Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    All just degrees of "weirdness" SG 😜

14.6M for me today, kept very easy and hamstring held up OK. I could feel it, but it never got worse. My back also held up - back was hurting from sitting really badly on the sofa on Friday to avoid hamstring pain!!!

Nice weather for running today and the mud was pretty firm too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Us runners certainly figure highly up the oddball measures :)
    When you strive to hit a nicely rounded 50mile week, but do point 6s of a mile I always wonder :D 

I went out to Marlow, for a change. Down to the high street and round, and then out to Hurley for a bit of a wander.
    Last 2 miles were on a very crowded Thames path. Inevitable really, but just when you're starting to have had enough, so the weaving wasn't great.
    7.20s or so in the end, for a nicely rounded 60mileweek.

Seen on fb our Sam did a 6hour track run, with 3 mates taking a 2hour shift.
    That's a shift.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice work all round everyone. I had a bit of a funny turn on Friday, did a 90 minute Zwift workout and at the end got chest pains so sat down for 10 minutes, it was a sharp pain but just mean shallow breathing. Anyway the wife said my lips were blue so was a bit worried and behind my back she phoned the doctor  :) Almost like she knew I wouldn't.

So I have a few tests on Monday, blood test (my first ever possibly) and a heart trace. Doctor didn't seem too worried but told me to take it easy over the weekend so that's what I have done. Did my 15 mile run on Saturday all in the recovery zone and did not partake in any of the sprints in the group 200km Zwift ride.   :D

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Unexpected pains and turning blue are never good Reg, so hopefully it's some weird one off thing.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    The very definition of taking it easy then Reg! Good luck tomorrow. 

Nice LSR SG. Don’t know what you mean about the round 50 - I ended up on 46.6M this week 😜

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Oddest thing on the run was right near Marlow, some kid was splashing around in the water, clutching a tree branch about 2metres into the swim. His mum (presumably) was watching him, as he looked slightly in discomfort, and also 2 randoms.

I did stop for a few seconds and check "is he ok?" just in case there was a little more peril to it than either the mum or the gawkers were understanding with their expressions!
    Luckily all was well, as I'm no water legend!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Can’t be too serious then Reg if you were able to take it that “easy” 😂
    Not a bad week whilst nursing an injury Bus.
    Consistent as ever SG
    Easy 19.3M & 2,022ft today in 2:56. Nice exploratory route on quiet lanes & a few footpaths following the Wye & Monnow rivers before heading back via the hills. Legs & engine good but back still locked solid. Warm out. Could’ve used a drink & some fuel before getting back to the car though 😆
    Just 78M & 7,000ft this week in 10 runs: 1 LSD, 3x Tempo & 6 proper recoveries.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Thread has moved at pace this week, with some enjoyable chat. Good to see the vaccine ratio increasing. Although hope ill after effects don’t last too long. Radio 4’s series on the vaccine said there was evidence to suggest that stronger after-effects tended to suggest production of more antibodies offering greater protection. 

Anyway, how many press-ups, Jools?!

Impressive time on feet there, TR. 

From your strava title, SG, I thought you had begun walking and then changed your mind - plodding around in hiking boots and goretex 😆. 

Hope all is ok, Reg. Classic cracking on in the meantime!

64M for the week. Took me until Friday to feel recovered from last Saturday’s absolute battering from the wind. I’m sure that was more global fatigue as well - and possibly some mental scarring 😆. 

So, just easy and recovery running Sunday to Thursday. Bit of a grubby Achilles. When I got on one of the spiky balls for some rolling, it actually seemed the upper calf was tight - so perhaps a referred pain. Some intensive rolling and calf raises, combined with only easy running and adding in some heel inserts seemed to do the trick. Although I haven’t yet been brave enough to don anything aggressive like the Adios. 

Session light on Friday - 3 x 4 x 45s fast along the canal.

Buggy long yesterday. Perfect really. Long nap, light winds, great temperature. Got really into the flow towards the end. 18.3M at 7:39 pace for easy HR - low 130s. 

Had to do some child juggling in Wells today, and managed to get out for recovery run. Bit of a wine and food hangover, so took it very easy, but decided to explore the golf course, assuming no one would tell me off. Really nice paths within the course, but more importantly found loads of linking public footpaths. Next time we are there, I’m definitely going to plan out a proper trail run. 

My friend is keen to run his first marathon in over a decade, and is on the verge of entering Peterborough - end of May. Wants to bank a solid 3:20 before trying to get closer to 3 in due course. Have offered to pace him. Am suddenly really up for it. Shouldn’t be too taxing (famous last words), and would give a nice reason to run long once before the autumn marathon. Quite nicely, yesterday’s buggy long was only 1s/M off this pace!

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Great LBR SQ to round off a recovery week.
    Peterborough looks to be good timing with Shepperdine a month previous.
    150 btw which is a lot for me these days. Haven't done any regular gym work in at least 2 years!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SQ - yep, if I plan to run on a Sat I'd sensibly save a bath for post run. 
    This week I'd had the bath, and expecting it to be a walk, was in my usual lounging about shorts, knowing a walk wouldn't drench them :)

But I got outside waiting ages for the GPS to pick up and started thinking, well I'm out here, I'll end short of 60miles, I could just boob a short one out :)

At least when you run on a Saturday you have reason to feel like a blithering sluggish mess later on, rather than it being like that through just sitting about :)

I know time probably doesn't feel particularly quick for you, but as a bystander, or byreader (!), you've gone from crocked to huge runs at decent pace pretty quicklY!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Right, it's that time of the week, unplug the home laptop, get the work one back in place. Never a weekend highlight!

One more week of singles, even if it is my self imposed rule, and then I look forward to doubles the week after, and a few turnouts popping up!
    Word has it the athletics bods are meeting tomorrow to rubber stamp racing being allowed.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    SG - its the stay local point that might be the stumbling block. We'll see.

Reg- best wishes, sounds like there cant be too much wrong going by your easy weekend ! Fingers crossed.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cracking proper long uns SQ and Jools. Especially with a buggy SQ (is there actually a child on board????).

I hope you are wrong about the vaccine, as other than feeling a little spacey yesterday, I've noticed no side effects whatsoever.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It'd be more of a surprise if there weren't some odd reactions to a vaccine being lashed out to 25 or so million so far wouldn't it?

9 today, eased into the run as didn't feel particularly lively. 7.29ish with a couple of little climbs in there. Could always properly trundle them out, but as long as you're not pushing, there's not much odds really is there.
    Although in fairness I often only get out at 7.30-40, so if you've got an hour or more run you do have to keep an eye on the clock for work. Could get out earlier, but you know how it is, you know the latest time you can get away with getting out, so tend to creep towards it.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

150? Impressive, Jools! I’m missing heavy weights. Staff are strictly banned from the school gym unless actually taking a class – and sadly I wasn’t timetabled for that this year. Enjoyed the new LBR acronym.

Haha, SG. Water rationing your way?! I know what you mean though. One can make all kind of logical decisions around whether or not you have run yet that day. One reason I used to love the 5am runs so much. Could put kit straight on, no food in your stomach, no need to shower, no one bothering you, etc. 

Thank you for the shout as well – definitely feel fitter, although running anything longer at sub 7m/m remain an unknown. But really enjoying things.

Bus – yes, child on board, and he keeps on getting heavier! I’m sure there must be a degree of your general immunity levels that affect how you feel post vaccine. As a generally healthy bunch on here, I suspect we might feel less than others.

Speaking of health, how did it go today, Reg?

Mondays seem to be quite a good day for getting in some quality, so headed out for this week’s VO2 session: 3 x 1200m, 3 x 800m. Probably did them more to ‘CV’ level rather than VO2 – I struggle to really push myself when solo.

Used a flat hard surface 0.75M loop, with paces of just over 6m/m for the 1200s. Then switched to grass for the 800s. Just ran three minutes hard and didn’t worry about distance. Did this with a tempo on Wednesday evening in the back of my mind.

Still not quite brave enough to wear adios, but the NB 1080s were quite a good compromise.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    England Athletics have 29th March as being "travel permitted for training and competition.

No time/mileage/county limits on it, so I think we're ok to get back to the distanced stuff of Sep/Oct.

5 weeks of that and then "No restrictions on travel" at earliest of May 17th.

So we're getting there!

Athletics and Running Roadmap
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    It’d be more impressive if it hadn’t crippled me SQ 😂
    We’re fortunate enough to have the gym Friday pre-school for staff only at the moment.
    Unfortunately the ‘upgrade’ 18 months ago ruined it IMO so unless I want the TM I’ve not bothered.
    Monday track session for me too with Y10 in spite of back/big weekend.
    Kidded myself beforehand that I’d just do the wu then stick to stopwatch duty but the lure of the track was just too great 😆
    Short & sweet: 5 minutes of lunges & leg swings, 2 lap wu with some short accelerations then 2 sets of 6x 200m on/ 200m easy with a 2 minute walking recovery between sets. First set was meant to be 5K pace & after a couple of 47s laps to get the legs turning they came out as 44/45s so bang on my track 5,000m PB pace. The 2nd set were meant to be mile pace. Funny thing was the first set felt flat out yet after the breather the 2nd set averaged 41.5 with a 40-43s range. That’s bang on my PB pace for a track mile. 😎
    Nice easy 6M recovery this evening - surprised myself with how good the legs felt.
    More recovery running tomorrow & Wednesday.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SQ, Monday is never a good day for speedwork if you do your longun on Sundays :)
    Always amused me the people from my club would do a race on Sunday, track Monday, and then speedwork on Tuesday. Then be out for a few weeks :D 

I look at some of our coach's quoted sessions, and it's always xx seconds faster than 5k pace, seemingly whatever the distance, be it 400m (fair enough), or mass 5min sections (less fair enough!)

They do seem to be aimed at those whose training paces all sort of loiter around the same pace though. As otherwise, 25secs per mile faster than 5k pace is a heck of a zone to work to for any sort of distance :o 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one on the sessions SQ and jools, in going to try to get my 3min reps done early tomorrow morning as ive got my jab in the morning. Reduced my mlr home tonight to 13m which will hopefully help the quick turnaround.

SG - noted. We just need runbritain to say the same now. Im expecting the jab to rough me up a bit (as i had cv19), so am targetting Goodwood instead of Dorney now.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good plan TR
    🤞you don’t get roughed up by the vaccine💉 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I find it deeply depressing - I mean, how can "England" Athletics manage to spell licence the American way?  

Nice Monday sessions chaps.  Leisurely bike ride for me (I'm on holiday this week, for what it's worth!) plus a nice evening stroll with my daughter. All very exciting!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR -it's a subtle but key change isn't it. I believe it was "minimise travel", and now "travel allowed for training and competing". But you're right, RB need to rubber stamp stuff.
    (quickly changed the z that this site had autocorrected my s in minimise to for Bus's sake)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Proper session again today. 

4x200m, 4miles at "that" zone, and then 4x200m
    90secs in between everything, reps and transition to the tempo part.

Done on the road, so was never going to be busting juice on the 200s, so the first set were a strangely mixed bunch between 36-40, and same scenario exactly with the second lot at the end, albeit first set flat route, second, a slight incline one direction. The aim is to lift the pace before and after the continuous tempoy part, so in reality they don't need to be track drilled style.

The 4miles in the middle averaged at a pleasing 6.16. Certainly wasn't easy. Bit of messing about doing a couple of loops with a little incline and dip, and a few roads/avoiding people, all that jazz.
    But certainly not easy, and was glad when that was over for sure.
    It shows simple maths are a struggle when working decently, as I thought I'd come out at about 6.20 average, but obviously now realise that 25.02 is 1.02 extra from 6min miling, so the 15.5 hence 16seconds on top! :)

As I like to think 6.10-6.15 is the zone for that level of work, I can take 1second difference for the slight bit of messing.

I like this session, as it doesn't feel the drag of oh no it's 6-6.5miles at one pace, and you can do it on a track or road to equal sort of effect.
    Probably if you do it on the track you get that greater gain earlier, as you're going a fair bit faster for the 200s, so the 6.15 ish feels so slow in comparison...but only for a couple of laps until it kicks in as a decent effort.

But how fairly equal or slightly better runners than me can do that sort of pace for 10miles solo I do not know.
    That's a huge effort.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That's an epic buggy run SQ! Jools, I would never prefix 70+ miles with 'just'.

Had what might have been my first ever blood test yesterday, I don't recall having one before. Blood pressure seemed high to me at 126 over 84. Don't think I've had it tested since I was getting the piddle and fiddle as a kid but would need more readings to check it so might get a monitor.

The nurse had never seen a reading like my ECG though with some big spikes on the graph, I have no idea what they are but the doctor was consulted and reassured her that they were because I had a strong heart, most of us running heroes have been in this ego boosting position, the fact she's not seen it, is I hope a reflection of the state of the rest of her patients and not something wrong with me. All the other results were fine though but if there's a repeat we agreed I'd go for an Echo and take it from there.

After a biggish weekend I just had a rest day with a bit of yoga stretching yesterday but will do some gentle hill reps at lunch and a group bike session tonight.

This might sound weird but going to the surgery was quite nice, the nurse seemed cute from what I could see and then I popped to Waitrose on the way back. It reminded me what real life was like. You know, doing stuff.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Brings back painful memories Reg of a long year in 2015-2016!

ECG (and 24 or 48hour one), Echo (smearing gloop onyou and uncomfortable metal bit on your stomach), blood tests, treadmill test all monitored up, talk of "enlarged heart" causing their usual checks confusion. 
    Heart arrhythmia wards amongst loads of 70-80 year olds... etc
    The big one MRI (or two in my case, one with very worrying results, one that was suddenly "yeah all fine").

Am sure you'll be ok.

The only comedy moment of the whole bit was the day of my treadmill test, I ended up parking about a mile away due to heavy traffic.
    The tight carpark was rammed solid, and I ended face forward, with a car ahead, and a car behind, and about 50cm space in between front and back.
    I ended up doing about a 75 point turn, ditch the car elsewhere and had to monster in to the hospital, utterly annihilated by sweat, before having this "stress test" on a treadmill.

Just :D 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    If they'd known about your proclivity for parking drama, they would've just wired you up ahead of time!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
     :D  Would have blown their machine up that day! 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sounds good news Reg. 

Quality session SG. 

Distinct lack of lying in on this holiday, so out at 830 this morning for the usual. Walk to the shop, to see my card declined, which ended up being quite stressy all masked up with a queue forming behind and no other way of paying!  Ended up having to go to the cash point, queuing to get back in the shop and emptying and re packing the rucksack. 

I prefer the idea of the cute nurse!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nightmare Bus. One of those things I'm always dreading, having spent 99% of my life insisting on paying by cash :D 

Think I mentioned it on one race write up last year, but I made an absolutely insane mess of things once. I'd taken a bank card instead of  the work fuel card (same colours at a quick glance!), and funnily enough the pin doesn't work with a totally random card :D 

I thought it might actually be an idea to use said bank card properly...but then as it wasn't my normal one, totally forgot the pin, and the contactless didn't work, I forget if that was either due to failed attempts, being over a limit, or just the clerk pushing the under the counter "dodgy punter alert" button and shutting it off.

Luckily like some old man I had a bag crammed with coins, that along with a couple of tenners stashed, just about got me to the fee :o 

Eventually got going for the now easy business of the race :blush: