Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Luckily Bus, you didn't have 14weeks off, only a week or so in a go. So a mere 2 weeks max to get back to the full fury :)

Despite the England game tonight, I'm doing the Dasher session, to make it 5 weeks in a row now.

Just means leaving very close to half time, have say 15mins on the radio, then watch the rest on the phone, hoping it doesn't go to extra time/pens - as that would then leave a right conundrum!

If it did go on, i'd have to consider joining the session midway, then doing solo reps at the end :P 

16x90secs, off 1min, in 2 sets of 8, with 3mins in the middle.

For that many reps, on grass, and being that bit more than 400m, realistically i'd imagine this would pan out more like 10k effort, rather than the billed xxx seconds quicker than 5k that they love to describe.

• Jools, great report:

"Parking was not an issue."

There is a lot of detail on elapsed time versus schedule, was that something you did as you went along or is that details you filled in later? How did you plan the schedule, was it based on recces?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Cheers PMJ - The parking remark was for SG's benefit ;)
    I had a printout of the schedule on me & was getting feedback at each summit early doors. Once I knew I was slightly ahead of 19h but running comfortably I stopped checking at the summits. I was informed of how things stood a few times & as I completed each leg. Afterwards I went back & filled in each summit time using Strava. It was a relatively simple process as I turned auto-lap off instead pressing the lap button at each summit & upon entry & exit of the scheduled stops. At no point during a food stop did I check how long I'd stopped for but my planned halt turned out to be ideal timing generally.
    I worked out the schedule for the first 23M from my recce a fortnight earlier, for the next 21 I used the times I'd run whilst supporting other successful attempts & again for the last 15. Between Miles 44-60 I relied upon a combination of my recces & more importantly the times achieved by Dan & Alan.
    Bloody hellfire Aley! I'd not seen that. Just incredible.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Mental Jools - Legs felt tired just reading it!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Aley - you're like Rob at my club - always telling us all these brilliant runners.
    We wanna hear more about the people we're faster than  :D 

Jools - no sane person should ever use phrases like "between miles 44-60"  :p 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I watched some of the US trials on Youtube, some amazing results, womens 400m hurdles WR and some kid breaking Bolt's WJR at 200m with 19:84 despite being 17 and still at school! There does seem to be an all round improvement in performances on the track, I wonder if it's shoes, drugs. training or just a coincidence. Perhaps it's the two year cycle running up to the Olympics allowing athletes more time to prepare.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    As a rule most of the fast guys don't go to Dasher training, but there's often one of them about, and last night it was Chris B, previous 1hr 10 back in the day HM guy, who weighs about 7 stone and has a chiseled "proper" runner build even at 47!

Therefore, was sensible for us to share the load of the 2 sets of 8x90secs.
    First set was decent lick, sensible, him on the outside doing slightly more I guess, though marginal.

3mins in between, then his "bright" idea was for us to rotate leading them, and the other to follow on.
    Yeah, that sounds like a plan until he monstered off, and I did an even sillier 2nd rep, for the fastest of the day.
    It suddenly dawned on me that this was in no means any sort of sensible strategy, doing the second set faster, and inevitably the gaps to him started to drift on "his" legs.
    He's still going pretty darn decently.

16x90secs on grass is quite a haul in fairness. I'd probably do 12x400 somewhere in the 76-78 sort of mix depending on sharpness, so more reps, and further distance was a stretch.

Morning 4 was hungry! And the lunchtime 4 a bit more alive - roll on re-fuelling and a nice sleep.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Single 8 today, including a steep climb up a different woods start than I often do for a 4miler.
    265 feet I think mile 1 was, and you can imagine the hard breathing going straight into that from cold.

Lovely when at the top though. Couple of other in comparison miniscule climbs, then a big down midway, and eased in for the 8. Probably better than doing a slightly longer run without the climb.
  • Stevie G said:
    Single 8 today, including a steep climb up a different woods start than I often do for a 4miler.
    265 feet I think mile 1 was, and you can imagine the hard breathing going straight into that from cold.

Lovely when at the top though. Couple of other in comparison miniscule climbs, then a big down midway, and eased in for the 8. Probably better than doing a slightly longer run without the climb.
    Yep, that's about the steepest climb around your way. There is a steeper climb if you go to Bennett End and run up towards The City (yes, we have a local hamlet called The City). SG lives at the bottom of the hill I live at the top of so we have opposite ways to run: he has to start up and can finish downhill and I'm vice versa. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Pah - my run Tuesday last week was 1172ft for the first mile and 1800 for the first 1.5M SG :smiley: To be fair though, that was 19mM pace and I was definitely breathing VERY hard!!!

And similarly to Philip, but at the opposite end of the "U" for my runs compared to SG :smile:

As for this week, Tuesday and Wednesday were just very slow off-road, trying to keep the hamstring under control - which was just about OK. Today became complicated because of life getting in the way, resulting in a short window to run at lunchtime. A measure of how slow I am as it turned out, with 2M in the middle passing for tempo, but at a positively pedestrian 6:50 ish pace as much as I could muster!  Needless to say that, and hours of sitting in front of a screen, and the hamstring is grumbling tonight. Nothing untoward, but touch and go as to whether the planned 7 tomorrow to put me in reach of 40 for the week is sensible - a judgment call tomorrow evening!

• Quick shout out to Dean (formerly of this thread as Meep Meep the roadrunner) who is off to the Lakes this weekend for his Bob Graham Round. Massive pile of training put in, bound to succeed!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully those steps forward aren't met with the previous steps back Bus! Don't worry about pace on "effort" for now, it'd be more surprising if you were blitzing it after the awkward period.
    Speed always comes back last.

Needed a session today - couldn't bring myself to get to the track, so freestyled a sesh round the park.
    Despite living close, it's incredibly rare for me to do so, so it all felt quite unique.

10mins, 8mins, 6mins, 4mins, 2mins was the plan, initial thoughts 90secs, and the idea to get quicker as the durations became shorter.

Super humid, and about 70% on grass made me think 2mins was a better plan, and I knew I'd add a 1min wild romp on the end too.

I had the auto split on, so the splits aren't the cleanest, as naturally the first 2 reps brought up the mile split mid way, and I think I bungled the 2min rep to include the 2min recovery too :D

However, as far as i can see

10mins      6.15mile split, then 6.18 for the next 3mins 45, so call that  6.16
    8min         6.07 mile split then 6.03 for the next 1.53, so perhaps 6.05
    6               5.54 mile split
    4               5.43 pace
    2               Estimate 5.35ish from the graph - as recorded it as a 4min lumped in with 2min stationery rest.
    1                 5.08 pace

Did what it needed to.
    Very humid, but managed to keep the vest on!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice session SG, not sure about telling us about your wild romp though.

I had a week or so off running with a sore calf but managed 4 and a bit miles today and it doesn't seem too bad. Did our club 10 mile TT last night, it's not a proper race, just a training race timed off Strava but moved the KOM on from 22:19 from my last effort to 21:37 or 27.7 mph. Quite pleased with that as there's a bit of elevation in it along with 10 roundabouts so I don't think it's the fastest course. Might look for a faster event somewhere to bag a sub 21 and start working towards that magical 30mph mark.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
     :D 
    You get quite a few of these running niggles/lay offs don't you Reggie, but near invincible from the bike stuff!

ps Phil, the other day you mentioned steeper hills...which I certainly didn't want :)

But surely the start of that hill into Flackwell from Wooburn green takes some beating.
    That's very hard to run DOWN for the last bit. I wouldn't even dare try and go up it.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good efforts from SG, Reg....Bus fingers crossed for the annoying hammy!

Interesting 49th Birthday Wednesday....had eastern masters at Cambridge and this one is the 3,000m. started off with a 71 - bit quick tbh and thought i'd go with it, but started slowing up - plus I had someone with NIKE Alphas on right behind me all the way.

Horrible race, ended up with 9.17, one second ahead of the guy behind. I wouldn't have moaned about illegal trainers if he had come past, but they are going to tighten up for the next race....although as it's a 1500m it may not be as important. Checked PO10 and found out that he's just done 15.58 for 5k a few weeks ago, so going well anyway.

Luton last night - 5 x (600,400,300) off 80 with 2 mins between sets. Took a bit to get into it, but got into it. got it down to 1.48, 67, 46 for the last set.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Happy7 boomtang Simon. One year until you can really boss the scene in a new cat!

No supershoes on the track? Yet allowed on the road? Seems a strange distinction.
  • Stevie G said:

But surely the start of that hill into Flackwell from Wooburn green takes some beating.
    That's very hard to run DOWN for the last bit. I wouldn't even dare try and go up it.
    White Pit Ln Climb 232ft 7% 0.63 miles
    https://www.strava.com/segments/985264

Mudds Bank Climb 208ft 12.4% 0.31 miles
    https://www.strava.com/segments/2146730

This is of course all a load of nonsense (and I started it, I will admit), at the end of the day there are steeper and steeper routes (such as your Murder Mile) until it gets so steep you can't run nor walk and have to climb. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Ah offroad climbs you're always going to get some ludicrous ones. More fool anyone attempting it :D 

You'll have to dig out that that is half way up Winchbottom, that is only about 300metres or so in length, but is criminally steep - before becoming a bit more reasonable as you move on towards the bit I couldn't find all that time back.

To be fair, I really don't get the whole "do loads of elevation" thing. Crawling up super steep hills at 12min miling on the verge of combusting doesn't strike me as any sort of fun :o 

(says the guy who 3 years in a row drove between 2 and 4hours to do a 1miler up a hill so steep that the second half is mere crawl material)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    And talking of ludicrous climbs, Mee Meep is on the first of many in the next 24 hrs as we speak!

You can track his progress here:

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/bobgcw/

And good work on the birthday master activities Simon!

As for me - did my 4th run in a row today for the first time for 4 months. Surprisingly OK, with just minor niggles and discomfort - fingers well and truly crossed!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's decent progress Bus. 
    I remember footballers with bad injuries used to focus on 1 more game. The 1 more race for you is in sight!

Will take a look at Mad Mee Meep's stuff.
    He still sniffs through here chuckling at some of the views and characters.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Mebbe!

Lad's doing well so far - descending Hall's fell Ridge well inside a 23 hour schedule. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Had a quick look, this all happens over a few weeks then? Most of the names listed have finished days or more ago?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Most people do it over the summer months close to midsummer to make the most of the light and (hopefully) better weather, but there'll be a smattering f peeps in most weekends of the year and there's a separate record for attempts in winter conditions.

The lad's doing well so far - descending Hall's fell Ridge well inside a 23 hour schedule.  Bloody long, tough way to go yet though - another 20+ hours of running/hobbling/scrambling (and eating)!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I will leave you refreshing it all night old son...
    will have a look tomorrow ;)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, Halls fell ridge , whihc he is halfway down, is a pretty tough rocky descent bordering scramble at times so his timing s good as there'll just about be some daylight left up there now before the transition on to the grassy rolling slopes up over the Dodds and on to the Helvellyn ridge for the next few hours of darkness!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Very short rest stop at Threlkeld and he's away again onto leg 2 - gonna pick this up again in the morning :smiley:
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Woke up for a pee and took a quick look - He's just past the half-way point for a clockwise round - Rosset Pike, and still going well. He's got the big ones and most difficult section over Bow Fell Ill Crag, Scafell Pike and Scafell coming up next - I'm going back to bed though :smile:
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Tracker stopped reporting for it bit, whihc must have been concerning for his folks,  but he's now well into Leg 4 with 11 peaks to go and looking like a 22:20 finish time.

Much better than watching the football :smile:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure refreshing a page can ever be more exciting than actual sport, well maybe, the lesser sports like rugby and cricket...but looks like he's going well.

Clearly to most of us we haven't got a clue about the undertaking, but on simple stats 66 (or so) miles over 24hours or less, up and down massive climbs is certainly a different sport to what we all do!

Give me a flat short race, agonising over a few seconds any day :D 
    Well done though Dean - beyond midway :)