Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Agreed, that was the marwell zoo 10k but in the early 2000s when i was a gym/fitness nazi, to be fair the joke was then that i used to wear it at vlm, but stopped that around 2012.......it got binned and im not a club runner so dont have one now. My wife bought it cos it was bright orange and it was easy for the kids to spot me.

That was one of my first races in my adult career, i used to run the 10am 10k, kids did the kiddies fun run (for a few £) and we'd get to stay in the zoo for the rest of the day. Saving ££££s.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    SG - very good summing up , i did get a GPS this year though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    A mix of me forgetting how my garmin works, and it actually locking, all about 3mins before my run meant I had to panic to find a cheapo watch with a stopwatch, and try and estimate my distance later.

I wrongly thought one button went back a screen, and then the whole thing refused to let me past a certain screen answering either yes or no, and a few reboots didn't do the job, so off I went without it.

Out to Marlow on road, then the always testing 300feet or so climb over a mile from Marlow Bottom to Ragman's Lane.
    A few different versions, today's was on the main road being careful to jump onto the bank to the side at times when traffic approached, up to a footpath, then a gradual, but consistent incline for a fairly long time in the woods. Much harder when it was muddy the last time I did it!
    Saw an old work colleague and barked something about hardly recognising him as I was knackered. A bit exaggerated :)

Through a field, emerged at Asda, then a climb up from there, and finally down the woods.
    Made it to 1.38.20, which I'd calculated should be 13.5miles, and 7.15 ish.

Checking mapmy run now, it doesn't quite allow the exact route, but from nearest fit, I reckon it's bang on. 7.17 pace in the end.
    That makes sense. No doubt the flat road miles coming out quicker, and then obviously a couple of miles weighed down in the middle.

Had a nice sleep after that one, and woke up to 3 segs lost.

One from some maniac, who has been getting away with registering 25-35milers in the low to mid 5s for ages. I checked his strava and he has 4 pages of these illegitimate segs :D 

I spent 5mins wiping 90% of them - can't be bothered removing the 1 per cycle ones, but have removed the 10 a session ones at least.

One cheeky man has taken my ferocious 6.35 paced 1/4miler down in a Slough park - I will eat that when I get back there.

And another I was 50-50 on, has taken 7seconds off a 52second seg I  held which wasn't doss pace like above, it was already sub 5..
    He "might" have managed 4.15 pace during a 7.20 paced 4miler, but the graph suggests he's hit 3min miling a couple of times, so I suspect that's a GPS issue job.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Have you fixed it yet SG?
    Another big weekend for me.
    18.8 miles of Herefordshire footpaths & lanes following the Ross Round yesterday https://ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Ross%20Round&fbclid=IwAR2n_DvZFI1PCXo4I63JMw1CIUNAjzp0quepW9xislrLN9Yb4RrS0TnS7xE Very slow, loads of stiles & lots of stopping due to unfit dog (& owner) but a good afternoon in the sun (mostly) with company.
    Set off for 15 today.
    The first 6.5 were along the cycle track I used for last April’s solo marathon so mostly flat. I used that as a 6M progression which came out as 8:33/7:40/7:24/7:09/6:53/6:32. 1st mile climbs 55’ over the last third & legs were still waking up but the payoff at the start of the 2nd got the legs turning over nicely so built from there. I then had an easy 6 minute recovery run before hitting the big climb hard: 770’ in 1.6 miles! From there the only way is down so I recovered on the descent before a short sharp climb which had to be walked. The footpath was hard to discern amongst all the DH MTB trails but managed to get on it then it was a mix of good fire trails, muddy paths & a rocky technical descent. Went wrong at a fork & added almost 2 miles to the planned 15. At least the last 3 miles were downhill & on tarmac so I was able to finish at a steady pace. 2hrs25 all in.
    Looking forward to an easy 6 tomorrow 😂
    Entered the Shepperdine marathon last night. It’s on April 25th so best get a bit more focused. Won’t be a PB attempt but should give me a marker & something to build on for Brighton in September.
    There’s a HM on the same day if anyone fancies it https://sites.google.com/site/roguerunsevents/home/our-events/shepperdine-marathon-and-half-marathon?fbclid=IwAR1hVrexV70Q7ctwSBStj69Yn_6lnLSIyiMJdKv8DJFNRXx2j3uysSwYy48

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    It’s strange, SG. As you described the watch breaking pre run, I was thinking of how I would deal with it. I suppose the real answer is - just go and run and not worry about it. But that now just feels so unnatural! In reality, I would just use strava on my phone tucked away in the flip belt. Anyway - a nice sounding run. 

Like the sound of the zoo run/entry, TR. I would love to do the 

Outrageously windy for yesterday’s long run. 16.3 buggy miles, with 175m ascent, at 7:49 pace. The wind was in a different direction to usual - so a headwind during the slight declines, and tailwind for the slight ascents. I suppose this is the better way round, but it did mean zero easy sections! Genuinely knackering. 

Strangely, the savage wind (well certainly savage with a buggy) seemed to result in much high mental effort and muscular fatigue, but not greatly different HR. Nonetheless, another longest run post stress fracture and longest ever buggy. Feels a little like following a marathon training plan for the first time again with the ‘firsts’. 

65M for the week. Recovery week on the cards. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Eden Project Parkrun offers a similar deal, when they’re back.
    Outrageous buggy running SQ. Enjoy the recovery week.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Weird - missed half a sentence when replying to TR. Fortunately Jools correctly completed it! 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good long runs all, but especially in the wind with the buggy SQ and a big double Jools! I've had a few occasions like that with the Garmin SG. The old 310XT could take ages to get a signal, and if you went to a different time zone you'd need to remember to leave it outside for half hour before a run! It would also have this habit of the battery going from 100% overnight to 0 for no apparent reason, only to be discovered just as leaving early doors for a long run somewhere new!

Pretty dismal 14M today Accidentally times it for the wettest part of the day, and it was just hard work most of the way round! 50M for the week though, which is OK given the nursing of the hamstring needed!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    That zoo weekend was good, think it was late April so usually warm. Cheap way of all getting into the zoo too, esp as it was only a few quid for kids to run.

SG - im impressed with the gadgetless run.

Bus - hope the hammy eases, mine has a bit with lots of rolling the hammies and low back, but ive a long overdue fizz mot this week anyway. Didn't really notice it during 22m easy yday.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Jools -  I actually managed to forget to add a line that it started working straight after I'd tried to charge it! Wasn't immediately sure whether to be fuming, or delighted, before realising it's very much the latter I need to feel!
    Very strange. I'd tried the obvs reboots, but the charging of it seemed to properly do a reboot. Good job, as I'm too tight wad to want to lash out on another watch - although I recognise it's such a key bit of kit.

Heck of a weekend for you. I knew i'd heard that marathon name before...an ahem, yes, 1 whole page back when SQ mentioned it. Whoops!

SQ - that's a good call - Strava on the phone probably would have worked....except i'm ahem...so tight that I've been rocking a real dilapidated smart phone for years that has been telling me that it is "corrupt" for months now, blocks me from logging into RW (a "token" issue apparently), and constantly runs out of space, so I'm forever deleting cache, and bits of programs :D 

However, I am super sorted with 3 ipods for safety now. I will rotate when i'm back into doubles from the 29th (yes, i know..guidance etc etc, but i'll last until the 29th). Until then, i tend to use the biggest space one.

Your fitness has come on massively since the injury. You're now doing quicker with buggy then the initial months post injury without it!

Bus - the increasing amount of time that the satellite takes has made me wonder about races and what if it didn't load in time. I suppose you simply stopwatch it.

The once I met Moraghan he emerged like some sort of race accessories angel and passed me his spare watch. I'm not even sure it was a GPS, or I didn't load it, but just having that vague sense of splits was enough - I was grateful!

The only other race my watch screwed for, was Wargrave 5k one year, about 10mins before the start. I wellied it back to the car, got a stopwatch then stormed back to the start, was drenched in sweat, yet was clearly so properly warmed up, that I managed to steal 2nd at the end after being part of a second pair just behind the lead pair for most of the race.  Made me wonder do we sometimes underdo the warmup for fear of leaving too much pre race? Probably.

I'm always surprised most of your longruns aren't hard work with the gradient and footing - so fair play for loving that. I find some of these long runs right now a bit of a slog - probably more a mental grind knowing you "need" them, but half wondering why as there's no races.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR. Might try getting the roller out again - I'd pretty much forgotten I had one until you mentioned it!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    (ps you know it's a long post when you need to bold people's names/initials :D )

Talking about races, MK have a 3 day festival of races early May.
    I like the medals, some kind of groovy cartoon cow in various poses :)

May look at either the 10k or 5k. Anyone fancy one of those?

There's a runthrough one early April that could be decent too - Kempton race course. Having done the Newbury one, this seems similar so would be good. 5k/10k/HM options
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    ps TR - I suppose for the first 7miles or so I had a rough idea of where miles would come out, and how it was going versus that. 
    And probably no bad thing not seeing how slow a trudge it would have been in the woods.
    I suppose it's the certainty on distance I rely on.

I went with a girlfriend (ed - you had a girlfriend?!?) and a pal to a 10k in a zoo in about 2006.
    Woburn Safari.

He did the 10k race, and I had a leisurely, presumably cheaper way in just being a hanger on-er.

I still remember the three of us cramming into a Ford Ka, my pal doing monkey impressions in the back, and driving through an enclosure with a massive black bear about 80 metres away, not entirely feeling super safe :D 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Bus - roll the lower back too, you can hang over the roller a bit  and let it feel like its putting the arch back in your back. Tight backs cause tight hanmies. I dont find stretching exercises help, they seem to annoy hammies.

SG - good idea combining racing with days out, esp for families. That Marwell 10k was a hilly affair though, so plenty would have avoided it without the zoo visit carrot.

We're still waiting for runbritain to rubber stamp the return to racing, theres an update expected w/c 22nd march. Runbritain think it'll be ok from March 29th, but the EA roadmap still has minimise travel on it until mid may......having said that, there are a few more maras popping up late april (including the race jools and SQ have entered), so late April seems like it'll be ok.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    SG - a road race is the one time I am not at all fussed by having a GPS watch. With (hopefully) accurate mile markers, stop watch is sufficient. I never have current pace showing anyway. 

I do enjoy your plethora of ipads  :) 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep TR, and all the tiers do have the 4 points of what has to have happened regarding the numbers etc, so it's not a given yet.

I haven't heard how many million have been vaccinated for a while, when up to 20m it seemed to be daily updates.

SQ - that's just the half of it, I have assorted dead ipods lying all over the place that I hope will come back to life at some point!

9.5m today. Felt very sweaty and warm, but that's probably just standard fare unless it's a particularly cold day.

Getting a little bored of the routes, so was pretty much about 3.5miles out, 2.5miles back on a different bit, into the Wycombe favelas, up and down a bit, then back.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Race talk is back :-)

I entered Wokingham today. I probably won't do any running races prior to the Ironman in June, injury risk is too high.

My hammy is still niggling a little but managed three runs last week of 4,9 & 14 miles. The latter was a proper amble as the hammy was grumbling so I just ignored the watch and plodded about in the mud and hills. I think 9 minute miles is my slowest ever run  :D It was good to get the time on the feet though and I had done 4 hrs on Zwift the day before. 

SQ - I do have arm warmers for the bike but that's ok as you're not wearing them with a vest. I rarely use them unless it's one of those spring/autumn rides when it's going to be cold for a while and then warming up, as you can whip them off.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    A September Wokingham is most unusual. It calls for doing a string of the longest runs over the summer and the mix of trying to have a summer of thrashing short runs, then quickly jump back into the longer end of things.

Let's see how April goes first, see if we're even back yet! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Progression tempo type thing today.

Started 7.30ish, last mile 6.02.

7.27, 7.01, 6.52, 6.32, 6.30, 6.23, 6.16, 6.02

Slight climb across town out, and dip back, but the 6.02 mile was a net 1 foot climb.
    Was absolutely drenched after that one, so a decent work out.

It's funny, it's an easier workout on paper than your say continuous 6miler at 6.15, but the splits of the last 5 averaged 6.20ish, so not "that" much easier in fairness.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    9mM Reg? Welcome to my world (if you add on a bit!) :smile:

Likewise SG - still contemplating whether a September Half is worth all the summer effort! Nice progression btw.

Fairly standard 8ish off-road today, but with the return of the mud. I felt battered!  Not just the hamstring, which has not enjoyed the enforced sitting in meetings afterwards, but everything just felt tired!  It feels like typical over-training, but I know from old that sometimes it is and sometimes this type of fatigue just goes with no rhyme or reason. If we weren't in lockdown and running wasn't the only thing to do to get out of the house and maintain some sort of sanity, then I'd probably have a few days break!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice progression SG
    That’s the only speed you’ll need for TriX Reg
    Bike Bus? Weather’s looking good tomorrow.
    I did a 6M recovery run yesterday after an easy cycle commute.
    Repeated the same format today but with a 3.3M stop/start jog at lunch with Y9 who’ve not been out exercising their right to daily exercise. Averaged 10 minute miles, even though I stopped the watch while waiting, so it didn’t take too much out of me :D Legs were much fresher this evening so the run was quicker with a lower HR. Beautiful post-sunset sky & crescent moon too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus, for all the less impact benefits people always say about off road, I've always found it a lot harder work - maybe when you feel battered keep it to road?

Bet you would batter most of your class over any sort of distance Jools. And surprise them in doing so!

9 for me today, went for a different route, up towards Bus' neck of the local woods, which requires a fair climb to get there, but once you're there it's nice and flat, with the promise of a lovely down later.

Slightly changed the plan midway and nipped into a footpath into some woods, which I presume is the infamous Totteridge Woods, and followed a few trails, a couple that seemed to lead to random dead ends or fences. Eventually emerged at a different place to where I was aiming for, but luckily quite high up Amersham Hill, which is a steep old beast, especially the lower part.

Wrong turn in Penn but no harm done, and finally down some woods, all while listening to BadBoy Running podcast, that had the girl winner from the annual Cheese Rolling event in Gloucestershire on, a decent listen.

9miles, 7.40ish
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    True Jools, just curious have you seen any/many using TT bikes on Tri-X, I suspect I will lean towards a road bike with aero bars, are there many stretches where you can take advantage of being aero?

11 miles easy yesterday @7:3x. feet started to hurt a bit from the pavement and the Adidas SL20 shoes don't seem to offer much cushioning. Might treat myself to something else for longer pavement runs. 

1 hour on Zwift in the evening, entered a race after technical issues meant me missing the club ride but my legs were not happy racing after the run!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Good running all - too time constrained to go through it all. Still a bit windy isn't it.

Reg - quite a long way to go with those Adidas. Basically racers aren't they? Adios are going for £70 odd. Will probably get some myself after pay day.

15 miles Sunday, feet were a bit hot, got issues with dead skin etc I think, bit uncomfortable. Also stomach issues as I thought i'd mix it up to get a couple of segments. Got both, one was a 0.3 mile double hill, did that by 20 secs..and then a 0.9 mile flattish section. Should have kept the Garmin on pace, as I got it by a minute, doing 5.35 pace, didn't need to go that fast tbh. Consequently knackered me for the rest of the run, then got dodgy guts...serves me right.

Usual 9 miles Monday, did 8 x 800 with 80 on the tarmac track yesterday. Was really windy up the back straight, they came out about 2.37 averages...which I was reasonably happy with. Just my quads are really starting to hurt before they should do. Bit worrying tbh..

On the London commute today.
  • Afternoon all, been lurking in the background as ever, always meaning to post then never do. It's the talk of running in caps that has drawn me out of hiding - not practical and I get far too hot, but it's a fashion thing, obviously ;) Something like that anyway.

Some good training going on as ever, and it looks like we're inching back towards normality, which is good, as I've just about had enough of this now.

Plenty going on for me recently - we've finally up and moved sticks to Dorking, which is bloody excellent, absolutely loving it. Unfortunately, this has coincided with my first proper run injury in about 6 years. I've only run about 3 times in the last 3 weeks - physio thinks some sort of hamstring tendonitis or similar, which really doesn't seem to be going away.

I've seen 3 different physios and still can't really get to the bottom of it at the moment, but it's still causing me a fair bit of discomfort. Fortunately, I'm in no pain on the bike, so I've been knocking out a good 16-17 hours a week. Been seeing Reg a fair bit actually, in the virtual world of Zwift.

On the note of AG triathletes, doesn't seem to be the most difficult thing to get into, but really depends on your age. I hope Reg will agree that probably the hardest thing is qualifying for the ironman worlds in Kona, which is probably why I try and go after that above other things. 

Hoping to be back running soon. Did 4 miles this morning, but it's still not quite right. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Bad luck Joe, but welcome back. At least it's come in this kind of no-man's land territory of no races, if it had to come at all.

SC, last time I bought Adios, I nabbed two pairs of the latest version for £135 including postage, but I think I recall you mentioning that strangely the prevo version are more expensive?

Reggie, I can only imagine with your fairly frequent muscle tears, albeit light, that lightweights aren't the thing for you?

I think a few race organisers are waiting for an imminent Run Britain/England Athletcis/whichever other bods, statement to properly rubber stamp stuff resuming in April.

I dare say the distanced races will come back, and I'll soon be puffing a just about sub 18 5k out somewhere thinking, is this brilliant? But quickly thinking it is after when writing it all up/getting the medal, and relief that you only get post race!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I have picked up injuries wearing all manner of shoes so it makes no difference as far as I'm concerned, it's just a comfort thing. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Good to see joe, bad news on the hammies, could be bike or lower back related, i had to get some massage on mine a few years ago to get rid of similar......dont stretch them too much, or do too much s and c it annoys them......i had mine massaged yday coincidentally.

SG - EA put a return to T and F draft up yday, local meets and county champs up until 23rd May, with the minimise travel point again........we need the govt update on 22nd as to what is going to happen from 29th, we then need runbritain to update and clarify the minimise travel point, we could be on stay local for a while.......i  only live 15m from chichester but its in a different county ! Yet could go 50ish miles and stay in my own county.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    They had the tier business last time, but not sure that'll exist this time.

Certainly doesn't seem any rush to enter any race until it's all a lil bit clearer.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Joe - I used to get out that way on the MTB and for long walks a fair bit when I was living in Southfields. Great place for cycling and running (when your injury is gone) especially in the summer!

Jools - planning to get the bike out a bit next week as I'm on leave. Never really enough time during the day, except at the weekends and just rarely seems to happen recently - I've become a bit of a fair weather cyclist since lockdown!

SG - I think hills are more of an issue than trail v tarmac for me, but double today (I know - I'm a scofflaw!) wiht this mornings being hard work but tonight's fine. Conscious effort to do stand up online meetings and walk about ever ten minutes helped today!

Watch those quads Simon - I'd definitely be suffering with even just one 2:37 800m though :wink: