Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Avoiding sitting is the way fwd Bus. Great that the 2nd run felt better.
    Sounds like a fun 9 SG
    Congratulations on the move Joe. Sorry to hear you’re still hobbled 4 running. Bonkers biking - probably not helping the hamstring recovery even if you can’t feel it.
    Reg: I have seen TT bikes used but I’ve also seen plenty of nasty crashes. Poor road surfaces, hairpins & narrow lanes make bike handling skills essential. Aero bars are well worth it on the Full X though, less so on the Half since there’s relatively a lot more climbing.
    Easy 4.5M at lunch with a Y11 who’s working towards his gold DofE. Right hammy grumbling a little by the end so canned the idea of a track session in favour of a broken tempo on my newly minted 6M loop. 
    I created a couple of segments on it yesterday & fancied my chances at the CRs tbh 😆
    So 0.5M wu to see how the hammy responded to running then into the 1st: 2.11M which climbs 125’ in the first 3/4 of a mile before dropping gradually til almost 2M when there’s a couple of little lumps to negotiate. Took the CR averaging 6:27 😎 0.5M climb of 130’ at a moderate effort before seg 2: 1.37M which climbs 165’ in the 1st half before dropping 100’ to the finish. Got the CR again at 6:47 average 😎 A minute’s jog recovery to the final summit before piling it down to the start of the loop to make it a 5M hilly (500’) tempo in 34 minutes flat. Eased off the gas for the last 1/2 mile but still came in at 7:00 pace, although it is slightly DH. Buzzing afterwards as usual after nailing a tough run.
    Hammy feels no better or worse for the workout but I’ll see how it feels tomorrow before deciding what run to do. Should probably keep it easy as I’m having my jab straight after work.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The body is nicely loosened by the first run Bus :)
    Reminds me of the days I used to do a light run at lunch, and then the session in the evening. Body is prepped that something is coming later.

Although these days when it's 2 runs a day it's the other way round, to make sure to bank the main one.

Jools, is doing a run something that kid counts towards that award then? Or just a bit of background to who you were doing it with :)
    Nice segmunching, though not as comedy as Simon doing some and taking a min off some shortish seg :D 
    That's not how we do it in seg smashfest club - you have to just skim them so you can do loads in a go :)

9 today, did one of my routes pretty much in reverse, meaning the a painful climb dribbling up some steps early doors, but a nice offroad rampage down midway. Had to keep that cautious actually as it's quite a steep down.
    7.27 pace I think.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Seems like hamstring issues are rife within the thread at the moment. I have a standing desk at home, where I've been working exclusively for a year now. I rarely use it but it's a godsend when I do. At one point it had been so long since I'd raised it that when I accidentally touched the button and it started going up, I was like fuck, I forgot it did that  :D

I am using as I write this, reminded by this thread.

The first rule of 'seg smashfest club' is, always talk about segment smashing.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    SG They have to a physical section. He has chosen to do an hour of running each week so does 40 minutes with me on a Wednesday lunchtime as it was dark by the time he got home, when we started in November. He can then do a 20-30 minute run each weekend.
    I think they're meant to demonstrate fitness gains so I suggested a 5K TT. We did an initial one which, IIRC, was 24:xx. Obviously I try to explain that for real gains they need to run 3x a week & then build in some interval/tempo work too.
    Seg smashfest club  :D
    ps Hammy still grumbly but no adverse reaction to the hilly tempo :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the inbetweeners and Neil "Going for a run" as part of a PE GCSE :)

I should have done Sports Science at A Level, but instead idiotically took Maths, despite having only moderate ability (by grammar school standards).
    I remember slowly losing it over the course of the 2 years, melting down totally drawing the teacher on the graph paper in one test, and handing it in.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    SG - Yes the 4's are getting rarer so the prices are going up. Given up tbh..will go for the 5's next.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Shoe of champs brother, and erm...me.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Just wish it was all Boost. Suppose i'll have to try this new stuff they are using now.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Anybody on here not having hamstring issues currently then? :smiley: We're falling apart! I certainly felt like I was on this evening's run. Started late, lost my contact lens and ended up in the dark and not getting the full miles in I was going so slow with the combination of being half blind and legs like lead!

Got my first vaccination booked for tomorrow afternoon. Hoping I'll be OK for a run on the way home, so hopefully no adverse effects!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Hammy held out for 4.5M easy at lunch. Had the jab at 4pm then ran another tempo session at 5pm. 8.5M all in @7:14 but first 5M in 33:26 before the hills. Alternated floats & hard efforts thereafter. Picked up another CR 😎
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the hamstring crew heal up fast.
    Maybe reign in the outrageous elevations for a bit :)

They're an awkward area though. I'm certain I'd take a lot of stretching etc to be able to touch my toes, whereas I know some (usually a lot shorter) people can do it off cold.
    And once they're tight, you have the constant "is this back, hamstring, or calves" causing it debate.
  • Options
    The Bus said:
    Got my first vaccination booked for tomorrow afternoon. Hoping I'll be OK for a run on the way home, so hopefully no adverse effects!
    I had my vaccination yesterday morning (8:55 Aylesbury Bucks New Uni campus). Got the usual spiel about "Don't do anything for the first 15 minutes" and ignored that and drove straight home (who needs a left arm when you have an automatic anyway?). Felt fine for most of the day but by evening I was a bit shivery and headed off to bed early and had a disturbed night's sleep. A couple of ibuprofen this morning and I'm feeling OK but won't run until tomorrow at the earliest. 

My hamstrings are fine :smile:
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Anyway, track today, and I remember how you can be "fit" with 60mile weeks for months on end, but it's these that add the top end.

8x600 (90secs), 2x400 (60), 2x200 (30)

I thought 2mins sounded about right for the 600s for 5k pace. That's 5.22 pace which is above what I'd be doing in even a peak 5k, so felt bang on.

Obligatory windy track, but no real downside to giving it a go and seeing how it panned out.

I don't always round up, but have done for the 600s today. Four of them rounded up, whereas at the time you just see the "1.59" for eg come up on the watch

(Average in the 2.00xx's at least) 

Bit fast out on rep 1, to "feel" what felt right, and the wind definitely didn't help, especially when you're mid to late on.
    Have done 600s faster before in this session, and faster again in the straight 8x600s which is done at the 3k zone. 
    However, it all depends when you're doing this session, what's gone before, and how windy it is :)
    I suppose the medium long single every day may not be the best lead up freshness wise, when doubles are re-applied in a week or so that may or not freshen things up.

Felt a good loosener for the first bit of "proper" 5k training for ages, after some dips back into 10 zone stuff the last 2 weeks. It wasn't meant to feel easy :)

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice repping SG, the idea of doing track reps just fills me with dread, not the effort but the likelihood of some body  part breaking.

My hamstrings are, ironically, more flexible than ever, I can touch my toes quite easily now whereas I used to struggle. They're still not properly flexible but I think the yoga will and is helping.

Yesterday I did a shorter, 6 mile run and as is often the case, I ran a bit quicker than usual, just under 7s with a bit of time around 6:30 and this was enough for my calf to tighten a little. It was fine walking about afterwards but tightened again after I leaped out of the sofa to tackle my daughter as she attempted to run out of the kitchen with a packet of unauthorised crisps, just before dinner. Thankfully I was able to tackle her to the ground with ease as she went down like a sack of spuds and in the same motion, relieve her of the aforementioned contraband. My calf did not appreciate this heroic bit of parenting and I was limping about until bedtime. I woke up this morning like nothing had happened though. Sometimes I just don't understand my body.

I will stick to the bike today though and save the legs for a long run on Saturday. My hamstring is getting much better though and again, the yoga seems to be helping.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember particularly ever fancying a track session to be honest Reg. But usually some sort of bizarre magic happens in between the obligatory treacle warm up, and that first step onto that plush rubber.
    A lot of track sessions don't feel "flat out" as such, but you know you wouldn't especially fancy going faster, especially when wind is involved That's probably when you know you've hit the right effort level.

It's sometimes hard not to think on some bleak track session about whether you actually want to do a race, as in theory that's working harder, consistently, and with no breaks.
    However, we all know the races are the big reward, perceived effort is lower, and relative magic happens when stuff counts and there's people to race against. 

In your case, I'm not surprised you stick to more to the cycle. Pete is always telling me what a bike legend you are, and whilst a very tidy runner on top, the gains through booting your running mileage up always come look to come with too high an injury risk versus your main strength of the long bike events.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I had a quick comparison of how today's session sat versus other times.

The best versions I did of today were at 1.57 in 2019, and 1.55 in 2018.
    Those were mid summer, peak mode, especially the latter, when in sub 17 shape.

I suppose getting back into the sharper sessions was always going to need more of an easing in.
    Wind as well I suppose, the two sessions above were still days I expect.

I found another session from July 2019 that was meant to be the 3k version, ie just 8x600, and those averaged 2.00 in wind and rain, and that was after managing 1.57 not that long before, for the session meant to be a 5k pace slower session - so conditions are always a key factor, without using them as a total alibi :D 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Solid session to begin the campaign SG.

Loving the snack enforcing Reg! And yes, these type of injuries can just be weird sometimes!

I also had mine at BNU Philip. All very efficient and fed out nicely through the back straight into Waitrose to find some discounted Peroni Gran Reserva and Belgian Buns (which I have very much missed!). No run after as I went out at lunchtime. Not running was probably a better option, but my intended hilly 8/9 turned into a dull, flat and slightly uncomfortable 5 to try not to aggravate the hamstring (which was very painful on the "long" drive to Aylesbury!).

I fancy a bike ride tomorrow (assuming I'm not lurgified!), but the weather is not looking massively attractive to a fair-weather cyclist like I've become :blush:
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ive got my jab next week, it might rough me up a bit as i had CV, it can make folks who had CV poorly for a few days.

SG - whats the theory behind track reps as a roadrunner ? I would have thought roadrunners would train on flat tarmac loops/paths for sessions. What shoes do you wear is it too bouncy in road shoes?.....i did 12 x 3min today, but just did it within my lunpy commute run in.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    That's an amazing question TR, as it's sort of so obvious an answer, but quite hard to properly answer it :D 
    Also, I wonder why you ask it now, years and years into reading about track sessions quoted too :D 

With reps, you're aiming to run fast and consistently. What better tool to achieve that then a smooth flat surface that is measured to be accurate?
    That's not to say road reps aren't useful too, I've done many reps on the road over the years.
    I presume you've been on a track?! It's not some sort of bouncy castle, so your normal racing shoes are fine. The "proper" track racers will wear spikes, but for the likes of me, racers are more than fine. Heck, I did my mighty 3 career track races in racers too and didn't feel like a chump.

I bet you didn't take note of your average pace on your 3mins did you? For your purpose,  I dare say that's fine, as you're probably just doing them for a bit of turnover rather than thinking, right, the mission is 12 reps, 3mins at xx pace, which is my xxx zone etc

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - yes, ive been on a track, remember the 10 x 400 session. The penny has dropped ii now realise you are actually looking at paces as you go, and trying to hit certain splits and not just recording them to look at later......so racing shoes rather than trainers, that would make sense.....my session was simply done on elapsed time, so 3min on, 30sec jog. 10 reps is done at 35in, 12 on 42 min.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The irony is that looking at the pace as you're going is probably more accurate on the road than the track as the track overreports pace due to the small grid you're on.

But in general the track is where it's at for reps.
    Not everyone has one available though, so the next best thing is a loop, or flat section locally.

Segments are fun as a lockdowns session, but in reality nowhere near as hard unless you keep to a proper structure of xx amount of reps, at xx pace with xx recovery, rather than the much more likely, rampage one at location A, take ages recovering, trot over to location B, etc. Not to mention that you're doing them just quicker than someone else's pace, whereas track reps are at your own pace.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Did about 5 mins of weights tonight. I won't be logging that on strava, and I dare say i'll feel it a bit tomorrow, even though they were tiny dumbbell type jobs, and I only did those few mins.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    SG - i do some pull ups, push ups and light weights in my garage. My lad has a bench and rack now, so i have the option to do some heavier squats etc now, which i might give a go after spring marathon.

22m easy time on feet (2h 58m) today, tight hammy was back after ydays session.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    That sounds like some proper stuff TR, I wouldn't dream of classing my half hearted few mins of working my pin arms out on some light weights anything like the same :)

Nice distance.

Thought i'd have a little walk to explore a trail in the woods today instead of my often totally lazy Saturday. But I got in the gear and thought, i'll just do a short run instead.
    3.5miles, 3miles in the woods, including being led a merry dance by some mutt refusing to let me be, and then half mile road which squeezed the average pace up to a mighty 8.20 :)

Oddly came on a little low blood sugary later, the slight blurry vision. Haven't had that for ages, I presume it was just underdoing the fuel a little and unexpected exercise.
    Quickly resolved it with an orange juice, banana and pasta.

On another note, I was looking through Runthrough's event listings, and if big boy Joe is about, what's this all about from your clubmate?

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Quality reps yesterday SG & nice jogging today 😜
    Thoroughly enjoyed my 6.5M recovery yesterday. Felt a bit off all day which I put down to after-effects of the jab. Legs had been seriously underpowered on my minimal 6M bike commute in & out. Set out prepared to bin off the run if the effort felt like it was going to be excessive. In the end I ran a pleasing 8:14 pace on undulating trails with easy-peasy HR.
    Doing another LSR with my clubmate tomorrow so fancied something a bit more taxing today so a hilly (1660’ climbing) 13.7 miles@7:23 for me. Hammy was fine after a good going over yesterday & this morning. Lower back started to tighten on the first climb & was threatening to spasm from there on, especially on the steep descents so could definitely have shaved a couple of minutes off. I blame bashing out far too many press-ups this morning before running. Average HR was below MP effort though so bodes well for Shepperdine in 5 weeks. 😁
    Accidentally picked up another 👑 too 😎
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    1 press up would be too much for me  :D
    Your crown collection must be building. Do you get many re-taken from you?

Accidental segs are good fun, one that made me laugh was with Big boy Pete in the Lookout forest last summer. We ran together, and made a mistake route wise, but there was a hidden seg on it, that Pete won out by about 2-3 seconds :)

Some chump robbed it a few weeks later though.

I've had to flag a few recently, but also lose the odd one legitimately too.

Not necessarily sure today's shoehorned run was that worthwhile, but it's done now. May do a River type run in Marlow tomorrow out to Hurley, mess about there for a bit and back.
    Just for variety as it's all very samey right now.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Lost a few of those I’ve gained this past year but definitely in CoViD credit 😂
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The seg I mentioned where a 8.30-9min miler had hit 4.52 pace for 1/4miler has been "resolved" apparently, which means you can't re-flag it.

Even if the graph shows them hitting low 3min miling for half of it. Bizarre. Those graphs often remove the borderline doubts about legit v GPS error/cycle.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Frustrating. Never had any comeback from a flagging spree myself.
    Round here you get loads of MTBs which are slow enough to be a shit hot runner & also several serious Cani-X athletes. A month or so ago I started trying to flag one of the segs I ran today: Climbs 553’ over 2M@5.1% average. The CR is held by a woman being pulled by 2 hounds as confirmed in her description. She has it at 6:53 pace. The next closest is 8:20 by a Bristolian triathlete with a legit 4:55 mile PB solo up a 0.5% incline! I did 8:40 for 3rd place. The first 0.5M I was still warming the hammy up & by the end the back was tightening so might’ve got closer to 8:20 pace on another day but doubt I’m ever going sub 8 on it & not a chance in hell of sub 7!! I gave up after flagging 5 of her runs because each flagged run threw up another insanely quick time😆 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Oh the mass repeaters of routes are pretty annoying. It's one thing if someone accidentally has their watch recording them as the wrong activity, but not every single day for ages.

I once thrashed through about 25 from one douche who had cycled the same route every day one summer :D 

The "cani cross" people are a weird breed too. An alternative form of exercise maybe, but why time it, and why upload it?! What sort of weird achievement is it being hauled along? You wouldn't get the old watch rolling at being pulled by a motorbike, a car or a jet ski :D