Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I've not seen it that bad for years. 

It wasn't too far off the time I went to Wycombe away at Portsmouth, and a gentle drizzle turned into the maddest storm you'd ever seen, and the roads became actual rivers all over about 1hour. At least the Wycombe floods are the result of a day and a half of massive rainfall.

Top 2 in my worst ever drives - 80miles in a storm :open_mouth:
    Worst was a 100mile drive back from Birmingham on a January night in fog. One of those can barely see 20metres ahead jobs - one of the few times sitting in the middle lane felt acceptable, so you didn't suddenly find you were off the road!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Plenty of rain around today for sure.

You had best get the roofers in then Bus.

Reg - i bet you could do a pretty sharp mile.

SG - the aussies on inside running podcast were interviewing a 2.13 brit today, who ssid he does some of hid easy runs with his wife at 7.30 pace (she is a 35min, 77min runner herself).

12m here.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure i've seen even more dramatic differences with some Kenyan runners TR, over 8!

But then I expect the level of mileage these guys put in, and the ability to put in absolutely ferocious sessions means it's essential for them.
    I'd class as a "Hobby" runner with my mileage.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed, he said its all about hitting his 2 sessions a week hard (1 of which can be a long run including a session).
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Never rains but it pours eh Bus :p
    A dozen easy miles TR?
    Sounds like fun & games SG.
    Been raining continuously here too. I was back to wfh today but still didn't make it out the door til gone 3 partly due to the rain & partly procrastination to avoid the painful session I had planned: 6x 2K@6:40/1K@7:20. Target was 8:17 for the 2K &  4:33 for the float.  Actual splits were 8:17/4:29/8:17/4:36/8:11/4:32/8:17/4:39/8:15/5:00/8:34 I was hanging on by the end of the 5th effort so deliberately ran the final float slower but still couldn't hold the target pace for the effort. Pleased to get 6 done though as I originally intended 5 minimum so the 6th was a bit of a bonus. The loose, uneven surface & low hanging branches made it all a bit harder too. wu & cd meant it was 13.8M@7:10 average. Easy 8M tomorrow for sure.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Altitude too. Probably not that easy really! SG - Best road mile is 4.31, did 4.35 at Westminster last year in the masters mile - best one for Reg to do, really great event and day out.

Yes I think that the Horwill % thing is probably for 5 &10,000 runners. So if you are doing 60 mpw that's roughly 30 miles steady, 20 miles on the track!! 6.5 miles fartlek and 3.5 miles of hills. Tough but do-able. Probably about right as his legendary Saturday morning track sessions at Battersea were about 2 hours long with warm up etc.

Was nice this morning in the rain, steady 5 ish and the Hokas felt quite nice again.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - nice, that was a tidy session. Pretty sharp too. I ber the time passed nicely with pace to.focus on each rep.......12m easy indeed, av 7.57. Im only pushing it on the LT runs and recent long run sessions.

Simon - mr Horwill wouldnt be happy with my 0% per week. Back in the day i was good for 10x400m in sub 60 with 60sec rest, but i was about 16yr old then.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jools - those paces, is that along the lines of HM, and steady? So you're using a pace above easy as the recovery? I always find that the recovery in such a session feels like walking, yet if you set out at that pace, it'd feel like a decent effort :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    TR - that's exceptional pace for that many 400s sub 60 as reps! That sounds like the sort of pace you'd hear from the top  road runners in the country.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Never a dull moment today TR & I forgot about the rain too the moment I started running.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - ive enjoyed the long runs with tempo recently, and like the BAC sessions as by the time youve done them you have racked up some miles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - i did well in portsmouth schools xc so got advised to go to a club, i trained hard and came 3rd or 4th in County xc around age 13 or 14.  I wasnt really quick enough for track so drifted in and out of running, there were always loads ahead of my for club league races, athletics was popular and the level was much higher.
    I was around 2.20 something for 800m around 13 or 14. I remember giving it a good go for the summer when i was 17 (but had an apprenticeship, college etc and was drifting away), i did a 1k end of season race in 2:3X, and was just over 2min at 800m in that race. But i needed to be under 2min to make club team. So i drifted away.

I remember we had a good group (i liked the training to be fair) and on a monday we rotated 3 sessions

10x400 in under 60 sec, 60sec rest, if you didnt make sub60 you had to sit a rep out and had failed the session.

4x400 under 60 sec, 4x300 under 45 sec, 4x200 under 30 sec. Aim was to complete all reps under the time.

Some (cant remember how many) 60 sec reps getting as far as you could. We used to try to make a full lap plus getting to the javelin run up again.

It would destroy me now to run on a track and compare times.

I never really commited for long enough to gey anywhere.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds a different game entirely doesn't it! Those are some severe times.

Like yesterday, when the sprinter guy told me he'd do his 200s in 28, and race in under 22 :D 

I think all of us on here, bar Simon (!) are happier on the road!

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    SG The efforts were meant to be 10s faster than MP, so not as fast as HMP, with the float being 30s/Mile slower than MP.
    TR :o Sharp paces them - I've not come across anyone close to that kind of speed amongst my lot.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey TR - I feel sick just reading about those reps! Seriously sharp!

Jools - you don't really do easy do you? :smiley: Tough session, well executed!

Glad you all enjoyed the rain. My evening 7M was dry and in warm sunshine, if a little muddy underfoot :smile:

We had a roofer come round this afternoon. It was weird - I completely forgot about social distance until it suddenly dawned on me I was shoulder to shoulder with him looking out my bedroom window and we both stepped 3 feet back!  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I was a skinny teenager, i could have done with some of my current attitude. I should have given it a good go in my 30s really. The years i spent building up my skinny runners body in my 20s has made me a lot heavier, although ive lost a bit in the last couple of years.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Still no sunshine here Bus though the rain has finally abated.
    It'll be flat & easy all the way tomorrow  :)
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Some serious looking times of old there TR. When I was a teenager I was busy hitting golf balls all day every day. And then looking for ways to get drunk in the evening. Not quite the same level of sporting achievements!!

I did my BMAF 5k on the road in the end. Ran 18:00 thanks to some really, really shoddy pacing. Thought I needed to go out with some intent and so did (5:42 1st mile) but then suffered to a 5:57 mile 3. I need to go back to my normal pacing strategy as going off too fast is just no fun AT ALL!!

Looks like there's another virtual 5k coming up organised by England Athletics that might give me something to focus on. I might have a gentle effort at getting the club interested again but BMAF was my focus as I'm hoping that when folks see their results that it'll give them the confidence to come for the day out in Sutton Park next year as I really think it's a great event and something far more inclusive than the 12 stage. 

https://www.englandathletics.org/athletics-and-running/england-competitions/virtual-competitions/virtual-5k-champs/?fbclid=IwAR0pXut4i4A38KT4NKA2jBy0xW7shMveSxhWYNlQlfUMVGbpV2Fr2JoiSuY
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, i did find beer too.

See that EA back to athletics plan released, it dates a return through club athletics starting with track and ending with National Road Relays on Oct 4th.........maybe Oct 4th is now a free day for them to arrange road relays !
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    what do you think about Brasher's update on VLM then TR?  Are they thinking that they are going to get some sort of special dispensation to hold this one event? Otherwise it all seems a bit pie in the sky to me. 

I've got mixed feelings. Not sure that I need to be taking the risk to participate but if it's on I'll want to be there. Torn...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Wool - back in March i decided not to run Fleet as there was a lot of pressure to cancel events, they cancelled anyway. Bath went ahead. The chances of bumping in toban infected person was around 1 in 40 back then in somecplaces around lockdown time, its 1 in over 1000 now, by Oct 1 in ?

Still on for now is fine by me, they are obviously hoping for a bit of special treatment, as it looks like racing is coming back in Oct/Nov. They could send waves of runners off, but we'd be fine off gfa start anyway.

I hear a lot of is it on or off, asked by folks so they know wether to train or not. But most keen runners will have been running through lockdown. Ive had a really solid block of training due to no racing.

Interesting to hear what Brighton will say as they have an update due to. Seaside race, with plenty of fresh air.....?

I could be doubling up!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    they've certainly got some reason to remain positive and the date does link nicely with the timetable here. See you in the GFA pen, from a distance!

https://www.englandathletics.org/athletics-and-running/news/update-on-competition-planning-2020/
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bring yr elastic, we're going to smash it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sounds promising doesn't it folks.
    There must be a chance of London as they'd simply cancel otherwise. Maybe not in the form of usual years though.

Good to hear track is very likely to restart racing in July and clubs are going to open too.
    All little improvements to normality.

Seg fartlek today. Went and met a pal with her kid, so a lot of off clock breaks and buggy pushing slow running and chat.

A park had 8 segs so had a good go at 7. (The 8th was a fussy long one that would be too hard to get right)

The first two were raw sprint sort of fare. 4.20 and 4.39 for 0.15-0.19.
    Smashed myself and im sure i took the latter and was 50-50 on the former.
    Checked after..didn't pick either up 😂😱 cannot make it up. Proper lung burners on path versus the track!

It did mean even sub 5 felt a cruise for two others up to 0.33m though.

Two other comfortable ones mid to low 6s made it 4/7.

The last one i covered correctly but not fast enough, needing 4.50 pace on grass into a bit of wind. Watch moved from 524 to 420 so presumed i was well on course..but nope..one too many by then.

Quick jog to another park. Trying another short hill sprint.
    Needed something mad like 4.22 but had no strength by then for any sort of hill so a miserable 520 or so. The girl pal put the same time in as me 😄

However redeemed it by taking a 0.35mile loop at 5.03 pace.

Decent days work and a little cut back week so with 15 Sunday will be a 61mile week.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to understand where all this seg bashing fits in with your base training SG but I'm sure it's in Lydiard somewhere  :D

TR, I had another read through the VLM notice, some hints to a virtual event:

"coming up with innovative ways to socially distance the event." 
    "We still don’t know whether we will be able run together, walk together and be together on that journey of 26.2 miles on 4 October." 
    " Ingenuity of thought, technology and people."

CnBA with that TBH....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not following Lydiard as such, but this link below has an interesting flow about base training.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/what-is-base-training/

There's a litle triangle that basically says

1)Aerobic Base building 5-12 weeks
    2)Hill Training 2-4 weeks
    3)Anaerobic Development 2-4 weeks
    (plus this continues for a few stages to peak)

So roughly you could say what I was doing April-May covers the first stage, there's certainly been loads of hills recently, and these segs prob count as part 3 :)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - you've put plenty of base in for sure.

Wool - as per earlier the infection rate is dropping, we could be in a much better place in Oct. All those that dont want to run can defer if they like and we'll all run. Discouraging spectators is the biggest issue. But waves of runners is a possible......i wont do a virtual. It'll be either 11 laps of Goodwood or IoW for me if vlm cancels.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hopefully we're all getting to a position where we're perhaps a month of more specific stuff off a decent return into racing when possible.

Surely they can't claim London is "ON" by just allowing people to do virtual marathons! You'd have to be a maniac to go booting out a solo raced marathon!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I'm not 😅 More like ten years off!!!

Evening shuffle to make 4 days in a row and everything is holding up OK - just a bit slow and tired, with the ongoing issue of a fat foot! Oddly, it almost looks normal after a run or bike ride, so it's sitting around all day that gives it a chance to balloon...

Plan now is bIke tomorrow of36M+ then 12.5M+ on Sunday to get to my 100M target (40 run plus 60 bike).

It occured to me today I've not done a road run since 12th March, which was also my last proper session! 

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon chaps. Great old training TR - really swift 400's! Feel your pain Wool, had a similar experience this morning. The masters relays hopefully will have a much bigger turnout next May at Sutton Park, after all this exposure with the virtual racing.

So went over to the Aylesbury parkrun to post my Masters 5k. Felt ok - set off quite quick and felt ok - 3.14 for the first k. There's a run out to the bridge that causes the pan handle nature of the course, hit 2k at 3.20, so still harbouring dreams of a sub 16.30 (silly boy!). Then it started to get a bit messy after getting to 3k with a 3.22. Coming round the far end of the loop for the second time I could feel myself slowing up, 3-4 k covered in 3.27. Then a grind back through the trees to the start and was reaching there desperately trying to secure sub 17! A 3.34 last K gave me 16.59.

Actually quite upbeat, hammy felt ok, might have the right combo of stretches to ease it during faster reps...the longer runs don't seem to effect it as much.

So work to do...some of my pre lockdown peers are posting sub 16's. I have had a look through some of the times. Obviously folk are running well, but nothing like a proper race to see where everyone 'really' is.