Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just saw that the kid (well, could be 25, but still a kid to all of us on here),who did 30:06 at Staines 10k, had actually done a 3.42 1500 the night before in Birmingham.

Takes away the question of why didn't he do the high standard Highgate 10k.
    I suppose a 1500 isn't going to totally wipe you out for a race the next day, in the way that a 10k might for a 1500, but still impressive.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Some top racing, Reg. Do you generally prefer the shorter or longer tris? I also enjoyed watching the Night of the 10,000s. Would like to go one year.

Nice track racing, SC. Can’t imagine what it must be like to race, then get psyched up again a short while later. And good skills to have run at the aforementioned.

Back on the grass track this morning. 3M warm up in the NB 1080v12s, before a quick change into the frankly ridiculous Asics Piranhas. 5 x 1km off 90s static recovery. Remarkably consistent 3:44 per rep. Pleased with that given the approx. 2-3s per lap for the grass, slight undulations and occasional mowing-tractor dodging. Then 2 x 100m fast (not fast). 3M warm down home.

In spite of some relatively underwhelming race results, I feel like I am making a bit of progress at the track.

Last Friday of the Month 5k in June anyone? Am on a course that day which is conveniently close with a well-timed lunch slot.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I am probably looking at July or August for a LFOTM or similar 5k as June is Ironman France week. I prefer Olympic and middle distance SQ, sprint is over too quick, Ironman is too long. Olympic is great but weighted more towards the swimmer so half ironman is probably the favourite. Nice Km repping.

Sounds like we all have a slightly different take on the prizes so I think it's fair to say the organisers will never please everyone!

Impressive 400s SC, especially the second one. I also always ran better in a relay, not sure why it just gave me an extra edge.

My calf is a bit sore after Sunday so Bike recovery replaced this morning's run, swim at lunch and second bike tonight with the club chain gang. Hopefully a run tomorrow am.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    It's pretty mad to think of SC with a pretty darn fast 4.28 1500, and then think that Staines guy did 3.42!

SQ, not sure about the LFOTM, as it'd a day off work for me realistically with the middle of day time slot.

But I do need to sort out a Rose Inn 4miler!
    Just need to decide if I'm gonna be a tightwad and do it up and back in the day, or combine an overnighter with the Scenic 7 in mid July.

Will decide the other side of this 2 day northern work trip - i'll remember how things feel after a lot of car mileage!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Impressive track racing SC.
    Well done Reg & SG.
    Gwent League XC gives the Age Cat prizes out as V45+, V55+ etc which does make sense. If a 53yo is faster than a 49yo they’re a significantly better runner.
    Nice reps SQ.
    Parkrun Saturday in 19:17 which is decent enough but I was hoping for a slight improvement on the Hereford 5K having not run Friday. Consistent at least.
    Usual fare since then: 17M Sunday, 6M yesterday & 5K/10K double today.

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    SG - No just the two prizes, not that greedy ;) No - 4.28 isn't that great for me at this point, i'm usually low 20's this time of year - we will see as the season goes on!

Good session SQ - Was contemplating LFOTM Friday week, could possibly do June, as the Newport Pagnell is over a week away. Last V45 race LOL.

Reggie - It's all about that baton ;)

Luton last night on the paths 2 x 1500, 2 x 1k, 2 x 800, 2 x 400 with the usual 80 secs. Wore the Nike's as they looked forlorn in their dusty box. Needed them after the track meeting. Better than expected (mainly due to the shoes) roughly 5 mins for the 1500's, 3.09's for the 1k, 2.30's for the 800's and 70 & 66 for the 400's.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I noticed there's a 1 mile track event put on by Reading Road Runners tomorrow night, I am tempted to give that a go for a laugh. 'Night of the 1 mile PBs' can't think where they got the name from.

Looks like you can just turn up and register on the night. I have never run a 1 mile race and I have never run a sub 5 minute mile as far as I know. Probably isn't a good idea though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Now that could be fun Reggie. Carnage but fun. Bet it'd be very easy to utterly machine gun the first lap, and unlike a road mile, know about it!

Did my 6x0.5mile, 2x400m, 2x200m out on the road. 2mins, 60secs, 30secs.

2.50, 2.48, 2.48, 2.41, 2.43, 2.44

Change of pace in the second half of those half miles. Always subject to the situation per the rep though, as they're all different.
    Felt decent, and not trying to smash myself. However, I did need to go down on haunches for 20secs late on, so probably bang on right effort etc.

Again, track would probably be quicker, but the time saving and road race style change of footing is probably a really good change.

Back to my end of working week 4mile half woods climb run in a bit after a couple of weeks of Sunday races.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff SG.

Interesting Weds night, late run so tried to catch up with the LBAC social run and failed all round. Lovely 9 miles in the countryside tho.

Stupidly slipped down 6 stairs on my bum yesterday, looks like the Coccyx is ok, bum cheeks did their job, just a bit of bruising LOL. So the 12 x 400 last night weren't the most comfortable, did mainly 74's. Bit tired after Monday and Tuesday.

Off to the Brum Diamond League tomorrow, should be good.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Reg - agreed that middle distance is great bang for your buck. And nicely weighted to anchors like I used to be (not that I am any more of a fish now). 

SG - weirdly, I am visiting a school near Newport on the day of the June 4M Rose Inn. It would be a big ask for me to extend the stay until the evening, but does seem seem fortuitous, so will see what I can do. Shiftin from you on the half mile reps. 

SC - would you wear Vapofly for track racing if allowed? I don’t quite understand why they are allowed on the road but not track. Hope the coccyx is ok. Lots of quality from you this week. 

TL;DR - a very rare ‘W’! 

Having been won in 76 minutes in the past, and the 260m of elevation, the Dymock Half Marathon is clearly no joke, in spite of its small status. With the starting CANNON 💣 getting you under way, a lap of the cricket pitch deals with all the non-tarmac for the morning. Bright blue skies and 19-21C temperatures mixed with a solid, albeit not crazy, spot of wind, to create a lovely challenge.

Onto the incredibly quiet, instantly undulating and very picturesque roads for the next 13M. In fourth, having to swerve very wide to avoid the entire 5M field, before gradually working my way into second over the first three miles. 

The scenery varied between expansive views to the Malvern Hills and Mayhill (pure Jools territory), to bracken lined and incredibly green and peaceful wooded areas. Lovely tarmac, views and undulations make a perfect race for me - no obsessing over splits. Self-imposed pressure is off!

Surprisingly, there was a lead vehicle, with a large Ford pick up truck with hazards on leading the way. Suddenly felt quite breaking 2-esque - although half the distance and two minutes a mile slower 😆

Exchanged the lead a few times, with me adopting my standard approach of steady uphill, faster downhill, trying to keep effort approximately even. Mile split coming in generally under 6:30, with the undulations being frequent rather than any Snowdonia-style several mile long ascents. 

Risked a glance around at 10M, to see the Severn AC runner was out of site, encouraging with about 70m view. Allowed myself to push a little harder on the uphills from here, although probably to no great increase in pace. Breathing became laboured as I got the fear and ran scared last mile and a half, making the final turn into the cricket club. It was a good thing to have the 5M already finish, and as their presentation was going on, got a healthy cheer over the line. Whilst it is undoubtedly small fry, allowed myself an an arm pump over the finish mat gun💪 😆 🥇 . 

1:25:11 on the clock, which I am pleased with give the heat and significant elevation for a road half. Good times! A small field, but my second win, and first in eight years, so going to take it 😃

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Top work SQ, a win is a win, is a win, always. Especially at HM level, which isn't just a quick in and out 5k, it's a proper commitment.

Tiring week for me with the 2 days in Wakefield, and then Wembley with Wycombe yesterday. Always a huge blow to lose a play off final. Trains back were carnage too queue wise, taking 2hours 30 to get back to Wycombe, the train itself being 18mins!! Was certainly feeling weak near the end having not eaten for about 7 or 8 hours :D 

13.5miler today in the heat, on the hills of the Marlow 7 made it a 55.5mile week with 1 session, which with the recovery from the 10k race and trip, is a good effort.

3 day course Monday to Wed, but I'll get the runs in. It's times like this you're glad it's 5k training, and especially from the door, rather than at the track :)

Will really have to work out what races I'm doing. The problem is the first Rose Inn clashes with a race literally 1/2mile away, and the second one clashes with the Marlow 5k, on my bday too!
    The latter at least could be combined with the Scenic 7 the next day which would make sense. But we'll see!!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Well bowled SQ, hitting the big time there, closest I've got is a lead bicycle in the local 5k!

45 miles for me this week, all from Wed to Saturday. Finished with a 20 miler yesterday. 

Decided to put 3 x 5k into it. First hour easy before doing a pre parkrun solo in 20 minutes. Did the real thing in 17:46 for 3rd place and then another 20 minute 5k on the way home. 

Bif of drama at the start as some entitled woman with a pushchair started at the front on the left before trying to wipe every one out and shouting she needed to move onto the grass. She proceeded to swerve right, driving her buggy into the heel of the guy in front. He barely kept his feet. Dozy bint.
  • Sorequads said:

1:25:11 on the clock, which I am pleased with give the heat and significant elevation for a road half. Good times! A small field, but my second win, and first in eight years, so going to take it 😃. 

Take it and enjoy it! In my running career, crossing the line first in a regular race has happened so rarely that I've milked the handful of the times it did. 
    Reg Wand said:
    Bit of drama at the start as some entitled woman with a pushchair started at the front on the left before trying to wipe every one out and shouting she needed to move onto the grass. She proceeded to swerve right, driving her buggy into the heel of the guy in front. He barely kept his feet. Dozy bint.
    Just another example of the day to day stupidity we face. I see a wide range of buggy runners and you have to trust that they use common sense, so if you are running about 20 minutes and start at the back and have to overtake hundreds of runners then that is way more dangerous than starting in an appropriate position but I often hear "will runners with dogs or buggies please start at the back and move through" 
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Nice one SQ!! It's great winning a road race. I won the Stevenage half in 74 odd once - but since the super shoes you are unlikely to win a decent half in that sort of time. Sounded like a measured win too.

Vapourfly on the track? I wouldn't as it just wouldn't feel right and you can wear trainers for 5 &10,000 with minimal support as the track is a bit more giving. Nike Dragonfly are spikes with decent support now too.

Unlucky with the footie SG - Sounds like a mare getting back. Good 3 pronged PR outing Reggie.

Trip to Brum to watch the Diamond league Saturday - enjoyed it. Keely Hodgkinson was amazing in the 800. Food and beer well overpriced sadly.

Down to Sutton Arena, South London yesterday for the 1500 in the Southern Athletics League for Herne Hill. Thought i'd up the first 800 to get some time off. So 400 was 67, and 800 reached in 2.18, lots better than the 2.32 earlier in the week. Was quite windy and warm but tried to hang on to 3rd, with the Kent 2nd claimer just behind me. Dug in and got to the bell on about 3.11. Sadly got passed with about 250 to go, but didn't fade too badly and ended up with 4.19.8 on watch..4.20.2 official time.

So 4.30, 4.28, 4.20 - hoping for a cooler evening 1500 next to get into the mid teens.
  • I see that Joe's other half had a good day out at Manchester. She has been a quality runner for quite a few years but seems to have moved up a gear this year. 

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Very impressive from Katie, especially in a big city event. She has made fantastic progress. 

You are chipping away nicely at the 1500, SC. Good commitment to get so many races in - a real positive of shorter track racing, I guess. I’m not sure there would necessarily be performance gains from VF on the track for me, especially not vs Dragonfly, it’s just I can’t quite see the logic of allowing them in road but not track. Wonder if it puts off some slower, less experienced track runners (me down, basically). 

Crazy hearing about the buggy runner at the front - and the advice to start at the back and move through. As a veteran of at least 100 parkbuggyruns, I’ve found it crucial to start in ‘the right spot’. Ie one they will enable the right pace from the off, more or less. In the current course, I also start very wide, probably technically off course, and then merge 200m in once things have calmed down a bit. 

BIG long run, Reg! Great idea to incorporate parkrun. 

With all the football and travel you’ve still managed a strong week, SG. 

Things don’t look so good for Bus 😞

Tired here. Recovery 4M on the trails at around 9:10 pace. Not much else on offer. Will postpone my usual Tuesday track by a day. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Ah no, bad to hear that for Bus. I don't necessarily scroll through Strava too often, as there's a little too much blaggery or people fooling themselves with stuff for my liking, so I'd not clocked it.

But if anyone deserves an injury free spell it's the big man Bus.

Nice to hear Katie is going well, but I'm really pleased to hear Joe sounds in a better place.

Feel a little coldy myself. Probably that busy week tipped me a little into rundowns ville. Will postpone any idea of efforts from tomorrow, and just run easy and hope it's a quick in and out of the sniffles/warm feeling.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Steady 2-3 miles to get the body temperature up is always good for a bit of a sniffle, SG.

SQ- There always seems to be something putting runners off track racing tbh - could be the boring angle, or that everyone that runs on a track 'Is a professional' ;) etc. Can see why, as you don't get many televised non championship track meetings. I think it's good for the mental strength angle too!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Excellent racing SQ. That’s a decent time on that course. Not surprised your legs were still complaining after all those ‘undulations’.
    Bit of a racing weekend myself but nothing to shout about. 
    Managed a 4s course PB at my local hilly parkrun Saturday. Rounded the day up to 15K with a hilly cool down.
    Sunday was the 1st Midland League meet. Not done one of these since May 2019 when I came away with nothing but a string of PWs. Shortly after that I virtually quit running for almost 4 months, other than a weekly parkrun. Pleased to report that I was marginally quicker over 800m, 200m, 400m & 5,000m, though still slower than 2018. Just the 2 PWs this time: 100m & 1500m though not raced a 1500m since 2018.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Every little helps Jools with the parkrun bests. 
    Embiggening the race total with that meet too!

10x200m off 60secs felt a perfect lighter sesh to dip back into while not 100% but not that far off.

Always have to disengage from track comparisons, as it's simply never going to be as fast on road routes, especially as I don't even pick a designated "fast" stretch to do them all up and back on.

Simply from the door, and a loop. Probably a decent sort of "real" sense to it, as you're bound to face slight ups and downs, changes in footing etc.

Wild range from a 34 to 38xx's. Decent though, and I'll probably do the 8x600m one on Friday.
    Last day of a 3 day online course today.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Power of 10 take a while these days don't they?
    Still haven't got Staines 10k onto people's profiles yet, by the Wed of the week after. It's been taken off provisional since end of last week.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Can't get the staff these days SG.

Good club man effort there Jools! Some real athletics eh ;)

8 x 800 on the Luton golf club paths last night, HAD to wear the Vapourfly again you understand to protect my bruised arse (which is getting better). Will be back on the NB Rebels next time.

Averaged about 2.30, slightly under for the last 4  - managed to stay ahead of our resident superstar 16 year old girl, I think only because of the clown shoes. Felt good though, things seem to be improving nicely..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I swear you spell it with the extra U to test who is pedantic Simon.
    I resisted the other 20 times you did it, but it's Vapor, not Vapour :)

Although maybe your version is different if it's arse related :D 
    Tidy paces as always, especially not on a track.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    An awful lot to catch up on on here! Some quality racing and training going on as usual, but top honours must go to SQ for the win!

As SG has alluded to, I'm bloody crocked again! 15 months on from the right hamstring and just getting back up to a decent batch of training and even looking forward to some racing, out of the blue the left hamstring has now decided to misbehave!  I'd had a slightly weird week or so, with some random pains in my legs after them feeling particularly fatigued (possibly post Lakes and sitting/driving related) and an abandonment in parkrun 2 weeks ago at Wendover (the downhills were just painful), but a few days off seemed to resolve that. Then, bam - hamstring went mid run last Thursday and not been able to run since then. It feels very much like the right one, but I hope not, given how long that took to get sorted properly. Hey ho, what can you do?  

Back on the bike again now. Having hardly ridden for months, yesterday's double bike commute was a bit of a sore arse job :blush:

And Nike may not spell it correctly SG, but they are Americans. Simon is correct to insist on the addition of a u :smiley:
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this Bus, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. I have a constant battle with my children to cleanse them of Americanisms, it's not cool  :).

Just easy running so far this week and chain gang on the bike last night.

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Oh no Bus! Sounds like my training partner's injury too. Hope it's not as bad as the other one.

SG - I'll have to call the Vapourfly from now on - I'm like Reggie with Americanisms...
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

A PB is impressive on your local course, Jools. How many times have you run it? An epic Sunday from you. Net faster and three years wiser – got to take that.

Nice short reps, SG. I here 8 x 600 are all the rage this week. I saw something on FB about Po10. That Tim Grose guy was saying it depends on the races themselves sending him the data in an acceptable format.

2:30s for 800 to just stay in front of a 16yo girl – blimey, SC, she is rapid!

Really sorry to read this, Bus. You were going well again. Hamstrings are right gits. Hope it makes some speedy progress.

Currently negotiating a couple of mornings a week for an early run, with some cracking weather for it today. Out the door at 5, one mile warm up, then 8 x laps of Grangefield Park, approx. 600m. Reasonably level, nice views, a few dogs to avoid but not too many and the owners were friendly.

Paces never going to be epic at that time of day, but managed some pleasing consistency: 2:08, 03, 05s for the rest. 60s static rest. GPS suggesting 5:45 pace for these, but suspect that is generous. Finished with a couple of miles around the poppy fields – cracking sunrise mist and colours going on. All in 7.2M at 7:10 average pace.  

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Sounds nice SQ. How hard is it to be able to run where the dogs aren't being walked? So frustrating. 

Yes very rapid! Going to be a great runner.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Only 5 officially SQ.  Mallard’s Pike only started on 31/8/19 but I didn’t run it til 29/2/20 when they ran it in reverse so they also made the course long. I went back a fortnight later & bagged a sub20. Last pre-CoViD parkrun. They weren’t able to start back til August ‘21 due to Forestry Commission dragging their heels. Run it 3 times this year & improved each time.
    Decent morning’s work.
    Did a hilly half marathon around the Wye Valley last night with my trig bagging mates. No trigs & nice easy pace but still very sweaty by the end.
    Track at lunchtime: 700m wu then a 5K as 13x200m hard off 200m easy(ish) roughly 45”/60” so 6:00/8:00 paces.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    8x600m for me then off 90secs on my loop.

2.02, 2.05, 2.00, 2.04, 1.59, 1.59, 2.02, 2.02

Get a bit of a mixed batch on road with the differences in footing / stuff you're looking out / turns etc.

One of the 1.59s had a very quick fire burst in front of a delivery van that had looked both ways on the road, but not down the pavement :D