Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    These are my aging Boston 6s which have been downgraded this year from racers to trainers - a fact which has significantly contributed to their high mileage!

Still in better nick than my previous trainers: Adidas Sonic Boosts with 1600M on the clock + quite a few more walking. I’m still running in them occasionally too!

This was my 4th pair as, after buying a pair for £50 & liking them, I found some in the Boxing Day sales for £30 so bought 3 pairs. I averaged almost 1800M in each of them so the above pair have another month or 2 left :p They were my first Adidas having previously run in ASICS or New Balance though I did once have a pair of Saucony I got from TKMax for £25: great shoes but they went flat really quickly. Both my track & XC spikes are Saucony though I’m an Inov-8 fan for the serious off-road stuff.
  • Nice to see the chatter about hills, I just sometimes wish I could easily get away from the ones round here - no matter which way you go there's always hills...

Glad to see all is good (apart from Bus' niggles, look after yourself!), and that everyone is ticking over.

Lower week for me this week, and all easy stuff - perhaps overdid the hard work last week as have been feeling run down/coldy since Tuesday or so. Gotta try to strike the right balance.

Interesting that you've gotten so many miles out of your Boston 6s Jools! I retired mine from racing at 670mi. Great shoe though, I upgraded to the 8s and they're not the same.
    Back along I mentioned that I noticed the outer-edge of the forefoot tread on my left shoe was wearing faster than the rest (partly the reason for retiring the Boston 6s) - I've decided to try to address it, as it's a pain to buy new shoes because of uneven wear. Working on ankle strength with proprioception exercises, and also tried slowing yesterday's easy run right down - as my walking trainers (good ol' pair of Pegasus 32s) wear evenly in the centre, so perhaps pace related. 
    Yesterdays run was ~8:15/mi for 66% MaxHR, light, breezy and fully enjoyable on all accounts, but I did notice my gait was different - so just gotta wait and see... Perhaps I can get my Boston 6s out from retirement :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jools are those little stones caught in the heels or is it designed to make it look like little stone!?

I've used wave riders for about a decade for normal runs. They used to be about 80 new so you'd hope to get them 55-60s.  Then 100 meant 70-80 was the discount.

Now they go for 120 so getting them for 70-75 is some top buying.

Could look around for a cheaper neutral trainer but we're habit types usually.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yeah MH I agree the Boston 8 is not the shoe I was hoping for. I've only done one run in the 8s though but I I find the 6s hold me wonderfully whereas the 8s felt clunkier. I went up half a size which I thought might be the reason. I loved the 6s from the moment I wore them - partly because having trialled them boxfresh for a parkrun wu they felt so good I kept them on for the event & came 5th with a rare sub 19 :) There's definitely life in the 6s even if only for easy recovery runs.
    SG That's the special Boost foam - looks like expanded polystyrene :D . Brexit & the resultant plummet in the £ has certainly significantly increased the cost of trainers (amongst other things).
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    186 posts, I’ll come back later. Hope you’re all well.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    186 posts Reg? That's like a 1000 miles done in Jools shoes!!!

Just how Jools?  The soles on those are clearly at the end of their life, but the uppers look fine! If I get 600M out of a pair for road shoes I'm amazed, but anything used on trails will see the uppers failing anywhere from 100M up (though anything under 300 will result in a refund!!)

15M on the bike this evening, after most of the day spent lazing about. Good to get out, but drivers are definitely going much faster on the quieter roads!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    He's "thrifty" Bus. 😄
    You don't get rich by writing a lot of cheques.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Wool said:
    Lakes SG. Plans forming, need a windfall and some arm-twisting of the rest of the family. Details 😂.

Bus - good plan. I reckon we all get to reset things at V50 though. That’s at least what I’m planning.

Wool, sounds to me like you're trying to convince yourself that this venture is something you can afford. 

Generally, in any financial transaction, if you can't manage it on three quarters of capacity, there's the possibility that if something went wrong, you won't have enough wiggle room to cover it.

And then there's this reality check (for anyone)

Wages.

If, and it 'will', happen, one day. You'll stop work. And when you do. Those wages will stop too.

And when they do, it matters not how big those wages once were. You've had them. That's all the wages you'll ever get. And you're never going to get anymore.

That's it. It's all over. A pile of cash has passed through your hands and it was a 'finite' quantity.

Now you might have a pension, you might have savings, and you might have a passive income stream from elsewhere. Those are good. Part of the equation.

Now, make a plan around that scenario, and then ask, 'can I afford it?'

That's your start point.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yep Wool, you'd do well to listen to this advice. Maybe drop Ric a PM for more in depth stuff?

As for me... I ignored my years of experience that taught me "do not drink milk before a run".
    Felt a little unsettled early doors and just about made it to ten before a very quick ahem..in and out then 5 back a bit more comfy....

Rubbish sort of route. 3m one way. 3m back close to start. Then Wycombe's ground up to the main road and back. Uninspiring stuff even by my standards but another decent lick at 7.05.

65mile week in singles and that's 6x15 and 2x14 in the 8 weeks since Wokingham.
    Ticking over decently.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    You get yr moneys worth out of those shoes jools, im happy to get 700ish out of a pair of shoes.

SG - agreed, stick to the milk as a recovery drink.

Bonus 10m today, the wife has a knee issue, so i got to run with my exeecise token today.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Have read through the 104 notifications! Work has been a bit crazy, so not finding time to log in like I used to.

SG - Yes still never drink milk on a race day, unless it's 1500m or less. The good thing with short track is you don't have to think about what you eat as much. And I think  have been in one of that guy's videos too, coming 2nd to Dave Hudson at the alternative Aylesbury PR course. Muddy - hope you recover soon too.

Good news is that my work mate is back home, still on antibiotics for a chest infection - looks like he had C-19 on top of that too. Had a face mask but no CPAP or ventilator.

Leg finally coming on. Still having to alternatively kneel and sit at the dinner table when I'm working, but it's getting there. Did about 40 miles last week with no real sessions, but ordered some Hoka Carbon Rockets (£117 down from £130) and thought I'd do a session. Luckily the little lap around near me and the new houses comes to exactly 1k, so I thought 8 x 1k would be good. The Hokas felt very springy and responsive, as it's the first shoe with a carbon plate that I've worn. Times came out 3.25,18,18,19,19,15,15,15. so pleased with that.

Bought the Hokas as the Adios 5 had some seriously bad reviews. Still don't think I'd wear them over 5k - but itching to get them on for a 10 mile or a half - I'd have to think about what to wear for a 10k. Lovely to wear tough, more bounce than I thought. Never got on with the Boston's - the Tempos were great for Berlin though - just right. Will be interesting to see how the Adidas Pro go down - £160 and look great. Nike will be crapping themselves if they are nearly as good as the 4%  -they'd have to bring the price down surely?

About 12 today, forgot to start the Garmin at home - it says I did 11.2 miles at 6.40 pace.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Good news all round there then Simon.

Nice Brucey bonus TR :smile:

SG - just as well you get lots of practice in for those impromptu pit stops then eh?

Couldn't decide what to do today, so just went out and played it by ear with the focus on running slow. Ended up doing 13.8 hilly but lovely miles of bluebell woods and rolling trails in the sunshine and the legs were OK. 

Looking forward to Jools next post :wink: Incredible scenes as SG might say :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus. I add a banana into the pre run breakfast at the mo as im getting up a fair bit later and then taking a fair while to get out.

Forgot this doesn't quite work on Sundays where it's only an hour difference and especially doesn't work combined with milk and fruit juice (plus weetabix!) doh.

Nice 13.8. Do you specifically leave them short of a round number these days? That's almost ocd itself 😄

Simon things sounding a fair bit better across the board.
    Those "cheap" plate jobs sound interesting. I think ill have to do some proper research.

Nike 4% are already on their way out i think. The "next" at an even sillier fee are the ones now. With the "alphafly" next up?

They'll all have plates soon i dare say. Bring it on so like you say the best ones cheapen up!!

Though i still think it's a leap of faith going with a newer version. But for you Simon i think you could run a good race in bare feet!!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

SG -  If the Hoka and Adidas Pro are nearly as good, who in their right mind will pay £70 more for a disgusting looking trainer like the Nike alphafly 'bogie'? Interesting times ahead. At the very least they would have to drop the price.

Bus - cheers mate, hope you are well.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps, be careful what you put on strava as the twitter account stravaw@nker5 keeps a check on people!

Someone pointed out that someone I follow, had recorded a 5k (legit, and not one of these massive gap between moving time and elapsed time blaggers), but had called it a "before 12pm pb" or something...

They and loads of commenters ripped it to bits :D

"Is a Tue morning pb better than a Friday pm pb" and suchlike!

A lot of their stuff is quite fun, pointing out people posting runs with 500 feet descent as pbs, or very obvioius rep mongers claiming as continuous (like Ross Barkley apparently - footballer for those who don't know).

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ric, just some idle banter on my behalf really but I know there was good intention in your words. I’ll leave it there though at risk of this becoming the financial planning thread.

Bus - loved your pics from today’s run over on Strava. You have similar terrain to run on to what I have when I’m in the office (Surrey Hills). Now, if only they’d put tarmac paths across these AoONB then I’d be happier! Good news on the niggles, very sensible.

Good to hear you are on the mend SC. Looking forward to hearing more about those Hoka too. I’m a Hoka man and in to cheat shoes in general so am always considering those. One of our club mates has run some pretty good times in a pair. I suppose for now I’m not sure where they fit in my (already overly large) shoe portfolio.

And I thought we’d done all the SG GI stories but years later they come back around. Rough though bud. 💩 actually.

Are there others like me get up (pre 11am, ahem!), stuff their face with whatever and then just go out for a run without issue? That’s the reason I so often have to stop for a wee too as I get up, drink a lot, eat whatever I fancy and go straight out. 

Oh, yes. I ran yesterday, close to 15, home by SG’s wake up time. Found some new trails round the lakes close to Heathrow. Not quite the lakes I have in mind but still very nice. That took me to my unstructured / arbitrary 50 mpw lockdown target so I Zwifted today. I love a bit of Zwift, could get really addicted to that.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You're blessed to be able to do that! Although i'd be annoyed to have to always lash a bush or two. I like to wait until i'm ready! Obvs wasn't today, and obvs on workdays when time is pushed, there's an inevitable pre session unleash, after a warmup.

Could go unfuelled or "fasted" but I've never been convinced purposely going in depleted is clever.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SCoombes2 said:

SG -  If the Hoka and Adidas Pro are nearly as good, who in their right mind will pay £70 more for a disgusting looking trainer like the Nike alphafly 'bogie'? Interesting times ahead. At the very least they would have to drop the price.

Bus - cheers mate, hope you are well.

I've spent a year or 18months trying to work out if the 4%s are actually worth it in effect anyway. So any sort of comparison of those versus the 4% I guess is an even tougher ask!

But of course, if they are in anyway equal, I'd move back pretty smart. I only ever wore Nike when I started as they looked "flash" and then to this 4% pair recently. I'd never use Nike normally - I'd move back to the proper runner makes :D

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's a funny thing with running shoes, we're all precise in our buying, be it neutral, over pronating, under pronating, motion control, flat footed etc.

But then it comes to racers and we all just dive in, with no concerns on foot landing!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Don't really have that issue with trail shoes, but like cushioned, neutral for road.  

Wool - tarmac paths in the AoNB? How very dare you! (mind you there are times in Feb where it might be good :smiley:). 

I used to do my long runs fasted, but that only works for me if I get up and go early doors., whihc I'm struggling with currently. 

Even worse SG - it was 13.76 :smiley:  I usually round them up, if it's going to get the weekly mileage over a certain figure, but couldn't be arsed this morning, which is probably a good sign!!!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Yes always been neutral here. You wear racers for less time, so it doesn't matter as much really. Long run trainers have got to be spot on really.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Think I've done a couple of 4milers fasted before...but didn't really like it at all.

You see some phenomenal discipline and commitment in runners though.

I do well to most people, 6am wakeups 6 days a week in normal times, mileage normally 60s, doubles a few times a week etc.

But then i'll see people who have finished their runs before I've started, or do a fair bit higher mileage etc and think blooming heck! Especially when they're managing it off high profile jobs and with a family etc.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    That’s been my view too Simon. Always pretty picky with day-2-day shoes but the reality is that most of us can probably tolerate anything in short bursts. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Must be the case, as I didn't even think about it for the 4%

Whereas for the Hyperions I wanted to make sure they were "similar" to the Adios...

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Great to hear you're back to running SC2. I agree with SG - you'd run a fast time in bare feet! Have you read Ron Hill's autobiographies?
    Solid, consistent from you SG. You'll be raring to go once racing recommences :)
    I'm with you as far as food goes Wool: bolt a hot dinner down in 10 mins then go out for a rep session. However I do also have GI issues (need an impromptu pitstop) when racing & on early morning runs on random occasions. I'm sure racing is at least in part due to the sudden shock of a double espresso hitting a normally coffee-free gut :s
    Here you go Bus.
    It's a lockdown 'race' report SG
    As you probably know I was meant to be racing Brighton Marathon today so decided to solo a double out & back route along the Wye Valley. It’s relatively flat & almost 50% tarmac with the rest a gravelly cycle track. I ran it once as a HM on Wednesday in 1:43 which had felt ok but I was aware that the effort level was probably unsustainable for a full repeat without at least a token taper hence ‘only’ doing 7, 7 & 6.5 the last 3 days. Albeit that included well over 2,000’ of climb & my fastest 5K in a month  :D
    My lovely OH, Sash, set me off, organised the household to provide water, gel & support stations along the route & gathered everyone together for a proper finish. 🥰 

Notice the brand-new Boston 8s ;)

The skies were overcast & I had a following wind. I got to the 1st turnaround in 50 minutes. Halfway back to the start the sun was shining brightly & the support crew had arrived so I was able to dump my gloves & buff, take on much needed fluid & a gel. Got to halfway in 1:39:30, 10s drink/feed/kiss stop & I was flying back downstream with the wind at my back again. Reached the final turnaround in 2:29:07, 8s for drink/gel/kiss & I was off on the final leg. Held pace til a slight fade in the final 5K after a tiny uphill. It was getting warm by now & the headwind wasn’t helping. I was also struggling with the gravelly, flood damaged cycle track by this point. Clock was on 3:21:1x when I completed the Marathon according to GPS but as Brighton always comes out at 26.4 I’d factored that in when deciding on the turnaround point. Finished back on the bridge to cheers, bubbles & congratulations in 3:22:44.  B)  

Happy to run a decent marathon for the first time since Autumn 2018 after some disappointing results last year. A goal was to dip under 3:20, B was 3:29, C was 3:36 & run the whole way.
    Decent end to an 83M week with 4,500ft of climb & a 3 day ‘taper’  :D 
    btw: I'm happy with the Boston 8 as a distance shoe now. Still prefer the 6 which was both a distance shoe & good for reps. I'll stick to the Tempo 9s for them once I retire the 6s.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey jools thats a strong untapered mara, especially given all the hilly off road running lately......keep that mara in the memory banks ready for sept on the seafront.

Its only this yr ive actually started using rscing shoes.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's one heck of an effort! And a superb report while we're all starved of them :)

You look like an absolute geezer/guru in those pics :D I think it's the rock star type hair, whereas most of us on here are regimented short :)

Good time, especially with your extra bit to make sure.

What could you take off that with people, atmosphere and impossible to recreate adrenaline? 10-15mins worth?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I had stormed to the thread in sheer excitement after realising that the Adidas Adizero Adios DOES live on.

I'm a bit sheepish for for bouncing straight onto this after Jools epic run and report, so apologies for that...but hopefully peeps can deal with reading both and make sure Jools gets the focus he deserves for that run, and report :D

The v2 was my favourite shoe back in the day. Did all my pbs in them, superb shoe. World records etc were done by Gebresillassie and the top dogs wore them pre all this plate business.

Was GUTTED when it was discontinued, with seemingly no follow up. And it was all very confusing as there was a Boston and a Boost, but seemingly no Adios direct replacement.

The move to Hyperions was simply for that reason.

So ive just noticed there is a v5, which does embarrassingly mean I've missed v3 and v4...but let's look at the positives :D

A bit heavier than the Hyperions, but early days at least I remember coming away with aching calves every 1 in 3 efforts in those.

Now they're 550 miles in and utterly clattered it makes sense to trial moving back.

Especially after watching a couple of user reviews, saying they're great for track, tempos and racing up to a half.

v2 had these versions. Loved the gold one, best ever

v5 has a choice of 3

Usual adidas elegant design, none of these lurid colours of the Nike stuff.

The middle is apparently orange, although it looks on the pinker side on my screen.

£80 ish through wiggle with new customer discount.

Thread thoughts on best colour?

Torn between two, but if we can have a quick roll call of opinions, and i'll jump in and get a pair tonight.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(also posed it as a POLL on fb)

VOTE VOTE VOTE

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sub 3 SG, definitely - 13M of gravel, and at the end a hilly, 83M week, on top of weeks of hard effort, a bit less snogging plus the old RDM must be worth well over 22 minutes!

Absolutely stonking effort Jools, and as SG says, a cracking report at a time when we are starved of them. Nice :smiley: