Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yep, was just about to step out and the heavens have opened! Thunder started rumbling just as I was about to type "no thunder yet". Given my recent run of luck I'm not sure I want to tempt being struck by lightning!!! 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    SC - Shame about the injury woes, you seem somewhat merry in that font change post!

So sadly the eagerly awaited 5km showdown was kind of invalidated by my approach this morning. I really couldn't be bothered with the filthy weather so decided to do a route that mostly gave me a tailwind, although lots of hedgerow cover meant it wasn't that windy in either direction. Also the first KM had a downhill section so a hardish start and 12 metres of downhill and I am through the first KM in 3:12 with a strava grade adjusted pace of 3:16.

From then on it's flat but with a generally following wind, so possibly giving a couple of seconds per KM. Feel reasonably comfortable but this is a B road so there's some moments where I need to run on to verges to avoid cars but mostly it's quiet. The second KM is 3:18 and I have a mental note that that's really the target for the first KM which is pleasing. Mentally I am not prepared to give this full beans, firstly because I know the generous course means it's not going to count for much and secondly it's not worth the injury risk, particularly near the end where the form is probably going.

Once the initial starting spurt has died down I settle into a more manageable pace and it's pretty much even pacing 3:23, 3:23 and then finishing with 3:22 for 16:39. I'll give 3-4 seconds (was only going 3:06 pace down there) back for the hill and a 5-10 for the wind so probably about 16:5x so I think it's fair to call it a draw with Joe! Jogged 3.5 miles back and felt pretty good, probably the second best 5km run I've done and I expect I could threaten my 5k PB (16:43) in a race right now.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's your short distance power coming out again Reggie. The cycling seems to dovetail perfectly with the smallish amount of running you do for both short stuff and XC.

So unusual to actually feel a wind behind you as well!

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Sensible Bus! Yes some great fireworks this afternoon. 

Great stuff Reg, really good on your own that. Know the time to beat now for thread pride ;)  Hopefully by a couple of weeks time I’ll get the calf playing ball again!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nah - went out in the Simon :smile:  Largely kept away from any danger points as there were some rumblings and a couple of flashes - just at the back of my mind the herd of cows that got fried a couple of years back at hughenden as I was crossing it! 6M, to make my longest week for 7 weeks with a mahoosive 24 miles!

Even with slight wind assistance and a wee bit of net downhill, that's still a very swift solo performance Reg! Anything gained by the course and conditions would be less than than adding in the odl RDM :smiley:

I hope you're right about the cycling SG - I might have some cracking times to come in the Autumn :wink:

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Oh there will be a scale. Reg and JB maximising it, probs you and Pete and peeps it helps but for me id probably wobble into a bush and be out weeks.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Top notch run Reg; why not throw another in too next week on a flat, level tarmac course? May surprise yourself with an (unofficial) pb😀

Crappy luck again Bus; must turn soon. Presume that was a ride tonight?

7kk TT for me today as part of this Trees 8 week programme. Was very windy and am pretty sure the course I actually run is longer than 7k as I think the Garmin can't cope well with the wide u turn at the end of a lap. Plotaroute had 7.2k. Anyway managed 27'03 which was ok (3'51 pace) but would actually be very pleasing if it was 7.2k! Apparently the programme  gets harder next week, so might ditch it, as it was hard enough this week with the 4x2k tempo on Wednesday too. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's why you take a coach's schedule Pete. To challenge yourself, as it's so easy to fall into comfort zone stuff or what you fancy. I'm sure a lot of us do it.
    Stick with it...at least another week. If it feels too hard, maybe adjust the pace zones you're using a bit.

Any way, 15 today. Thought i'd do roughly the reverse of the Beaconsfield, Penn, Hazlemere route.

Not the same hill that the above route ends on, but still a 300 feet climb over one mile to Hazlemere, after 60feet in the mile before.
    Nice feeling reaching the top of that hill for sure.

After that with the exception of a couple of ups there's a nice down bias to the rest.

7.15 pace all in, relaxed for a 71.5mile week, highest(by half a mile over 2 weeks ago) of 2020.

Probably the first time I've covered 15 or more on two consec runs, albeit with a rest day in between that i can remember.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Glad you managed to not get fried by lightening Bus. Going well Pete.

Decent run SG, good mileage and hill strength for xc!

Pleasing LSR today, only the bog standard loop, 11 miles. Had the new Hupana and compression socks to try and minimize and pain and it was fine. Calf 1-2/10 pain wise and the hammy was the best it's been in ages!

Never underestimate the importance of trainers that aren't battered. Would have been 6.55's but bumped into one of the LBAC girls so ran back a bit of the way with her that took it over 7mm.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Me too simon :smiley:

Nice LSRs chaps.  That's the hill I usually have to end with SG if I am doing  a long road run.

Solid TT Pete and the measured length will definitely be more accurate than GPS.
    It was actually a run last night. I decided to chance it as I wanted to do a longer ride today in better weather. Foot was okay and no overnight swelling, so got away with it!

40M bike today, which was pleasant enough and I got back before the rain :smile:

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pete - whatever you decide to do, you are nicely on the way back.

Reg - that is quick, you are in good nick

Well done on the 15 SG

Simon - godd news re the new shoes

Bus - maybe a bit of foot progress

8m easy today, did the P and D 17 inc 8mp yday, which came in av 6.35 but happy with that in a lumpy route on a windy day.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That’s some nice mileage SG, certainly some more variety with your runs atm. Impressive long runs from SC and TR, I remember doing the 18 with 12 @ MP went nicely but I picked up an injury from it.

More decent bike mileage Bus and Pete I’d go with 7.2k nice effort there.

Taking advantage of the duller weather with an indoor ride today, ticked off one of the longer routes, 3:45 in total and lots of virtual hills so only 67 pretend miles. The leg fatigue is real though.

Pete, I will be doing a proper course in about three weeks or so. Will probably head to Dorney and aim for a PB. Unlike real races I can wait for a day of no wind 😄

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR starting to boot it up a bit by looks of it.

Reg, not sure if you're meaning a secret mission or have missed the news, but they've apparently shut Dorney for the next 3-4 months due to all manner of idiots turning up in huge gangs.

And we're not talking a little sign on the gate, we're talking physically barricaded. Even the right of way paths nearby..although that's being fought as apparently they haven't got the authority!

Sounds a massive shame though. Let alone for the locals!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Decent fare from Simon and Bus too.
    Is there a short cut back to yours from that hill Bus? Or is it still another mile and half or so on the straight past Hazlemere Rec?

3more weeks of furlough at least. Will discover soon what July will bring!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    SG - ive started the first few weeks of P and D re Autumn marathons, but if none happen and its small 10ks or 1/2s only, then I'll still be in good shape. The LT run is every other week, but ill do it weekly as i rarely do any quality, so i should respond well.

Reg - i did the 12 this spring, id like to push it up to 13 or 14, but that becomes a very tough day, but would be an excellent benchmark.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You certainly will be well placed to step back into racing asap when it's up.
    Hopefully i can do similar, though will certainly need to recapture race intensity, as some of the segs aside most training is held back to some extent.

71.5miles gets me 5th in the club table! Mix of challenges, running extra with kids, peeps going from nothing with injury to 80mile weeks and those making use of no commutes or simply being bored cover a few reasons.
    For me, while I'm not necessarily doing more than i would be anyway, I'm embracing having so much more time to do it in!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dont underestimate the recovery time benefit you have at the mo too, with no tapering and recovering in recent times, the consistent training and recovery time (for those not at work) i can see some folks having made some nice gains.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's a big ride to take you nowhere Reg :wink:  Definitely thinking about a Zwift set-up for later in the year though.

That 17 yesterday is very tasty TR.

Mis-read your Strava trace SG. I meant Amersham HIll, but much the same thing. About 2M back to my place from there, with that nasty (at that point!) undulation up to the Crown at Hazlemere. I can shorten it by about half a mile, but only if I've left the back gate open!

Bit of a mare about Dorney. There's a big fight going on about them trying to close the PROWs as well, unsurprisingly.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Amersham Hill must be the same sort of climb..around 300 feet. But from the station up is just so severe that the once i tried it i aborted it.

Possibly no less steep then the end of today's other approach but much easier to finish on that then start on it with another mile plus to go 😄

TR it's good to be able to adapt to whatever the situation is. I've tried to keep the Sunday runs fairly early still and can no doubt revert back to exact slots when work dictates.

It'll certainly be interesting what effect the lockdown loosening, the Cummings saga and these protests will have on the whole situation.
    Fingers crossed things don't go backwards. None of us are getting any younger here!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Well all the protests are making a test case for mass gatherings. Trouble is they could be a bit like the champs league games and cheltenhsm festival with lots of folks sharing air, spit etc as they all shout over each other.......but back then you had a chance of bumping into someone infected at something like 1 in 40,  now its probably nearer 1 in 1000, but there are 1000s at those protests.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    As there seems to be a 2-3 week lag on results it looks to be a fingers crossed job and hope those face coverings do their job.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    A spike will occur as soon as a week away, it then depends how big the spike is, re infection size.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    That’s what I said. At least it’s outdoors, it’s breezy and many are wearing masks. You will have to be very unlucky to get infected in those conditions. Not ideal though. 

Talking of hilly runs, I think Dean had nearly 1200 ft of gain, about twice as far as mine. I had more hills though ;)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ah yes the protests, black lives matter as long as it's not in some country you've never heard of. I mean how can some London street rat make himself feel better about his own failings campaigning against ethnic cleansing in Myanmar, they don't have rap music FFS.

• Morning team. Not as nice out there this weekend after a week or so or glorious sunshine. At least the general public won't have to be subjected to SG running around topless for a while.

Reg - enjoyed a bit of banter on strava, clearly that downhill tailwind absolutely blasted you along and was worth at least 5 minutes. But honestly I think you're good for at least a 16:30 on a nice flat course in good conditions. 

Big week from you SG, coming back into some decent shape. The period of non-running you went through now seems like a distant memory!

Nice work with the 7km TT Pete. Interested to see how you go during the training programme. 

Did a hard Zwift race yesterday, straight up the Alpe (big mountain) with a summit finish. Ended up with 50 mins @ 325w (at 72kg), which is pretty good numbers for me, but definitely felt pretty fatigued. Could barely walk afterwards.

2 hours easy run this morning including a loop of Richmond Park. Lovely. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That's a long effort Joe.

I meant to comment on Dorney closure when I came on but got sidetracked  :D I wasn't aware it was closed, I daresay things may have changed in a few weeks, either way I won't bother going all that way if it's in doubt. Plenty of other options locally. Seems to be due to a few kids drinking and jumping in the lake but more likely some local resident on the board of something sticking his NIMBY oar in.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Joe you accidentally wrote subjected instead of "blessed" 😄

Every so often we do have to remind ourselves just turning over at decent miles is a blessing.  That vertigo month seems a lifetime ago. Even Wokingham in Feb seems yonks back!

From my exceptionally limited "cycling" on a stationery bike stepping off that after 20mins effort is pure jelly so I'm not sure how you withstand way longer or try and run after.

Reg, fingers crossed. Such a great facility so it's a real loss losing it. Even being windy quite often! Hope you're right about timescales.

Starting week 11 of furlough today (!)
    One free online seminar on Thursday. Just an hour rather than another course but all useful to build extra skills up.
    Will dig out the manual from the VBA course too as coding doesn't come naturally to me to say the least.

10miles to come in due course,probs just set off 7.30ish and see how it flows. Have diversified from Peter Crouch and Lineker & Baker footy podcasts to finding a great one on the comedy, The Office and Extras. Hour or more per episode so comes close to filling a 10miler nicely. Peep Show and a second one on the Office all queued up too. Only tend to have music for tempos and reps now.

Tomorrow i might do the reverse of last week's steady tempo - 10miles offroad with a couple of strong climbs with gates, steps, cows (!) to deal with. Aim for similar to last week which was 6.41.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Gentle 10 today mid 7s for that "in between" run between long and a session.

Noticed a couple of criminally slow segs I could potentially take at little effort, amidst some exploring.

First one was over 200feet for 1/3mile. Realised I'd got the route wrong anyway, so just put a couple of different climbs in for interest.

Looking back at the map it started further up than I realised, and goes further up, and seemingly needed clambering over a fence! No wonder it's a hidden seg and next to no one has run it! So we won't bother with that again :D

Did get 3rd in a shorter, 0.25mile seg up the same hill. Couldn't match the explosive low 9 min miling someone else had though ;)

Another one was a half miler, needing a ludicrous 10.02 pace. 90% of the elevation seemed to be in this mad 150metre first super steep climb, which must be up there with any road hill for miles, and a doss after that. Nice. Accidentally picked up another seg that started earlier in the lead up.

Enjoyable cruise back down the very steep Hatters Lane hill, and ignored a 0.8mile loop that only needed 6.59 pace, as that would encourage me to break easy effort. That'll keep for another day!

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I only like to use up company time on forums so 35 unread posts to get to this morning!

very nice 5k there Reg. Very nice indeed. I'm afraid that the Dorney closure is very (semi-)permanent, they have fenced up all the normal entry point and even found a way to close the footpaths that cross the site. Fair-dos in my eyes. I think we're lucky to get access at any time really. 

Pete - I've looked over Mike Trees' program on FB and it does look quite hard. I wouldn't worry if you're not hitting the paces early in the schedule as I've no doubt that you'll train in to them. Stick with the process!

SG - when I suggested that you take some of your furlough time to drive to some nice places to run I wasn't really thinking about Slough Trading Estate! Maybe the Ridgeway or the South Coast somewhere but round the back of the Mars factory wasn't up there!

Good to see you running Bus. Anywhere.

Nice MP there TR. 

Simon - I've put my order for the hoka carbon on hold!

I can run again after my fall but the worst of the cuts are still deeply scabbed and giving me some pain. I can have a trot around but stretching out to run at pace, or worse cycle, is too painful right now. It might mean my virtual BMAF 5k is off but that's not such a big deal as the big hopes for the DD V45 team are already in disarray!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol - one man's soulless trading estate is another man's segment playground :smile:

Glad to see you are running too Wool. Those wounds sound (and looked!) very painful. Sahme about the virtual 5k though.

Good work on the Alpe Joe. I always get a bit nostalgic when you talk about Richmond Park and Wimbledon Common as my old MTB stomping grounds!

Apparently there was some pretty large scale anti-social shenanigans at Dorney lake the week before last, and a fair bit of damage done and litter left. They are still getting people breaking down fences to get in! Not sure how they can close the rights of way though, but then they are Eton!

7M last night  - longest run for 6 weeks! Bar a slight discomfort in the toes for the last mile, all was OK and barely any swelling and zero pain today so I'm feeling fairly positive that it's moving on at last.  I'm not going to tempt fate tonight though, so most likely will go out on the bike while the weather is still conducive to cycling.