the pace but was feeling sluggish throughout and almost 8mm and HR still mid 150's av told the story. Obvs lots of work needed on stamina. 

Joking aside good 10's from all the regulars; where are the others? Can't be down to SG, Simon, TR,  Bus, Jools and me surely! Ok occasionals from Reg, Aley and Wool too I suppose, but would be good to hear from Matt, Muddy, Joe and maybe even the elusive Ric, Dachs, Dean and whoever else I've forgotten (sorry).
    Are you sure about that?

🙂

• Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'm sure more people will pop back out! I need to get into the habit of posting regularly again.

SG, it was straight - was chuffed with that! Just gotta use the next however-long to keep building.

I've broken my Saucony trend for easy-day running shoes, having bought a bargain pair of Adidas Solarboost (~£50). Done a few easy runs in them and they felt great, so took them for a spin on some km efforts yesterday and handled them well. So far, would recommend!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Is that quicker than 10k pace? Not sure id fancy trying that, although a lot swear by the 20m tempo.

Welcome back Ric...the word on the street was you were back on some lesser thread😄
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Latest 10 today, although I did bungle recording it as a single on strava, much to the banter of one well known "wag"

4mile warm up, then 12x1min hard, off 90secs jog.

Tougher session than it looked, and quite tough to get an accurate view on the current pace at times, as the easy or jog before it takes a while to register.

As it's quite a short time, all the reps came out as 0.17m or 0.18m, so registered as either 5.33 or 5.53 pace, so at least the average is obvious in the middle.

Sometimes I was busting juice and it was showing over 6 as the average, and I must admit I don't think I ever looked down to see it as quick as 5.33, but a good run out all in.

Might rest tomorrow, 13 days without a rest day probably needs looking at.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Pete. Sounds like your daughter just wanted both her headphones for a change  :smiley:

That is quite literally a pain in the arse Matt! Good work again Jools and SG and Wool.

Another hilly off-road 8 for me. Felt hard tonight mind - previous three days catching up with me!  not helped by having to run round a freshly and deeply ploughed field at the end. The farmer was ploughing it yesterday and couldn't have failed to see the dozens of local people walking on the path round the edge. OK, it's not actually a ROW (but it is by the default rule of more than 20 years unhindered use). It's now impossible to keep 6 feet from someone.  

Hey ho...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey Mat, thats sharp, keep it going.

Wool - i think its a good idea to do the odd session, i did 10x3min the orher day.

SG - you dont necessarily need a rest day if you run easy enough in the easy runs, i had my first non running day of the year last weekend, and thats only because my wife pressured me into using my exercise token walking with her, but i did 30min of cct training in the garage instead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's just the change TR. Changing too much stuff in one go probs isn't too wise.
    Changing to so many double digits is change enough, let alone no rest days.

Pete you need to tell your dorr-ahhh that you're kind of a big deal on both the local running scene and this thread.

Bus last time i ran on a ploughed field was horrific, at the bottom of that woody bit down from holtspur.

Stoney dreadful surface. Always give a lovely smooth road.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    If this virus all goes away just before  xc time, i think it's certainly fair to give the team a "no chance" 😄
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi there SG,

Welcome back? We shall see.

In the context of the current situation, I imagine I feel like Noah did after it started raining. That's financial independence for you. It was my own deal. I choose the course. 

The side issue called training is just fitness and the fun of it. 

Real business?

This full face protective mask?
    I bought it last year as a spare for my (optional) brushcutting activities.

It was donated to the cause, along with my engineering and altruistic tendencies.

After that who knows. As things stand I have all the options.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

So erm...anyone do any running then?

Not me...first rest day in 2 weeks.

Back at it tomorrow, couple of podcasts queued up.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I did 16m today, kept to quiet lanes and only saw a few folks, im avoiding GSR route, theyve had to close the car parks down there.

SG - agreed on your rest day after all the recent 10s, plus i tend to run at easier paces than you. I did 16m av 8.00 today, youd be 7.00, and although you are quicker than me, you wouldnt be 26min ahead of me over a mara.

Garage ccts tomorrow as the wife wants me to use my outdoor token to go walking with her and the dog again tomorrow, fair enough i suppose, but im losing a days running a week at the mo keeping her company.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

TR - tell her what Pete told his daww-ahhh - that you're kind of a big deal on the local running scene, and needs to run.

Any problems, i'll drop her a message :D

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps nice on the 16. Always a long way in my book.

Always.

Could have been Reading half tomorrow. Obvs I didn't enter, as this was all starting to gently rise up not long after Wokey, and I'm a cautious chap (coughs tightwad) at the best of times..

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    SG - she wont have any of that.......i entered a lot of races this yr, to chase times before i get too old.....

Worthing 1/2 ( moved to oct due to storms)
    Fleet 1/2 ( moved to 2021)
    Salibury 10 (moved to 2021)
    Brighton - sept ?
    Vlm - oct?
    North Dorset mara - vlm back up, no new date yet
    Bognor 10k - moved to 2021
    Worthing 10k - moved to Aug
    Lordshill 10k june - no news yet
    NF 10 - july, no news yet 
    Brighton 10k - july,  no news yet
    Abingdon Oct - already moved to 2021.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Another 10M for me: 10K hilly wu to get to my local parkrun course then blasted round it as best my legs would allow 21:19 was 2s slower than last week but then I've done another 80M & over 9,000 ft climbing since then. 1M cd. OH picked me up on the way back from the shops :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Vary that distance Jools ;) That's some huge pimping for the week. Your legs must feel like biscuits :)

TR - that's a mad set of disappointments when lined up like that!

For me it's literally

Marlow 5 - was entered - they've deferred to 2021

Reading half - considered it

Endure - wasn't in, but suspected I might get in nearer the event

then load of summer stuff I suppose, but the long distance stuff was sort of the unfinished business for this spring... will have to keep that on ice!

It certainly does concentrate the mind to not miss opportunities to get your key races in the next opportunity doesn't it.

Nothing in 2020, then suddenly 2021 and a year older etc

Really hope there's some autumn/winter fare, or we're going to have some appallingly dull end of season reviews :D

Highs...

1 half...

Lows

Windy at the 1 half...

The virus wiping out 9months!!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Good stuff jools, good to combine running and shopping, we needed milk today so i bought some beer too.

SG - its mad to think that my Abo entry is now more than 18 months away.