Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    On the subject of shoes - namely the destruction of the uppers of  'off roaders'.

It happened to me, and I wasn't impressed. So why does it happen? Surely the manufacturers are aware of this issue?

Answer.

Mud. Namely mud that has ingressed into the fabric of the upper and left to dry. If the shoe is put to work in this condition, all that mud in the fibres acts both as an abrasive and a lever.

The shoe at the points of flexure is literally torn apart.

My solution, before using the shoes, is to give the uppers where they flex, a good layer of vaseline, worked well into the gaps and fibres. That blocks out a lot of mud to start with.

And when a run has finished. I get the shoes clean straightaway. I don't just sling them aside to dry out. 

I've been getting a couple of winters out of shoes treated this way. 

Manufacturers know there is a solution but haven't get found a cheap way of sewing and weaving with silicone or elastic thread. So, fabric uppers remain.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Wool and Pete your FTPs are decent. Your w/kg Wool is better than most in our club. 

The 9m rule is for all clubs, came from RRR I think and they've all probably copy and pasted the same email. If you're going to have a rule I'd say it has top be a loop, that stops people getting a 5km tailwind and also ensures no elevation drop.

Impressive volume Ric but pales compared to your ability to drink Lucozade, obviously  ;)

I got nominated to do the NHS 5k, being a runner it came with a stipulation to run it backwards so this morning I did my first ever backwards run. 35:39. I was concerned I might damage so took it very easy, it wasn't as taxing as I expected. 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Ric: Agree that dried on mud is the cause of most premature wear in off-roaders. Destroys the stitching & the fabric. Interesting about the vaseline - Is that a one off application? How do you manage to dry your shoes in time to use them again in winter or are you only an occasional off-roader?
    I am extremely lazy when it comes to cleaning shoes however my Inov8 Roc-lite 243s have covered 942M over the last 4 years - not bad for a £35 sale purchase They are now coming apart unfortunately. My Inov8 Mudclaw are only on 265M but look fine so far.
    Decent effort for a backwards 5K Reg. The ED for our lumpy, twisty, rooty local parkrun ran it backwards on his 100th. He did some practice round the track beforehand to get the muscles used to the novel moevments. He took about twice as long as usual too. How're the legs today?

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I never clean my off-road shoes and they generally don't last that long!

I only did the backwards run this morning so I will judge tomorrow but they feel fine at the moment. I did runners pilates on Zoom with the club last night so I have a little glute fatigue from that. Might try and do that more regularly.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Reg you nutter. That's so you.

Id be more inclined to Vaseline holes and bits of me to be honest!

Struggled a tempo job today (that's type of run rather than pace before we get into that ☺)

Did 6.10 for 6 last week. Felt decent.
    Changed the route to be level elevation after 2 miles but it meant at about 1.2miles having this fairly steep 50 metre climb.
    Then a right hand turn into strong wind.
    That continued for 4miles..sheash

6.06 first mile then became 630s until turning around 5miles and rescuing a 6.20 (albeit with a 10sec stop to go and pick my lodged down shorts vest that was snagged on a wheely bin 😄)

6.24 average. That's more top end steady than what i was after (6.10-15) but i suppose if anything is gonna slow you it's wind. Felt like treacle at times. Almost considered binning it and probs dropped effort ever so slightly too. Always easier to maintain effort when on track.

But as id set this part as a separate strava run thought i best keep going!

After telling someone i hadn't "gone"on a run outside of post warm up for ages i went on sunday...and yesterday told TR "not hitting paces" on quality is a sign of over doing easy paces!
    But pretty sure today was down to the wind entirely!
  • Jools, that's a lovely solo effort. Very heartwarming to see you supported through it too.

I didn't vote for any of Stevie's shoes. Despite having a pair of Adidas Kick and Samba glued to my feet in my formative years, I cannot stand them for running in now. They all seem to have such a narrow fit, and I don't even have big wide flippers. Conversely to Simon hating the Alphafly, I think they look like the future, and that's alright by me  :smile:

I don't keep my medals or race numbers. To the recycling with 'em.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice tempo in the wind SG.  If it was anything like on the bike last night, treacle for sure at times! 942 miles Jools? You must run without hitting the ground! I do get 500-600 out of the Mudclaw 300s and the old Mudroc 290s as long as they are mainly dry.

Reg - bit mad. Do you have to subtract that 5k from your weekly total then?  :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Muddy - it's been a fair few years but i think i remember first putting my foot into Adios and thinking..heck these are tight!

And i have narrow feet and for certain don't go short on my sizes.
    I've always worn 12 for running for eg..yet for years wore 10 at work (only recently in an 11 as i wanted a certain shoe they only had at that!)

However i just remember it as being a superb shoe and hopefully reality matches memory when they arrive.

Bus- I was only recently thinking how refreshing it was to do a tempo not in the wind of Dorney. Then that happened!

At least at Dorney you tend to have one still side to be reassured you're back to the right pace. Today didn't have that and for a very short time saw the pace at 6.55 😱
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:

Wool and Pete your FTPs are decent. Your w/kg Wool is better than most in our club. 

The 9m rule is for all clubs, came from RRR I think and they've all probably copy and pasted the same email. If you're going to have a rule I'd say it has top be a loop, that stops people getting a 5km tailwind and also ensures no elevation drop.

Impressive volume Ric but pales compared to your ability to drink Lucozade, obviously  ;)

I got nominated to do the NHS 5k, being a runner it came with a stipulation to run it backwards so this morning I did my first ever backwards run. 35:39. I was concerned I might damage so took it very easy, it wasn't as taxing as I expected. 

Yes Reg, it's a handy attribute for running long distances on hot days.

Timed downing a litre this morning, pre run. 51 seconds!

16 miles later I weighed 4lb's less. Clearly the fluid volume was required. Only stopped the once so the rest was just evaporation.

-----

Jools, I wash the shoes completely. Stuff them full of news paper and stick in the airing cupboard. If I change the paper after a couple of hours, the shoes are dry by the next day.

Not that it matters, since I have at least two pairs on the go at once. Each gets the treatment. The vaseline gets applied every run. Seems to wear off, but saves the shoes.

At stages in the winter, I run most days off road. However, for some reason once things warm up, I go to the roads.

🙂

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    yep, I've seen the limits on descent across the 5k now. Still hopeful of getting a time on the board but I am having a generally easier week to let a couple of niggles settle. I used to play badminton when I was a lot younger. Started playing quite a bit in the garden the last few weeks and I'm not as young as I was!

I remember the 1st time I wore adidas boosts. They felt like cheating at the time, how times have changed. I guess a lot of folks will default to a Zoomfly or Peg Turbo for sessions instead nowadays.

backwards running sounds so painful. That sounds pretty quick Reg. Next stop the 5k WR of 19:07?

SG - I just wouldn't have run a tempo in a stiff wind. Brave. Or you could have looked ahead to Saturday that looks flat calm  B)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Wool - some days you know it's going to be windy but even on the warmup I didn't have a clue.

It was a real shocker to be greeted with it 1.2miles in, upon changing direction, and the sinking feeling of knowing it'd last over 4miles :D

I "feel" like I've run a tempo - so will just have to go on that vague "effort" term this week :)

Still, all good training, and helps prepare when we get a stinker at a race. Such as Wokingham from half way on!

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    agree completely SG, it's about the effort but I know I can obsess about the pace and get downhearted to the point of quitting if it's not where I wanted it to be. Good stuff.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - was windy out today for sure, although you shouldn't compare too closely anyway, as there's so many variables involved, but rather look to see a trend.

Cracking stuff on the reverse 5k, id be falling over.

After a couple of weeks in the 8mm armchair i did 10m inc 10x3min today, bit of a shock but good stuff, and i worked hard so happy days.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Wool & TR - true, both.

Even this many years in, very obviously into wind, i'm still condoning it in my head. Obsessed! It's why I'm glad I don't take it to resting HR and weight like some do.

The fastest 2 miles by a big margin were the ones in the other direction, so it's pretty clear.

Nice sleep, and we enjoy a more leisurely effort tomorrow - certainly won't push to any level, and no pressure on the pace at all.

Will have to weigh up Thursday as starting a 2 day virtual course. As I haven't had to use my brain for a month or so, it "might" be clever to either go THUR OFF, or run in the evening, or go shorter, or something...we'll see.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work TR. That's a testing session after a couple of weeks of steady paced fare.  I must try and get some speed work in at some point, a bit more structure than the odd fartlek, but seems it has to be in a ten miler currently :smiley:

A nice symmetrical (if OCD busting) 8:49M at 8:49 pace. Shame it was 982 ft rather than 849 :smiley: Relatively slow, the back was still a bit sore and even the old knee issue wanted to get in on the act, but 'twas ever so and I'm still feel very lucky just to get out and about for an hour or so in nice surroundings, so not really keen on taking the sensible move of a couple of days off just yet!

Can't work out whether this sunny, dry weather is getting boring now or if we should just be grateful each time!!!  It's an increasingly bizarre long dry spell for the time of year, with seemingly no end in sight, but seems to fit well with the weird state of stasis we find ourselves in!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good un Bus. I think id prefer warmer over windy. Though neither ideally!

Tr sorry, missed the sesh. Always a shock to the system!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Started gently today, with a 7.30 mile for TR, but it just sort of flowed after that and became 7.11 all in.

It's hard not to think of the 5miles out on this route as flat, but on the strava it's about 115 feet down!

Now 18feet a mile isn't much to worry about really, but it'd rule it out of say, that 5k challenge - limit 10feet a mile.

It also explains why that old Wycombe half route felt such a trudge back to the last mile of the park! Wasn't even the massive hill in the first mile that wrecked you, was more the imperceptible incline late doors. Especially one particularly super dull stretch.

Think i'll break the 10s tomorrow and do a 6 or 7. Have an all day Excel Advanced course day 1, so a mix of a proper wake up for the first time on a week day in a month of 6am, plus needing to think (!) probably mean a shorter one is sensible.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

ps if anyone is after any running gear, wiggle offer £10 off any order over £50 for a new customer (unique email address!)

Those Adios 5 sit at a ridiculous £130 but Wiggle had already taken £39 off. Add the £10 discount, and you suddenly have a very reasonable £80.95

(Though oddly they'd moved the price up a fiver today versus Sunday)

Nice.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Slight incline all the way from Wooburn, and often into a headwind along Kingsmead :smile:

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Can i edit that 18feet average to 23. Whoops😱💩
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Jools - loved the race report. Kiss stops indeed!!!

SG -Hope the Adios are OK - I would have bought them, but the reviews aren't good, all saying a change from the previous versions. I did say that a few pages back due to me choosing the Hokas. Anyway, at least you haven't go the 4's to compare against! I'm sure they'll be OK.

Muddy - I'd say the Nike don't look like the future, going by the Adidas Pro, Asics Metaracer etc, which both look more normal. But will depend on how good the new ones are though.

8 miles yesterday, 9 today, around 6.30 mm. Busy out there, I think the lockdown is starting to fray a bit.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Simon - the reviews I saw said the opposite - moving away from the disappointing 4s, to a quality version :)

I did see on the wiggle site that the 4s had a message of "go 1/2 a size bigger", but 5s didn't.

But as I wear a roomy size anyway, should be ok. Though i'm preparing for an initial "heck these are tight" feel as per the early 2000s, but they were fine.

No real loss, as I can't imagine they'll be appalling, and if they're not superb, it could be a one off return to the Adios glory days, and I could move back to the Hyperions as the B racer/quality shoe.

The bigger decision is whether I go Vaporfly again. They're still on about 67miles though, so no rush to decide!

You're right that eventually Nike's dominance will wear off. Is it me, or was Nike not considered much of a serious runner's shoe brand not so long ago?  Or am I wrong there?

However, in the short term, you'd be a brave soul to risk any other carbon plate before it's sure they're anywhere near as good. If they're not, just go for a cheaper traditional racer surely?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Didnt those Adidas have a plate back in the day,? It just wasnt carbon.

SG - 7.30 ! You snail, i sometimes only just scrape inyo the 8s at the start of a run.

12m tonight.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

TR - not sure about back in the day, but you may well be right about some sort of plate recently . I watched a few review videos and the shoe he was bending wouldn't "give" as much as some racers, due to it.

I'm borderline excited about getting this shoe :)

I'm really hoping it feels as good as it used to do, and if it did I'd be open to racing in it again as the first choice.

I'm hoping both the single digit mass of runs, and also running late morning/around midday each day is building something. And not just fatigue and habit :)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Nike.

I had some of the original Nike Air about 30 years back, but along with Reebok and Brooks, they all got shelved after my first pair of ASICS.

Christ! those were good. All niggles disappeared overnight, which was some going on road only running.

Nike were good for racers though. The Nike Air Mariah was a classic, but the rest of the brand seemed to become the preserve of Rap style types. 

I imagine those guys did run for some reason, though to be fair, even Nike couldn't couldn't come up with a design that avoided being tasered, maced or even shot, on completion of some sort of speed work.

Currently I road run in a pair of limited edition Nikes (flat sole - no tread) and my favourite New Balance RC 1400's. 
    No problem knocking off 20 milers in either.

Just as well I like running for the sake of the activity itself, rather than it being used simply as a way of competing and winning at something. Sounds to me a sport like archery would be less effort.

Anyway, I only run every third day. That's because I like running without any niggles to keep me alert.

To be fair, I once spent most of the time carrying something. Winter was always a write off and 12 weeks was a long unbroken training spell. 

However, once I learned that injuries were the result of training errors, I sorted it out.

Cycling has moved up a level. Three and four hour rides. Just eat and drink on the ride and easily sustainable and repeatable.

Now again I get overtaken by someone set on a Strava segment. I'm not fussed. It doesn't matter.

Lets face it, cycling Strava segments are a type of competition and some have thousands on. The running versions are by comparison, a bit sad really. 

I've the odd piece of success with Strava on the bike here and there, but topping the list is usually just an age group thing. My lad by contrast has the make up of a Stage race sprinter. Managing to top whole packs of riders with some audacious sprints. 

For example, on one particular stretch, full out and with no flagging, I averaged 21 mph and hit 25 mph top speed. The lad by contrast averaged faster than my top speed for the lot.

I still find it difficult to get my head around the idea of over 12,000 different cyclists going down the same bit of road.

🙂

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I remember the first nike waffle trainers around 1981, i had a pair of the first Pegasus too but that was a few years after the waffles i had, i recently bought a pair of Pegasus version 36.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Impressive two wheel action there Ric!

Pretty sure there’s been no plate in the Adios before, not sure what material the plates would be made out of back in the day. 

Oh that’s good then SG hopefully they will be good for you. They’ve been great for me over the years I think I had version three and four, they will definitely be your racers for 10 mile and a half marathons I preferred racers for 10 K and below.

Regarding the other races with carbon plates the Adidas pro has flown off the shelves apparently which isn’t a surprise as the reputation is good and they are only £160. Although it’s still expensive  it’s worth a flutter for a lot of people.   I’m really pleased with the hokas and at £117 they are not too bad price wise and the lockdown has helped in saving money this month!   
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Never used Adidas myself but i think it was a plastic plate? Good to see competition for Nike though.

My 4% have only been used once at Chichester, not sure when there'll get used next either. Bought a pair of kinvara recently for £50 and they could potentially be faster for me anyway as i usually race in training shoes.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    For some reason, back in the winter I decided that I wouldn't buy any more shoes until I'd worn out the others first.

This could take some time.

I'm fortunate to have a running action/foot plant that applies a handy longevity to footwear.

Here's a typical example:

The question is:

What is the minimum miles have I run in these? Btw, its a racer.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I remember you raced at Staines 2017 but not sure of many races since (maybe one or two max. But of course you might have done sessions in them. Or they might be yonks old?

But it's clearly going to be a big number hence you asking 😄😄

Just a 6 for me then. Best not turn up at the training sesh knackered.

Though debating various 5k challenge times until midnight didn't help make the first 6am wakeup in a month!

A chap at our club doing a net 115 feet drop in his and a football player claiming a 16.01 starting at 3.30 and finishing with 6.00 for the last two km the most notable.
    Obvious reps and watch stop job