Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Bus (and this didn't need to be in three separate posts) that is the beauty of having different sports to your beau!
    Bow? :D
    Good that you’re enjoying the bike Bus. Hopefully the break from running will help your other niggles clear up.
    That’s some walk & a cracking pace over that distance too Pete.
    Onwards & upwards MF. Once you get going I’m sure you’re make swift progress.
    I predict an A* for your TT MH.
    13.6M for me today including . . . . . a proper session! 8x1K off 2’30” Average rep pace 3:54, ranging from 3:49-3:57. Jogged the first 3 recoveries before switching to 90s walk/60s jog as I needed the rest. The 4M home was tough especially the 450’ final climb from 19K :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    No.beau..boy friend or male admirer 😂😂

Whoops.

I wrote Jules instead of jewels somewhere earlier. I would blame you Jools but obvs a different spelling there too!

Good sesh.

Some kid took one of my segs and wrote a little taunt to me on the heading 😂.
    Had a chuckle about it with the club but had to stop some of them taking it a bit too seriously and getting over there and taking the seg back!

Roll on two days and the kid has mailed us about joining as the other men's captain added him on strava. 😄
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hey - don't judge on my relationship with my bike. It's purely platonic :smiley:

Nice sessh in the middle of a long un there Jools!

You've still got to take that segment back SG!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Might be months til im back over that way. And think he's escalated it to needing about 66second 400m pace on a less than smooth path, so won't be casually taken!

Two day course on Visio starting today, so early 8 done and dusted.

Felt relaxed and even with natural ramp up late on a 7.12
    Resisted some handy cross bloke the other side of the road storming past then easing. Clearly doing a sesh of some nature.
  • SG - images of you barreling around topless are now seared onto my brain. I think topless running should be illegal, unless you're either running on a beach or a hot country where it's 30 degrees +, or, in for a official world record attempt ;)

Matt - love a bit of accountability, and like others, I think 5:30 is soft. Get stuck in son!!

Bus - nice to see you enjoying some outdoor riding. I'm not really sure what that is though.

Reg - got you in my sights, it's good we seem to be motivating each other. I reckon I could hold 350w for 20 mins right now, but I'm probably slightly heavier than you @ 73kg. 

Like Reg says, living on my trainer right now. I've averaged 350 miles on the bike in the last 4 weeks (all inside), which is around 18-19 hours a week. On top of that I've been running 30 miles or so, but mostly easy stuff. 

It's pretty good as me and the boss have the trainers set up side by side so we can just train together, have a bit of a chat and while away the time. 

I thought that in the current climate of zero turnouts, I could write a brief one on my 5km effort this morning;

I've been having a crack every 2 weeks, for no good reason apart from a bit of fun. Add to that only doing bike sessions and no hard running, I've got zero expectation of logging good times, just see what happens. Last 3 efforts have been 18:10, 17:36 and 17:30.

The normal nervy hour of prep and 'waking myself up' ahead of the self-imposed 7:30am start time. 20 mins of warm up with a few strides and I'm ready to go after a couple of bush dives. Starting solo efforts is always really odd, I just stand around, usually trying to put it off for as long as possible, before you accept that you're probably going to have to get going.

5 second countdown in my head, and I'm off haring down the bandstand straight at Battersea Park. Dog walkers everywhere, I give them a frantic stare that I hope pleads with them to alter their path slightly.

I never seem to be able to get going that quickly, especially in these solo jobbies. First KM passes in 3:28, which is roughly the same as my prior efforts. Feeling alright here though. Start to open up the legs and try and find a rhythm. Next KM comes in 3:23 and I'm in the mix (not sure for what, but I'm not unraveling). 

Into the mid-section, with the usual thoughts of 'what's the point, it's not going to count anyway. Jog it in from here and you'll still have an alright time'. Push them away as I see Katie battling some 1 mile reps coming the other way. Third KM in 3:26. Still ok. 

Moderate traffic but anyway who spots me seems to clock on that I'm putting a shift in so I've got a pretty clear run. KM 4 in 3:26 and I'm already dreaming of the finish. Head down, let's see what we've got. You guys know the feeling, it feels like your hearts going to explode but you've just got to keep pushing.

Stupidly, start slowing down at 4.98km and I'm walking over the line as it beeps for 5. Twat. Somehow, I've dropped a 3:20 final KM for a 17:05. 2nd fastest 5km of all time, just 7 seconds off the PB. Cue crumpled heap on the floor.

That PB is 3 years old, and at times I've felt I'd never get back to anywhere near it. Pretty chuffed with that, but don't want to rest on my laurels. Let's get racing again!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Cheers JB Good report & congratulations on a cracking time.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    As on FB, SG, I loved that taunt, probably a good character. 

Nice session within a long run Jools and then a climb, a lot going on in one run.

Joe I've been hovering around 75kgs but when I am in race shape I am normally about 72/73kgs. Great 5km solo effort there, looks like I'll have to go sub 17 on my next one. Actually the next one is a 30 minute job and cover as much ground as you can, I'll take a 5km split when I do that and aim for 17:04 and then try not to capitulate in the last two miles! This week's club zwift TT which is Stage 6 is Tick Tock just over 10 miles and I am planning on trying to hold 370, let's see how that goes now I've declared it!

Club chain gang last night on Zwift was good fun and then a recovery 9 miler this morning, pace seems to be trending up, I need a new heart rate strap though as mine seems to take about 2 miles to settle down, perhaps it needs to get sweaty to conduct properly. Looked online and they're bloody expensive! Nearly £60.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    My last HRM nearly always took about 1-2 miles to warm-up/conduct read true. It died last week when rain got in & I was running recovery pace with a HR of 230 bpm!! It was a really old one - solid thing which ran right across the chest rather than the newer pop on pods. I've been through 2 of those - the straps disintegrate after a while but I've another newer one of those now so fingers crossed.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bus - how about some freezer spray.

Pete - well done to your daughter.

Matthew - sounds quick to me, long time since i did a mile race.

SG - pesky kids (in a scooby doo way).

14m here tonight.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's a heck of a casual duck into 5ks joe. That mass of cycling clearly has embiggened you.
    Just a shame it's the wrong time and outside of a race!

Should be a good chunk under 17 when it's back if you can stay decent til then😂

Reg if you hit 17.04 5k into a 30min run I'll give you Bus' wallet for the weekend 😂😂

I feel a little clunky in one knee at the mo but ok i think. Any strengthening stuff let me know..just doing some hamstring  n quad stuff at mo.

2 classic ludicrous ones to say on my next post...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    That cocky kid? He only sent an email to the (anonymous) club captain email account didn't he. Couldn't make it up.

Is enjoying his running "project" apparently.

Visio course day one.
    Got an hour in...by which time we'd got all ten people up and running and done the intros (!).

Then...the damn internet cut out.

Countless wire prods, disconnects, reboots, hub reboots, testing my other laptop, wifi and ethernet...googling errors and tips on my mobile, checking sky's site for any area Broadband issues (none), troubleshooting..checking my hub(not registering), checking with an expert at work...

(Imagine the stress building up while the time is cracking on here..and an expensive course ticking time away 😂😂😄)

Through to sky..loads of security questions following my running round the house finding cards and details...covid 19 questions (!)

Finally agreed it's the hub that's the problem..new one to be sent soon.

A good response, but the course is still a write off, it's been hours.

Let a colleague know i had to bin the course..let the instructor know.

Went to then go and sign the laptop out..

And the flaming net has come back up 😱😱

Talk about mixed feelings. Absolutely farrrrrrk sake!!!

Hopped back onto the course expecting a "what do you think you're doing son" but instead warmly greeted and quickly into the swing.
    Not sure too much had been done!

Couple of hours solo afterwards with the manual and no harm done...but what a carry on😉😄

Please work tomorrow!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It was once race reports, then session reports, then training course reports and now failing to get onto training course reports.

This is falling apart 😙
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Similar issue for me yesterday morning SG - dives you mad!  Then tonight, got back from my ride and Excel wouldn't open. Then Outlook refused to let me in.  3 hours of grumpy panic later, having uninstalled and reinstalled every possible offending item from the dodgy file sharing app teh Mrs installed through t the complete Office suite I'm back up and running and still no wiser as to what the problem was! I bloody hate IT!!!
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Gotta love the IT escapades. PowerPoint crashed for me the other day, corrupted the saved file and launched a blank autorecovery file!

That's an awesome solo TT Joe, you need some races! Are your club doing any virtual events?

Reg, I've had to replace a HRM in the past as the terminals had degraded, but not entirely sure how. Still shocks me how expensive it is, but the red HRM-Run had just been released and was even more expensive.

Jools, that's a very tidy session there, but shame about the uphill cool down!

Thanks for the confidence votes for the mile, but we'll see how it goes and hopefully you're all right.
    Had 8 x 1km in-and-out session today, with the ins at ~3:52 and the outs under 4:30. Felt fine, but hadn't left enough time after eating and had a stitch threatening the whole time, which made it feel a lot less smooth.

Been struggling with some congestion and cold-like/run down feelings for several weeks now, and it's not really eased which has been pretty irritating. Was reading a weather report with a pollen forecast... Turns out April/May is the worst time for oak pollen (although it's not the most highly allergenic), and our house is backed by several large oaks. I've never been affected by grass pollen, so didn't even think about hayfever being the cause. Gonna start some antihistamines and hopefully that'll sort it!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It can sometimes just come on Matt even if you've never had hay fever before, but also often goes a season or two later, so fingers crossed.

Joe - sorry forgot to comment on you 5k TT - cracking time that and on top of some phenomenal zwifting!!!

Nice 14 after the 13 yesterday TR - did you get bored with the tens then? :smile:

Back to the doc tomorrow as no real improvement today with this ridiculous foot injury. Bit frustrating, but there you go...
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    That's a heck of a casual duck into 5ks joe. That mass of cycling clearly has embiggened you.
    Just a shame it's the wrong time and outside of a race!

Should be a good chunk under 17 when it's back if you can stay decent til then😂

Reg if you hit 17.04 5k into a 30min run I'll give you Bus' wallet for the weekend 😂😂

The last two miles are not going to be pretty are they  :D

Looks like your segment snatcher could be a regular feature over the next couple of months. Good to see you're picking up more IT skills to forget.

I had a go at my 370w TT just now and I can safely say it's the worst 22 minutes of my sporting life! OK marathons that went wrong may be worse but for short term pain that was orrible! Went through halfway average 371 but I was already 5 minute past the point where I wanted to stop!

Averaged 361 for the second half for 365 average and a new FTP of 346w. As there's no running races going on I figure there's more space for cycling chat! So that's a good 20 watt increase over 6 weeks of zwifting at about 130 mpw. Pleased with that.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hoping there's a missing comma in that line Reg..rather than meaning I'll forget the skills 😂

Nice  🔋
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I reckon I remember about 5% of a training course on a good day 😃
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Not good Bus, hope the Doc sorts you out.
    That sounds like a world of pain Reg. Cracking progress must make it worthwhile.
    Another ‘easy’ dozen for me today. I started with a proper crack at a 700m@7% segment which starts 400m from my door. I already held the CR but only by 4s & I hadn’t really given it full beans from the start last time so was reasonably optimistic of an improvement: knocked 20s off 😎 From then on I took it easy meandering around the forest trails & quiet lanes. Was surprised by how knackered I felt during the last couple of miles until I got home & discovered I’d climbed 1900’! It was hot too as I’d not set off til almost 11.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Come on SG, standard IT fix is to power down and up, or reload software, money for old rope.

Bus - hope the doc sorts the foot........i did the 10s for a week or so, but dont want reduced running for too long. Also a weekday max of 10 makes longer wedkend runs seem a long way. Id decided to add an mlr or 2 this week, and after missing sunday due to walking with the wife i had 6 running days available. I now find myself playing a game of P and D mlr bingo and am collecting the full house of their mlr suite (11 to 16), have done 15, 13, 14 so far this week and then 12 tonight. 11 tomorrow and then 16 saturday to give me a full house.

12m today
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

TR - from working on an IT helpdesk back in the day, "is it plugged in?" and "have you rebooted" must have fixed 90% of issues.

Imagine having to ask someone to check it's plugged in!

A lot of miles as always TR. You know you fancy a mad spell of 5k racing when we're back deep down.

Beating your own segs now Jules :)

It's funny, i'll often spend huge swathes of time staring at screens, but every so often you come away utterly brain frazzled and hot headed. Definitely that after today's course.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    No one else left to beat I guess :smile:   That's a lot of climbing packed in that one Jools!

TR - loving that midweek 10s are just too short!!!

Reg  that's insane watts! If I can sustain over 200 for any length of time I'm impressing myself!

Long chat with the GP today. Mixed bag - she reckons there's no infection, but now tells me it could take 4-6 weeks to heal! She also said that it feels better after cycling because calf movement pumps the lymphatic system and reduces swelling - if she'd told me that last week I'd have been doing 500 calf raises a day by nw :smiley:   Walking and cycling are OK, but shouldn't run while there is any swelling. 

Anyhoo, for a bit of variety I went out on my rather ancient MTB tonight. Great fun (once I'd got away from a footpath nazi behind my house who insisted on lecturing me about rights of way - even though neither of us had a "right" to be on the path we were!). In its day (mid 1993!), the bike was about as good as it gets (custom built frame, XT kit) but age now reveals its foibles - constant changes through the chain rings that require wrestling to achieve, brakes that have a mind of their own and absolutely no suspension! Every time I get out on the trails I think I should but a new MTB, but then remember I only do it about 3 times a year these days!

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

IT issues plaguing our Trust too, as more and more people are working from home, the Remote access keeps hitting it's limit, so everyone is logging on at 6am or whenever they wake up and just trying to stay logged in.

Lots on here, can't go back over everything, but joe's TT stands out, very impressive.

Leg was ok as I went over the track Tuesday lunchtime to do a 10 x 400 session (60 secs recovery), actually the legs felt quite strong due to all the exercises. started on an 80 and got the last one down to 71, racing the kid on his road bike, as you do.

Very happy with the leg yesterday morning, 9.1m at 6.43mm, only 1-2/10 on the pain level, perhaps up to 3 on the last mile. Nothing today apart from an evening walk to avoid 'the clap' , so busy work wise - all our usual vacancy, sickness etc have got to be referenced via Covid-19, so there's a lot more analysis wanted by the managers.

Another perfect night for racing. Last night would have been the third perfect Watford open night on the trot. That won't happen again.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

This is quickly becoming a ridiculously bad bit of luck Bus! Only positive is you're not missing any races etc

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

SC -we will have to have a Watford track night when it's all back.

Probably just for the shiggles for some of us - obvs not in your professionalism!

My goal would probably be avoiding getting multiple tellings off for breaking protocols. Fussy lot the track lot.

Funny scales for runners isn't it, we can do long or decently fast runs feeling something isn't quite right, whereas most non runners would say it can't be bad if you're covering that sort of pace and distance.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bus that bike seems to be a metaphor for your body  :D

Good news with the leg SC, if ever there's a good time to have had an injury it is now I guess.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    While he have the amnesty to talk cycling for a while can I ask some questions of Reg, Bus or Joe?

Can you get an at least semi accurate FTP if you don't have a power meter or Zwift? Does Strava offer anything worthwhile and, if so, to all or only via Summit?

To what extent will the bike you are riding impact the FTP calculated if you don't go directly via a power meter? I read just a 200 FTP (still well under 3 per kg for me!) would equate to holding 20mph for an hour. I couldn't do that! Is that right and would that be 20mph on a light carbon frame with electronic shifting or a more old style 'racer'? 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I was never as good as my bike was Reg :smiley:

Simon - glad to see the leg is easing up.

Pete - I bet you could hold 20mph for an hour on a flat, smooth road.  I did it the year before last (just!) but nowhere near it at the moment! It's more about getting into and maintaining a good aero position than about the weight of the bike too. Weight (and frame stiffness) is more of an issue with climbing and accelerating efficiently than holding momentum on the flat. Have a good dump before you try and the benefits will be greater than an extra grand spent on the bike :wink:

Calf raises galore today then and then try to get out for a ride before all the "stay at home street party" shenanigans kick in. All my neighbours have been out putting up bunting and stuff already!!!  I'm going to hang up my Welsh flag just to be different :smile:
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - im a diesel, i cant get up to speed in only 5k!

Mixed news then Bus, but agreed top weather for biking. I miss it at times, but dont miss swimming.

Simon - good news on the injury front.

11m today. Done 15, 13, 14, 12 and 11 since 4.30pm monday. 16 tomorrow and it's an mlr full house.

Need a new game for next week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pete - thin ice 😂😂

Bus - dull but necessary (that could be my slogan 😇)

TR do what suits you in this game.

10 today with 12x1min on 1min (30sec walk 30sec jog)

By 11ish it already felt hot and even easy pace felt plenty.

However pressed on with 1mins at a sort of as hard as i fancied pace rather than like reps.

Was certainly glad when i finished.

Irritated to see some of our club have been doing runs together and proudly announcing it on strava.
    What can you do though.