Moraghan Training - Stevie G

1165416551657165916601708

Comments

  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    interesting Ric, I don't have a PhD in physics but I would be very surprised if you can revitalize the performance of a pair of shoes by changing the insoles. I would have thought it was more about permanent loss of re-bound in the sole-forming foam material. I can see why a new pair of insoles could make them feel quite different though, I'll dig a fresh pair out of the cupboard. 

    Totally agree that some pairs of the same shoes feel different. Not had that with the VF though, they've all been ace  B)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ouch Bus, hopefully it'll be ok to run on if you can spread the load accross the foot. Id ice the wound, and put some antiseptic cream on it.

    SG - are they the new carbon plate ones ?

    Day off work today, as i have loads of leave backed up, did 11m and some work in the garden.

    Had some beer delivered from the local brewery so I'll be on that later.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Wool said:
    interesting Ric, I don't have a PhD in physics but I would be very surprised if you can revitalize the performance of a pair of shoes by changing the insoles. I would have thought it was more about permanent loss of re-bound in the sole-forming foam material. I can see why a new pair of insoles could make them feel quite different though, I'll dig a fresh pair out of the cupboard. 

    Totally agree that some pairs of the same shoes feel different. Not had that with the VF though, they've all been ace  B)
    Wool, that subtle difference achieved by changing the insole seemed in my case to lead to improved running. 

    Was it the constantly changing variation in the foot plant that led to this? I think so. 

    I used to run with some sort of arch support. No longer.

    I tried orthotics, and tore ligaments and strained tendons using them. No surprise really. They work by forcing and blocking your foot from it's natural action. Anyway, if you land on the forefoot, they are rendered redundant.

    I did try minimalist. Those went in the bin too. There are limits and those are the preserve of those who can run down a road wearing just socks. 

    Normal trainers seemed to stop my feet doing much work at all. So the move to training in racers worked well if enough cushioning was involved.

    I did try a super light pair at the last edition of the Staines 10k that I did. They weighed 4oz each, and the lack of cushioning and my lack of everything else, ensured that my calf muscles gave up the ghost by about two miles.

    Pete was in that race as well, and for quite a while we were closely matched. Until he ran away.

     Yes, I could blame the shoes, but in reality, Pete was always destined to cane my arse. Just a question of when?

  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭


    TR- not for £80 I wouldn't think. Although in fairness they are retail of £130, which isn't messing about. There may be some sort of firmer plate type thing in them, they certainly are harder to bend than the hyperions, and not just because the latter is clattered (!)....but not the carbon bouncer.

    Adidas Pro is the carbon job.

    I struggle to throw shoes out. I just found the first pair of Hyperions I had. Red - glorious design, way better than the Black.

    A bit of a hole in both top fronts, but you suddenly put them on and think, hang on... but then I checked the mileage and it's 570, similar to what I'm binning pair 2 on. You know when a shoe is clattered, and these badboys are.

  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    TR - I've also got a keg of local beer with my name on it, so glad I can't pick up the Dr's prescription for antibiotics until tomorrow :smile: It's actually hurting a lot less now thank goodness and I can just about hobble around. Still very swollen though and definitely no running on the cards!
     
    The other problem with the midsoles of old shoes is the foam can decay over time anyway, regardless of use, and lose it's rebound-ability. You also sometimes find that the glue holding the outsole on can fail after years of keeping them in a box!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭
    edited April 24
    RicF said:




    I did try a super light pair at the last edition of the Staines 10k that I did. They weighed 4oz each, and the lack of cushioning and my lack of everything else, ensured that my calf muscles gave up the ghost by about two miles.

    Pete was in that race as well, and for quite a while we were closely matched. Until he ran away.

     Yes, I could blame the shoes, but in reality, Pete was always destined to cane my arse. Just a question of when?


    2017 job seems a long time ago, as that as my last 10k , which is a shocker. Got to get a 10k in when the chance arises again. Can easily happen with certain distances - I had a 5 1/2 year gap for 10milers, but then two within 6months.

    Have you raced since then Ric? I remember an aborted Staines (or 2?), and Norfolk relays not happening.

    But seem to vaguely recall there something else in there? Maybe just a parkrun?

  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭
    edited April 24
    The Bus said:
    TR - I've also got a keg of local beer with my name on it, so glad I can't pick up the Dr's prescription for antibiotics until tomorrow :smile: It's actually hurting a lot less now thank goodness and I can just about hobble around. Still very swollen though and definitely no running on the cards!
     
    The other problem with the midsoles of old shoes is the foam can decay over time anyway, regardless of use, and lose it's rebound-ability. You also sometimes find that the glue holding the outsole on can fail after years of keeping them in a box!

    Also, even for us tightwads, there's still that thrill of choosing, ordering, receiving, and posing wearing just pants and the shoes in front of the mirror.

    Just cramming an insole into the old pair isn't quite the same thrill.

  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You genuinely stand in front of the mirror with your new shoes wearing just your pants SG? That is an interesting insight indeed  :smiley:




    Personally I like to sniff my new shoes......
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 24
    First of all, SG, those shoes would look so much better in orange...or even salmon pink!

    Moraghan: yes, I understood that you weren't running down your street at 8pm on a Thursday! I presume there isn't much tennis at present!

    Bus: that doesn't look the greatest of injuries!

    I'm with Ric on quite a few things! First of all, re orthotics. I was prescribed orthotics (22nd July 2002...the guy in before me was someone called Rio Ferdinand, having his "foot" medical on the day that he signed for SG's team...I digress) due to metatarsal trouble. Designed to go in the Asics 2000 series, but to be worn all day every day as well as for running. Roll forward a decade or so and I was repeatedly having Achilles trouble. Saw a consultant who had performed various Achilles ops on a few north-west athletes; he did a few calculations, then threw my orthotics in the bin! He said that the Achilles problems were effectively an over-use injury, holding the foot in the same place all the time and not letting the foot have any natural movement. As a further consequence the Achilles had been constantly going into its sheaf at the wrong angle (I await a comment...), causing not only inflammation but a build up of gunge: the ensuing op was to clean out the sheaf so that the Achilles could move freely. Job done. 

    Re insoles, I frequently take out the insoles that come with the shoes after a couple of months and then use a sorbothane insole. The Achilles guy also advocates mixing things up in terms of a range of shoes, a range of surfaces, and to aid the foot's natural ability to accommodate changes, to use heel pads under some of the insoles (not the sorbothane as they are too bulky). 

    TR: not much cricket...

    Jools: I first saw Dr Hill place third in the 1964 National, wearing spikes, although Bruce Tulloh was barefoot. I met Ron for real in 1968 when there was an open hour race before he set his world record and he was encouraging us schoolboys! Fast forward to the early 70s and I met him again when I came to Uni: there is a strong past cross country club members tradition at Manchester. (Touring team is called Alehouse, hence my name). Ron was frequently involved and have had a lot to do with him over the years. We once ran 18 miles together, barefoot on grass around one of the uni sports' complexes (20 laps of 0.9 miles!). We were chatting about that a few years ago: we wouldn't do it now due to too many ring pulls, broken bottles etc. Don't know how anybody ran barefoot on a cinder track though! 
    Unfortunately Ron isn't in a great place at present: I last saw him in January and he was certainly struggling with his dementia.  I saw John Whetton about a month ago and he had visited Ron in February and although they were once great friends, Ron couldn't remember him. Very sad. The present situation will certainly not be helping him. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    You genuinely stand in front of the mirror with your new shoes wearing just your pants SG? That is an interesting insight indeed  :smiley:




    Personally I like to sniff my new shoes......


    Haha, just checking who was reading every word up :D

    Kept it PG friendly too.

    And did weigh up putting "sniff", but that's a bit deviant ;)

  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭

    Aley - always glad to hear your take on things. Certainly glad I don't have to wear any "extras".

    Only thing I ever did was in the early Marlow years wear what was a support round the back of my achilles. Probably next to useless, but probably a placebo, and something that just needed to be stretched out, not wearing that ridiculous glorified white sock :o


    Are you running much after all that back nightmare?

  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    The back isn't quite right, SG...in fact the only bit of me that is, is the Achilles I had rebuilt! Really the biggest issue at the moment is the present virus: at my age, and with a history of asthma and prostate cancer, I am in a fairly high risk group. Have discussed what to do with one of my ex GB team doctor friends and we have agreed that I will run about half an hour most days, and perhaps 45 minutes a couple times a week. All fairly gentle to help maintain the immune system rather than drain it by anything fast, sessions, hills etc. About 35k last week and won't be going much over 40 I imagine. And I am remembering to stretch and strengthen, mainly based on Pilates work. Bet you wished you hadn't asked! Probably be at November's LFoM: don't suppose there will be one much before then!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭
    edited April 24

    Sounds more positive than it could - but obviously counter balanced by this damn virus. Plenty of supplementary work - and you'll do it cleverly, unlike the time Lit gave me some Pilates vids, and I idiotically did a tonne on day 1 - inevitably locking myself up. That lasted 6 months!

    Was only a few months ago there was a quick story, "virus in China" and that cruise ship, and we all thought "that's a shame" and carried on without a thought :(

    Let's hope there's an Autumn racing campaign!

    I haven't driven in 5 weeks now. Haven't been at work in 4 weeks. This is crazy times!

  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

    Bus - no shame there mate, I've been a 'new trainer inhaler' for 40 years. One of the best smells ever!

    Wool - that's mega 'glass half empty' with no big races in 2021. I'm sure all the autumn races will be cancelled, but I'm sure some will go ahead next year, although they may be post a vaccine I suppose.

    So I'm hobbling around today as I thought I'd do a proper session yesterday over the tarmac track over the road. Few idiots dragging their dogs around the concrete, but generally not too bad. Opted for the 5 x (600,400,300,200) off 60 secs recovery, no extra between sets. Bloody hard, but came out ok, 1.52's for the 600's 72's for the 4's, about 51 for the 300's and 32's for the 2's. Struggled a bit in the heat, and with the Adidas Takumi sen's on concrete I knew that although gladly my leg was fine during the session, that I would pay a bit today.

    Went out this morning and did a tortuous 4.8 miles, Garmin said 7.01 miling, somehow! Going to attempt the 8 x 1k again tomorrow depending on the leg, the Hokas should make for a more comfy ride. Then a beer and see what footie the BBC will stick on in the afternoon - last week they did the 1990 semi finals, superb!

    Re - the Thursday clap - I'm done with it. Finally, the predictable outing on Facebook of a 'non clapper'. It was nice for the first few weeks, but as usual the public have gone OTT. Its just a back slapping fest now, to make people feel better about themselves. I work in the NHS and vote Labour, so no guilt here. Sorry, my frustration with this has finally boiled over....thanks for hearing me out ;) I know there's plenty who feel the same as me.

    Perhaps it a little cabin fever too.....


  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 24
    SC! Just realised it is the last Friday of April! At least I won't be paying London prices in the alehouse! Which I would almost gladly do!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Thorn injury sounds nasty Bus, hope the meds help clear it up. Can’t believe how many posts but I guess none of you now have anyone seeing your computer screen 😄.

    Nice sessions SG/SC, I’ve stood in the mirror trying on new shoes in my pmts before 😂. I feel like I am on this Excel course, it’s one of the few things I am very adept at already though.

    A chap actually ran down our street whilst the happy clappy stuff was happening last night, he was clapping as he ran so actually felt a bit awkward 😀.

    Ive had a few days off and put a bit bike ride in yesterday 80 miles at 21 mph but I was on the TT bike for the second time this year and my neck was killing me after 50 miles, I was planning on 100 miles but couldn’t take it any more. 

    Decided to put an effort in for the TVXC 5k tonight. I was actually just lazing in a sun lounger in the garden when reading the Facebook posts of the others that had done it so it was a bit of an impulsive decision.

    Anyway condition la were perfect so I headed over to a nice flat road route. Legs felt ok despite the bike ride. I’d not run quickly or hard since the proper TVXC whenever that was so I was pleased to get through the first mile in 5:22 and then follow that up with a pair of 5:38s to finish in 17:12. Pleasing for a solo effort with no speed work. Probably could have gone sub 17 in a race as it was hard but not too hurty!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭
    That's a heck of a solo turn out.

    Ps will bear the excel skills in mind as i did a lovely Friday night macro...closed  and the bastard had disappeared and 30mins trying couldn't work out why

    Try again tomorrow..work laptop next time🍷😙
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    SCoombes2 said:

    Wool - that's mega 'glass half empty' with no big races in 2021. I'm sure all the autumn races will be cancelled, but I'm sure some will go ahead next year, although they may be post a vaccine I suppose.
    My typo Simon. I meant until, wrote in. Soz!! Agree, spring 2021 is where all the pent up energy will be released!!

    good shift that Reg. Solo, warm day. Impressive.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭
    Good spot on that 2021 deet Simon! Sometimes the thread explodes with tonnes of posters getting involved so the odd deet is easily missed...you get over your injuries like you run and race.
    Fast!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey - absolute flurry of activity on here! Love the tales of Dr Hill Aley - the 18 miles barefoot with him is brilliant! 

    Reg - wowzers that's fast for a solo 5k!

    Simon - I know what you mean about the Thursday thing. Fundamentally it's a good thing to do of course, but when you are in rural Bucks surrounded by hypocrites who voted down the NHS recently and even the bloody TV is instructing you to go and clap NOW it's all becoming a wee bit contrived and big brotherish!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited April 24
    Heal up swiftly Bus. I’ve had blackthorn through the shoe before but fortunately I was only walking at the time so less impact. I didn’t suffer any serious ill effects btw.
    Great memories Alehouse. Thanks for sharing & keep well.
    Good to hear you’re back doing ridiculously speedy sessions already Simon.
    Fucking hell Reg. Your biking certainly has kept you fit & even 80M at a phenomenal average didn’t do your run speed any harm! I’d be stiff as anything after that kind of mileage.
    Love new trainers - was mighty pissed to sully the new Boston’s before running Sunday when I skidded down an ash pile whilst finding a discreet place to relieve myself 🤣
    Repeated yesterday’s run but completed the full 2.2M 2nd loop to make it 10M & 1300’ at 8:15 average. After 10K there’s a 1.01M climb of 626ft so looks like the perfect Murder Mile training ground. I was a bit over 11 minutes on it today but though it was hard work that wasn’t a full on race effort. I did hit the bottom at about 5:15 so very warm too.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    RicF said:




    I did try a super light pair at the last edition of the Staines 10k that I did. They weighed 4oz each, and the lack of cushioning and my lack of everything else, ensured that my calf muscles gave up the ghost by about two miles.

    Pete was in that race as well, and for quite a while we were closely matched. Until he ran away.

     Yes, I could blame the shoes, but in reality, Pete was always destined to cane my arse. Just a question of when?


    2017 job seems a long time ago, as that as my last 10k , which is a shocker. Got to get a 10k in when the chance arises again. Can easily happen with certain distances - I had a 5 1/2 year gap for 10milers, but then two within 6months.

    Have you raced since then Ric? I remember an aborted Staines (or 2?), and Norfolk relays not happening.

    But seem to vaguely recall there something else in there? Maybe just a parkrun?

    Of the top of my head SG, I've had a couple of parkruns, the Hillingdon Christmas day morning 3.2 miles and my local clubs Summer League fixture.

    That's all since Staines.

    I don't miss racing and all it entails. The returns on the hassle made the venture for me not worth the effort.

    Regrets of past racing? there were maybe a handful. Two ten mile races where I ran Pb's but would have been over a minute faster in each but for some mishap. At the time I assumed beating those times was a given. Gone for good!

    Marathon? My pb is ten minutes soft. But in the context of the average, seems pretty swift. I don't mind that. I ran half a dozen before deciding that feeling ill during a race is something I can do without.

    Some people seem to like testing themselves to the point of death for fun, but I'm not one of them. Quality of life and all that. I don't need a visit to A & E to remind me I'm lucky to be alive.

    My HM pb was an execution at my absolute limit. I was upset at the finish because I knew that I would never be able to beat that time. Everything went right. Training, body weight... I ran negative splits, slowest mile first, final mile faster by 15 seconds. 

    Right now, my HR reacts too slowly for any increased demand placed upon it. On any run or ride I'm going well, but my HR is really low as well. I'll hit a hill or go to speed things up and there's a bloody awful delay which puts me into an oxygen debt bad enough to make me stop.

    I'll pause for a mere handful of seconds, set off again, and it's easier. Stop start, stop start and finally my HR gets high enough to deliver what I'm after.

    No one can race with that nonsense going on. Especially when the main advantage anyone has is being able to absorb that initial delay in equilibrium. Just think of the start of the average XC?

    With one of those. My race would be over in about 40 seconds.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    alehouse said:
    First of all, SG, those shoes would look so much better in orange...or even salmon pink!

    Moraghan: yes, I understood that you weren't running down your street at 8pm on a Thursday! I presume there isn't much tennis at present!

    Bus: that doesn't look the greatest of injuries!

    I'm with Ric on quite a few things! First of all, re orthotics. I was prescribed orthotics (22nd July 2002...the guy in before me was someone called Rio Ferdinand, having his "foot" medical on the day that he signed for SG's team...I digress) due to metatarsal trouble. Designed to go in the Asics 2000 series, but to be worn all day every day as well as for running. Roll forward a decade or so and I was repeatedly having Achilles trouble. Saw a consultant who had performed various Achilles ops on a few north-west athletes; he did a few calculations, then threw my orthotics in the bin! He said that the Achilles problems were effectively an over-use injury, holding the foot in the same place all the time and not letting the foot have any natural movement. As a further consequence the Achilles had been constantly going into its sheaf at the wrong angle (I await a comment...), causing not only inflammation but a build up of gunge: the ensuing op was to clean out the sheaf so that the Achilles could move freely. Job done. 

    Re insoles, I frequently take out the insoles that come with the shoes after a couple of months and then use a sorbothane insole. The Achilles guy also advocates mixing things up in terms of a range of shoes, a range of surfaces, and to aid the foot's natural ability to accommodate changes, to use heel pads under some of the insoles (not the sorbothane as they are too bulky). 

    TR: not much cricket...

    Jools: I first saw Dr Hill place third in the 1964 National, wearing spikes, although Bruce Tulloh was barefoot. I met Ron for real in 1968 when there was an open hour race before he set his world record and he was encouraging us schoolboys! Fast forward to the early 70s and I met him again when I came to Uni: there is a strong past cross country club members tradition at Manchester. (Touring team is called Alehouse, hence my name). Ron was frequently involved and have had a lot to do with him over the years. We once ran 18 miles together, barefoot on grass around one of the uni sports' complexes (20 laps of 0.9 miles!). We were chatting about that a few years ago: we wouldn't do it now due to too many ring pulls, broken bottles etc. Don't know how anybody ran barefoot on a cinder track though! 
    Unfortunately Ron isn't in a great place at present: I last saw him in January and he was certainly struggling with his dementia.  I saw John Whetton about a month ago and he had visited Ron in February and although they were once great friends, Ron couldn't remember him. Very sad. The present situation will certainly not be helping him. 
    Welcome all from insomniac's central.

    Seems one side effect of averaging around 20 hours of endurance training per week and 'that' diet, is that the volume of sleep I require has dropped off a cliff.

    Yesterday I felt like a kip around 8:00pm. At 10:00pm I was awake and stayed awake until 1:30 am, when I thought that maybe I should try sleeping again. I lasted until 4:00 am. At 5:00 am I nodded off for 45 minutes and that's all.

    This pattern has been in play now for weeks. I did have one sleep which lasted 6 hours but that was an exception. 

    Re: Aley. Seems that your experience with orthotics was the same as mine. It's that mechanically induced restriction of movement at the business end of the foot plant that did the same as in concentrating all the forces in one spot.

    For me, I ended up damaging the ankle ligaments followed by the Achilles tendon which hadn't evolved to protect de-stablised joints.

    I run in different shoes and on different surfaces as well. Change of terrain, change of pace, distance. Everything.

    I constantly mix things up which may upset some others sense that there 'must' be order for the process to be valid. But I work to fundamentals, basics and first principles. By getting bogged down in the details there's the likelihood that the bigger picture is missed completely.

    'Can't see the woods for the trees' type of thing. 

    I have the odd discussion with laddo in the house about what it is I'm trying to achieve with all the training I'm doing right now.

    The answer is simple. I like doing it, because I can, and that I can eat more if I do and not turn into the average health risk that most guys my age have turned into.

    The fact that more guys my age are being culled by the Corona Virus than any other age group/gender is telling. I'd rather not join them, though I think I may have already met up with Covid-19!

    That's because I believe my wife and son have had it. They came back from a hospital appointment in mid March, and five days later both developed symptoms that appeared to be like a common cold, but then again, not the same. Dry coughing from the lad - he's said he could feel his chest involved. His mum, less so.

    Two weeks later they were better. Me? nothing that I was aware of. Which was unusual. Odds on I'd catch any buy the others did.

    Anyway, it's let me off doing any garden jobs. People have phoned wanting me to cut grass etc, because 'other gardeners are'. And I give them several reasons why I'm not:

    1. I'm following the lock down rules concerning visiting other residences.
    2. Gardening isn't a key occupation.
    3. I don't have to do it anyway, and
    4. How do they know I'm not a asymptomatic carrier of Covid-19?

    The problem that is going on at the moment with the virus and some people's attitude towards it is this.

    There's quite a few who say, 'Look, I want to get on with what I like doing, I'm prepared to take my chances with this Virus'.

    Well that's all well and good buster, but are you aware that just because 'you' are prepared to take your chances with this virus, it doesn't follow that those around you are equally willing to take 'your' chances with you.

    Too many unknowns.





  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    It depends on which service you use but somewhere between 17:55 - > 17:57 for my 5k this morning. Mile splits: 5:49, 46, 45 so perhaps left a little bit out there but it’s not that easy solo and without any real focussed training so content to show some progress since my 87 at Wokee HM earlier in the year. 

    Hope the clubs can keep this kind of thing up as it’s given me something to think about / focus on the last few days. Look forward to see if SG can go sub 17 in his effort.  B)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice one Wool. SG at the bare minimum should be trying to beat mine, although having used miles mine did come up a fraction short at 4.99 km. so I can add 1 second. Although Garmin gave me 17:11 so I’d settle for 17:13-17:15. It is worthwhile getting involved in these things. We’re doing similar in virtual cycling and I am actually doing more competitive cycling/running than normal. Being the father of two young ones it’s nice to have everyone else in the same confinement situation 😂
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭
    edited April 25
    Nice one Wool. I'm busy doing my base spell, so suddenly trying to boot a fast solo 5k doesn't fit any objective for me. Fair do"s to those gaining the revelry from it though. Anything that keeps people engaged is good.

    Ric - now that was an interesting read. Made me wonder if i stopped now what racing regrets I"d have. 

    I think my 5m, 10k, 10m and HM sync up pretty decently. Maybe if 2015s massive bump in the road hadn't totally hijacked things there may have been another round of improvements.
    But as the peak was spring 2013, 2015 was still 2 years off, so it certainly wasn't a given.
    But im happy they were fairly drillled down.

    3k and 5k probably not quite as much. The former being a very rarely done distance of course.
    But the 5k i got within 3secs of my . early 2010s pb in 2018. And you'd think the shorter the distance the less likely of getting closer. As probably should have beaten 1653 back then.
    However, the other distances were the focus and I'm happy with that basket
    (While keen to see how close i can at least get back there)

    Mile pb might have some sway still! Mostly through only first doing one in 2016 maybe.

    But racing has so much more than just times of course. The challenge, the rivals, the whole build up. Meeting pals old and new - i can turn up up and down the country and more often than not know someone - small scene!

    Travel to see places. But that sheer satisfaction of finishing. More so the longer the race i think, whilst not particularly wanting to wipe out for a marathon!!

    But 220 or so races in, i look forward to the return of racing with renewed vigour.
    No lose in a lot of ways.
    Any first races back will have little pressure on time. And then next time out beat it etc.
    I look forward to getting under that 79.51 wokey again as soon as possible.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Wool! Sub 18 solo is impressive.

    SG - no reason why you can't still have PBs ahead for a few years yet, though some of them will definitely take some beating!

    Regrets are pretty pointless things, but my biggest disappointments race wise are not going sub 36 for 10k and being miles away from a 2:4X marathon, even though it really should have happened!!!

    No running today. Might consider a bike ride later (but might struggle to even get my shoe on if the swelling doesn't subside!). 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭
    With results you probably need to look at beating the recent first. And allow yourself a good opportunity to beat them.

    When you race a distance say once in 6months, it has got to all go well on that day!

    Id like to for instance do 3-4 x 5milers next year. Rather than put it all into the Marlow 5 which can be a hot day and that's your chance.
    Chuck Victory, Hatfield and another in and much better spread.

    Bus- your marathon comment and also a timehop memory on fb reminded me of Phil's terrific 2.50 maybe 7-8 years back.
    Phil's spot on approach saw him finish a lot faster than people with a lot quicker half marathon times. It was spot on.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

    Interesting reading Ric - good points. There's many accounts of people we know that are sure they have had it - which probably means the mortality rate is probably around 1%.

    Great solo 5k Reg, very swift

    SG - Races wise, as you get older, those 'age group PB's are probably he best things to go for. I mean my 4.04 1500 PB is definitely not under threat, but the 4.12 indoors gave me hope that the 4.08 V45 best could have been threatened - sadly I won't have a chance to try now.

    Right- time to try some 1k reps. Think just to stretch the legs this week .Any excuse to put the Hoka's on again!

  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope you're healing up a bit Bus

    Sharp 5k of minimal running Reg.

    Wool - sub 18 ia good going solo too, hopefully a good sign.

    Simon - good to see you getting back to it.

    16 here today, had a solid week (10,11,10,12,11,11,16).
Sign In or Register to comment.