Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Depends how steep a downhill and how idiotically reckless you are Reg.

That cheese rolling event has people touching Usain Bolt level speed on that downhill.
    But then they often end up utterly smashed. The girl who won it one year ended up with a permanent clavicle injury. Not sure why they can't fix it, but that was one of the bits I took from that documentary on netflix.

Mad Dom locally is an animal on downhills. I saw he reached 4.20 or so on a half mile on a hill in Wycombe.
    Add more talent/steeper hill/even more recklessness (if possible), and you could definitely see sub 4.

He told me he'd love a go at that Murder Mile downhill. That feels dangerous trotting down it.
    The idea of him sprinting down it is worrying and intriguing in equal parts.

I did my 5mile virtual XC at 8.10....doubt yours will be slower.
    Not trying to put any speed in, and a 200feet 9.22mile to begin with, and the whole thing being around undulating muddy woods funnily enough wasn't the stuff of fast times.
  • Options
    I think running down a grassy bank after cheese is a bit trickier than running down a nice smooth road. I am more likely to tear a hamstring than break a bone :-)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    I think running down a grassy bank after cheese is a bit trickier than running down a nice smooth road. I am more likely to tear a hamstring than break a bone :-)
    Definitely, although some of them were more falling than running.
    But if they can put in world record sprint equalling paces, they can definitely find a mere sub 4 if it's steep enough!

Like the difference between olympic walking and running, they'd have to get the rulebook out on falling versus running down!
  • Options
    Hmm, cheese rolling up-ender monkeys...

Pleasant run at lunch today, other than my ear buds. Yes, wireless are great, but not when they seemingly develop ten new faults a day! Today's issue included randomly deciding to call people at work, insisting I had to listen the Radio 6 10.30 news (at 1pm!) rather than live radio and then, switching to music instead, restarting the song every 10 secs! Needless to say, 90% of the run was done without them in!!!

Good work on the solo TT SQ.

Another self-isolation day tomorrow as wife had a test today and back in hospital Thursday. Hey ho - one day off is no big deal I guess, just messes with my target!
  • Options
    1993 Murder Mile. 3:24, run by a lad who lives round the corner from me! Doubt he could do half a mile in that now. Record still stands I believe:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/maniacs-stand-out-a-mile-1251620.html

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Hope your right re CoViD Reg. At least you’re always bike fit which is the main thing in Tri.
    Excellent article Aley
    Thread get together idea for when racing resumes. Trio of miles: Islwyn’s Murder Mile, Meltham’s Maniac Mile & an Ealing Mile.
    Return of the classic Canal 5M at lunch with a colleague. 7:30 pace in a ferocious wind so left it at that for today
  • Options
    Ridiculously windy round the bypass today - can only imagine what it was like for you on an open canal, Jools.

Good to hear from you Reg. Hope you’re right, although not sure what my students would say about extrapolation 😆. Is the tri the one Jools has done? That looks savage/awesome, although not ideal when transition flooded. In fact I miss your stories Jools of sleeping in cars before races. Bring them back!

The final descent of the Snowdonia Marathon is ridiculously steep. It must be possible to very fast down it. Although the preceding 24.5M put a slight dent in that. 

More technical woes for Bus. Surely someone in your house is playing pranks on you?!

Buggy-free run at lunchtime today. So despite the aforementioned atrocious wind, headed out for the first session on the new plan: 12, 10, 10 mins at LT with 4 min jogs. Paces went from 6:20 - 6:40. I enjoy that kind of run, even though I wasn’t very fresh. All in 10M at 7:10 pace. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's easy to forget a lot of the race routine, but that night before sleep, or lack thereof is bad enough as it is. Without being bent double in a car :D 

I tried one of those Premier "zip" hotels around the 2019 Murder Mile. Basically £19 for a tiny room. Dreadful night's sleep. Though not sure how much of that was after having got lost in some random country park after the Murder Mile, as it got dark knowing they locked the gates, and then a 30min drive to it after...

Jools - no idea what that maniac mile is like, but even the Ealing mile feels hard when it's windy, and you have the "uphill" second half ;)
    That must have a climb in the...metres :D 

I fear I've set my best i'll ever get at that one, when I went over the line to the organiser proclaiming "4.59" and then quickly adding..."but that'll round up".
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SQ, sounds a nice bit of fun.

Got a half day tomorrow, so I'll play with some variant of a tempo or split in sections.
    Did 3x3miles at 6.11 a good few weeks back. Nothing like that for a while, so will see what I fancy when I get there tomorrow.
  • Options
    SQ, you should get your students to do a comparison of my 5 second fag packet assumption and the Imperial College model :-).  I did the Snowdon fell race which was a 10 mile straight up and down and the final downhill road section was absolutely burning my feet!

Jools, my bike fitness was always bolstered by commuting everyday so it's not what it was and certainly a long way from Fred Whitton fit!

We had a Zwift race last night which was pretty brutal. Standard is ridiculous now, I finished in 20th out of around 100, stayed with the front group of about 45 until the final uphill finish then it was every man for himself in a 1 minute uphill sprint. When there are guys listed at 55-65kgs it's hard to compete up a hill!

Post race is always fun, 8:45 and straight up to put children to bed with jelly legs. I tend to get a headache after these now.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Had a half day then, so headed over to Hurley for some sort of tempo.

Got there and it was pretty darn windy, unlike the very still day I got my 3x3mile off very well.

So it was Dorney Lake esque one direction very windy, one direction still.

Therefore, I decided to split the session into a 4mile HMP +15/20sec job, 2mins or so, and then 12x1min hard off 60secs.

4mile still came out on par averaging 6.13, but it would have been a world of pain slogging too much more on that today.

So i was happy to switch to the more mentally uplifting 1min hard bits. Not going wild, and on post tempo section legs, but just out a decent effort in.
    Looking back now, 10 of them were at 5.33 pace, one at 5.16 pace and one at 5.53 pace, probably the slight up one.

Decent session, 10.5miles in, and just gearing back into proper sessions with the potential of races in 5-6 weeks.
  • Options
    I would never think of Hurley as a destination for a run!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice run from Marlow that way and along.
    But it's a decent flat loop of good length.

Wind negates that a bit though, but there is the high street and a camp site that are also decent alternatives right next to it.
  • Options
    I get the run from Marlow through Bisham, done that myself but just didn't think Hurley was big enough to run around. There's a great footpath (steep) directly opposite the end of the High St on the other side of the Henley road if you fancy a Strava hill climb attempt! 

https://www.strava.com/segments/23586769

I am 18th and I think I was right at the top a few year back so it has become a popular target!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I did notice that footpath sign when I was finishing one of the 1min sections, and wondered where it went.

Not for long mind, as there's a couple of other footpaths from the housing estate (if i can it that in plush Hurley?) that seem to go nowhere! But maybe one for a lazy summer run from Marlow one day.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    England Athletics review looks very good reading.

Reads pretty clearly that distanced races can re-start March 29th.
    Just depends on the "minimise travel" bit.

Then 17th March allowing bigger scale events, with no travel restriction, with spectators. But presumably still distanced/covid secure?

Then a free for all June 21st.
    (*if numbers keep dropping etc)

Athletics and Running Roadmap
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    The minimise travel bit might prevent things, as thats difficult to enforce.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Looks like the minimise travel drops out after May 17th when hotels are open. Races were prevenring entrants from Tier 3 areas at the end of last yr, so maybe only "local" races will be on from March 29th. Goodwood mara would be local for me, but not sure how they could restrict travel from further affield, so maybe after May 17th will be the Dorney mara date?
  • Options
    I’d be having a crack at that segment Reg, if I was closer.
    Good session SG. Maniac Mile: did you not read the article Aley posted?
    After my easier day yesterday I got out for 16M this afternoon. Repeated a route I trialled 12 days ago in the deep 🥶. Complete contrast today! Both windy days but in completely different directions. 8 segments in the run from 100m to 1.1 miles so figured I’d use them as Fartlek markers. Made sure I started early & finished late on all of them & picked up 3x2nd, 3x4th, 5th & 7th on the final one which was a brutal hill about 11M in. Averaged 7:28 for the run in spite of the 1400’ of undulations. Recovery running tomorrow for sure 😆
    Still need 800m climbing in the next 4 days to scale Everest in Feb though.
  • Options
    Reg Wand said:
    There's a great footpath (steep) directly opposite the end of the High St on the other side of the Henley road if you fancy a Strava hill climb attempt! 

https://www.strava.com/segments/23586769

I am 18th and I think I was right at the top a few year back so it has become a popular target!
    That segment goes up to Berkshire College of Agriculture: BCA. They have a good set-up there: big campus with a few footpaths going through it but they have a "park and ride" for horses so there are a lot of paths that are open to the public in addition to the footpaths.

https://www.bca.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/02-11_BCA_Publicroutes-map_v3.pdf
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Whoops, sorry - did read Aley's piece, but didn't click the actual name, and read the two posts linking them different days. Doh!

Seg smash Wed day for you then. Were you close on the 2nds?

I lost one today - legitimately for once! Some chump boobing out a 8.30 paced 8 miler,then lashing a half mile flat out, after what looked a 20min rest :D 

He's only taken it down to 5.21 pace though, so when I fancy it, I'll be back - and might see if he has any others i'll pursue with a bit too much keeness.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    TR said:
    Looks like the minimise travel drops out after May 17th when hotels are open. Races were prevenring entrants from Tier 3 areas at the end of last yr, so maybe only "local" races will be on from March 29th. Goodwood mara would be local for me, but not sure how they could restrict travel from further affield, so maybe after May 17th will be the Dorney mara date?
    I was going to reply to your pre-edit, but I see you've had a re-look, and noticed they repeat the same phrases for most steps.

The questions that haven't really been answered are
    • When does the one run a day rule stop?
    • Is minimum travel your own judgement?
    • Are the May 17th allowed events still needing to be distanced? If yes, it gives organisers a headache trying to scale up, surely. If no, what's the difference between this step and 21st June?

Either way, numbers going the right way, I think we'd all be delighted with a result of distanced races back from early April (29th March being a Monday, so in effect it's the next week), and full stuff on from mid summer.

If I had 3 main wishes, it's that Endure can go ahead, and that the 12 stage relays/Masters relays are either allowed to take place somehow in their usual slots, or get moved to later in the year. I'd love one last crack at this with the current club before I weigh up that arrangement as a whole.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ive had a closer look and the FAQ mentions minimise travel, it seems to infer that you can travel outside your county after May 17th. But not sure how they control that? Cancelling events is the answer i guess......looks good for the autumn though.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    17th May is very strong - "No restrictions".
    But would be quite difficult indeed to draw it up by county lines.

You'd have nonsense like I can drive 45miles to Milton Keynes, but not 10miles into Berkshire.

As a club I think we're just keeping it down to the individuals who comes to training.

Last time we had the nonsense of Slough being the only Berkshire town in tier 3, and the rest of Berkshire tier 2. So in effect, Slough people were banned from training.
    Boy did that get some of them on their moan wagons :D 

Beauty of being in a different county, 30mins away meant I didn't have to hear or see any of it in the flesh.
  • Options

Reg the Zwift races sound fun (albeit brutal). How motivated are you vs a real life race? I can imagine it feels pretty close the the real thing. Sounds like a classic parenting cool down. 

I like the tempo into intervals style workout, SG. All the rage with the more vocal running groups online. Rapid as well. 

A well organised set raid, Jools. I don’t know how you manage to remember such a route (although haven’t actually looked at it). 

Sore today, but got another golden opportunity to get out at lunchtime. Solid wind, but impressively sunny and 15C - essentially as hot as hell in comparison to recent weeks!

As I was buggy free, decided to run a proper hill for once. Headed directly from home, up a local steep road, continued climbing onto the high point of the Cotswolds - Cleese Hill. Great panorama and a welcome break from too many screens. Nothing fancy or fast, but good for the soul. 9M, 1000ft ascent, 8:30 pace. Legs fooshed now. 

• Options
    SQ: Nice hill climbing.
    My Garmin 645M has Navigation so I create a course on Fetch or Connect then import it & follow the directions. It’s not foolproof as it decides that you need a turn alert for a 90 degree bend in the road but not to take a side road that is at say 30 degrees. I memorised the approximate distance into the run for each segment.
    SG: 6s faster required on 2 for the outright lead. One of those was the 1.1M seg so definitely doable. Not so sure about the other as need to take it from 75s down to 69s. The 3rd is probably out of my league. I managed 2:03 but the CR is 1:47 which is 5:24 pace on a slight uphill
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SQ- you can rename yourself just as sore legs for a bit then :)

Jools, your mapping route randomly made me think about an event that I think Joe B organises his troops for - the Green Belt Relay. Sounds a blast - 2 day event, 12-13 or so in a team, you do a leg each day, ranging in difficulty from say A to D, and lengths of about 5miles to 12.

Logistical animal with the distances needed, and needing to pick up the finishing runner, and transport the next one to their leg ahead of time etc.

Nearest I've been was trotting my own run out once, about 4miles from home and stumbling across the race in action.

But the point (ED - there is a point then?) is it's self navigation  -which is where your watch would be magical :)

You'd never win, as Serpentine, who have about 2,000 members always would, but would still be a blast. Probably doesn't beat the events that are all self contained in one big park though. Those are superb for team stuff.

Those segs are always knowing when something's beyond you, or would take a perfect day.

There's one in a area I own a load in, that looks on paper to be in SG-range, but on attempting it I realise why i'll probably never take it.
    Always into wind, speed humps and 3/4 in it diverts onto horrible gravely stuff.

That and some kid taking a rough path 0.25m seg down to about 4.20 pace and you think, no, not today, disco lah-dee.
  • Options
    One run a day isn't a 'rule' SG and never has been - it's guidance as a "should" not a "must"....
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Probably best following a "should" though, in fairness.

Just surprised as they've repeatedly laboured the once a day point, that there doesn't seem to be an easing back in with exercise, it simply seems to go from the current once a day, to 6 strong gangs in un organised stuff, full club sessions back on, and distanced races back on, all on one date.

Which is brilliant from that date, but would have thought they'd graduate that over a few weeks.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Reg, had a better look at that Hurley offroad hill seg, as your link had defaulted to km and metres. Must be one hell of a steep awkward climb for a mere 1/4m or 1/3rd mile.

There seem to be 3 segs slightly different distances, and I see your time is about 11.20 miling. Rob Corney, a sub 50min 10mile guy for any non locals, only has 10.11 pace on one too!!

"Ultra man" who owns a couple must be some runner, low 8 pace.