Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I don't know how you consistently get out there TR and plug that sort of mileage. Very impressive!

Pete, I reckon you would hold a better power than you think. Strava tries to estimate power without a power meter, but as to how accurate it is...

Bus, sorry to hear about the foot diagnosis - at least it's getting more pleasant for cycling, and the roads are pretty empty (although getting busier it seems...)

Good news that the leg is responding SC.

Nice efforts in the regulation 10, SG!

So, I know you're all chomping at the bit for the highlight of the bank holiday - my TT mile. I'm now looking forward to a bank holiday beer or two.
    Managed to get in my own head last night/today on the warm up, thinking about what I should be capable of. Overthinking it all isn't the best prep, and had to have a stern word with myself a couple of times when warming up.
    Chose the flattest loop possible round here, 0.8mi around Swanpool Lake. Problem is that it's popular with walkers, cyclists and also only wide enough for a car to pass if everyone is on one side. You also take your chances with the wind, as if it's coming off the beach then one side of the loop isn't going to be fun. Thankfully it was calm and drizzling today and a recce lap revealed it was relatively quiet, although I did have to dodge kids on training bikes a couple of times.

Set the watch to take splits every quarter, just for looking at afterwards as I planned on not looking at the watch. It was a rolling start, and the splits came out as 1:14, 1:21, 1:24, 1:16 - giving 5:15 total. Not 100% on the last couple of splits being accurate, as at the 0.75mi mark the the road emerges from under quite a lot of tree coverage - which slows the previous lap and speeds up the current one. So they're actually more likely ~1:20 a piece. Strava also says it was my second fastest km at 3:15.

Very happy with that, especially with the sabotaging mind games and recent lack of speedwork. Reckon there's a few seconds there with a little less prior worrying, and probably more if in a race.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Matt . You were fooling noone with that 5.30 A target nonsense! Wasn't that long ago you were holding on for a 5m race not huge amounts higher!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Matt!

18M on the bike before lunch today and the cycling legs are getting better - my fastest ride for a while at 18mph. Don't believe Strava - it says 17.9mph, but I worked bloody hard over the last mile to make sure the Garmin stayed over 18! Don't know why Strava always comes in 0.1mph under Garmin!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - decent day again there. Shame about the clubmates esp putting it on strava.

Matt - nice one, good leg speed, im sure your coach will be calculating what it means at all distances.

Bus - good one Bus, cycling will keep the engine in good nick.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR - the guy who did it heard of my "concerns" so blocked me on all platforms, but then I'm told changed his title to suggest the meet up was some sort of chance, rather than the reality of it being a regular planned event, so he realises deep down it's not right.

Keep on doing what we do really, can't control anyone else.

Lost another seg. A bit strange as the guy has basically just logged a 0.61 km run, at 10:30pm and that's it. Hit as quick as 4.18 pace, but ended towards the 5.50s for a 5.32 average. Fell off a cliff in there somewhere :)

But it's a 3.25 for slightly less than a k so it's clearly winnable again, it's just weighing up the point, and whether i'll remember when i'm back that way as it still might be months!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice one Matt, good time.

Pete, short answer is no, you can’t estimate it as they’re too many variables. Average 20mph for an hour on any bike and I reckon you’re comfortably over 200
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    There are so many variables I am about 2 mph faster on my TT bike than my road bike. I am about 2 mph faster in summer than winter due to air density, temp and extra drag from clothing. Carbon road bike, reasonably aero, proper clothing, cycle shoes, so your typical weekend cyclist’s set up, averaging 20mph day with average wind, flat route, no stops? Your height and weight riding on the hoods? I’d guess between 210 and 230. Interested  to hear Joe’s thoughts as he’s a similar size to you and probably rides his roadie with a power meter.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Sorry for what's to come SG, Simon, Matt and TR (just don't read beyond this paragragh if cycling bores you😉). Well done on your training all. Brilliant mileage TR, good comeback from injury Simon, nice fartlek type stuff SG and neat mile Matt (who would have thought you were much better than you modestly predicted).😉

Thanks for the advice Reg and Bus and congrats on your 18mph Bus, envious of that. 

Been riding a lot in lockdown and over the last 300 miles have averaged 17mph on pretty undulating terrain, mostly in WGP and surround. That's without any serious effort to push speed but not riding casually either. Only time I really tried was a bash at Drift Road from my end to the A330 and covered the 4.1m in just under 12 mins at 21mph. Doubt I could do an hour at 20mph (when I did the Drift Rd TT once I only just came in under 30 for 10 miles). Think I'd need a better bike at least; still riding a 9 speed Trek 2.1 which is about 8 years old now and, though quite light, not even carbon and no mod features. Still reckon I'd be about 220 FTP Reg? Even that seems so crap compared to you Reg and Joe but at least ballpark with Bus and Wool who I would hope to be not too far off on the bike. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks Pete. Strava estimated 231w for today's ride. I've never used a power meter so no idea of how accurate or otherwise that might be!

It also gave me a max speed of 48.5mph, but I nvere saw th Garmin get over 46 on the Cryers Hill descent so seems a bit dodge to me!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    It’s w/kg that matters most though Pete and beyond that your CDA or how aero you are. There was a chap on PD forum who was the GB Duathlon champ or something and his FTP was much lower than mine but he was light and had a great position. Put yourself on a TT bike and you’re probably averaging 23mph on the drift road circuit. If you added all the aero gear you’d probably get close to 25mph over 10 miles. You need to do races to understand how hard you can actually push on a bike. It certainly hurts more than running, you can make your legs really burn!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I’d expect you to be possibly higher than 220 Pete.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Pete - crack on, i used to spend hours on a bike. Ive an old Marin mtb (early 2000s), 10yr old Giant road bike and a retro Quintana Roo TT bike. I remember averaging 20+mph for a 3hr training ride.........my memories of cycling are that you need to pour calories into the fuel tank during rides, due to the power/strength adpect of it......and the fckn wind killing my av speed.

16m today, to complete my game of mlr bingo. To be fair my legs are toast now. Mon to Sat = 15,13,14,12,11,16.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    17 tomorrow then TR? :smiley:

I was going to ride tomorrow and have a day off today, but the weather is really nice today, and pretty cool tomorrow, so heading out for a (relatively!) long one pre-pizza this afternoon.

Its funny, I've done 105M so far this week, which I think of as quite a lot - until I realise that could be just one ride for the likes of Reg and Joe :smiley:

I'm tempted to try and get to 150 for the week, but most likely will settle for 140.

I'm also toying with the idea of getting a new bike.  My road bike is good, but I prefer the comfort of my gravel bike, with wider tyres and a little more upright position. The problem is, it is quite heavy, and the mechanical disc brakes are a pain - noisy and often need adjusting.   If I did, it would be another gravel bike, but I have my eye on a Planet X Ti job - difficult to justify the cost though!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    With your daily mileage TR I sometimes think you’re on a bike!

Did my 30 minute run time trial this morning. It’s a club team event virtual relay. Team that covers the most ground wins. Really didn’t fancy it but when you’re in a team you have to don’t you.

Went out hard With 3:17 for the first km 😂 which I guess is 5km PB pace but with 30 minutes planned! Second km was ok 3:26 but then low 3:30s to go through 5km in 17:19 felt ok but slowing not surprisingly this being the extent of my speed work! 3:36,3:40,3:38 and then another 0.5km at 3:35 pace. 8.5km in 30 mins, probably had enough left to round up to 10k at 3:40 pace. So feels like a 35:30 10k job which seems like a reasonable reflection of current form. Think I’ll do another 5km aiming at my PB which is 16:45 ish can’t actually remember. In between I am keen to have a stab at a 1 mile flat out to try and go sub 5.

All a bit of fun whilst there’s no racing going on. Good competition with Joe too.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Certainly went about that the hard painful way Reg. All that cycling certainly gets you used to inhabiting the pain cave though - well held on. Think SG's got the hump with all this cycling talk - that's 10 posts without hearing from him :D
    No idea what my FTP is but I've done 2 10M TTs Both times on my 13kg Aluminium frame, carbon forks, clip-on tri bars & bog standard wheels road bike. 1st was in 2015 on an undulating, twisty & potholed course with a cone in the middle of the road to turnaround at halfway. I did 28:10 then a couple of years ago I did one on the faster dual carriageway & roundabout halfway turn. I was very pleased & somewhat surprised to manage 25:29 given I've not done anywhere near as much cycling since my big years of 2014-15.
    Just 7M yesterday as I was feeling exhausted after averaging 12M & 1200ft for 14 days prior. Made up for it today with 29.5K including a 20:20 5K after a 2K wu

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Jools and blimey Reg - that's rapid!

And more bike talk (sorry SG!)......

Lovely long bike ride just now, bimbling through towns along the Thames. 45.4 M to make 151M for the week - biggest of both for me for a couple of years.

Bizarrely I also picked up 3rd overall on a segment in Maidenhead out of 1546 with some local names behind me!!! Not sure how that happened, but I'll take it :smiley:

I was actually averaging over 18 at the 36 mile point, but the long climb up from Marlow to Cressex, then Amersham hill put paid to that. 17.1 on Strava and 17.3 on garmin - take your pick :wink:

It's funny - you'd never ramp up running miles the way you can on the bike. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not to go all Walter from Big Lewbowski, but "does no one give a f''''@ about the rules" :D

Jools - if ever I disappear for a day or 2, just presume I've been banned, as what other explanation could there be ;)

Lazy SAT OFF for me here.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Great bingo running TR; though more LSR's than MLR's in most books!

Nice 30 min Reg and 17'19 at 5k must be very pleasing as must the distance you covered. Thanks for the cycling advice; only just getting to grips with FTP properly; CDA a step out of my brain power ;)

Massive distance run to throw a fast 5k in the middle of Jools; great effort that. Also a high quality 1 mile TT by Matt; any plans to get faster and home in on a 5 min mile?

Quality ride Bus and sounds a very nice one; is Strava's FTP only for Summit members? Can't see it on mine. Amazing seg placement too; have already stoped looking at most of mine as seem to be typically about 5000th out of 9500 on the popular ones and that is doing what I consider a respectable speed (typically about 17mph overall av, maybe 18av on the flat). Can only assume the majority of the top guys are a) on strava and b) drafting on most rides most of the time.

More cycling only for me the last 2 days but will try and get back to running tomorrow and try and report on that to help drag the thread back to where SG, sorry we all, want it :) 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You wouldn't try run segments on the London marathon route Pete, so you wanna try the more bootleg ones if you want some king of the hill or whatever they're called.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sorry SG - gotta break the rules somewhere at the mo :smiley:

Cheers Pete - never got higher than 87th on anything but the most obscure segment on a bike before, and most are way, way down the list, so can only presume this was one that nobody even knew existed apart from whoever created it!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Certainly seem a lot less segs in cycling, so Pete is right. Seems odd, as anyone can set a segment up, and there's still plenty of half miles and short ones.

But I suppose it'd be a right faff to do one down some residential street or across a field.

I know every running seg must have been created at some point, but it's always struck me as particularly pointless to set a seg up. Just so you can temporarily be the boss of it!?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Depends what it is SG. I've done a few that are hill climbs I regularly do. It's mainly so I can track my own times on these hills, but it's also interesting to see who else is running them and how fast of course :smile:
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I set up a few running segments in the early days before runners adopted Strava more widely. There weren’t that many segments about. Two hours on zwift this morning and I’m feeling a bit done this week. Calves were a bit sore this morning, not used to running fast.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    More miles but similar feel for me Reggie.

Probably didn't help by starting my 15miler doing one of those mentally taxing ones where you pass near your own door around 4miles in after an out and back before undertaking the main out and back 😂

All felt quite warm when i thought itd be cool today. Even at 8.30 start.

Oddly the run averaged 7.03 when it felt like i was absolutely trudging the last 3-4miles out but was actually at the usual pace.

Few tightnesses near the end but then in fairness most 15s are like that. Still wondering if right knee is actually feeling different or not but i suppose if a 61mile week finishing with 15 today was ok then we press on. Just with a Few more quad and hamstring bits.

Look forward to a lovely lie down later
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    There are heaps of cycling segments SG, often duplicated or almost duplicated. 
    I’ve made some local hill climb segments recently because there were so few near me. What I find frustrating is people misnaming segments or having some random segment which neither starts nor finishes by an obvious landmark or top/bottom of a climb & is some random length. Eg my recent CR seg: it’s 700m long, starts on the High St, 50m above a turning then crosses the road after 400m to take a right turn up Walker’s Lane before finishing 100m before the summit! It’s been named Baker’s Piece Rd Climb which is a road over a mile away FFS!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    And when they are spellt wrong Jools :wink:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Is there a length limit on segs?

Should set some of my random multiple out and back 15milers as segments. :D

Noone would waste their time!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Doubt it - I've got one that's 10 miles :smile:

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bus -  cyclists always say that you can never have too many bikes.

Reg - thats was a cracking TT. Good going, off low running, but im sure your hard bike work helped.

SG - good job you didnt do the 15 yday then, if you thought today was warm. More layers yearound and youd be better at coping on warm days.

10 here today to go with my 11 to 16 and give 91 for the 7days, solid given no long run.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Number of bikes needed = n+1, where n is the number of bikes you already have :smile:

No long run TR? Apart from all of them by most people's measure! Definitely a solid week.

Went for a short walk this afternoon just to see how the foot held up (as per the Doc's advice). It's a bit sore now, so I'm glad I didn't try and run. My first zero mile week for a very long time, and no obvious immediate hope of an much improvement.  All the more disappointing given the seemingly innocuous nature of the injury at a time when the running was actually going pretty well.