Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Good progress Bus

Good news on all fronts Simon, agreed youd go much quicker in a race, with the competetive juices flowing.

SG - you run today? Even i thought it was humid today?

18 here today, 10 av 8mm, then aimed fot the p and d mp +10% which would be around 7.10s, 7 av 7.12 (bit slower on the hills, but decent average) but then got carried away with last mile 6.44. Super humid, will need to sink a few later to quench my thirst and replace lost fluid.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Some great sessions and running going on;

Particular mention to Jules; one hell of a long intervals effort and at a decent lick too.

Good marker in the sand Simon and no doubt rapid improvement to come back to nearer your usual 16ish (and under) 5ks.

More segs SG :D ; well done, must be loads of effort hunting them all down as well as running them.

Good to see you running 4 days consecutively Bus; wouldn't usually do that myself even fully fit so you must be over the worst. 

TR you were a real track wiz in your day then. Surprising you've gone to the other extreme as an endurance man nowadays; do you yearn for the shorter races and track stuff at all?

Wool: 18 exact still a pretty decent 5k and after time out injured and your focus having been on long stuff for ages its excellent. I'd love that sort of time ;)

I've been going forward with this Mike Trees' 10k plan for another week. Have had to move my venue from Ascot to Upton Court parkrun course for the week with the perimeter track being closed due to Royal Ascot. That means running mostly on grass but it is in great condition at the moment and I love the venue as it is free of traffic and bikes and not even many people jogging or walking. There are also permanent k markers left there which the parkrun put up which I find really helpful.

Wednesday was 5k then a 3 min recovery then another 3k all at 10 mile pace (plus w/u and c/d). Came out at 19'40 for the 5k and 11'50 for the 3k, so about right (if I still can think of myself as about a 63-64 10  mile runner!). Today was targeting faster paces; 2x3k at 10k pace (3 min recovery) then 2x1k at 5k pace. This time came out at 11'19 and 11'33 for the 2 3k's and 3'44 and 3'43 for the 1k's. Again happy enough, the 3k reps relatively a bit better, so probably pushed those a bit too hard. Overall quite enjoying this programme as it gives me something to focus on and I like being told to deliberatley run really slow in all other weekly running ;)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pete - nice, well done for perservering with the plan. As before, its a long way from a broken calf.........i was better at xc than track, so strength is my strength. Although my short distance WAVAs are better than my maras despite not training for shorter distances. I have no desire to run on a track nowadays.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one TR - I tend to rest saturdays - my lazy day.
    Some have dragged this last 6 weeks, but now footy is back, i'm on the sky and bt sports passes and smashing the games out :)

I don't know enough about humidity, as if you look at the bbc weather, mornings are always the highest reading. But a high reading doesn't always mean it's that horrible sapping feeling. Maybe it's a combination with temperature over a certain limit that produces that fog.
    I think a lot of people mix up humidity and temp, but they're totally different, and you can acclimatise and deal with the latter, but the former can just have a really negative effect on your running, and potentially lead to a wipe out.

Pete - knew you'd get into the swing of it.
    With "proper" sessions, the easy pace finds itself easier. There's no surprise my easy stuff will be slower when i'm doing full sessions, or lots of hills etc.
    I also find longer runs build more momentum than shorter ones, and are more motivating.
    If I know i'm only needing 4-6, it's early and it feels a "filler" of a run, i'll very likely trudge a 7.30 to begin, and it'll gently increase over the run. Whereas a 10 feels more of a purpose, and probs starts quicker too.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR's comment on strength is an important one - even with these segs i'll see much slower runners who can produce more on hill sprints and hills in general. Whereas without any doubt I'm suited to flat smooth road running the best.

The segs are of course a bit of fun while we're looking for impetus outside of normal and training and races. It's fun to pick some random place and just do some varied distance efforts, without the very regimented usual approach of xx reps at xx pace, with xxx recovery - we spend most of our years doing that - so a bit of freestyle can't be knocked on occasion.
    At times half the challenge is getting that exact route right! Was gutted to put mid/slightly low 4 pace in and not hit the right route, garhhhh. That's uncomfortable pace outside a track.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice P&D 18 again TR - solid.

Pete  great sessions, and the combination of thoe and really easy will pay dividends when we can race again!

Simon - very important 1 sec that, and definitely a lot to come off in due course and the heat of the race.

And similar to Pete, Wool, I'd be very happy with that 5k - doubt I'll get anywhere near that time again!

SG - relative humidity is just a measure of how saturated the air is compared to its capacity to take more moisture. The impact being on our ability to swat. The more humid the air, the less easy it is for sweat to evaporate and it's that evaporation that cools us. 

Right, off for a bike ride now......

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes the air was damp today due to overnight rain.

SG - i watched the spurs game last night, had a pre-season feel to it, lacked intensity but that might just be mourinho for you.

Im not quick on hills as im heavy, but am strong in general and a bit of a diesel chugger. Cracknell talks about who can hold their hand in the flame for the longest, that's the sort of strength i mean.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The first round of games were always asking to be a bit sluggish. They normally have ages of a pre season playing multiple friendlies, so this version was always going to be asking a lot to hit the ground running. Then add in the crowdlessness meaning it must be hard to get the adrenaline going too.

I wouldn't dream of buying sky or bt normally, but the massive packing in of game makes it very cost effective this once.

My seg sparring pal just retook a downhill short one at 4.18 pace. That's a good lick. That'd take a proper full on go to attempt which is hard to justify!
    I did note he took a short one at 6 pace though ;)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    SG - maybe the intensity will kick up as the games go on.

8m easy, tired legs from pushing the hills yday.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Not surprised TR!

Beginning to feel like a runner again! 13.5M today and 41 for the week with just shy of 5000ft of climbing. The pace was OK too for hilly off-road fare - not blistering by any means, better than recent efforts.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR - you've got to occasionally feel it on your level of miles, however comfortably paced a lot are.
    I have the fantasy footy angle for some of these games for more interest too - i run an work (and ex work people!) league of 90 people - that will be an incredible ask to get anywhere near that number next year with the whole situation we find ourselves in!

Sounds a bit more like it there Bus, back ended weighted week.

15 for me, 7.08 job, another humid one.
    Saw my seg mate had a 2mile loop one in Bourne End that needed quite a moderate pace and was a little loop I'd never really done, so filled two purposes.

Another course tomorrow and Tuesday, so probably just a couple of 5-6 &4 doubles, and something faster Wednesday.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That's another solid long one TR, interesting you consider yourself a diesel whereas it sounds like you were doing middle distance in your youth.

Things getting back to normal for you bus which sounds positive, 41 miles would represent an annual high for me so sounds good.

Sounds like you're doing well on the Mike Trees plan Pete, I suppose it's not too different for you as you'd often do a parkrun/10k double so you're used to doing plenty of quality in a week. I need to start thinking about introducing some quality but I think I need to spend some time building up the endurance and mileage first. If I can get to 12-15 miles long run regularly and 35-45 miles a week mostly easy, I'd be more than happy to drop that down to 30-35 with more quality. My massage therapist treated Mike Trees when he was trying to win some master world thing so I've come across his name before. I found a sub 16 5k plan on Youtube which I may bastardise for an 8 week plan finishing end of summer.

Back to now and I did a club Zwift 100k race on Saturday and 12 easy miles this morning, I felt a lot more sweat falling from my brow this morning than usual. Club race was more of a solo time trial as I broke away after just one lap of 25. It was basically 25 laps of 4km which was quite useful for checking the pace.Managed to hold a fairly decent pace for 60km and then just slowed each lap after that but with the fastest lap saved for the final lap so still had some in the tank. 2:29 for the 100k and 286w average. Lapped all but one of the other 24 riders. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Great sessions Pete.
    Tasty LR TR.
    I’d be very happy with that 5K Wool. Well done.
     I guess the niggles have had a detrimental impact on your speed endurance Simon - at least you’re still sub 17.
    Sounds like real progress there Bus.
    More fun & games SG. Great stuff.
    I did a 5K not Parkrun Saturday. Wasn’t really feeling it though & was consequently slower than recent attempts. It was off road & hence slightly slippy after all the recent rain but definitely not that bad. I then joined a couple of fell running pals for 17M on the English side of the Black Mountains. Much deserved day off today.

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I reckon Pete did one of his long, long walks again yesterday - clocked you on the Long Walk with a young lady and a very big dog. I was one of those lounging on the grass eating over-priced M&S food and admiring those exercising in the heat! Tasty session there over at Upton, does that new path they've put on along the top straight help / hinder the parkrun course at all?

I had done 15 all off-road in the morning. Started in the drizzle, ended in the sun, mega humid. Could have done with a shirt-off but not at my age and not in Berkshire!

Sub 17 sounds good to me solo and off a less than perfect build-up Simon. I'm sure that there's faster to come from you now the leg is playing ball again. 

Good to see Bus, TR, Jools, Reg up to their usual tricks. Good stuff. And SG, it seems like your (segment) antics with young ladies from the club is causing them to go and look for other partners to share the joy with. It's a disease. Aggggh!!  B)

Interesting turn by the MK marathon organizers today. The Sep20 event will be virtual but over a pre-determined, MK-based route that competitors should run in the space of a 2 week period. There's an app that will even give verbal directions for you to follow. Seems like the route is away from major roads to avoid issue. Maybe London will do the same and get us to run loadsa laps of Battersea Park or something?!

Much of the football has been shocking. To think that Iwobi is on 50k/week. De Gea on 375k/week. Wow....
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ahem😄

I have tried to communicate the danger of becoming a segs addict.
    And how limiting them to fast days is wise and that's only now when proper training leading to races is off.

But it's like easy pace - always easier to tell every else off and not apply to yourself ☺

Another course. High light so far was when the leader went into their "recent" files and i clocked an old cv, a new cv and file named after a major retailer with "interview" aside it 😂
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Yes Wool, another long walk, but not so long this time as, being father's day, it was with my older daughter (and GSD ;) ) as well as the teenage one who had gone off to M&S in search of a healthier lunch than we had opted for! You should have come and said hello; the GSD is so friendly even though I appreciate lots of people are wary of them. Its the same dog though that caused the pile up at Crane parkrun when it jinked to the side near the start and caused by younger daughter (doing Cani) to crash into a bin. 

Anyway we started at Staines this time and just walked along the Thames to Datchet then back to the Long Walk. Route back was shorter, straight to Old Windsor to rejoin the Thames to Staines again. Only the 14 miles total this time but once again has had its repercussions and my right knee feels very sore now. Seems a dodgy business this walking; for once not having probs running but 2 out of 2 long walks have left their impact. 

Didn't even notice a top path at Upton but I'm not very observant when running; I just turned before the top and ran across the grass as in all the parkruns I've done there. 
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    segs addict might be a new high point for this thread. Smiling at that one!!

You were moving well Pete and I was lay flat on the grass with 15 miles in my legs from earlier in the day. I sat up and quickly realised that I'd never catch you!

I've also had a pile up at Crane Park. I was clipped from behind by a guy wearing headphones - the start is a bit narrow TBH.

I'll go take a look at Upton. I may have been hallucinating!

My flop in the 5k the other day meant I was briefly motivated to do some harder running over the next few weeks. Seeing that it might be 33C on Wed / Thurs has kinda put a dampener on that  B)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Along similar pun-ish lines it was always awkward talking about the electronics shop "CEX".

Just off to the CEX shop. You what sunshine?
    One garmin that didn't work two mins after buying it permanently put me off that place.

Course finished 3pm today!! What a bargain. Off for a 4 with a woody climb first half. Looking shirt off material.

Wednesday looks well timed for a tempo then!! Might make it one of those Marlow MT steady jobs. And try and force out earlier than midday!

Ps Upton definitely has a path section at the top. I noticed it not long ago and wondered why on earth they'd put that in.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cracking couple of days there Reg......i was better at xc though as it was harder, and had no real speed. Lots were quicker than me, but there was no 5k or 10k for teens, so everyone did middle distance.

Wool - id do that sort of mara as a training run, but thats all. If vlm is off, then im aiming IoW or Goodwood (Sept and Dec dates).

SG - as a guy that finds the warm days hot, you had best get out well before noon for a tempo on weds.

15 here tonight.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hot is one thing. It's the humidity combined. Mix those two and it's never giggles.

I don't think anyone who could do 12x400 off 60 under 60 can be described as having no speed!

Id bet a lot of pretty fast guys could barely get under 60 for one and itd take a superb road runner to complete that session you quote.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    TR said:
    SG - i did well in portsmouth schools xc so got advised to go to a club, i trained hard and came 3rd or 4th in County xc around age 13 or 14.  I wasnt really quick enough for track so drifted in and out of running, there were always loads ahead of my for club league races, athletics was popular and the level was much higher.
    I was around 2.20 something for 800m around 13 or 14. I remember giving it a good go for the summer when i was 17 (but had an apprenticeship, college etc and was drifting away), i did a 1k end of season race in 2:3X, and was just over 2min at 800m in that race. But i needed to be under 2min to make club team. So i drifted away.

I remember we had a good group (i liked the training to be fair) and on a monday we rotated 3 sessions

10x400 in under 60 sec, 60sec rest, if you didnt make sub60 you had to sit a rep out and had failed the session.

4x400 under 60 sec, 4x300 under 45 sec, 4x200 under 30 sec. Aim was to complete all reps under the time.

Some (cant remember how many) 60 sec reps getting as far as you could. We used to try to make a full lap plus getting to the javelin run up again.

It would destroy me now to run on a track and compare times.

I never really commited for long enough to gey anywhere.
    I was still amazed by this post TR, especially coupled with you claiming to lack pace :D

I knew that was an amazing session, but I wanted to know how good - so i ran it past a coach pal of mine who has trained internationals.

He said that the 10x400 off 60 sub 60 was a Roger Bannister favourite , when he was sub 4 material, and suggested being around 3.40 for 1500 at that standard of training.

3.40 for 1500 in the year the guy he trained to a 3.47 (1.55 for 800m and a guy who could boot out loads of 62-63 400s) was top 10 in the country!

Your group must have had some raw quality in it for sure! Do you know how far they progressed in the sport?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dont get confused with paces we run as heavy old guys, these were sessions run by skinny 15 to 17 year olds. Most were around 2min 800m runners from memory. Certainly not the level you speak of.
    There were guys that went on to do well in English schools and make representative appearnces on track or xc. I dont seem to remember it as being a big deal, there were lots better than me, i just made up. Numbers in the group. You wouldnt get in the team forv Sourhern league as a  2min 800m man. Athletics was popular and the level was high. I remember setting the school 800m record age 13 as something like 2.27, all the fat kids growing up today would get no where near it.

Some years after me, a product of the same coach won the 2002 commonwealth 1500m. I saw him running the other week, id take him now. But i guess he doesnt havethe desire anymore.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Yes that is flying. My best is about 66/67's for that session. Good segs there SG, cheers Wool, yes I hope I can get there soonish again. Agree about the weather, I'm the same about wanting to put some hard work in, but will keep it shorter this week.

Decent couple of days - LSR was running to Ridgemont station just by Amazon at J13 of the M1, just under 11 miles. Bit of running frustration from the 5k led to me getting a decent tempo in from Woburn onwards, putting a 6.02 mile, 66 for the 10 and a 40.18 10k apparently says Strava.

Finally fizzy VitC tablets are back in Tesco, and got my German rye bread in again like I used to when I was commuting, so felt good today on my 9 miler to Wing and back. Went out later to do another 4 - was running near my bosses place over the other estate...and clipped the kerb and fell over! Told my boss and he showed me a post by their residents Facebook group...saying a JOGGER! fell over and hoping they were ok :)

Oh the shame....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Oh definitely not trying to compare us road runners with track kids - that'd be an ugly comparison :D  I remember just about holding a 16year old schoolgirl champ off in a 3k once :o 

It's more that the times that completing that session should see in races is competitive with almost anyone in the UK!

Had a quick look at that Gold winner, 3.37 - a little quicker than the estimation my coach mate gave (3.40), but that really is the sort of level to reasonably expect from that session output - it's truly exceptional.

Lucky for most of us, we haven't been brilliant, so still remain motivated.

There's a similar guy to the the Gold guy locally. Olympian who holds something like the 12th fastest ever 800 (1.42 maybe?), and just road runs for fun now. Beat him at the Marlow 5 one year.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Keep up the jogging Simon!  :D   But take it easy, you've just got back right!

Right, until tomorrow, course day 2, 6&4, bit dull but it'll do.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Simon - ouch! I take those vit C too.

SG - his best was 3.32, he came 6th in olympics too. He ran 17.30ish in a local road 5k last yr, so it'd be close if we raced. His wife is a coach and i see what must be his daughter running quick sometimes, one to look out for.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Simon, that's too funny. Hope there are no ill effects from the fall though!

SG, didn't Rob run a 1:52 800m or something similarly stupid in his youth. It's not fair having to run against these people.

There's defo a tarmac path for about half the northern end of Upton Court park now as I ran on it this morning. A few others bits of re-modelling along there will mean that the parkrun will require a little bit of re-routing when it's back on but nothing too major.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Oh SC, double indignity! Getting some positive vibes coming from your post though, sure we will soon seen that 5k time normalise soon. Until then I can enjoy being in your league. 😄
    I agree with TR, none of us run fast, I remember thinking 800m was a long way as a kid and would run 12 seconds for 100m thinking I was slow.and now you realise it was almost world record pace for the mile. Completely different perspective. I  am definitely motivated now by the fact I did nothing of great merit as a kid.
    So by contrast I did almost 6 pedestrian miles this morning but I did notice my aerobic efficiency or beats per mile dropping below 1000 for the first time since I was setting a 10k PB. Not that I’m on that form but not far away. 
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Never heard of beats per mile before - wondered what you were on about on Stava as I thought it was an amazing heart rate :lol:

Simon - the least joggy jogger on the thread probably! Hope you are ok?

I remember doing an 800m race at school just once, on a grass "track" and doing OK off the back of no previous training. No idea what the time was, and the competition would have been very poor, but always regret not actually following it up and spending my time drinking cider and listening to obscure prog rock bands instead :smile:

6.7M early doors for me today in preparation for a possible double day. Still not decided whether I'd be better off biking instead though, on the basis that it would give more recovery and less impact. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool - had to check, 1.53. He has superb natural talent and must have been national standard as a kid.
    He's always what I think of as a "proper" runner, brought up through track racing, rather than coming into running off a different sport like the likes of me.

He seems to only need a 6 week block of 30miles a week after ages of nothing to get back to about 90% of his level, whereas I'd take 6 months minimum. Unfair - but that's life. The likes of me with "a bit" of aptitude have to try and close the gap by doing a lot and being ultra committed :)

The one 400 i've ever "raced" was such a horrific pain of lung bursting delirium, I wouldn't dare to repeat it!