Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Thanks Phil, a cheerful note to brighten our Monday  :D 

Funnily enough I cycled past a couple on Sunday, she's an elite marathoner (2:30) and he was topless too but he's got a more modest 76:xx HM. I almost never run without a shirt as I like to use it to wipe the sweat off.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

Haha TR, I know what you mean by rounding up. I used to be that runner, and probably still am, but this was me absolutely maximising every second of gymnastics drop off. Thought it would be poor form to leave my daughter waiting. That and I was knackered 😆. Sounds a great race for your - good stuff on the trophy and prize. Super hot weather definitely means a fair comparison isn’t really sensible. 

SG - epic weekend! Really enjoyed following along through FB, strava and now the reports. Great to see a thread meet up with Jools. Did the run/walk every 0.05M require much watch scanning, or more of a do it on feel job? Bet that banner was a challange 😆. And absolutely love you inadvertently picking a steeper race on the second day. The fell race sounds brilliant - I love that sort of variety for terrain, ages, everything. 

Super effort on the MV50 first place, Jools. And only right the fell race was a top off job. And brilliantly backed up at Llanthony and with the long run. In good nick!

Blimey, Reg. Nature watch is getting violent for you. Good routing on the fly for that kind of distance bike. 

Great fun had by PMJ and SC at the CWG by the looks of things. I had a ‘mare: first day of the holidays I muted our department WhatsApp, only to randomly check it on Saturday evening. I have missed out on free tickets to Sunday evening by only a couple of minutes. Gutted. 

Out to the grass track for the first tempo sandwich of the plan. Conversion from 12 mins, 5 x 2, 12.

2M tempo (6;17, 6:18)

5 x 400 at 5k pace (88, 88, 86, 88, 89)

2M tempo (6:26, 6:28)

Really fun session, and the grass track was very firm underfoot. Slightly overcooked things not to be able to hold the same tempo pace at the end, but not disastrously. 

Slightly generous GPS for 10.7M at 6:41 pace. 

Lovely 11C no sadly so excuse to go shirtless. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice 20 SQ and top job on the tough ten trail V50 TR.

Cracking double SG (and treble Jools!!!). Good to see you have popped your fell cherry :smiley:  Quality reports as well.

That's just slightly depressing Philip!

14M hilly for me yesterday, so back up to decent long run length at last! Must be time for an injury 🤣
  • Reg Wand said:
    Thanks Phil, a cheerful note to brighten our Monday  :D 
    The Bus said:
    That's just slightly depressing Philip!
    My comment was neither supposed to be upbeat nor downbeat, just an observation.

I tend to notice these things at a generational level. I was born in 1965 and moved to High Wycombe in 1995 when I was 30 with a couple of young kids and my Dad came down and together we painted rooms and refitted kitchens in the house we bought "in need of improvement". We took our kids to see our grandparents (their great-grandparents, we had 5 between me and my wife). Now, everything has moved on: our kids are approaching 30 and we are helping them do up houses and I have a grandchild and he has seen his 3 great-grandparents and I assume that in about 30 years' time he will be setting up home and I will have moved from paintbrush wielding (but can't touch my toes) grandparent to even less mobile great-grandparent. 

Yes, in some ways it is depressing to say 30 years and counting but in other ways, it is about making the best of those remaining years.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Fair play for doing both of those SG, they are both well away from paces, splits etc that i usually associate you with

Reg - you did well to avoid a serious crash

SQ - still good paces in that session, nicely ahead of mp, so decent stuff.

Getting back to higher mileage Bus
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Phil's certainly right on trying to make the most of things.
    A pal from primary school passed away recently, and I watched her funeral online this morning. Even having only seen her once in 30 years it was still a real out of the blue shocker, as I'll always associate those years 5 - 12 at primary school with a brilliant tight knit class of pals. Whereas secondary school was a massive downer of a time, in general.

TR - that's what road running is really - rhythm, zones, and knowing what you're aiming for.
    Offroad a different game, and fell an even more different one!

The front 6 did get disqualified in the end, so myself and Jools were bumped up into the top 7 :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - time to start thinking races again maybe, after a few years with so few?
    I'll suggest a couple off thread that might suit :)

SQ - I kept decently to the 0.05m steps. I think it worked better than other years, where I found it particularly hard to motivate to get going once I'd resorted to power walking.

Just so glad I got back there, and didn't leave it on an underwhelming note in 2019.
    Good sesh, and there's always a reason to go shirtless, although I find I do it a bit less than I used to - when I'd truly be shirt off at any excuse, even in the rain once!

After having so many options of races to decide from this week, I think I might sack all of them off. BP tonight, Wed 5k and Dashers Thur relays, and concentrate on getting untight, and getting a few runs and recovery bits in pre Sunday's 10k.

I did really want to get a fast 5k or 2 in, but I think it's 28 or so degrees this midweek anyway which won't have helped.
    Will have find an option the other side of this weekend, maybe even a Runthrough BP or Dorney if nothing better is out there.
  • I was just looking at predicted race paces via WAVA and I had forgotten how gradually they tail off, so my best 5k of this year so far is 21:36 which is 6:57 pace but that predicts a 10 mile at 7:15 pace which just doesn't feel that much easier at all: that is 3 5ks at 22:32 pace plus the last k. 

00:21:36 00:06:57 5k
    00:35:22 00:07:04 5mi
    00:44:13 00:07:07 10k
    01:12:33 00:07:15 10mi
    01:36:02 00:07:20 Half
    02:30:18 00:07:31 20mi
    03:22:14 00:07:43 Mara

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    At least you get a generous 23 seconds from 5k to HM at your age.

At 40, a 17.16 5k, was 79.39%, yet the equivalent HM Wava is 4 seconds under my 75.41 HM pb!
    That's 5.33 versus 5.46 which is an insane 13seconds difference.

I can't imagine anyone thinks a 17.16 is an equivalent performance to 75.37, and I can't believe there are many runners capable of a 75.37 HM who can't blow the pants off a 17.16 5k.

Clearly at 40 you're judged as having a decent handicap versus youngsters, but much less of one at a HM.

• Great reports SG and Jools. Not got much time as work crap but have read all posts. Good repping and poignant thoughts from PMJ.

Bit manic at the moment, Did the Bearbrook 10k on Sunday morning. Pretty warm amd the course isn't perfect but not too bad. It's a slight incline for 6k from Aylesbury to the arse end of Wendover..then 4k slightly downhill through Halton and back to the finish. the winner (2nd claim LBAC) went off like a rocket and did 33.55 odd. I was in the group behind and pulled away from them very slowly until I was clear (I thought!) by 5k. 

Got caught up and passed on 7k by a Bearbrook runner - but stayed relatively close and came back past on 8.5k and stayed in front..with one of those races with the last 500m on a rugby field.  

Anyway, 1st V50 and 2nd overall with 35.31. About a minute down on what I ought to be doing, being fitter and cooler weather would help. But £15 and a bottle of wine for the team prize was welcome.

Up the CWG for the Sunday afternoon session - hoping for a medal for HHH's Katie Snowden..not to be, but she ran well. Really enjoyed the other races and the commonwealth Javelin record below us.

Lords last night to watch the hundred - in the sun for quite a while! Good fun though..
  • Stevie G said:
    At 40, a 17.16 5k, was 79.39%, yet the equivalent HM Wava is 4 seconds under my 75.41 HM pb!

You are seeing the difference between a 5k where the open standard applies to anyone up to 27 years old (and at 40 you have to match 94.5%) and the half marathon where the open standard carries on until you reach 31 (and at 40 you have to match 97.25%). Basically, you are more of a vet over 5k than you are over the half. 
  • SCoombes2 said:
    Lords last night to watch the hundred - in the sun for quite a while! Good fun though..
    Do you get to pick your seats? Over the years I have been going to Wimbledon to watch tennis I have gotten to know which stands have shade at what time of the day so now pick the right ones. At the CWG we got assigned seats by the ballot but were lucky and were in the north stand so had shade whereas the south stand seemed to be facing the sunshine until very late. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Stevie G said:

You are seeing the difference between a 5k where the open standard applies to anyone up to 27 years old (and at 40 you have to match 94.5%) and the half marathon where the open standard carries on until you reach 31 (and at 40 you have to match 97.25%). Basically, you are more of a vet over 5k than you are over the half. 
    Exactly. 
    Looking at your scale of progression up the distances, it actually looks along the lines Moz would use for setting zones.

That 23 secs you describe between 5k and HM almost matches my achieved results in 2022 to the second too.
    17.16 - 5.33
    1.17.54 - 5.57

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Simon - saw that result and thought it's a tasty runner who takes 2mins out of you!
  • SCoombes2 said:
    Do you get to pick your seats? Over the years I have been going to Wimbledon to watch tennis I have gotten to know which stands have shade at what time of the day so now pick the right ones. At the CWG we got assigned seats by the ballot but were lucky and were in the north stand so had shade whereas the south stand seemed to be facing the sunshine until very late. 
    I'll know now! Even the other side of  the media centre would have been better! CWG was ok, just a bit high tbh.

SG - Yeah SB's a decent runner, really strong. We're better matched over shorter distances, like to think I could get closer over 10k on another day..
  • Great racing SC, and good to see you enjoying some more love sport. Certainly the summer for it. 

Interesting to see the WAVA conversion chat  my PBS, set when 36 were 17:36 and 78:54, so certainly not the conversion suggested. But I suppose the reality depends on modes of training etc  

Very early start yesterday morning in order to fit in a long run before a family day trip to the big smoke. 

20M with a bit of progression in the second half, 7:19 average pace with a total of 470ft ascent, mostly in the first half. 

Really nice to get out early for a sunrise and do quite enjoy it when no one is around - especially charging down the Promenade in town. Great way to beat the heat as well. 

Legs had had enough by 18.5M, although perhaps not surprising with a 6:42 mile dropped in towards the end. 

Globe Theatre, Tate Modern and some sightseeing from the Southbank then followed. Good times 😊 

• Sorequads said: 

Very early start yesterday morning in order to fit in a long run before a family day trip to the big smoke. 

20M with a bit of progression in the second half, 7:19 average pace with a total of 470ft ascent, mostly in the first half.  

Strava says 4:29 which is ridiculously early! SG would have to be up the day before to start a run at that time. I guess you are pretty much up and out? It looks like a well constructed 20 with a definite pick up of the pace towards the end and those sort of runs that are a good investment come the big day. 

I was (unexpectedly) out earlyish this morning thinking that in the winter you can always add layers but the summer really is a bugger if you have to do a long one. 

I went to donate blood yesterday and they refused to take my blood: my haemoglobin level was 134 g/l and you can't donate below 135 g/l. It all seems a bit daft as I have given blood for years and never had any ill effects but it does mean I don't have to take a few days off. Anyone else have low iron levels? We have adopted a diet with less meat (so no meat about 3 times a week and when we have meat it is in smaller portions) so maybe I need supplements. Looking online they vary from 3p a tablet to about 40p (branded special iron for women but the analysis looks identical).

I volunteered for parkrun on Saturday as Event Day Course Checker (which means running the course before parkrun to check it is still there!) and the plan was to do that and then parkrun itself slowly post-donation. With the heat forecast it is probably best not to push too hard.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Sorequads said: 

Strava says 4:29 which is ridiculously early! SG would have to be up the day before to start a run at that time. I guess you are pretty much up and out? It looks like a well constructed 20 with a definite pick up of the pace towards the end and those sort of runs that are a good investment come the big day. 

I was (unexpectedly) out earlyish this morning thinking that in the winter you can always add layers but the summer really is a bugger if you have to do a long one. 

I went to donate blood yesterday and they refused to take my blood: my haemoglobin level was 134 g/l and you can't donate below 135 g/l. It all seems a bit daft as I have given blood for years and never had any ill effects but it does mean I don't have to take a few days off. Anyone else have low iron levels? We have adopted a diet with less meat (so no meat about 3 times a week and when we have meat it is in smaller portions) so maybe I need supplements. Looking online they vary from 3p a tablet to about 40p (branded special iron for women but the analysis looks identical).

I volunteered for parkrun on Saturday as Event Day Course Checker (which means running the course before parkrun to check it is still there!) and the plan was to do that and then parkrun itself slowly post-donation. With the heat forecast it is probably best not to push too hard.

Low iron levels Phil? Yes, that was me a while back. 

I'd had a blood test and the GP declared my iron levels really low. Haematocrit number was something like 36. At the time I felt I wasn't going too bad on the bike. I could always feel a big effort going say, up Whiteleaf hill where it hits 17% gradient. But I put that down to age. 

When I stopped running I was about 7 min mile pace, HR 150's while blowing hard. It was an effort.

I was put on iron tablets for six months. Reading at the end was 47. From an athletic point of view, the effects were staggering. The general oxygen debt I used to get has been reduced to a few seconds under the heaviest loads. Power output is up 20% for a given HR. I have the numbers via a power meter to prove it. 

Just prior to my operation (two weeks ago today) the Garmin had my VO2 Max at 77.0

I've given going back to running some thought. However, the lack of elasticity in my structures rules against. I'm fit enough, but that lack of youthful bounce is an issue. I don't have that problem on the bike. Tbf, I'm way better on a bike than I was a runner. That's due to bio-mechanics. Runners who could lap me on a 5000m track race couldn't get near me on two wheels. Horses for courses I guess.

The operation? Glad I was race fit before that one. Five days in hospital. Left with just one of the many drains I had still in place. Five days later I'd had enough of it and took it out. Recovering really fast. But no heavy lifting allowed for a few weeks due to hernia risks. 

No strain riding the indoor bike, but I've no interest in cycling outside. Too risky. My current condition doesn't allow for a crash/impact. 

Apart from that, good luck to all on the thread. 

🙂

• RicF said:
    I've given going back to running some thought. However, the lack of elasticity in my structures rules against. I'm fit enough, but that lack of youthful bounce is an issue. I don't have that problem on the bike. Tbf, I'm way better on a bike than I was a runner. That's due to bio-mechanics. Runners who could lap me on a 5000m track race couldn't get near me on two wheels. Horses for courses I guess.

The operation? Glad I was race fit before that one. Five days in hospital. Left with just one of the many drains I had still in place. Five days later I'd had enough of it and took it out. Recovering really fast. But no heavy lifting allowed for a few weeks due to hernia risks. 

No strain riding the indoor bike, but I've no interest in cycling outside. Too risky. My current condition doesn't allow for a crash/impact. 

Take it easy for a while Ric: reading between the lines it seems you dodged a big one there and those sort of things go deep and take a long time to get over. 

I pity the cycling community if you reckon you are better on the bike and enter a few races or time trials: you were (are? hard to know what tense to use and not sound morbid) more than a decent runner.
  • Cheers SQ - Thats a hardcore day - London is tiring enough without a 20 miler before.

I did that in Berlin training - warm 20 miler, then a hot walk for 35 mins to the station to watch Bmth's first away win in the PL (4-3 at West Ham), getting baked in the away end at the time! 

Slept well that night....
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    SCoombes2 said:
     It's a slight incline for 6k from Aylesbury to the arse end of Wendover....

I'll try not to take offence  on behalf of my new home  🤣
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    RicF said:

Take it easy for a while Ric: reading between the lines it seems you dodged a big one there and those sort of things go deep and take a long time to get over. 

I pity the cycling community if you reckon you are better on the bike and enter a few races or time trials: you were (are? hard to know what tense to use and not sound morbid) more than a decent runner.
    Cheers Phil. Certainly dodged one there. Just wondered if you got the message I sent you via this site? Gory details included. Most forgotten by me already. 

Time trials appeal Phil. In 2005 I did a 25 miler in the Great Missenden area clocking 63:01. That was on a road bike with clip on bars. My cycling training then was minimal. Before the op, the numbers indicated I could beat that time. So, join a club? and get a purpose built TT bike? I'll see how things pan out.

In the meantime I've treated myself to some top notch cycle shoes. Bearing in mind they are just clamped to the pedals, I hadn't given them much consideration. On that basis, everything I've achieved lately was when wearing about the cheapest shoes going. 

However, I didn't pay top notch price, getting 42% off. Still pricey but these shoes are strange inasmuch as replacement parts are available. Cycle shoes last forever anyway.

🙂

• RicF said:

Cheers Phil. Certainly dodged one there. Just wondered if you got the message I sent you via this site? Gory details included. Most forgotten by me already. 

I did get the message. 

I think all the TT courses are numbered and catalogued somewhere, Reg will probably know. When I did a bit of cycling many years ago, sub hour for 25 was always a good benchmark. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done in the 10k simon, good to be back in action.

SQ - wow, that was a long day. Cracking dedication to the long run and family time. Not sure how you managed that day out after a 20m at early oclock.

Ric - good that your surgery went well, all the best with the recovery, and the biking.
  • Good luck with the recovery, Ric. 

TR, PMJ - 0430 obviously an early start, but not drastically so with children’s current wake up times in the 5-6 zone. Definitely an up and out job though, I reckon about four minutes to down a couple of pints of water, check blood sugar level and put on the kit stashed by the back door. Morning ablutions can be felt with a couple of miles later and even keen enough to have put on nipple plasters the night before 😆. 

PMJ - so did they blood donation place check your iron levels or was this from a previous blood test? I too was labelled anaemic a couple of years ago. Some of the research I did led me to eating liver or kidney once or twice a week. Definitely felt better for it, and quite enjoyed it fried up with some eggs. The critical thing, according to what I read anyway, is to avoid any caffeine consumption around the time of ingesting the iron - it is a blocker. Well done on the parkrun volunteering. 

Couple of recovery runs today. Pleasant one at 7am in about 19C. Lunchtime supermarket jog felt horrendously sticky. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Or eat more meat  :)

There's the CTT website that has all the timetrial info on it, all with weird and wonderful code names https://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/

Hope you're recovering well Ric, maybe you will be fit in time for the hill climbing season in the autumn, I would imagine you're purpose built for going uphill.

Tried some speed work yesterday and started a pyramid of 1,2,3,4 minutes with 50% recovery at easy pace, plan was to do 2 sets for 20 minutes of threshhold but on the second set my hamstring just went on the 2 minute rep. Sharp pain and that immediate attempt to come to a stop without using the lame leg! This presented a problem as I was getting on for 3 miles from home in 30c and ironically, given recent comments, I was topless having discarded my running vest after the first set. So I limped back a mile to retrieve my top before hobbling another 2 miles home. At least I had actually put sun cream on, not something I always do.

Iced it about 4 times yesterday and there doesn't appear to be any bruising yet so I am hoping it's closer to a grade 1 than a grade 2. Probably looking at a few weeks before I 'should' be back running.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:

There's the CTT website that has all the timetrial info on it, all with weird and wonderful code names https://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/

Hope you're recovering well Ric, maybe you will be fit in time for the hill climbing season in the autumn, I would imagine you're purpose built for going uphill.

Tried some speed work yesterday and started a pyramid of 1,2,3,4 minutes with 50% recovery at easy pace, plan was to do 2 sets for 20 minutes of threshhold but on the second set my hamstring just went on the 2 minute rep. Sharp pain and that immediate attempt to come to a stop without using the lame leg! This presented a problem as I was getting on for 3 miles from home in 30c and ironically, given recent comments, I was topless having discarded my running vest after the first set. So I limped back a mile to retrieve my top before hobbling another 2 miles home. At least I had actually put sun cream on, not something I always do.

Iced it about 4 times yesterday and there doesn't appear to be any bruising yet so I am hoping it's closer to a grade 1 than a grade 2. Probably looking at a few weeks before I 'should' be back running.

Unfortunately Reg it looks like another hill climbing season will pass without me. Happened last year after the crash which broke bones I didn't know about. Still, under the circumstances it's a minor issue.

I'm lucky in that I still have a (half size) working pancreas. The operation could have resulted in it's total loss. That would have made me diabetic. Even then I wouldn't be complaining. I believe our man TR has this to deal with, so would have been my example to follow. 

Hopefully your hamstring pull isn't. I used to get these 'un-sticking' of jammed up muscle moments myself on occasions. Same sort of conditions and application of effort. I imagine it was the system just expanding and pinging a few glued up fibres apart. Feels like a real injury which mysteriously disappears by the next day.
    That said, you'll probably say you're now in traction.

As for general comments of mine on this thread. Having recently seen the effects of drugs on people's mental and physical faculties. One shouldn't be too convinced one is in total control of oneself at all times by sheer force of will. There's my excuse. Bar that, I've more or less cancelled myself. I might make a comment but only if these criteria are met:

Is it true?
    Has the comment a moral aspect to it?
    Will it help?

That's the standard I now adhere to. Power to the thread. 

🙂

• Reg Wand said:
    I'm off to the US for a week at the end of August and will certainly do that. I have no moral problems with eating meat: give me a live animal or fish and I will dispatch and prepare it but it does seem we are moving that way generally: our kids eat a lot less meat than we did. 

Hope your hammy is a minor setback.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope the hammy heals quick Reg, maybe get some physio on it when its settled to get rid of any scar tissue

Ric - not me, you mean SQ. He deals with it and still runs well, a great advert for dealibg with it and still performing at a high level in endurance sport.

Hadnt done a long run for a couple of weeks due to.going away and racing, so did 20m this morning which was a toughie, was 29 degrees when i finished at 10.45. Should have gone out at SQ- oclock.
  • Bus - No worries, it's a lovely place...perhaps not in a warm 10k!

Reg - Hope the Hammy gets better soon. 

Just a steady session last night over the track by me - was at 7pm and not that hot until you stopped and got sweaty. With the LBAC mob, it was 400,800,1200,800,400 pyramid off 2 mins. Kept it to 80's or under.

Train strike tomorrow so we are driving to Mill Hill, doing the parkrun there, then i'm getting the tube to Tooting Bec as I have a 1500m for HHH in the SAL, the other 2 are off to Thurrock. The kids meeting at Bedford on Sunday has been cancelled as they were worried about the officials overheating.