Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    So not sure what happened with the clock there...but when your watch matches the chip you're happy.

Just that I've never seen an official timer show quicker than you do, normally it's 5-10secs the other way!
    Odd thing is that the top 15 don't match chip v gun. A couple 1secs, but others 2-3secs.
    As long as they don't do an early 2010s Wokey and correct the chips to the gun costing everyone time wrongly :D:D 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    So the stolen result of just beating Silverstone had slipped away, but to be honest, I should be a decent chunk below that anyway, and that just wasn't there today.

If I had to match the conditions today to a past race, I'd probably put it up there with Wokey 2020 for wind. A 12 stage relay at Gravesend was pretty windy in 2017 but not like today, and a few other strong winds, but that was hard work.

Having said that, and without spoiling Reg's report, if you see his time you won't believe there was a jot of hard conditions out there :D

Therefore, I'm glad the surprise face of TR popped up late doors.

Oddly, Reg had spotted Scott Pulley, handily named on his vest (!), and as we were saying hello - TR popped up, and 4 of us becomes one of the higher thread meet ups of recent years!!

TR told me that that was the worst conditions he'd seen down there, and I'm glad he said that as us runners love our disclaimers, and we don't want to over do it.

Reg should be bloody encouraged and excited at a still day, as I'm encouraged that I have much better 10ks ahead this year potentially
    Racing what is available on the day is all you can ever do I think.

Despite initially suggesting different to Reg, I quickly realised my calves felt sore - showing i'd put a decent effort in, so we shared a wander back to the car going over the day's fun.

We parted and I made sure I got the day's mileage up to 8 - warm up wasn't really long enough, but in the circumstances probably acceptable today.

I mentioned the huge grassy park close to the venue seemed genius earlier..
    It didn't feel so clever after all the rain and cars moving across it.
    Loads of cars couldn't get out of the mud, and they had a number of vehicles there to tow and move cars back to the thin stretch of rough serving as a road

Luckily I was parked right next to this road. Less luckily I was faced the wrong direction and they were keen for no-one to join the procession for ages.

However, I was happy to just sit and relax for a bit, before undertaking what is a surprisingly long journey back from Goodwood.
    About 1hr 45!

Glad to get another turnout in, as I was in the unusual position of having 4 races booked on the agenda.!
    And quickly changed from mid race thinking this isn't fun, whyyyy, to 10mins after looking to go again :D 
  • Impressively solid run SG on a very tough day!

• Nice one SG, enjoyed that report. I was very excited leaving the muddy car park as I was able, for the first time, to change my car's 4x4 mode to mud & grass  :D It's totally justified itself now.

Cheers Bus, and good news on the 40 mile week and long run.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just realised you'd got your concise report in while I was smashing the long version out, so wasn't breaking any secrets :D 

And while like my 34:30 10k it's a brilliant memorable figure to be a lifetime pb, there's no chance 33:33 stays your pb even if you stay at this current fitness level.

While the stronger/better runner you are the less conditions will affect you, you'll definitely have at least a 32:59 shot now I think.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    .....i saw some ranfom tall guy leap out from undercover and start warming up in just a Datchet vest and shorts, whilst i had my normal trainkng layers on......i thought i bet i know who that was

Reg - cracking run, i didnt know it was you, id have introduced myself. Youd defo go loads quicker on a still day, you dont gain what you lose on windy days.

SG  - i thought it was a lovely spring day on the coast.........fairs fair, ive run Brighton, Worthing, Goodwood and encountered some wind before, but that was on another level on the 2nd lap. Back in the cheap seats where i was folks were giving up and walking........i knew it'd be bad so went aiming for a 6m, 10k, 6m session, but sat out most of the wu as it was hosing it down and only did 5m of the wd as my car was one of only a few left and i wanted to get out whilst assistance was still available.

Fwiw i was 3 mins slower than 2 years ago, although i cant claim all of that as  being due to the wind. My gagdet said i was doing 8mm at times, but the HR also indicates i could have gone quicker.......hope the car park field dries out a bit, im back for a 1/2 next Sunday, at which id expect to run a quicker pace than today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair play again, i thought if that is SG then he's travelled a distance on a foul day, i was parked up LT 30 mins after leaving home, and thought id wasted a morning when i arrived.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one TR, good to meet you - the irony being the times I've mentioned races I'd probably aim to go to you wouldn't be there, and almost by accident we've synched up!

It's weird, you've got your pen pic there, but I guess I've never looked too close, as without saying your name I'd not have recognised you!

You're a game guy, back there a week later for a longer race would test even my keenness :D 
    Is that all contained within the race circuit, or does it have the out and back outside?

I thought the rain had cleaned my car beautifully. Then got home and it's utterly muddied up. Probably only second in state, to the time at Finch XC where we had to drive a dodgy way into the venue through all manner of mud and dust, after some genius hadn't turned up with a key for the proper entry!!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Next week is a Runthrough so its multiple laps of the circuit. Its another marathon build up fixture. Its always wind affected on that motor circuit, but next week cant be as bad as this week.......it was pretty windy when i did the 3.00 and a bit less windy for the 2.58 CV safe marathons.

Yep, my car was a mess too. Which didnt go down well with the boss. Luckily the dog was pleased to see me, it was still flipping windy when i took her out for a walk this afternoon. Theres been some lovely still Sundays down here recetly too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Classic sod's law, but all builds strength or something :)

At least the organisers had realised very wet conditions and grassy field could spell issues and were superbly prepared.
    I was surprised that a big venue like Goodwood doesn't have hard standing for a car park, but bearing in mind my footy club Wycombe 30 years after moving to their location operate using a slopey massive grass field, and they're a multi million football club, then maybe it's not that surprising!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    The usual format for the 10k there is to park round the perimeter on the motor crcuit. But with there being a 5k too (at 9.15) they let them park in the inner car parks (theres a tunnel to get out, whilst the 10k runners are still inside the circuit).
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I saw a tunnel, or maybe a subway for walkers to get under the circuit, but didn't see a car park tunnel. Sounds impressive.

Definitely glad I hadn't picked the 5k. That would have felt a mad distance for the conditions. Today was only my 2nd road 10k since 2017 at least had that factor.
  • Well raced chaps. Enjoyed the reports too. That’s some crazy splits Reg.
    What time did you manage TR? Niggles survive ok?
    That’s a decent finale to the week Bus.
    I did a ridiculously long run: 24.4M! It was going swimmingly til 2 hrs in when the gas ran out & by the end I was battling myself (successfully) to keep from walking even if I had slowed by over 90s/mile. Sod’s law that was the muddiest, slippiest part of the route too. It was an out & back job but it hadn’t felt as bad as miles 1-4. I’m broken now 😭
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Jools - 39:3X which is a personal worse ( i just looked on p of 10), 3mins slower than Chichester 2020 and 2 mins slower than Lordshill in Sept, probably not much slower than the last 10k of vlm in Oct either (which was my quickest part of the race)........maybe ive hit old age, ill be 55 soon........ive done two sessions of speed work (3 min reps) since Dec 1st too, i feel robbed.......i thought id sneak under 38mins on current fitness.
  • Cheers TR/Jools. Yes I also didn't realise who you were TR, well done for sticking it out in that wind. I am contemplating Eastleigh and hoping for some friendlier weather to have a crack at sub 33.

Nice long one there Jools, sounds like an ordeal!

Legs didn't feel too bad so did a 'recovery' this morning.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Couple of short ones for me too.

Had a quick look at the top 4, to see how their times compared to their best.
    1st and 4th have done a min quicker last year. 2nd and 3rd not quite as clear, as I think one hadn't done a 10k and one was u20 so might be on an improvement cycle anyway.

The woman who beat me by a couple of seconds has done a low 35, but not for years. But a low 36 last year.
    Impossible to get an exact it was "worth xxx seconds" of course, but just interesting to try and garner one. Especially when generally the better a runner you are, the less conditions will affect you. Although some runners have their strengths in certain scenarios etc.

Very high standard bearing in mind there were only about 540 there in the end, despite Reg's number suggesting 800+ had entered.
    5k had about 100. That must have felt a weird shoe horned in job.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Great run there Reggie, thats about the best i've seen from you since i've been on this thread - is that about right? 

Just been having a look at 2018 when I did Chichester for the England vest, 33.28 for 20th, Dachs did 32.59. Bloody windy too, but I think our course was better, nice mainly flat loop around some villages, before back to do one loop of the race track. Looks like your course was a bit tighter..

You must have been running with my mate John Kettle from HHH? His strava segment came up next to yours (Edit - Just pipped you, seen results..)

Well done avoiding that t**t thug in the high street too. Cnut.

Good effort SG, relatively happy, couldn't really tell from your report! Good effort TR too.

Good long run Bus.

Me - 23 minute parkrun with the boy at our local undulating off road Parkrun, then off to Wrest Park for a very windy session with the Luton group, 8 x 1k, averaged 3.25-3.30's.

Yesterday, LSR to Ampthill Park, about 15 miles. We were over there to reccy the lad's county schools race on Wednesday.
  • Cheers SC, yes that's my best effort so far. PB was 34:20 which was probably my strongest PB across the distances, prior to that was a 35:11 and now 33:33 so moving forward in 50 second chunks but it takes me a lot longer than most due to injury and infrequent racing  :)

My personal estimation on the wind effect is about 20-30 seconds. I think if you're in about the same shape as previous PBs then you might not give it as much effort, whereas I think I went pretty hard, although I think I went off too easy and had to surge quite a bit to manage gaps to get in groups for the windy bits.

I ran with your mate for a lot of the race and knew he was one of your mob from the Dennis the Menace kit. Looks like he took the V45 honours, I was more interested in the clock than the 20 people in front of me to be honest!
  • Nice one. Yeah John is a good lad, don't see him often as he's down Worthing way. He was one of our Southern masters XC winning team at Croydon, along with Ben P who is 2nd claim Reading Roadrunners.

It's tricky on how to judge windy races. I better enter a 10k to test the VP on another distance. I do think I need some different ones for 5k and below (Perhaps Adidas Takumi Sen or those new Nikes) but I think the VP will be decent over 10k.

Only one way to find out!
  • You know a long run is long when Jools describes it as "ridiculously long" 😆

TR - I'd settle for a sub 40, especially in those conditions and as you are older than me (just!)!!!

Interesting early run this morning. Very heavy legs for the first 5 miles, slight knee twinge, and then ended up having to race an entire platoon of soldiers led by their rather fit (in both meanings of the word!) PTI, who was definitely trying to get them to catch me :smiley: They are pretty well disciplined (as you'd hope!) with the guy at the back shouting "treeops left" on my approach. Only problem was, the girl at the front shouted "troops right" when a dog walker approached and I suddenly found about 30 squaddies moving across the path right in front of me 😆
  • Whilst Bus was ogling GI Jane (I am glad girl was specified later on) I just did a rather dull easy 8 miler first thing. Legs still a little sore from Sunday but not too bad.
  • Bus - I remember in my year at Pompey Uni seeing the poor bastards getting beasted around HMS Temaraire track when they had come off a ship.

Lots of red cheeks and Hi-Tec Silver Shadow on view :smile:
  • I used to be in the military and had the equivalent of whatever the latest £200+ carbon fibre trainer is in the form of "regulation" boots that I could race in. Useless for any real work as they were stripped down (no liner, insole, tongue etc) and soft but I could run 1.5 miles in well under 9 minutes (the "pass" time was 11:30 which dropped to 10:30 once the Silver Shadow was allowed instead of boots so 7 minute miling) 
  • First check in for quite a while during a busy period at work.

Just enjoyed YouTubing Ronnie Pickering, Reg. In fact, did that before reading the rest of your story – wasn’t expecting an actual haymaker to occur! Outstanding racing from you on a ridiculously windy day and on what looks a more challenging course than Chichester used to be. Very well done.

Tough outing, SG. A shame with the weather – I have PBed on the old ‘town’ course and the previous Goodwood route.

Good to see TR pop in – I enjoyed the warm down miles with you there in the glory days of 2019.

Good effort on a tough very long run, Jools. Strava looks like you added some extra bits and bobs on the end – strong mental fortitude!

Managed to limp towards 72M for last week, with the only real quality of the latter half coming on Friday. Couldn’t face the wind for a speed session so got on the treadmill for 8M including 5 x 1k at 17kph up to 17.8 for the final rep, 500m jog. Felt really good, although who knows how well the treadmill is calibrated. Wore the adios, which I have for at least one session a week for ages now, but OMG my calves are still feeling it! Must have really got on the toes at these faster paces. Might try to fit a few more of these in as seem to be able to access/motivate myself for some faster running vs outside.

Slow jogging recovery doubles on Saturday and Sunday, mainly from kids’ activities or during buggy naps. Basically, sneaking in the running wherever possible.

Some freer time today before a busy evening, so headed out for a first training 20 since September. Tried out some Canova-style under-over pacing for 2 x 4M blocks. So:

8.5M warm up at 7:45s

4M (6:33, 7:00, 6:27, 7:00 – approx., slightly hard to tell with my funny watch)

2M easy at 7:30s

4M (6:33, 7:10, 6:40, 7:10)

1.7M cool down at 7:25s.

Fun way to do what should average at MP blocks. Just effort based, but would consider doing it more precisely on a track at some point. Keen to build to 3 x 4M and perhaps reduce the 2M recovery to 1M.

• Excellent session SQ.
    You could also try them as 5K blocks: over-under-over-under-over should get 4 of those in which would be 12K of over vs just 6M with the 4M blocks.
    I guess you must mean the first bit which climbs for 0.8M to get onto the canal repeated in reverse at the end.
    5M easy recovery yesterday and then the usual 16x200m on the track at lunch. Averaged almost 1s slower/rep in spite of 2s longer recoveries. Legs very tired still & the strong headwind on the back straight wasn't helping. Off for another recovery run tonight rather than batter them on the track again.
  • Sorequads said:

Tried out some Canova-style under-over pacing for 2 x 4M blocks. So:

4M (6:33, 7:00, 6:27, 7:00 – approx., slightly hard to tell with my funny watch)

Never heard of these before, what are they? I assume that your MP is 6:45 and so you are doing MP-15 and MP+15 alternately for 4 miles and then repeating.

As Jools says, if you do an odd number then you get more over and less under, so if you did 4 blocks of 3 miles with over-under-over then that is 8 miles which trumps Jools 12k ;) or 12 blocks of 1 mile over.
  • https://www.fastrunning.com/training/marathon-training/making-canova-progress/33854 some good articles on Renato Canova recently. Seems quite a popular means of training at the moment.

Agreed re the 5k or 3M, only sticking with 4M as the racecourse loop is a precise 2M. I really should invest in a watch that actually does some more accurate measuring  :D

Sounds a wise choice to avoid a second track session of the day, Jools. Pitville XC on Sunday?
  • Never heard of these before, what are they? I assume that your MP is 6:45 and so you are doing MP-15 and MP+15 alternately for 4 miles and then repeating.
    Yes - working on about that. Although would hope for more on race day in Manchester. Had the 'slower' NB 1080s on yesterday rather than some race shoes, but try to work to fee/effort and not worry about it too much. 
  • PMJ - Love the Silver Shadows. Was wearing them for my first ever race prize of £1!

SQ - Still getting some miles in at least. Read that Canova stuff, do need to do more 'tempo runs which get slowly faster' which Progression runs are!

Luton last night - 6 x 1200 on the roads, slow start around 4.10 for the first and down to 3.50 for the last one. Found out one of our crew, Mo, won the Watford half on Sunday and won £300!
  • All this looks to me to be just variations on the same theme: if you are going to run a good marathon then your legs need to be able to carry on at a decent pace in those last 6 miles when you, and they, are knackered. You can do that by running a lot of marathons and just getting used to it or you can trick your body into making adaptions that you can exploit.

I'm a big fan of backing up the long run, so instead of doing a long run on Sunday and then having a few easy days, do the long run and then do something on those tired legs. That could be a track session or a medium-long run, so say 20 on Sunday, a 7 general on Monday and then a 15 on Tuesday paced with the second half faster than the first.