Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work's test race at Rye seemed to go well.
    Next one is a 5 or 10mile option in two weeks. Bit of a journey from here, 2hr 20 or so.

Some Reading way trail half has sprung up too.
    Not sure i like the sound of it though.
    Have to take your drink with you, have a phone and best of all, they advise you to wait until the road sections to call if you get into trouble 😱

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    The Podium 5k is being broadcast on Facebook 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Looks an insane standard. 13.09 the fastest guy on paper - Marc Scott. And Dewi Griffiths and a few other 13xxs in there on the track.

Could see the all time road 5k record go.

The time I did it, my 17.00 was about 45th, watching ex Olympian Nick McCormick (faster time than Mo Farah in the London 2012 heats) who is in there tonight, romp to the win in 14.44.

He'll be way off the front in that tonight!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    With that line up it’s going 13:xx
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    While 12.53 is the UK track record, the 5k road record is 13.30 from 96.
    A much less freqently raced distance - so tonight could be the time to beat that. Especially from a 13.09 track guy in this field.

Needs good luck with the wind down the backstraight though - i remember going into that 5 times didn't help :D 

• Cheers, Reg. I’ll watch that
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt L is on now
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Dave N announced ML as a pb, but i think he's every so slightly just outside, cruel!

He hasn't been on for months, so doubt he'll pop on. Great effort though
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Yes, Matt L a couple of seconds off his best but best time for about 6 years. 15:39 for 17th in the C race! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dave N seems to be overstating times, as he just said a guy went sub 14.20 in the B race, but it looked a good few seconds over to me?

However, 2-3 under 14.30 in the B race!!! Behave!!

Coverage is a bit up and down, laptop for the half of the first race they showed, but wouldn't work on the B race, so was on the phone.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    New UK record 13.20 then!
    Two under the old one!

Was thinking it'd happen in terms of sub 13.30, but it needed superb support from the guy in 2nd to push it along.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Disappointing! Only a dozen under 14 minutes! Some Brownlee kid in about 8th is perhaps one to watch. Think there were 3 triathletes in the top eight!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Strong showing from the triathletes; Yee, Brownlee, Sheldon and Deijstra. Showing the runners up 😄
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    No running for me this week but did get a good ride in this morning, 106 miles with a good 6000ft of climbing. Longest ride in a few years. Bit tired last hour and could have done with more than two 700ml bottles but just about rationed them out.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Reg.
    I was knackered enough watching a video on youtube of some maniac wandering miles and miles to break into the town near Chernobyl, and climbing everything in sight.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Missed Sheldon! And of note is Tom Evans in 4th: ultra marathoner who was aiming to re-write some of the fell race records this year. Trains with triathletes at Loughborough. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Heard from Matt elsewhere. 2 seconds off the pb. Superb effort.

Noticed McCormick was in the 1420s, instead of the 14.40s from solo or lower stacked fields. Heck of an improvement at that level!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    First lady is a triathlete these days as well. 

Time you came up again for the Podium races, SG: next evening is 12th September. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    12th September, wow that's quite close. First day of the football season too. Would say will the two sync up, but as it stands no crowds are allowed in until October.

Either way I'll have to maximise on some of these footy trips when they're back on - combine with races etc.
  • Great ride, Reg. Amazing you cope on so little water in such weather. Impressed with the triathlete showing last night. JB made to look relatively pedestrian. 

What’s the podium course like, SG? Obviously got a bit of an idea of one end of it from the coverage. Presumably flat and not too many turns. Is it some kind of cycle crit racing track?

Good to see a wider range of shoes on show as well. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    A smooth cycle track of just under 1km. So you do 4 3/4 laps.

Can be fairly windy on the back straight though but i guess the better a runner the less that affects them!

Back at usual 6am wake up material today. Out soon.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Im away at mo (in SQ area), but ticking over, targetting 11 and a bit laps of goodwood for my sub3 now instead of vlm.

Re Tom Evans, he was in the Army and trained with a localish to me elite group, but he is now loughborough based. He did well at inter counties xc and has run well at short distances, so isnt just an ultra man. Was targetting vlm in April, not sure if he'll be invited for Oct, but he is going to be very good.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cracking ride that Reg! I was happy with my 37M :blush:

Good work Matt!!!

Usual 14M hilly LSR today, but unusually early to avoid the heat. Still very humid though. Glad its done!  Keeping the 100M weeks going though - 56 on the bike and 45 running this week.

Looking to head to the Lakes next week, but really struggling to find a suitable place to stay within budget! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Got up at pre lockdown Sunday times today knowing how the weather would be.

15 with a surprisingly high elevation of over 1,000 feet for a 7.36 average.

Did a reversal of recent routes in doing the steep bit in Wycombe first. So by mile 3, 300feet climb were racked up. Most of that in about 1.4miles.

New route into Marlow then a quick decision that a straight 8mile road trip home wouldn't be that fun.
    So took the chance to explore a couple of new bits and then take the most enjoyable of the hill options back to Wycombe in Sheepridge. Nice offroad paths to the side and a fairly moderate climb helps a lot. Across the road crawling up some steps and somehow racked a 2nd up on a segment.

Back into Flackwell and a couple of laps of some dodgy ploughed field for some real variety all in 👍👍
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - i thought you were on hols this week for some reason.
    But then being on furlough month 5 now i sometimes have to remember what day it is, less alone any other bearings.

Expecting to be into last 3 weeks of it now though. Did weigh up hooning off somewhere but I'm not sure the current climate makes it that great an idea. Also..have 29.5 days holiday accrued to take by end of March 😄
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    You have to question the sanity of furlough when you can have months off and not have to use up your holiday!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Lake swim this morning and a ride there and back. Two 5am starts this weekend and I am knackered now! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Reg Wand said:d
    You have to question the sanity of furlough when you can have months off and not have to use up your holiday!
    I think it's one of those worker rights things.
    Like maternity leave where someone is off for a year and still accrues full holiday on top.
  • That’s a good week, Bus. 

Tidy pace for that much climbing, SG. Humid, but a lot less hot this morn compared to this afternoon. 

A race, an actual race! The Wyedean Relay was low key, yet friendly and safe. Each leg was point to point and I was fortunate to be on the longest: 10k with 1400ft climbing (just to further mess with units) and some technical trails. 

I’d been told recceing was essential, but didn’t manage to. Fortunately, Jools gave me a GPX to follow and, incredibly, NE from the P&D thread ran the course (as a local), filmed the key gates, junctions, random trees to turn right at etc, added commentary and stuck it on YouTube. Amazing. 

After a socially distanced briefing we walked to the start point in approx pace order. Felt a bit like primary school, all keeping in single file. I was third, based on 5k time. Ahead of me was a member of a South Wales fell running club and Matt Rees, of London Marathon notoriety a couple of years ago (helping someone in need to the finish line).

We were set off with 10s gaps and were straight into a 700ft climb in the first mile (11:40 😆). I was overtaken twice, but got one back before the top. 

Plenty of stunning views - the Wye Valley near Monmouth really is beautiful. Loads of gates, roots and twists and turns. Felt like quite a Fartlek-type effort. Some sub 6 pace on the downhills before another big climb (500ft) in the second half. 

The final third was through Cadora Woods. Never been before, but will definitely go again. It felt like the best of forest single track mountain biking. Got into a real battle, albeit friendly, with one of those who overtook me, and took some risks in the final descent. No way I could have gone that fast alone. Although I will take Strava’s pace of the last 0.3M at 3:01 with a pinch of salt. So, just nipped this chap to claim third. Although of course I had forgotten he set of 20 or 30s behind me. Nonetheless, good to be greeted by club mates at the end. Something like 49:30. I imagine this is my slowest ever 10k, but by far the hilliest. 

As it was a point to point I elected to run back to my car at the start. If I’m going to use up big tokens by being out for five hours, I want to get a few miles out of the warm down. First half I followed the race route in reverse, enjoying the amazing woods again and seeing the other competitors. I then jumped onto a river path for a flatter yet still scenic final few miles.  

Now weighing up whether to enter a marathon at Dorney Lake on 4th October. £37 but unsure on refunds if cancelled. Logistics work quite well and would give a focus to a six week block. Wouldn’t expect a PB, but it would be good to log a sub 3 in 2020.