Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Excellent racing Wool Pete. I did a Sri Chinmoy 10K in BP a few years ago. Really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. I ran 39:09 having cycled 20K to get there. It was a Sunday so I'd raced Valentine's ParkRun the day before too :D 
    I'd initially planned to do another 20M today but after yesterday's race I decided that was probably a bit foolhardy so set out on an out & back along the Wye. Did 21.5K at 7:51 in the end. I was going along around 8mM til 11M then threw in 8x200m hard off 90s which brought the average down nicely.
  • Good weekend outings for Wool, Pete and SG. Can't call them races though: races are head to head, shoulder to shoulder and these are staggered time trials pretty much like cyclists up and down the country have been doing for years during the long summer evenings and cold Sunday mornings. 

I had supposed, like SG, that the 5k would be for hares but the results show a few tortoises as well. Can't fathom that out at all. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    PMJ; I know what you mean, but we have to adapt to the new circumstances and how 'real' it feels depends on how it is organised. SG's sounded very much a solo TT (and with F3's inept course measurement to boot!). Mine and Wool's was much more like a race.  In ours there were probably about 50 runners a minute set off and split into 2 waves by expected finish time, so Wave 1 was mostly decent runners generally lined up broadly by ability (except Wool being way too far back, but that was my fault keeping him chatting too long ;) ). As such there always felt like plenty of similar standard around.

In most pre-Covid races I knew hardly any of the people around me or their gun v chip starts, so its not like you are actually 'racing' specific individuals anyway. I've done a couple of club handicaps since lock-down ended and this felt very different to those, which really are largely solo TT efforts or at most groups of 2 or 3. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Phil - i think you often get the opposite at F3 events - the newer, less confident runners do the shorter race, as they're building up.
    This time was an incredible standard for F3!! 3 under 15.40?! And a lowish 18 not even top 10. I'm sure 18s usually get either a win or top 2-3 here.

I'll deffo count it as a race. My 260th! But i hope other formats feels more like one as per Pete n Wools.
  • SG, I can understand the top end so if you have been training throughout the summer and are running well you definitely need to get a marker up on the board somewhere so it isn't unexpected that a few real fast guys will turn up: pity the course measurement was bad but everyone said to give F3 events a wide margin and they lived up to expectation.

Pete: I don't think it necessary to know anyone to race them. I have been in races when it was very much head to head and we both knew each other. My 10k PB was when I was ahead of a club rival and as I came towards the finish line all I could hear was "Come on Pete" and I just looked ahead and pushed towards the line and went sub-34 for the first and last time. I have also been in races when I had no clue who I was racing but something inside just clicks and you refuse to be passed. I admit my male ego is fragile and I have finished quite a few races just ahead of the leading lady.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    That's my point Philip; this felt just like a race as there are plenty of people around you of similar pace who you are trying to beat. The fact you don't know them or whether they started a min before or after you is incidental to that race feeling. It is not really any different from a 'real race where gun v chip can vary a fair bit from.runner to runner 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Parkrun aiming to restart end of October then.

Seems a bit presumptuous, unless all racing is fine by then.
    Can't exactly hold waves unless you scrap then times side of things, or people are happy coming in with their little starting time handicap added etc.

However, with a few races opening up, albeit waves, or gangs of 6-10, at least we're moving back the right way.

6&4 today

Will aim for the 16x200 at 1500 pace sesh tomorrow off 1min.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Parkrun ? Thats a surprise as any number can turn up at the mo, although i guess they have to have some sort of strategy to be allowed back i guess.......i hope the serious folks dont see it as a racing opportunity and leave it for the C25k crowd ( and PMJs tortoises), the last thing those folks need in thrit quest to get a bit healthier is runners in singlets and carbon shoes trying to race it.
  •  https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2020/09/07/return-of-parkrun-announcement/?fbclid=IwAR3CR0-hW3z9q6DhRuBjXhdJp2o6AfWugDZcj-OR0WdKlfIJN6NQAputbZk

Not sure what to think! Nothing definite and things are changing all the time, not least with increases in the virus. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    The parkrun announcement looks very ambitious to me. I could put a blog out saying that I intend to do all number of things by the end of Oct but with no viable plan they’d all be daft. Having seen what it took to get the event on at Battersea, I don’t quite know what parkrun are thinking. 

6 easy today. Not firing on all cylinders after yesterday but that’s ok.

Together with a couple of other Dashers I have a spot in the next MK 5k in late Sep. I guess there’s a real possibility that I’ll finish last in the slowest group but will look to get ready for that over the next couple of weeks.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

See you there Wool! I entered again last night in the pub! Wasn't going to, but a few pints encouraged me to finish the Race-TT-Race trilogy off on that course!

Good racing Jools, Wool, Pete and SG. Nice to be out there again isn't it. The 5K still felt like a race to me.

So Saturday had another crack at the MK 5K - with music too this time. Bit of traffic at the start, but felt a little better and ended up with 16.43 on the watch. Reasonably happy as i've done two hard sessions in the week. Race time last time was 6 seconds quicker than the Garmin, so hopefully in the 16.30's next time.

Sunday, 16.2 miles out to watch the kid play cricket. Felt pretty good. 6.49's I think. 12/13 miles today with the rucksack.

• PeteM said:
    That's my point Philip; this felt just like a race as there are plenty of people around you of similar pace who you are trying to beat. The fact you don't know them or whether they started a min before or after you is incidental to that race feeling. It is not really any different from a 'real race where gun v chip can vary a fair bit from.runner to runner 
    I'll allow you with that caveat "felt just like a race as there are plenty of people around you of similar pace". Yes, with proper races with mass starts you will get some variation in gun vs chip times but at the level and the races we are running in it is a handful of seconds. So, e.g. if I look at Wokingham Half your chip is 17 seconds after the gun and the guy ahead of you is identical and the guy behind you has a 10 second difference so probably started a bit too far forward. I find it really hard when there is someone around you who has a different pace, so it is easy in a lapped race to see someone ahead and be content to close in and pass them but if they are a lap down then they are way slower than you and you shouldn't be making your efforts based on their running.

This is very noticeable in the hour track race: I did a few when younger and my best was just over 17k (so 42.5 laps) and I was lapped a few times by the eventual winner (sub 30 10k guy) but also lapped many other many times. Need to concentrate on times.
  • The more I read about the parkrun plans the more confused I am getting.

When this pandemic started a lot of people made big mistakes as nobody understood it nor was prepared for it. About 140 thousand people did parkrun on March 14th and that was well into the big spread stage. OK, so everyone made mistakes and we put that down to learning and promise not to do so again.

Now we are hopefully getting towards the other end but we still have people dying and catching the virus so we are not yet clear. You can now do one of three things: 
    1. Act over cautiously
    2. Act perfectly right
    3. Act under cautiously
    Given that perfect behaviour is impossible you are left with being over or under cautious. Most businesses are now being overly cautious so e.g. we are saying nobody should go back to the office unless they want to and if they do so then it is 20% occupancy and it is bubbles with people in Mon/Tue or Thu/Fri and cleaning on Wed. parkrun have commissioned a report about the chance of contracting the virus outside and the conclusion is that parkun is fine (everyone outside and separate) but a football match is not (bars, concourses). I totally understand that and I agree with the science but the interpretation is wrong. It is clearly less risky to go to parkrun on Wycombe Rye than it is to go to Man U vs Liverpool at Old Trafford but it is also clear that the risk is non zero. 

If they have parrkun in late October then the risk will still be non-zero. It will probably be lower than many day to day activities such as children at school, shopping in a supermarket etc but as soon as they stand up and stick their head up above the parapet they are going to get shot. 

I like to parkrun, I like to meet up with my parkrun friends on a Saturday morning but I'll go without for as long as it takes to fix the bigger problem. I can still run 5k on a Saturday so it is not about physical well being and they are playing the mental health card and I see that but there are a million ways to help people with mental health that do not involve 500 people gathering in a park.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stop trying to spoil our races, now you're not a racer Phil ;)
    It's all we have right now, so we're making the best of it :)

Right on the parkruns though.
    Although coming back from the track today, I couldn't help but notice that my old school had gangs of 15-20 kids all super close knit! You wouldn't think there's been a massive "keep your distance" message for months at all.

In that context, parkruns can't be much more risk as long as they keep the real "risk" point of the start more spread out than normal.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Track this morning then, 16x200 off 60sec

For such reps I only take the header of the split, no rounding up or down messing about, as strava just shows the leading second.
    Always done it this way, so best to keep doing so.

Anyway

13x34, 3x35, so pleased with that, as that's pretty much what i've ever done for the 16x session.
    (12 would aim for 33 - which gives licence for 90sec recovery, but ive only ever used 60)

Felt decent, and not particularly trying to smash it.
    Bizarrely, the one I thought I was ending "hard" was the last one and that came out 35! I blame messing with songs on the ipod though :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Wool, there were 22-23min people in that first MK race, so you certainly won't even be in the "slow" race, let alone anywhere near the back.
    Stop stealing my "Play things down" approach :D 
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I did wonder Simon - hopefully I'll get a pass and be able to hang around and watch the elites race  :) Interesting that I had also had a couple of beers when I entered and was feeling quite gung-ho!

Chrissie Wellington was on the radio this morning talking about parkrun return. I just don't get it - all huddled together on the start line at Black Park?! Not for me, thanks.

That's an ambitious session SG, coming so soon after a race and all that. Nice work in getting it done.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Legs didn't feel totally mint - but then they often don't until you get going.
    I did reduce Sunday's long to 12, but then again did do my double at 6pm last night when i used to be a morning-lunch type. So all a balancing act!

Trying to fit to the 5k plan I've used to success before.

First session officially is 8x600, 2x400, 2x200, which I'd close enough covered off in Marlow with 6x800 instead of the first bit
    12x400 I did last week.

So 16x200 today, aiming for sharper ones for a 12x200 on Friday, then move on from there.

Slot 3-4 5ks in as soon as poss late Sep on, and be glad we do have some sort of "Summer season", albeit in autumn!!
  • Wool said:

Chrissie Wellington was on the radio this morning talking about parkrun return. I just don't get it - all huddled together on the start line at Black Park?! Not for me, thanks.
    It's all about balancing risks but it is very hard to convey these correctly to the general public.

When the schools went back partially earlier this year there was a headline saying if they waited 2 weeks the risk would be halved. That sounds sort of fair comment until you read the full paper and not the headline. The paper said that in 2 weeks the risk would be lower than the background risk (so e.g. am an 11-year-old child going 2 to 3 miles to school stands a certain chance of dying due to a road traffic accident etc) and the immediate risk was twice that: so twice the background risk versus the background risk. So, yes, the headline is true and the risk would be halved but an 11-year-old child does way more risky things each day and nobody worries because the absolute risk is low.

It is all the same with parkrun. The absolute risk is low but it is not zero. Lining up with 500 people (self-identified as fit enough to run 5k and not have the virus) in Black Park at 9 am on a Saturday is way safer than spending 30 minutes inside Asda with people who have to do their weekly shop if they want to eat but if someone catches COVID in Asda it will not make the headlines but if the same happens at parkrun brown stuff and spinny thing.

• True, true and risk, particularly statistical likelihood is a funny old business for sure!  There is definitely a strange dichotomy between how the public act as individuals and our expectations of how society should act, especially in a litigious business context!

In the meantime, while working at home means I still get to run in the evening before its dark, or squeeze in a post work walk with my daughter it aint all bad!  Might chnage my mind when the clocks go back!

Wycombe Rye parkrun is probably the only one where the entire field could safely social distance on the start line!

Double day today, in a return to summer. Same old stuff though :smile:
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cognitive dissonance seems to have Nick Pearson in it's grip.

Seems to have taken the expression that people were dying to get back to parkrun literally.

🙂

• Might do a Parkrun when they start again. There will never be zero risk from now on, just the way it is. My other half is a teacher, so if her parents come over we'll go for a walk rather than come in the house - people don't need to be in each others houses all the time, plus all the tech we have now to keep in touch. Its about being sensible.

12 x 400 over the track tonight off 60. Averaged about 70 we think, my Garmin is over egging it a bit again.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    I'm with Simon on this one. If pr comes back you would think they were reasonably confident of it's safety. You/they don't have to take unnecessary risks either. No need for briefings, scanners etc. and the start can be staggered pretty easily.

Noticeable that most on here (bar Phil accepted) that are anti the resumption rarely run them anyway. I'll reserve judgement to see how they do it and what the situatuon is come end Oct, but think it is commendable they plan to return.

Just one counter to Wool's post. It was not really a 'we plan to back but we don't know how' scenario. They spent ages on surveying runners attitudes and defining principles and protocols necessary for a resumption and published these a couple of weeks ago. You may not agree with them and it's of course your prerogative not to (and I don't agree with all of it myself). What it wasn't though was just a random claim to be back with no plan as to how.  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon what's the confusion you have on the track?😄
    Do your rep, press the button on the finish line. Being track it'll come out slightly long in distance 👍.

Looks like the gov are clamping down again. Groups of 6 banned from Monday with a few exceptions.
    "Sport teams" in covid secure environment being one.

Let's hope that includes run club meets and these races we've started doing.
    If not, parkruns timing is even more unfortunate.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Do you have a link to those protocols Pete? Would be interested to read them. Perhaps I shouldn't have made that statement but in my eyes an announcement about a return would have been better accompanied with at least a summary of some of the changes that they were considering making.

Some of my perspective is certainly influenced by the debate over on Fetch where there are a quite a few Event Directors feeling a little unclear of the way forward. Dropping timing seems to be a way of reducing a lot of issues, I wonder if that'll put folks off from going? My initial thoughts were no timing, no point in going but I've quickly softened. If there was some kind of set up that grouped similarly timed runners in to waves and then we relied on self-timing then why not? Maybe with some kind of self-reported attendance to appease the milestone chasers? That'd help with track and trace too.

Where I'd got to in my own mind and without reading the guidance is that I'd be comfortable to go to somewhere like Upton with it's nice wide starting area, crowd of 150-200 but there's no way that I'd go to Black Park, that crowded starting area would be too much for me to feel comfortable. Same way I wouldn't go to a football match with the crowds right now. 

Phil - I shouldn't get in to a debate as I don't have the energy to invest in the way that I know you would, but....my approach is that risk is inherent in anything we do. I'm willing to put my family at increasing risk levels where the benefit outweighs the risk in my own assessment. So, there's risk in my 11 year old going to school in many ways but there's a benefit that I think incentivizes him going. I'm coming in to our massive office with large spaces and catalog of rules. I'll go to the corner shop in a mask. I felt that I had to go to Asda to do the weekly shop when there were no delivery slots. But, I don't feel compelled to go to a crowded parkrun, a football match, the pub, get on a plane to an idyllic holiday destination and so I won't be doing any of those as much as I am missing them :-(

Actually, I've not been to Asda for decades  B)
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Here you go Wool, link below; enjoy the read and you'll see it would have been a bit much to try and convey all of this in their "we're coming back" message. You're right they could have at least mentioned it and given the web reference  for people who wanted the detail.

https://volunteer.parkrun.com/principles/open-with-covid-19-management-system

Personally the bit I don't like most is the course changing by up to 500m longer. If they don't even try to stick to 5k it makes a mockery of times and Po10 status (but maybe, as SG and others think, it is about time that was stopped anyway). I also think the tokens maybe aren't essential and the protocols are generally a bit presumptive about the availability of volunteers (based on these you would need about 30 volunteer scanners alone at Bushy!).  

I agree with you official timings shouldn't stop parkrun; personally where feasible I would go for 3 or 4 starts 5 mins apart with a different finish funnel for each and trust people to finish in the right funnel. Bushy already functioned well with several funnels. However volunteer numbers may preclude this and I would be happy to let the RD at the different courses sort out what suits them best. Also agree with you on all your risk v benefits views, including trying to find the safer looking parkruns while the virus is around.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I guess if Parkrun can put a plan in for a location then it should be allowed, same as Goodwood, dorney etc parks can be safe as well as motor ccts.

Hopefully this new announcement is all about giving police power to break up gatherings and we'll still be able to race with the relevant plans in place.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    thanks Pete - quite a lot of detail there as you say but an easy read, credit to them for that. 500m long sounds like an F3 event, surely to be avoided! 

I noticed that there is a requirement to request participants to line up in notional finish order. I've seen a lot of debate on that in the past, I expect that could give some heartache to the PB-chasing 30 minute runner. 

Remove timing, ask participants to loosely cluster in 5 min finish groups, set off those groups in waves with a decent gap in between them. That'd be a more extreme version of what's outlined. For now it feels all pretty normal in what they've outlined, tbh.
  • Following the negative effects of covid-19 on economies around the world on other families .. A microcredit in partnership with the major banks of Europe grant loans to people economically affected by this epidemic which has lasted for months .....
    These credits are granted to everyone for an interest rate of 2.6% for a period ranging from 1 to 5 years depending on your income ... it is a program to relieve the whole world following this tragedy. .....
    This personal loan does not require proof of the destination of the funds: you are free to use the borrowed amount to renovate, furnish or equip your home, pay for your wedding or deal with one of your projects, not destroying the pandemic. ..
    • The borrower obtains a definitive answer within 24 hours * after receipt of the document.
    • After acceptance of the file and compliance with the legal withdrawal period (14 days), the amount of consumer credit can be paid within a few days to the applicant's bank account.
    • Unlock the amount you need to finance your projects. We just want people who are honest and can pay off the debt on time without going to court ....
    For any information and to benefit from the registration form,
    Please contact us by email address.

Banquepostal236@gmail.com
  • SG - Lots of discussion at the moment as to whether the track is concrete from lane 1 or lane 2 etc. The issue is that my mate Pete I ran with was getting 75's and I was getting 72's but easily 5 secs ahead of him.

Still bloody horrible sesh either way!