Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    13 for me to finish the week a lot better than starting it.
    One horrible hill in the 4th mile, then a few grassy laps of different parks and footy pitches on the route back.
    7.15 or so pace, but again, never trying to push these, just how they fall.

Did have a look at either New Year's Eve or new Year's Day races, both at Hyde Park, but will hold off as there's every chance they whack some new restrictions in that mess them up.
  • Nice try Joe, it'll come soon no doubt.

I have had a less than perfect week. Took two days off running after my failed session due to my tight glute/SI joint and saw the physio yesterday, My SI joint was completely locked and I have the start of hamstring tendinopathy at the insertion. I am only allowed to run every other day and try and keep the pain to a 2/10. I managed 10 miles yesterday before I felt I was developing an obvious limp so stopped there, I was hoping for 13.

She freed up the SI joint and I have some glute max work to do, hopefully it resolves quite quickly, The cycling and swimming made it an ok week though so not too down yet. 62 miles on the bike today actually made it feel a bit better too so that's helpful.
  • You’re doing exceptionally well on the mug front, SG. Look forward to the thread tea party round your gaff. 

Impressive parkrun, Joe. And I saw your 10k the other weekend. Super pace - spoons and I had a nice little debrief on it. Cheltenham parkrun is fairly busy. 500-550 pre covid. Now 300-400. So plenty of overtaking. But it works well for life with kids swimming lessons 8-9am right next door. 

That’s a bit shit, Reg. But I suppose not too bad if the bike makes it better. 

Recovery in the mist this morn. 10k at 8:20ish pace. 67M for the week so building back reasonably. 

The 10M race training plan introduces some VO2 reps this coming week: 3 x 1200, 3 x 1000. Might replace with some hill reps at the same effort - half an eye on a hilly race on NYE morn. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    SQ, I was surprised when looking at the "absolute mug" (!) site, that they do them for quite a large number of races.
    Their website reads like it's one woman sat at home pumping loads of them out. Wonder how much she turns over.

Let's hope whatever the gov come up with doesn't put racing back off. Even distanced stuff would feel a bit of a blow, as we've had months watching it all open up again.

Reggie, not great, but maybe not "that" bad if you're getting up to 10miles until it gets dodgy and are allowed to run every 2 days. Physios in general are very quick to curb running. (bar the local guy who I swear reckons a clicked back can get you through anything, and to press on accordingly!)

Hopefully just a reaction from upping the mileage and something the physio can steer you back to neutral with.
    You tend to do well existing with a lot lower running mileage than most of us, more than supplemented by the cycling.

• Yes Reg, hope that clears up ASAP

SG - I have enquired with a couple of folk I know at the council there and the Aylesbury 5k definitely not on, sadly

Joe - Good 5k mate. you will get there soon

Decent weekend this end - down to the site of the Southern xc (apparently) at Beckenham Place park. This was the historic 'South of the Thames Senior' which is a mixed 7.5 mile cross country race. Some good news was the participation of the two fast Tonbridge girls in the Battersea 5k the night before. They both usually do it and I struggle to stay in front of them ;)

Set off conservatively no the first of the three 2.5 mile laps, mostly firm with a boggy section at the top of the park. Started moving through to be our 2nd scorer on the 2nd lap and felt strong enough throughout and came in 21st, distance on my watch was 7.39 miles and pace was 5.52 miling which is solid enough.

Yesterday was the Bedford xmas 5k ish handicap, running with my 11 year old. Course on my watch was 4.75k and we got back in 19.54, so good running from him and correlates to about 20.35 for a 5k.

9 steady this morning. 
  • The South of Thames sounds and looked a great race, SC. Good to have a slightly longer XC. Very impressed with you 11yo running by sub 7 min miles. 

‘Absolute mug’ is a great name 😆

Weird mish mash of a session for me. Mentally settled on doing the Three Hills of Cleeve as some tempo and hill climbing. Did the first two and felt quite strong, but then got the call from home, necessitating a tempo home. So a random 2M at 6:20 pace thrown in. So 10k v hilly solo, before pushing on to 13.1M (really mixing my units here) with the buggy. 11ft of climbing and 8:15 average. 

• 11ft of climbing doesn't sound terribly impressive, does it  :D 1100
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    It's all relative SQ, but sounds like a decent basket of work. Three Hills of Cleeve! Sounds an epic!

I've recently done 4 6mile tempos, pretty much all in the 6.10-6.15 sort of mixer, a couple ending a little bit quicker than top end.

After last week's down time, I thought I'd tweak things around with splitting it in half, for 2x3miles aiming for 2m in and around the zone above, then a faster 3rd mile, with 2mins in between.

Certainly not a softer version! As my stomach absolutely discombobulating will attest - but we'll not say too much more about that :D 

Certainly working decently for that last half mile of mile 6 I can tells ye :)
  • I see a trickle of press articles:

An updated version of the Highway Code is set to go into effect from January 29, establishing a new hierarchy of road users to provide better protection to vulnerable road users such as cyclists, horse riders and pedestrians, and a new set of rules around priority at junctions.

If it works as it is designed to then it is good news for runners as you should be able to run across a junction and cars should give way to you. In reality, will anything change?

In other news, out for a lunchtime run today and an undercover black BMW screamed past with blues and twos on and a few seconds later I saw two drivers get out and inspect the damage: he had slammed the brakes on to let said cop car by on the wrong side and she hadn't seen him do so. Clearly, she was at fault as she rear-ended him but surely the cop car caused the accident in the first place. I noted the registration and then passed it onto them but I doubt they will have any luck with a lawsuit. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Was slightly concerned your first line was connected with my stomach issues for a second :open_mouth:

I expect any runner stubbornly trying to keep their right of way will find it doesn't end well!

8.5m single today. Coldest day for a long long time. 2 layers, thicker pair of gloves and still never warmed up. One of those days so cold the headphones didn't want to stay in the ears late on either.

Still, 30.5miles nailed Mon to Wed, and last day of work today for 2 weeks.

Could be up for the odd social run with any locals if it fits in (and there's no further restrictions that stop it!)
  • Restrictions on social runs? No chance mate. I reckon they will probably let races go ahead even if they go to step2 for a month in the new year. Pointless but hope not anyway.

8 x 800 last night at Luton off 80. 2.36 for the first one then down to 2.28 for the last one.

Met up with one of the HHH ladies who lives in London for the morning commute run, usual route and a lovely pic from the top of Primmy Hill that I will stick on Strava. Nice to run with someone for a change!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Might get away with smaller races, but you it'd be weird to have restrictions on big crowds indoors/at footy, then let hordes of runners storm around unaffected :D 

Well, obviously I hope they can! We will see.

And it is nice and weird to run with someone isn't it! Had a run with an old vague acquaintance I used to work in a building near years ago, the other week. Very unusual.

Nice reps as always.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    It's funny that you bring up the subject of right of way for pedestrian PMJ, I had a rather amusing incident on Sunday's 10 mile run that I failed to mention. I was on the pavement along a main road and approaching a side road which I had to cross, behind me was a car who by the tone of engine, I expected to be turning left. I reached the junction first and started to cross in the knowledge that the car was also turning in, and potentially expecting me to give way so I was primed for evasive action but anticipating she would see me and brake, which she did. She subsequently smashed her horn and I returned fire with the middle finger without breaking stride, happy to carry on. To be honest I am not sure if I have the right of way but I remember reading one time that if you've started to cross, you did, but I didn't really care as I think it's rude for a car to turn across you and cut you up regardless.

Anyway the amusing part was, as I carried on the car that had been behind her wound down his window and started looking at me and shouting, 'that's completely your fault!', whilst subsequently driving his car into the kerb several times  :D  :D, I then pointed and laughed as audibly as I could manage.

I followed that run up with 9 miles on Monday which left the glute area pretty sore so just bike yesterday and then tried again today. I was due to do a split LT run of 20 minutes and 16 minutes but I did just the 20 minutes and reduced the scheduled 10 miles for a little over 7 due to the injuries. 20 minutes came out at 5:39 pace and was pretty comfortable apart from the various niggles. 

The idea that the government could tell me who to associate with is laughable. I make my own risk assessments thank you very much. 
  • Reg Wand said:
    To be honest I am not sure if I have the right of way but I remember reading one time that if you've started to cross, you did, but I didn't really care as I think it's rude for a car to turn across you and cut you up regardless.
    That is right. Rule 170

170 Take extra care at junctions. You should watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way

I do admit to doing the same as you, so try not to eyeball the driver on the assumption that if they have seen me and are unsure if I have seen them then they may be more cautious. 

I did have a stand-off a whole ago on a narrow single track road. One of my runs has about 2.5 miles of single track road with passing spaces. If a car comes up behind me and slows and is aware of me then I nip into the hedges (cue SG double entendre) and let them pass as I am only 80% of an arsehole and not 100% but if one comes tearing up and honks then I will carry on to the next passing space and give the same middle finger wave. In the incident in question, the lady driver was not happy to follow and kept dropping gear and revving up behind me so I sat down in the middle of the road. As I was waiting for an apology another driver came up behind her and asked her to do so.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Just don't try that with the wrong person Phil, or you'll cease to be.

As runners (and cyclists) we're beyond vulnerable, always have to keep super alert. Have to be super alert on tempos around town for sure!

In fairness, even comfy runs like today you have to be as well.
    Could easily have smashed into two oldies today If i'd not gone cautiously round a blind bend.

9miler today. Had planned to go to Marlow and do about 8, based on the MT 10k route. But got in the car and had some minor fault message so had to make a few calls to book that in (a mere service in the end) and by the end of that, time was cracking on, and I had lost the appetite to spend another 20mins driving over there.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Looking at options to get another turnout in soon. Have done 15 events this year, which feels a good effort bearing in mind the first 3months of the year were a write off, and the summer season was a watered down distanced job.

Boris whacking some more restrictions in is the complication.

There was an intriguing 1mile/5k/10k combo over at Colchester. Kind of like a souped up Gosport golden mile & 5k job, just with an extra layer on top.

However, I had underestimated just how far Colchester is from here, 90 or so miles and potentially 2hours, so that's too far to be messing about this time of year.

Could potentially do a Christmas day parkrun. Haven't done any parkruns this year, so would be decent to fill that slot on po10, but then not sure I want some "not in 5k training" type time on there :D 

Also a potential MT10K next week too, but as per earlier...restrictions etc
  • SG - get yourself over to a parkrun, you’ll enjoy it. No pressure, just burn off some stream.

Phil - good tactic, but like SG says just be careful who you do it too!

Reg - that pace is super solid, especially if not pushing too hard.

11 tues, 15 yest. Lining myself up for my 5th Christmas Day marathon with a parkrun finish as usual - always an early start! Harder now I’ve moved out of London with lack of flat and street lights - will probably limit myself to some smaller, better lit loops.
  • SG - 2 x 3M is pretty close to 2 x 20 mins a lot seem to favour. A great session and certainly mentally easier (not in a bad way). Very strong final mile. And don’t be soft - head to parkrun! 

Surely the rear-ender always at fault, PMJ? 😆 to the sit down protest!

SC - talk me through your London multi days. Why so many jaunts? Looks fab though, I must say. 

Reg - my understanding is that is your right of way. Although drivers don’t seem to realise this on most occasions. Speedy tempo, albeit half a session. Wise stopping. 

Joe - spoons and I were discussing your Christmas marathons with a parkrun finish. I am genuinely gutted I never did that kind of thing pre kids. Enjoy - and the dinner 🍽

First early run for a long while yesterday. As I hadn’t run early for so long, I found myself unable to sleep - ridiculous to experience anxiety for this. 

Big hill in the first half the mildly progressive in the latter. Wire the headlamp for the first time in years. Always put it off as it’s fairly bulky. But what a difference it makes - seeing and being seen. 

Stunning sunrise to finish. Incredible pink sky. 15M, 1000ft and 7:50 average. Nice to get a few miles I’m one festivities. 

5M buggy recovery at 9:30 pace today. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    SQ, that 2x3m, or 3x2m is always a favourite peaking sesh about 10 days before a HM race, but clearly at HM pace, whereas Tuesday's session was probably only the last mile finish around that pace.

The classic Moz approach was a number of 6 or 6.5m sessions like I've been doing, some ending "hard", then developing adding faster bits during it, then eventually ending with the 3x2m or 2x3m HMP sesh.

Probably would do those on a track to be honest.

I know some believe in the above at 10k pace! But I think that's a hell of a session and not sure I'd ever fancy that.

Good running from yourself. I used to feel a bit of that pre session anxiety, even for the 6m tempos I've been doing over the last 6 weeks or so! Odd, as I think it's only ever been the odd 1 or 2 that hasn't gone on plan.

The decision really, is sesh tomorrow/parkrun sat or MT 10K race Monday. I suppose either of the first 2 could still allow the Monday one, as it'd be for shiggles. And I suppose a parkrun is an easier way of getting out for a hard effort than picking something for tomorrow...although it would rule out my usual 1 day a week rest day, but i'm sure we'll work it out :)

Joe, you're booting some big miles.

Reg - forgot to say that's cracking pace. Probably with your experience of niggles hijacking you that's plenty to be honest. Dip in with a few of those, and use the bike stuff to fuel your big race efforts probably.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    SQ - I only go in on Wednesdays, but there's 4 sections to the day...if you mean what I put on Strava. Stunning picture...I will try and add my one in a bit.

• Some healthy mileage there SQ/Joe. When I mentioned going for a run on Christmas day, I got a rather frosty reception! Looks like it will be  rest day as I am hoping to run tomorrow and bike indoors Christmas day.

I folded on the Alphaflys (£135) with the current deal, the main reason being that I hear they are very good for limiting the impact so I am thinking of using them as a long run shoe when I plan to finish with some LT miles. So this week is 14 miles with the last few miles at LT, I won't be doing that session but hopefully I will get a few in if I can shake this injury off.

Was up at 5:30 this morning and cycled to the gym to do a 4k swim, followed up with Christmas food shopping and it was still only 9am when i got back!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    £135 is a great price for those. Hope you went the quidco route Reg, I think there was about £10 cashback if you went through quidco this time round.   I'd think carefully about using such expensive shoes for training though - races only for most of us!

Mine were £156 a month ago, but had £23.83 cashback.

No idea how this cashback stuff works, and it takes until March, but if it's as simple as you unlock that £23.83 back into your account it's a great saving.

Would have probably been tempted if there had been an equivalent "Next" deal, but I've not even run 1 mile in these Alphas yet so would be mad to get a 2nd pair :)
  • I don't know much about quidco, at £135 they're not that expensive these days, I paid £90 for my last pair of daily runners. With the amount of racing I do they'd never get used if I only raced in them  :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think there's a pair of Nike next tempos (or some similar name) for half price too.
    That might be the golden ticket for what you're after. That injury proofing/spongey type plate, but at a much more decent price.

But yes, take your point on the road races you do :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I'm sure my daily mileage shoe, the Mizuno Wave Rider used to be £80 new, and you'd probably pick them up for £55-60.

I think I saw it's a bonkers £125 or so now, so getting them for around £80 is top class shopping!

Got 880 or so miles out of the last pair though, which I'm sure must be my all time record.
  • I think I need to replace my NB Prism/Adidas Adios repping/tempo run trainers soonish. Think I'll stick with Adidas as the Prisms are a bit flabby and wide in the toe box.

Did the 8 min tempo, 3 mins rest, 10 x 400 off 60, 3 mins and 8 min tempo last night. Felt pretty good.

Parkrun tomorrow with the lad. Think we are targeting sub 21.

Have a good day tomorrow all. Best wishes and a nice fat PO10 profile for 2022!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Happy Christmas all  o:)

Went and got a parkrun in, so we might as well have a quick turn out report.

Suited the schedule to pop half a mile to the middle of the park next door rather than slog out a solo sesh, so 2021 turnout number 16 came to pass, and the first parkrun since summer 2019 in Wales.

The big boy Phil was due to be there, and you'll always get a few local running club characters about.
    A bit of rain was bound to make the grass a little slippy/muddy in places but I ignored that and cruised in with my 4%s, still only with about 110 miles on! In hindsight, maybe the adios with better grip would have been cleverer but never mind!

Couple of mile warm up, wondering where everyone was, but forgot that people tend to mostly converge at about 845.

Recognised both a rival from Marlow days and an old footy team mate. The footy team mate I'm convinced barely recognised me, and just thought it was some over familiar jabberwocky giving it a bit too much chat in those key mins before the off!!

I'd encountered some of his segments the other end of town and i'm certain one or two of them cannot be legit looking at the times he's done in races. It'd need sheer power to produce the paces on the inclines he apparently has.

On possibly the widest start line in the country we were off, and I test who's about by setting into 1st place for a couple of hundred metres, managing not to slip a couple of times on the first 500-600m or so on grass :)

Quickly overtaken by a serious-ish looking guy (says me, in a vest, albeit not a club vest, but £200 shoes ;) ), and also some youngish chap who was going to be a very clear quality runner or massively overdoing it merchant.

Onto some rutted path for a couple of hundred metres. Pretty puddly and a bit slippy in these shoes, but not to worry

It hits some firmer pavement from then on, and I go past the guy in 2nd who was clearly on the overdone his start side of things, and first km up in 3.35.

Continue on firm pavement for a couple of hundred metres more than a 100m or so nipping across an offroad section, again a little slippy but not too bad.
    Round on firm pavement again and round the back of the dyke, slight incline.

Guy in first is getting away, so 2nd will be my ceiling today, which is fine.

But I hear some close footsteps behind and a couple of hundred metres on a shorter older than me looking chap comes past. That's ok today.

2km is up and it's a 4min reading which is unsettling, but not to worry.

The third km takes you down a slightly slippy 5metre dip onto another bit of the park, where you do a loop round the outskirts, then up. Never going to be that fast for all of those reasons.

I'd snuck a cheeky look at what's behind just before that section and although hard to judge it looks like it could only be a 10sec or so lead on the place behind.

Yet we get to the top of that bit and onto 3km and oddly it's a 3.27km which plays havoc with my sense of what the heck is going on.

Wycombe's parkrun has improved since the last one I did in 2018 in that everyone keeps their lane these days. Good news as you go back the way you come past tonnes of people!
    I spot Phil and daughter in there, enjoying a bit of family social type running, and think I need to hold where I am without losing another place. Definitely a "this'll do" day.

4th km is back the way we'd come, and waiting for the long straight to the finish.

The "leader" seems out of sight, which is odd, as there are some long straights, and I don't think he was "that" good to be say 3/4m ahead or anything totally mad class.

Another 4min or so km again feels odd, but it's the run in on km 5. Nice smooth fare, but then the rutted path, and slippy bits of grass to finish with.
    About 500m to go and I look right where I presume I'll see the leader come in. No sign.

Instead, I concentrate on the 2 straights of grass, trying not to go ass over t in the finish straight, these 4%s really don't have any grip!
    3.03 last km apparently :D  

Now I look at the splits, things make a bit more sense. Firstly the distance came out as 3.06, but the 4m kms were 0.66 and 0.69 (!) and the 3.03 was a 0.54m job. Km3 came out 0.54 too, so goodness knows what happened here, as it looks like almost all the km markers were totally off :D 

The oddest thing was that I actually came 2nd in the end, as 1st must have been using it as some sort of session and I wonder if he'd disappeared off the course by 4km. He wasn't one of those who goes over the line and is "unknown", and I don't think he was one of those who quits in the last 50m to avoid the line or I'd have seen him from way back.

Very bizarre, but keeps up my never lower than 2nd at Wycombe record :)

18:20 doesn't sound too red hot (10secs off the winner), but it's Christmas day, not in 5k training, with 4%s on some slippy sections and was only doing 17.32-17.50 in the summer on fast courses, albeit distanced stuff. So probably plenty of disclaimers there, and probably in and around what was there to be run today. :)

About 35 or so seconds back to the place behind which feels a good improvement on the position at around half way near the steps.

So parkrun #19 finally racked up then after a 2.5 year gap, and thinking back to the other 18 I'm sure all bar 2 have been on hard baked/solid courses.
    Upton Court as part of a double admist a 15miler on New Year's day a few years ago was pretty muddy in places, and the Marlow Higginson park one that was awash with water, has a dead stop, and you're going across tight bridges with people walking dogs you're not sure are going to nip you :D 

But 16 turnouts for 2021. Not sure if there's another one doable for this year, but hopefully no restrictions come in that welly the first bit of 2022, as that 16 was racked up with nothing in the first 3 months of 2021.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Run Britain rated that parkrun as a 2.2, the same as the 90feet a mile climb average in the Marlow 7. So while I'm still not 100% sure how they do it, that shows it wasn't the fastest course ever :D 

13 yesterday for a 65mile week of no rest day, and a mere 6 today.

Considered some MT10k at Wollaton, but after the 13 included a couple of miles slogging through woods, I knew an offroader with stiles/gates was the last thing that was needed.
    Especially at £25 entry and there being a "dog" event going off 5mins earlier, meaning you'd be at risk of getting nobbled by mutts on overtaking :)

Almost time for the end of year reviews, so as per tradition I'll get a template up over the next couple of days and we can have the usual enjoyable reminisce and look forward to the next year etc.

Open to any first time posters etc, as always the more the merrier.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I'll keep us ticking over for a bit then :)

Tempo today, but split was the plan, 4m around 6.15, 2mins, 2m around 6.

Was ticking over decently around 6.12 for 3miles, then the next half mile was a pure slog across grass into heavy wind, and I made the quick call to edit the sesh.
    Change the first block to 3.5m , then cut down to 1.75m and then 0.75m.

The last half mile of that first block was 6.30, and still the section averaged spot on at 6.15
    1.75m at 6 dead, then 0.75m close to 5.50 pace.

So gained a bit of extra speed for the split which makes sense.
    9mile basket, that'll do today.
  • Well done on your PR, SG. I don't have much to report, still managing my way through the hamstring tendonopathy with easy runs every other day, seems to be improving slowly.

Might do a New Years Day Parkrun though, not flat out though.