Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Still no response from the boys behind these races a week after an enquiry.

I know it's mad days, but if they're putting races on, they can probably answer an enquiry within a week!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sensible gentle 8 yesterday following Sunday's extravaganza, and then a 10 just then.

Both days humid - always a wet one.

Will aim for something faster tomorrow.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    You know the answer SG, so do they so have no desire in answering you! With their events it’s just a bonus if the course length matches somewhere close to that advertised.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Podium 5k banned...and this was their original shockingly petulant post!

Quickly edited now.

Image may contain text that says Podium 5k padrum 17 17m No more PODIUM5K race licenses for foreseeable future The races you organise are too dangerous to licence at the minute If you want races youll have to pay 20 and run with the fatties on Blackpool prom Like Comment Share

Did wonder how they were allowed to have 50-60 runners all bunched in close, when every other race that has resumed is doing waves and gaps.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Not sure you want to put that on here either SG, they won't thank you for it.

Those Dorney races are localish to you, not sure what you're waiting for.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    They won't thank me TR?

I don't think 1000s of runners, many of which are sharing it on social media as we speak are thanking them for their disgusting elitist attitude.

I'm surprised they were allowed to race in that format - after all, they weren't all elites who have been tested, there were B and C races where more normal paced types ran.

They're doing 4 distances - i wanted to know which if any are on po10. I'll probably do one, but the answer decides which.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Greetings all. Just finished catching up with the 80+ posts since I went up North on August 1st after a sluggish (not)Parkrun effort of 20:21. 
    Usual fare. That CR locker must be getting pretty crowded SG! I enjoyed the 2 race reports. Great runs JB & SQ. Also enjoyed the Fetch games chat which was all new to me as although I’m registered I’ve yet to be converted. Might have another look now. 
    2 weeks in Scotland meant I missed the heatwave. Had some lovely runs along very quiet roads, some solid trails & even a beach or two. Did a touch over 60M in week 1 & 68.5 last week including 2 (not)Parkrun hit outs. Did 19:39 on the Alness course on Tuesday then 19:37 in Montrose Saturday which was a couple of seconds quicker than I managed back in Easter 2018 when I won it 😎
    We also did a few hikes including finally bagging Ben Nevis & the stunning Quiraing on Skye. Unfortunately the cloud was down on the Ben & it was -3 on the summit!
    Also saw porpoises, salmon leaping, dolphins & seals as well as the largest Gannet colony so a great way to spend 2 weeks. Bargain too as we slept in the car when not staying with friends & availed ourselves of the govt “Eat Out to Help Out” scheme as often as possible 😀
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Jools - sounds a nice one.
    Hope all the holiday gang are back soon - always best when we have a high (not just me yabbering) turnover.

I clocked a geezer who runs PO10 who has almost 1,000 segments!
    Chatting to him on some fb group he said he has to reclaim loads as some clown will cycle through a few a day.

Imagine the admin time!!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    SG: biggest field in the Podium races this time was 29. I had already spoken with one runner who felt it was extremely safe, and as a pharmacist I think she would have a good perspective!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep - i'm not sure where I got 50-60 from. They did keep to the 30 limit throughout.

I think it was the lack of distancing at the start in grids that has knocked them.
    But without chip timing, it's got to be an impossible mission keeping people back - it really has.
    They could probably do the same format without insurance and thus a po10 certificate without an issue - but like the organiser said - people want po10.

I dare say the sad truth is that 99% of these sort of races would be super safe for all - but unfortunately in this climate, they can't take any sort of unnecessary risks 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    6m tempo job.
    Can't say it looked too appetising in the wet and wind.

6.20 first mile made me wonder if it'd need a dip into the disclaimer bag as usually these start with the fastest mile.

However it picked up and was happy for a 6.15 average today.

Gate to open last quarter mile and half a mile on slightly slippy mud.

But crept bottom end of the zone so all good.

Always feels good getting a tempo off.

Could probs have run with local Dom as he ended up very similar pace but was aiming  10k at 10k effort. Classic Dom but fair play for even attempting!

I dare say we'd have put a mad first half mile in though and wrecked each other 😂
  • Stevie G said:
    I clocked a geezer who runs PO10 who has almost 1,000 segments!
    Chatting to him on some fb group he said he has to reclaim loads as some clown will cycle through a few a day.

Imagine the admin time!!
    I've been exchanging emails with Tim for a number of years as we both like stats a bit. I actually met him at parkrun one day but it was only when I got home and saw the results that I realised who he was so we are yet to exchange pleasantries face to face. He is a super-tall guy and looks as though he shouldn't be able to control his limbs but a sub-4 1,500m says he can.

Had the waterproof trainers on this morning as it has gone really wet underfoot and I was on one of my off-road runs up and down the hills around West Wycombe, Hugenen and Bradenham. I think I am starting to crack this running for fun lark. Was thinking about that during my run. My grandfather (who I never met) died before he was 40 years old of a heart attack. My father had bypass surgery at about the same age I am now. He is now 84 years old and walking about 3 miles most days so I hope to be running into my 80s so need to pace myself to ensure I am running for at least another 25 years.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Tim looks to have been a superb runner - and still very tidy in his age range to say the least!
    He does some decent trainer comparisons on youtube etc

I was interested that a lot of his segs are where I used to family holiday in the 90s - Wells-next-the sea. Would be interesting to get back there one day - maybe if Wycombe play Norwich away this season and fans are allowed back in it'd work!

Shocking with the grandfather there Phil - especially as I'm currently that age.

When I had that year of tests, family history was looked into - so having a dad who'd had a heart attack at 50 was not a positive for the record books! He was fit in a walking sense - but stress seemed to be a notch against. Always have to do as much as you can to ward it off if it's the family history.

None of us can be complacent - I'll never forget coming towards the finish of the Maidenhead 10 one year - in a decent for my level sort of time back then - and a poor guy had collapsed 100metres from the finish - air ambulance job, and sadly passed away.
  • Stevie G said:
    maybe if Wycombe play Norwich away this season and fans are allowed back in it'd work!

My kid brother is a Norwich fan (we grew up in Norfolk) so we are hoping for Wycombe vs Norwich at Adams Park. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Well we'll play them there!

The problem September games will be behind closed doors, and October for the foreseeable will be only season ticket holders and no away fans, at absolute max!

I realise the "Maybe" in my original post should have just applied to the fans being back in bit - we will for certainly play Norwich twice.
  • SG I have enjoyed some of Tim Grose’s videos on FB/YouTube. 1000 segments is a hell of a lot. I wonder whether he created many. Tidy tempo today. 

Jools that sounds a great time away. Stunning photos. Talisker being shut is a shocker though. 

Good Ross Tucker Science of Sport podcast today about hydrating on runs. Essentially pointless from a hydration perspective but useful as a means of delivering carbs, if that is your preferred fuel. On Sunday morning, I ran 20M without breakfast and only drinking before leaving. But I think it is a lot about what you are used to. 

Bit of a convoluted session today, although got something out of it in the end. Up at 5, out by 5.10 with the aim of getting back before family woke up. Planned on a BAC session of 24, 18, 12, 6, 3 mins, off 3 min jogs, going from MP to 5k pace. 

1.5M WU and got 6 minutes into the MP before getting the call. Unfortunately the wee nipper has been ill for the last few days and I needed to get back. So 4M with a few minutes of effort in there. 

After a non-regulation 3.5h gap, got back out at 9ish for another stab, but couldn’t quite muster the enthusiasm for a monster session. Probably the caffeine High5 tab I took first thing having worn off. 

9 x 600ish, with 2 min jogs, around a dog walking park, thinking the heavy rain would put off some of the canines. A good gravelly/hard packed surface, better than grass in this weather, but certainly got a bit muddy. Pace a bit varied according to strava: 5:30-6:10. Effort there either way. About 8M at 7m/m average. 

Might incorporate the descender session into this weekend’s long run. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bad luck there - but i suppose that is the lot of a parent - it's not about you anymore.

Well done getting back out there!

I got up at 7am, but still only got back at 12 from my sesh (perhaps a 20min drive away?)

I definitely will have a rude awakening soon when I need to get stuff done to be working by 9am :D 
    Though it most likely won't be in the office which is on a perfect empty road day still a 30min drive, so that helps.

Oddly i'm 50-50 on 600s versus segs on Friday.

Sort of have that feeling it's time to get back to "proper" sessions soon with a few races in the offing. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Another 10 today - how many times have I posted that this last 5months!

Usual post tempo run experience - you think it'll be easier as yesterday was quicker pace needed, but isn't :)

Felt a bit hungry at the start, with a traipse up a steep hill taking me to 3miles, but the rest felt pretty comfy and relaxed.
  • Hi All

So blatantly not reading the 119 posts, but hope you've all been well. First race tomorrow at MK, good to see the british weather has already headed us off with 40mph winds.

Went to see the folks in Poole last week and got thoroughly fried. Got a few decent runs in. 16 x 400 on Tuesday - race tomorrow, will report back.

Us fatties first, then the proper runners later ;)

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Si ignoring the posts gives me a nice segway back in, good luck with the race. I am in Pembrokeshire where we've got 60mph gusts but blessedly we're staying in a small village that is fairly well cosseted by hills and trees.

Having spent last weekend in Bristol I had planned to cycle to Pembrokshire from Bristol but we bought a new car and I wanted to drive it :-) so now I am pondering cycling back on Saturday or Sunday, whichever offers the best tailwind! I am slightly daunted by the prospect and with light ebbing away each day it is unlikely I can complete the trip in daylight.

That Podium post was a bit of a surprise, normally race organisers are thoroughly wholesome.

Been fairly inactive myself lately, one rindy wide whilst here and a run in Bristol and a run in Pembrokeshire is all I have done, pretty much a week off exercise to be honest.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Take the safest option Reg!

First "Proper" track sesh for months - was time to leave the segs alone.

Was aiming to ease in with a classic pyramid 200-400-600-800-1k and down.

Noticed local Dom in the locality who was doing his own sesh, so for once thought a bit of company on there.

Unfortunately there was a bit more company on there. A beardy angry coach :D 

He was prowling around, so I thought i'd always be on the opposite side of where he popped up, and got some jogs and a 36 for the first 200m off.

The game couldn't continue too long more though as he wandered over and started ranting something about police and trespass and "I hate you butler".

Ok i made that last one up, and after weighing up for a few seconds the old "deaf ear", I turned and had a nice chat - and he said they had kids coming for a session soon.

I pointed out i was actually a member, and the "No entry" sign had long been removed, but he allowed me 15-20mins which was fair enough. He explained he'd allowed Dom the same too, which I had wondered about as he'd been roaring around for a bit :)

Therefore, i thought i'd bin the 1k off, and get the 800 and down in

36-1.14-2.00-2.44-1.59-1.15-35   60secs after the 200 and 400, 90secs the rest

Wet and windy, so that'll do as a loosener back into things

Went and put the 1k in on an absolutely ludicrously windy country lane, that even with a slight down was probably only in the 5.45-5.50 pace mixer, but didn't take the actual split.

With the delays, chat with Dom and making up the overall distance to 8miles, I ust about got home with 10mins to get my 25 week lack of haircut into something decent for a zoom workcall and here we now are.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hope the race went well Simon. Look forward to the report.
    Sunday looks like a better day for a tailwind Reg - likely to cop a soaking either day :( 
    Decent return to the track SG & a solid tempo Thursday.
    3rd day of trail HMs here after an 8M Tuesday. Pace was sharper than usual but felt like hard work as legs were stiff from two 5:xx hr drives Sunday & Monday + no run Monday so I was pleasantly surprised when setting out on Wednesday as I was quicker for less effort to 4K (on the same DH route). Continued to go well but didn't force anything early doors as wanted to finish quickly & I was aware that shortly after 5M the route climbs savagely for just over a mile, goes DH for a mile but then climbs again for 3 before dropping gently for a mile then rises 100' over half a mile & then drops back down for the final mile. 1st half = 52 mins; 2nd half in 50 mins :)  
    After procrastinating til half 7 yesterday evening I repeated Wednesday's route wanting to do at least 10 but ideally wanted to repeat the 13.3. I'd given myself the option of taking the 4K turn for the 8M option but started really well & so did the full thing. 1st half in 50 mins; 2nd half in 48 mins B)
    Not wanting to race myself again I chose a different route today. It climbs 530' steadily in the first 5K, undulates for 2K then drops for 5K before gradually climbing over the next 4K then a savage 320' climb in under a mile then DH to the finish. Pleased to keep the HR average at MAF while pace averaged MP+20% in spite of almost 1000' of climbing.
    Bring on the racing: Cheshire 10K on September 27th & IoW marathon on October 4th.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of climbs! We'd expect nuttin less!

Couple of decent race turnouts there coming.

Anyone seen this Kew 10k?
    Seems a bit mad. Up to 7,000 people, across 2 days, and their idea of distancing is setting off a few every...two seconds.

Not quite sure how that fits the rulebook, but glad i'm not in the mixer!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Another decent turnout at (not)parkrun today: 19:52 on my home course in spite of a poor night's sleep & the recent rainfall making the muddy trails just that little bit slippery in road shoes. That's my quickest time out of 24 attempts on the FoD course since December 2017, a dozen of which have been solo efforts since Lockdown. wu & cd made it almost 11M for the day
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Has to be a good sign Jools.

After last week's adventure i kept a safe road route for an exact 15. 7.09 or so job to round a 60mile week off.

One week and one day more on furlough then although it'll be likely to be wfh for the foreseeable will have to weigh up re introducing doubles
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Decent LR pace SG.
    I finished my progressive 20M LR with 5M in 35:40 so about the same but I'd started with 5M in 40:50. First proper LR in a while so happy with a 7:34 average along a canal towpath.
    78.9M in the last 6 days so legs are looking forward to a recovery run tomorrow.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah - they get more decent when you cut out loads of offroad and hills - i keep telling you people :D 

A 20 progressively sounds like it'll need a nice sleep and refuel to say the least

I saw they've changed the Severnbridge 10k from starting in Wales to starting in England. Interesting statement about it, refusing to get drawn on any reasoning. So something interesting has happened behind the scenes there.
  • Come on Reg - waiting for the mega ride!
    SG nice session. I hate how difficult to access tracks are in this country. They’re not exactly easy wearing. I remember coaching a rugby tour to Singapore. The boys played a match in the middle of a track, in a residential tower block area. By 7pm, the track was rammed with walkers and joggers - maybe 8m/m the fastest on show. All free great to see. 

Having not done much in the way of quality this week, I wanted to combine a long run and a session. So the plan was 2h30 total, with 24, 18, 12, 6, 3 mins (3 min jogs), from MP to 5k effort. 
    Up at 5 and out in five or six minutes. Jogged 3.5M to the park, deciding on flat tarmac loops of the lake - might as well get ready for Dorney. However, on starting from home, the outside (or even internal) of my left lower leg was sore. If I’m honest, it’s been a little sore for a couple of weeks, but thought nothing to worry about. 
    The session itself was good, although the Apple Watch GPS and trees absolutely robbed me. Had me at something like 8:35 average for hard running. Suitable effort definitely there. I like the descending style session - after the first two, you feel like you are nearly there and can let rip. A really fun session. 
    Then met two mates for an extended yet easy effort run home. My left calf started tightening and I felt very tired. Extremely rare that I would take the option of stopping on a run if a taxi was offered, but this was one. 
    After 2h15 and about half a mile from home, I had to stop. Once stationary, there was zero chance of running again so enjoyed a walk of shame home. 
    Very sore since, although the calf muscle itself has chilled out a bit. Limping lots and struggled to push the buggy 😱. Have done the nhs physio referral, but who knows when that will be. Will fork out for a private session tomorrow - first one in years. I hate spending money like this. But if it’s going to affect my ability to pick up the baby, then I need to get a diagnosis. 
    Genuinely useful advice on Strava suggests peroneal Tendinopathy/ fibularis.