Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Had a look expecting some inevitable super fast run.
    But that was a surprise!

Presume he's long emigrated then? Although I had to enlarge the map to see where - thought it was somewhere in Russia from those names ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Slightly less impressive 4.5miler from me today. Mid 7s, including the usual wood first half. Hard surface now, so probably could have got away with road shoes, but good to mix it up.

Papers are seemingly talking about May for thinks getting back to tier 2, yet March for schools and some exercise loosening.
    Presumably that may just be "unlimited" exercise back for individuals at least. but doesn't sound promising for any sort of turnouts being on offer.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Richmond mara weekend was  holding the olympic trials on the friday, with the masses racing sat and sun at end of March. The olympic trial is still as per, the masses have been moved to mid may, when they think they have a chance.......mk mara say they thunk they'll be on at start of May if they are Tier 1 or 2........so we could be heading back to Tiers and their associated travel restrictions......maybe that's why they arnt saying you can book a uk holiday yet?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The R rate seems to be the lowest since July or so, so it's all going the right way.
    But probably makes good sense to be over cautious and make sure this is the last lockdown and that once it's opened up it stays open for good.

All down to the bods thrashing out exactly what level of the population needs to be vaccinated first. I'd hoped it was the top 4 groups and would open up then, but seems to be the 50+ gang as well.

ps Bus, 5.51 first mile for Fabian on that 60+ miler?! That's mad.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Probably felt quite slow for him!   The 11,000 ft of climbing slowed him up a bit though :smiley:

Going to go and have a quiet scream somewhere later. On top of all the other shit going on, tech has decided to rebel!

In the past  fortnight our washing machine has sprung a leak (broken pump!), the dishwasher has stopped emptying (suspected broken pump), my replacement earbuds won't play pair for more than 20 minutes at a time (suspected shiteness), our shower has started feezing you than scolding you in turn (suspected PCB fault), the boiler has begun making a noise like its about to die, the car has a suspected blown head gasket and our broadband has halved in speed!!!!!!!

I mean, FFS!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Unlucky Bus. That's one heck of a combination!

Thought still dealing with insurance 6months after a hidden leak, a "corrupt" phone, and  a minor frustration of ifollow (for Wycombe games) often being crap, was plenty!

Ho hum.
  • SG that is a quality race recap. Proper Cotswold country bumpkin territory. Well done keeping the win!

Yes - the 10k massive hill job is the one I have done. Good race now in fairness. Random 5k before. Also a kids 1k. Made my 2year old do it in the rain. Hated so much we sat in the cafe and missed her mum running the real thing 😆. 

Enjoyed your other highlights. Got me fired up!

Will have to try those NB, SC. What kind of runs do you use them each for?

Chilled out buggy recovery on the classic route this morn. 7M at 8:28 pace. I never get cold on runs, but continued waking for twenty mins post run whilst the lad slept on. Absolutely frozen by the end. Utterly dis-functional hands. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Poor kid having to see out a race for obsessional parents ;)

14 today. Threw in a run up a hill I think I've only ever once run up, probably for a strava rep, but have never done it continuously as part of a route, and then up and on.

Bit of a killer hill to be honest, I definitely don't have any power up hills these days, if I ever did! Though there's no incentive to work hard on a mere training run.

Up to Asda, and the always enjoyable little motorway underpass leading to a field with a bit a climb, and then down to Marlow Bottom. Long old trudge down - is a really suck it up type run the other direction for sure!

Thought i'd go up the proper Winchbottom route today, then take a footpath to fuse with the bit I've been messing with recently, to much boring on effect :)

Up one footpath, only to see loads of "no right of way" signs, and a thin blue bit of string blocking ongoing. Will have to check with Big Phil what's going on there, but I bottled it and came back down, and decided to go on and up a climb into the woods later.

A climb that's an absolute animal. Must be a couple of hundred feet, over not that long a distance. Midway I decided it was one of those hills you wouldn't dribble up any quicker than you'd walk, so took a 30sec or so walk.

Back running, and inevitably I ended up at the wrong field, but after another short break looking around I quickly traipsed on, and this time emerging at a crossroads in the woods, I took the left hand turning, and quickly got to the right field :)

Good thing, as I was getting a bit leggy by then, so was pleased to find it, get across the field, stop a couple of times on the thin path caked in bushes to let cars fire past at 60, and then eventually lovely 1mile down woods to finish.

14miler, 7.30s or so. Probably about 1min 50 stopped off the clock, but a couple of "directional re-assessments", killer hill walk, and few seconds at a number of gates/headfone untangling all add up.

Feels like I've said this for weeks, but I really need to do a road only longun soon :)
  • AQ - it's all right when they are 2, as they've not yet learnt how to phone Childline 😉

SG - always amazes me how you keep the pace so fast even when pissing about losing yourself on off-road hills!

Did a quick 5k filler yesterday which allowed me to do a lower and of the LSR length at 13.1M and still hit 50M for the first time in a few weeks.  

Hilly run with 1900ft ending an equally hilly week of 6,500ft, mostly comprising of rutted, frozen mud! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    It certainly doesn't feel fast Bus.
    On the two steep climbs it was probably in the 9-10s at best!

And even 8s I have to remind myself it's offroad, not smooth etc and that I'm not massively unfit/on the way down, it's the route :D  

At the moment though, with no races on the agenda, I think these runs with half offroad, different routes are a new sense of motivation. I dare say when there's anything approaching normality again I'd be keener to do my longer runs on smooth, not necessarily flat, but smooth pavement in the lower end of the 7s.

1,000+ feet for a rare time for me certainly feels plenty, don't know how you guys find enjoyment doing almost double.

• Periodisation of a different sort SG. Off-road and hills are great for building strength that lasts, whereas you can get your leg turnover speed back relatively quickly  when races are back. I bet you'll find this variety will pay dividends later in the year.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Let's hope there's a chance to find out.

Media leaks can't seem to work out if restrictions will "start" to ease from May or whether it'll be all open by then.

Seems like the best we can hope for is at least outdoor exercise restrictions being eased at the same time as Schools early March.
    Whether that just means no limit individually, can run in gangs of 6, or back to club training, who knows!
  • Who knows indeed.  I'm desperate for some time away and have to take leave before the end of March, which looks increasingly like being at home!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Another bleak morning :D 

Added a different bit today, up the little climb opposite the restaurant on the climb to Holtspur, and what I had "remembered" as a right hand turn and bit of a climb to Holtspur.

What it panned out as, after the climb, flattening and dip, was a right hand turn onto a flat trailly type spell for ages, a left hand road that seemed to go on ages, and THEN the actual right hand turn climb I'd "remembered" :)

All in, a decent 9, and 7.20 average. Probably a little unnecessarily hyped up by a little spell we've all had, where you're approaching someone, they're going just that little faster than you'd like, and to avoid one of those awkward, overtake but only slightly, as if you're racing, i eased up a slight gear and put a bit of room in, without overdoing it.

No-one wants to be semi-racing at 7.10 or so pace on a long road stretch on a Monday morning :)
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    😆 Bus, I’ll remember that! Big climbing from you. 
    Great to see further long run wanderings, SG. I too enjoy/find awkward the approach and overtake. Even better with a buggy 😆. 

A good week 11/12 of the plan: 61M with 5 x 1k on Friday (6:11 down to 6:04) pace then 13.4M buggy on Sunday at 7:21 pace. Genuinely wonder if, with the right route and favourable conditions, I could push my way to a sub 90 half. 
    Easy week ahead before having a crack at a 5k at some point Friday - Sunday. Super windy the whole time, c’est la vie. 
    5M buggy soft surface recovery today. 8:40s. First spot of t shirt weather for a good while. 
  • Edit: sub 90 buggy!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Was gonna say SW, you'll smash a sub 90 this far into your recovery! Sub 90 with a buggy a much bigger challenge!

Mad scramble this morning as my nano screen could barely be read, but could at least scroll through songs to navigate. Don't remember it getting wet yesterday as such. But must have.

Literally as I was outside, it went totally white screen and couldn't scroll songs either. Doh.

Risked the phone, a fairly poor smart phone, which has been telling me it's "corrupt" for months now, won't let me pen on RW on there as I can't sign in (some token issue), and has minimal memory anyway.

Anyway...off I set for a "steady" type effort, zone between easy and the "mp" zone I use, so licence between 6.20 and 6.50 really, but I'd forgotten how the screen is SOOO sensitive any little brush disrupts the music :o 

Started raining, and I couldn't get back in on the move, so against the plan stopped dead after 3miles - counting that as a warm up.

Rain then started going ape, and had to stop another couple of times, to dry the screen and my fingers (on my pants!), painstakingly key password and get back in, before finally rucking it off and going music-less - like you "proper" runners ;)

The steady 6miles came out nicely midrange, 6.35. Certainly not a doss near the end, but never overly pushed. At times was ticking over 6.15 ok. One mad time said 7.15 for a good few seconds then decided it was actually 6.15

So one of those runs really...

Boiler has gone a bit tits up, so with no airing cupboard, the phone and ipod (which I'd actually replaced with the one I totally killed in that icy plunge that time !) are on a flannel on a plug in heater....so I'm competing with Bus's world of tech pain now!

But first call this morn is CEX.com, to see if I can pick up some substitutes on the relative cheap.

While hoping one or both of the forementioned pieces come back to life!
  • I believe you can still get things like the Sansa clip MP3 player cheap as chips. I had one and it was great - tiny and clips on to your waistband....

8M road for me tis morning.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    One nano and one shuffle ordered :)

Phone screen is back...but touchscreen to enter password numbers very hit and miss to even sign in - fingers crossed that comes back to life. Am hopeful as the screen is ok, but you can see the water marks :o 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Was on the very limit of timescales to get out and back in time for work today, but another 9miler done.

Road for about 4miles, then a muddy/trailly bit opposite Wooburn park, before a very slow slink up a very narrow woody little path, ducking and shimmying through little trees, before it settled as about a 800m climb up an utterly splodgefest ploughed field job. Over a stile, and then a nice slight down. Equally splodgy perhaps half a mile on car track/mud mixed mess, and then the glory of being back on road, in Flackwell, and all flat and down from there :)

7.28 all in.

Had a look at a couple of segs nearby in the middle, one has someone holding 5.57 for a steeper version up a grassy bank of what I did today.

That's going some, as it's pretty steep for a quarter of a mile.
    Clearly did it in hard baked summer months!
  • Evening chaps.
    Good luck with drying out your electronics SG.
    Ticking along this week with 9.6, 9.1 & 8.5 miles after over 84M & 7,500’ last week.
    Only run of note since my last posting was Sunday’s 11M which included our club’s latest challenge: 5M progression, each mile (at least) 30s quicker than the previous one. Points for fastest time, penalties for each second over 30s, bonus for biggest difference between miles 4 & 5. I was 3rd quickest but lost places due to the time bonus. I was only 34s quicker due to sub-optimal route choice. One chap put in a 4:38 final mile which is impressive even with the 320’ drop.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's an interesting one Jools.
    You can decide how hard or easy to make it for yourself.

That downhill mile sounds like something mad Dom would do.

He'll do a 5k with 500 feet down and some of the fun run generation would be all, wow, you broke 17 you're amazing. But in fairness he knows, and we all know!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    8.5 today. standard.
    Ipod recovered, before the new ones arrive, so that's one of those "First world problem" issues sorted!

Will have to work out some sort of quality sesh tomorrow.
  • That’s good news at least SG.
    I did 8.5 today too. Same route as yesterday & after an easy start I put a steadier effort in after a mile & a half to improve a 1K segment time (8s PR) then relaxed back to easy for about 2:30 then picked up the pace on a 630m DH segment. I’d already got 4th back at the start of January but after 100m I noticed my pace was slightly better than that effort so I floored it. Took 13s off & moved up to 2nd place. After that I was warmed up, flowing well & enjoying the sunshine so maintained a steady effort on the Ups, recovered on the Downs. 900’ & averaged 7:39. Best run of the week so far & definitely the best weather.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice un Jools.
    Have a 9am meet tomorrow, so I'm going to use that as reason to do a seg smashfest instead of track.

Have two sets in mind, different sides of town, so we'll see how these pan out :)

• All road stuff for me this week to avoid the mud. Lot's of 8ish as well  seems to be the thing for everyone currently :smiley: Guess its' cos it works out around an hour. Trying to keep the climbing up but not as easy on the road.  Tries a new route tonight out of boredom, but won't be rushing back as although there weren't many cars, those that there were came out of nowhere at stoopid speeds!

Washing machine and dishwasher are now working again (but don't get me started of the fookin broadband!). Ina  way, it was worth the £60 call out for the dishwasher for the guy to remove the pump and find it choked with food, as for years I've been told I'm making a fuss when I repeatedly ask the peeps in my house to scrape the crap off their plates before they randomly chuck them in the general direction of the inside of the dishwasher!!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    You tell em Bus ;)

8MB ipod today then, as a new entry into my stable of rotating ipods. Superbly fits all 900songs, and podcasts in, and has space. It's like I'm a flash kid from the year 2000 :D 

Seg fartlek type jobby then.

3 segs out one end of the town. One 200m and two 400m. My word these felt a real shock to the system having not done that intensity for ages. Especially off only 1.5m run there and no strides.

200 needed sub 5.15 or so, so fairly comfy, the two 400s needed a bit more work, sub 5 and sub 4.45 I think, depending on direction. Slight climb both directions somehow!

Smashed the 200, took the "slower" 400 down to 4.40, and somehow bungled the route on the other one, managing to register 2mins20 :D 

Off to one of Wycombe's "plush" areas in Micklefield, optimistically tried this 0.10m 35feet climb, that some guy has at an insane 4.24 pace.... I mean, behave. I'm sure this frail looking guy only has about 1hr 35 half or something.
    4.24 up a 35feet climb would take some keeness I think.

5.15 or so for me, and 4th place. That'll do.

Another one in this area, a 1/3rd mile slight down, needing 5.10. Took that down to 4.59

Then freestyled where I thought a seg is, but having not checked deets. Turned out my low 5 was enough for 3rd, but needed 4.45 or so. One for another day.

Couple of rampages round a 0.18m loop both directions, on two segs I own anyway, to make it 8 efforts for the sesh at least.

44miles for the week, maybe a short one tomorrow, long un Sunday and that's another week.
  • Still cables though SG? Can't be doing with that. My second pair of the Yineme headphones are playing ball for a change now at least. Steady running week this week had a bit of a sniffle earlier in the week. The only person with a common cold in the UK ;)

SQ - The Propelv2 are my long run trainers. The upper not the plushest, but the Fuelcell is great, nice and bouncy. The Prisms were supposed to be lighter for 5-10 mile runs. I have got some NB Rebel for £70 and they are arriving tomorrow. will see if they can perform better than the Adios - very light and great reviews.

Have a good weekend all..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah always cables SC. On cold days they barely stay in at times, so I'd imagine if that's the case for wireless ones you simply lose them on the floor? Unless they morph to the contours of your ear or some of that gub.

I like to hold the ipod/shuffle so I can instantly turn the sound off on any dodgy roads etc. I see some runners with big phones strapped to their arms and barely looking going over roads etc and do wonder.
  • It's about finding ones that fit your ears with Bluetooth jobs SG. The Airpods imitations I use never fall out - plenty of other issues with them at the moment mind!  Took a fair few trials to find ones that stay in though!

Most have the ability to just double tap and they pause, so even easier than pausing on the phone/Nano.

Back on the mud today. My legs were like lead! Shame, as I needed 8 to get within striking distance of 50 with a day off tomorrow, but I could only scrape in at 7, so either need to run tomorrow or face a 15 in the rain on Sunday....