Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice un Jools - do you use anything "clever" for your seg spotting?

Or do you just research on the laptop like we do. I notice on the phone sometimes it'll say a rep is "0.3m", and you have no idea if it's 0.30, or 0.39, and it doesn't give the pace needed either? So you're sort of blind.

I like to know key deets - distance, pace. Job done. Serves me well, like yesterday, where the last rep needed 5.25 pace for about half a mile, with a little tickle upwards at the end.

Viewing I was at 5.20 for the last 1/3 of it was deffo tight, as shown in the eventual 3second win!

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Just the laptop & painstaking anorak behaviour :D - my phone's an old Nokia brick: not even got a camera let alone internet capability. Usually run a route as a seg recce then go back & hit 'em hard being careful to start just before & finish just after as you mentioned. Since lockdown I've also created a few local climbs & done some route mapping. Once you save a route it lets you know of any segments en route.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hard not to get too carried away though. I had a look at one I'd come 2nd in totally unknowingly, so straight away you think that's one, then the one I got the route on wrong, two...

Then noticed one at about 7min miling (!) that must be so obscure no one really runs it, and there we go all obsessed again!

Saw big Dom locally 2 days after turning his ankle was back at the segs.

8.44 pace for 0.4mile. Knowing his hill love, that must be one steep hill!
    He holds a few at 4.10 downhill. That's youngster fearlessness, as most of us wouldn't risk sprinting down a hill!

I was easy pacing down a hill yesterday, and a car suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

Sprinting down there and I'd have been wearing the windscreen :O

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good going there then jools, for you and your daughter, another tough day......gadget hasnt arrived yet, probably cos i took the standard free delivery rather than paying more for speedy delivery. Youd have thought youd get the priority delivery free after spending a nice chunk. I struggled to find stock at a decent price though, and ive been doing fine without one.

SG - not having to commute or work must make a difference, ive still been banging in my miles around working......virtual races must have some sort of performance boost, and is probably hard tempo run at worse.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Totally TR - it reminds me a little of coming back from the race collapse a few years ago, and not quite re-assured in my own head I was "right". But was still doing loads of runs at a bottom end steady pace, sort of 6.45-6.50s. But that naturally got back in sync once the hard and longer runs kicked in to a more usual schedule.

I imagine there's a scale of adrenaline - long runs arguably sit a little higher than normal runs, tempos and reps sit higher than those, and races at the top. So it makes sense for virtuals to sit somewhere in the session or above mixer.

You're right not to bother paying for the quicker delivery I find.

I once tested buying 2 pairs of shoes from the same place in separate transactions - one paying for extra, one standard.

Both turned up the same day!

Jools - I suppose I haven't segmented for ages, but yes the ones you've covered is a good shout. But you can't beat that research.  I'll have to look at why I didn't quite do one correctly. On the map it looks like it goes through a bush! But I expect it just needed me to do a few yards round a bend!

A tip for anyone setting their own segment up - always just go a little round a corner :D

Hidden segments are interesting too - too bootleg to appear on the main map, so need a bit more stealth.

Sometimes fun looking down people's crowns too (this is why you should lock your page to randoms :D) . But I suppose if you systematically rinse one poor geezer that's a bit harsh.

• Afternoon all! 

Pete - don't get hung up too much on the time, it's a good run, just build your way back into it.

Jools - love a good segment smash, sounds like a good day out.

With all the base TR, adding in the speed gradually will see you absolutely flying.

Thanks so much for everyone who dropped by yesterday to watch me go nowhere. Was really great to chat to a few of you on the stream, making me chuckle and keeping me entertained. SG letting me know that one of the more controversial thread members was about to pop up and join in certainly made me chuckle.

Reg was absolutely the main man. He popped up at some point during the first rep (each time up was about 55 minutes), and I figured he'd be good for one, hours later he's still there, setting an absolutely metronomic pace and helping no end. I had mates come to ride with me throughout the day, but no-one came close to his consistency. I thought at one point he was just going to the whole thing, but eventually lost him - some people have lives to get on with I guess!

So yeah just to provide context, the challenge is to climb 8,848m (Everest), on a single hill where you just go up and down. Totals 8.5 'reps', so broken up fairly nicely. 

Trying to put it into a running context effort wise but it's quite hard. I'd say it's about 'marathon pace' effort, for 55 mins (Reg?), so fairly solid, but not blowing. You've then got 10 minutes while the guy cycles back down the hill to sort yourself out, eat, loo, whatever you want.

The hardest bit was the first few minutes at the bottom of the hill. You've got another hour of hard climbing ahead, your legs have gone to sleep, and it just feels really really hard. I tried to stay as cool as possible, chugging liquid and chucking wet towels over myself.

Saying that, the time flew by, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Just switched on the diesel engine and ground it out. My power output was pretty much the same for every single climb (260w), apart from the last couple where I upped it a bit and pushed on. 

Final time was 9 hours and 2 minutes. After 10 seconds taken to celebrate, I knew there was an extra 'achievement' for reaching 10,000m, so cracked on at a slightly lower tempo for another hour and a half to reach that milestone. 

Had an absolute whale of a time, and would love to do more of this long, long endurance stuff. Again, thanks for the support from those on here, means a lot! Echo SG - look forward to a thread meet up. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I said on Strava, but I'll say it again Joe - chapeau :smiley:

Truly incredible stuff! I thought I'd had a fairly big week on the bike, but in one ride you not only went a bit further than my entire week but climbed an extra 21,000ft!!! Glad you enjoyed it - I just don't understand how that is even possible :smiley:

So, by comparison, a fairly paltry 50M on the bike this morning, but pleased I managed to squeeze in under 3 hours (if you believe the Garmin, not Strava!) on a lumpy old route. Had to work very hard in the last two miles to do it mind!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I was busy having a Sat doing absolutely jack all, so enjoyed popping in for bits of the last hour or 2 of the big cycle - top work!

Even that level of cycling sounds plenty to me Bus!

Now we're almost positively encouraged to drive for exercise, rather than that sheepish "you can, but shouldn't" sort of period, I decided I'd have some sort of crack on the old Marlow half marathon route, just with a mile or so lumped in start and end. This then evolved to taking the Thames Path back after the Hambledon section instead of slogging back up Rotten Row and doing a bit of a hilly tour back.

I double checked a couple of videos and maps, and knew that you can't go "too" wrong, you might just cut a bit of mileage off - like the time I went down Rotten Row instead of up.

That day I foolishly took the dangerous fast, non pavemented route back to Marlow, with Phil asking why I hadn't tried the Thames Path!

Looking on the map, it's not one you'd find by accident, having to turn a couple of hundred metres in the wrong direction, and sneak through a Marina and Lock.

I even had to get a Marlow pal to confirm you could get through as I genuinely couldn't tell from the satellite map :D

Anyway, managed to correctly follow the old Marlow half first 7miles + or so spot on, enjoying the long climb at the start, the down, the very steep ups after that, and then the load of downhill around Hambledon. It has quite a bit of fast running in fairness. Kept the big downhill to just about sub 7.

Did look up at Rotten Row, but to be fair, the Thames Path, bit of exploration and certainty of nicely taking me towards the target of 15miles beat the allure of a 250feet uphill mile.

Apart from at first going in, and out of the Marina, and having to go back in, pretty much to plan.

Over a very strange narrow bridge with side supports over the noise and fast moving water and to the other side, with a promising "Thames Path" sign.

Very easy to follow (even for me), with the only upset when the path suddenly disappears, and you have to come "Inland" 1/3 of a mile or so before picking the path back up.

Through some rich boy's land, that felt a bit Jurassic Park-esque, although only what looked like some skinny, lanky white sheep eyeballing me from a distance (that I'm actually told are deer!!) instead.

Back towards Hurley and suddenly back on the Marlow 5k course, past a gang of 6 women running in pairs, that probably wouldn't meet the "ruler" test, then back to Marlow lock (If it's even called that)

Nice run, 15.5miles in the end, and 7.23 a sensible enough pace. Hills and offroad for 4-5miles I suppose mean In real terms it was a bit quicker, but not like it was Rufus Brevitted.

68.5miler, bit tight hamstring, but to be honest in 10 years I'm not sure I've ever done a run of this distance without tightening a bit.

Had a look at some random segs I noticed after, chucklesomely off.

A 0.2mile in there near the end of the HM route part, I was intrigued to see some random held it over Eddie O Gorman in 2nd, who had done his on way to what must have been a 1.12-13 half marathon win.

Just as a sprint I thought? As after all, we can all take a seg even a superb runner has done as a tempo/race effort.

No, this guy had apparently done a 1.33 or so half marathon (7.12 pacing, so not too far quicker than what I was doing today's run at), yet had one mile logged at 4.55!

A 4.55mile on a mile with only about 30feet down, after something in the high 6s with a much huger down?

"GPS error"

Another comedy one, was over 0.19miles over that narrow Lock footpath, that I think you'd be a little brave to monster, some guy held it at about 30seconds, with the next one over a minute.

Checked his run, to make sure it wasn't just a sprint - it was within a 100km run averaging about 14min miling!

2min miling is tidy going in that ;)

Left both the segs alone - one you don't seem to be able to report on the phone, and two, seems a bit bastardly to report someone's HM race and a 100km run, when not trying to take the seg :D

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice LSR SG, and good to see you getting out somewhere a bit different :smile:

There was quite a lot of traffic around today, but also loads of cyclists! This was especially the case on the A4155 (which I ended up on twice because of a navigational error, whihc I realised only after descending most of  bloody great hill I wasn't going to go back up!). Even last week, this road was almost empty. The only drawback is when a car overtakes you, and then gets stuck behind slow moving cyclists - it would seem a bit churlish to get annoyed by them though, so I always blame the car driver :smiley:

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    You love a challenge Joe, cracking stuff. Great mental strength.

Bus - got to be happy with a 3hr ride.

SG - long run reports, goes to show folks are missing racing.

My wife wanted me to walk with her again, but i did 7m easy straight after the 2hrs with her.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

TR - I'm firmly into the reminiscing stage now - even about runs I only did on the same day :D

Currently, for those blessed (coughs) to also be on my fb, I'm taking them through a day by day trawl down memory lane of races I most want to get back to.

Endure 24 and GSR top the pile so far.

Who knows how long that series will go!

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Decent bike ride that Bus.
    Noted the slower LR SG. Another solid week.
    Another big week from you too TR. You must be ahead of the 10M/day target I’d’ve thought.
    I also went for a gentle walk with the OH this afternoon with a long lie down in the sun midway then ran just over 10M home. Kept the effort to easy although turns out this was my fastest time on the route. Shows the benefits of a consistent pace vs a segment Fartlek.
    Scores on the doors: 79M & 8,900’ for the week.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Some rather epic stuff on here then. Nice mileage TR, Jools and SG. 

Solid pace on the bike ride bus and a nice little 5k blast Pete.

I enjoyed Joe’s exploits, hard to equate it to running effort I think Joe. On a bike you can endure a pain level you couldn't running I find. I actually rode down the first two descents and had nothing to eat either, When it came to my third descent I got off and had a quick sandwich, don't think it was a wise choice of nutrition though! I also found myself a bit behind, your bike must have got caught up in a draft rolling down the hill! Once I caught up I felt knackered and my old knee pain emerged so I decided just to spin up the last one and leave you to it!

Now I know Joe is on a 65 day Zwift streak but I am just after the 14 day streak which you get the 'Unemployed' achievement badge for, I was 10 days into it. So last night having got the kids to bed I jumped on the Wattbike at 11pm only to discover the battery was dead! It self-charges with the cycling but it seems every few years it needs recharging and I hadn't had to do it for about 5 years which was before we moved house. I had no idea where the charger was or what it looked like and only had an hour of the day left to get a ride in, I think it needs to be 5-10k as well. With everyone else asleep in the house there was a rather comical scene of me checking loads of drawers and eventually climbing into the loft to rummage through some boxes. Eventually I found a box full of cables and took a punt on what I guessed was the correct charger.

Thankfully it was the right one but then it wouldn't sync, quick IT restart and all was good with a good 40 minutes to spare  :) All for a stupid virtual badge. Earlier in the day there was an easy 10 mile run. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That is some top class anorak behaviour there Reg! But we applaud it

And the problem with streaks I guess!

Reminds me of the ever presents at the old Wycombe half wheeled out every year.

One of them looked an absolute miserable wreck :D

I always think those London marathoners must feel the same - obligated to blither it out in 17 hours when super ill and on crutches just to not lose the streak!

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Reg Wand said:

... I am just after the 14 day streak which you get the 'Unemployed' achievement badge for ...
    Do you unlock an 'Assange' badge after a 7 year streak?  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Went out today with the express intention of keeping it nice and easy - especially as it was about 11.20 by the time I managed to get out, but had also noticed there were 3 modest segments I could collect while I was at it.

Two involved a really steep climb up through a golf course, with one having a bit of road before it. Therefore you could take two in one go - or attempt to!

First go, I'd got up the steps, up the muddy woody path, up to what I thought was the peak - then realised there were paths left and right, and a massive grassy mound ahead :D

Rucked that off for a second to let the body calm down a bit, and aborted, and jogged the paths to see where they went, before realising it was very obviously up the grassy mound!

Trotted up - we'll come back!

The other seg was a ludicrous 7.33 pace required for half a mile on a fairly flat path! Behave.

Trotted round the area and decided upon where I thought it was, and put some nice top end easy in which would do the job comfortably I thought.

But I needed another go at those hills.

Second time, carried on at the "false" peak, and dribbled up the hill, waving at a couple of golfers wondering what this twat is doing, up onto a green, ignored by 2 guys in a maintenance buggy, checking the geezers on one of the holes weren't going to suddenly lash one across me, and saw the "stiles", the end zone!

Needed to better something like 9.09 pace for the shorter one and 9.40 (!) for the longer one - ferocious stuff :D

Definitely was dribbling along at high 8s and low 9s at one point, but tried not to look, as easy effort was the sort of order of the day, not trying to rinse it. but we all know with hills often there's no difference between the two, as you burn your HR off the grid.

Glad to finish that, trotted round the area a bit, and through the long woods, went for an old times sake trip round a large field, probs 0.75miles worth, up and round. All recording in the 8s - offroad certainly kills your pace.

Down some steep woods, then a mile back, for an 11miler, at 7.45 average.

Checked the segs out, got the hill ones - one by 2seconds, and one by 40, and totally got the "given" one wrong. I was on a footpath and needed to be on the actual golf course still :D

That'll keep.

Noticed one geezer I took a seg off, has about 8 or so crowns, all on random hills in the area, but all at really slow paces, we're talking down to 11.30 pacing! Usually with just 1-2 people having run them.

Should not even be considering some sort of random hill route on an easy day just to hoover up a bunch of ludicrously random slow segs...should I?

• Too much dribbling for me on a common garden run Stevie G ;) Someone has placed those segments to see how they are improving. Go for your life, rub their nose in it  :)

I haven't read back farther than Stevie's last post yet but wanted to report happier news for me with a 35 mile week posted, though still with mild soreness in play. vo2max up to 61 from 58 whenever it was I last posted. I managed a new endurance record (counting back over the last 12 weeks) of 10 miles on my feet and also got a bollocking from some cross old ladies for breathing in their general direction.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It looks to be some triathlete who has dotted these random segs around, done them once, then not bothered to come back years later.

Welcome back to the decent mile club Muddy. I bet you look quite an imposing site storming along at the best of times, let alone in these days!

I've noticed a few people on narrow paths where you are both committed turning away and hoping for the best!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Best print the badge out and wear it now then reg :smiley:

Anyone used self-adhesive puncture patches before? I used one for the first time a couple of weeks ago on my first puncture for a very long time (if you don't count my foot of course!!!). It was quicker to fix than changing the inner-tube, and I've done a few hundred miles at 90PSI with no more loss of air.

• Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Some good segment snatching going on! SG, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to find that lads list of KOMs and pinch them all.

As per the other messages during your epic ride Joe, amazing work on that challenge - not to mention rounding it up to 10km!

Glad you managed to find that lead in the nick of time Reg, wouldn't want to miss out on any other virtual badgers!

Top cycling Bus, and a great line in the sand for Pete.

Muddy, glad to see you're back with some decent miles - hope you manage to keep the pain at bay, you've got time on your side at the mo.

Happy birthday TR, hope we see you on Strava in due course ;)

So took a week off after the ache in my calf/achilles - I think it was the lower soleus. By Thursday there was no ache when walking the dog, and Friday I could do heel raises and roll the area without any issue. Was meant to be an easy 30 mins return today, but got a little carried away putting it through some paces. 4.6mi at 7:05s, during which my HR was too high for my liking! Gonna blame the heat and my treat-heavy lifestyle the past week. Pleased to report there's no problems at all now!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good news there Matt, that was an irritating little bump in the road.

Will weigh up a smashfest :D

Apparently strava are messing with the cycling segs a bit and moving leaderboards and bits to the subscription part.

As long as they leave the running bit alone!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Good news MH/Muddy.
    Don’t ask me about puncture repair bus, I’ve not fixed one since I was a student, I just chuck them away 😂 I should fix them though!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Reg - that was a funny story, great commitment to the streak.

Good news matt, a minor blip.

Standard monday mlr here, 15m.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ok, checked that strava thing a bit closer, and looks like it (obviously!) is both running and cycling.

But you still seem to be able to search and look at segments, and see the top 10 in a leaderboard.

What you lose looks to be setting up your own segs, viewing 11th and down, in either a club or on a segment, and something about linking to 3rd party sites.

Can someone a bit more strava savvy have a double check for a brother?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil Montague Jones, are you about?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Cheers chaps.

Talking of Strava segments, I've been losing a lot of CR's recently with all these frustrated lockdown runners, but this one gives me a great excuse to get back to Lake (1000ft in 1M so a nice one to have and I held it for five years!!! The Frenchy who finally has it won't appreciate the metric symmetry though!!!).

Reg - you've still gotta get home somehow after a puncture? (Not on Zwift of course!).

Foot is still not playing ball, so went for a bimble on the old MTB tonight. Legs were surprisingly spritely, but only had time for a pretty hilly 14M. Had the pleasant surprise of bumping into one of our local legends Frank Fulcher and his wife, which was nice :smiley:

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I always carry two spare tubes Bus, no way I am fannying about with a kit on the roadside and I’ll just lob the old one in a bush or someone’s garden. Kidding, nearest bin.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That was the thing with this patch thought Reg - I didn't even have to take the wheel off. Found the flint, peeled back 6" of tyre, popped it back up and pumped away til my hear was content on the mini-pump. Job's a good un (and didn't even have to find a bin!). Not always that easy to find the cause of the hole granted, but whenever I've just changed the tube, i've found 5 minutes later that one is also punctured as I didn't remove the thorn/flint or whatever it was. 

Mind you, tubeless is probably the way to go anyway.....
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Good reading through. Shamefully oblivious of your endurance effort Joe - must have not registered last time I read through! Good on Reg for the support (amongst others). Better news on the injury front Muddy and MH.

The 8 x 1k round the estate Saturday was harder than has been before, probably on having 60 recovery instead of the usual 80, so had a longer rest between the last 2 reps. First one was 3.25 - got them down to 3.18, but up to 3.23 for the last one. Hmm.

Guts weren't great Sunday morning so the 14.5 wasn't that nice. 7.09 mm this week. Felt the slightly warmer temperatures.

Got some new Bluetooth headphones by 'Yineme' got an over the ear thing so they don't fall out and the sound quality is really good. Loads better than the last ' Encafire' ones I bought. No more hat wearing when it's slightly too warm so as to stop them falling out.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff simon

SG - you got a strava paid account? In order to chase your segements?