Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    SG - nice reps. I found it surprisingly windy today (gazebo ended up next door!!). It looks like we'll possibly be at Aldershot but not confirmed yet - majority shout is heading that way though.

18 today. Longest since Manchester and just wanted some time on feet so got 14 @ 8:03, before easing to 7:38 for the next 3, and finishing with the last @ 7:04. Felt a flipping long way so work to be done on that front.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Good work on the 18. I don't think I've ever finished a 15/16 and thought "I fancied more there", so i'm sure that's plenty!

Hopefully Dachs is involved and keen for your relay and in general.
    Last time I saw him he was making noises about possibly dropping down to running for fun again if he couldn't re-hit the heights he'd seen before.
    Told him that'd be a right waste, but I've learnt many a time with pals in the past you can't be their motivation - it's a very personal thing.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Good session SG, do you have more 5k and 10k races planned in the rest of the summer?.........i know that some training days can be a chore, long and medium runs for me sometimes esp weekday mediums in the cold/dark, but unless anyone is making a living out of this and doesnt have any fun (but does it for good money), then they are in the wrong hobby if its not fun, even at sub elite level?......but i guess you mean how much time someone is prepared to sacrifice on a hobby?

Well done TT, 18 is a flipping long way

Ive finished plenty of long runs thinking i need to go a bit further next time (and the next time after that).

Few more 10s this week, but 5m today as couple of easy days before IoW 1/2 on sunday. Body is a bit out of whack with a neck, shoulder, back, hip thing on my left side, probably the usual lower back sciatica type issues being the cause.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    TR - I need to plot some races. Some for time, some for pots, some for interest would be a good mix.

I suppose I was meaning an example of an old pal who used to join me for a lot of races, and fell out of it nearly totally.  A real shame, but I learnt you can't transfer your passion onto someone else if they don't quite have it. 

Totally different to me mentioning Dachs above - he's totally driven, you could almost say he makes me look a fair weather casual :D 
    But I suppose while I'm happy competing at the level I do today, he has his top level, and that's his standard, and if he's off that he's not happy.

Good luck for Sunday - at least with the weather, which we all know can easily make or break things!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - that'd be a good mix.......Dachs is still youngish, but i know a few folks who dont like slowing down as they get older and so step away or ease off, im getting there but am clinging on to marathon times, and the odd AG prize......IoW is low pressure, its a late start (11.30 to allow travel time), hilly and has a couple of miles of gravel path, but will be a decent workout 6 wks before london.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    18 is rarely going to feel short TT!

Hope the sciatic issue eases TR and good luck tomorrow.

Thought I'd get back to some sort of racing, so did the Wendover Woods parkrun this morning - yay!  Actually managed a course PB (by 1 sec!!!) for 21:09 and 4th. First parkrun since I DNF'd in early May.  I actually felt reasonably good, but the last half of this course is always painful with around 360ft of climbing on a loose and gravelly surface.

The guy in third overtook me on the first downhill and looked to be carrying a bit of extra weight, so I thought I'd catch him on the climb, but never did and he put a minute into me. Speaking to him at the end, he said he rarely runs and hadn't run at all for the last two weeks.   Chatted for a bit more, mainly with me saying how quick he was for someone who barely runs, and then he dropped in that he used to be a pro triathlete in Mexico  🤣
  • As ever, I’m impressed with your paces for a road session, SG. ‘Real world’ running like this must help with confidence going into a road race. 

Always good to read of a return to racing, TT. Inspirational. Abingdon for me (and Tr and Jools). Can we tempt you? With an 18 you are well on the way!

Good luck for the IoW, TR. 

Great effort on the parkrun, PB, Bus. Very pleasing. Are you sure your competitor wasn’t Reg in disguise? If anyone can smash out some fast times on less running…

Kept my usual Wednesday early morning long in place, tacking on a little more than last time to make 22M in 2:45. No quality in there, but a solid enough effort with 900ft ascent. Some lovey Cotswold villages to the south of Bredon Hill kept things aesthetically pleasing. Then broke all the rules and did a recovery double 3M later that afternoon a good 2m/m slower of course. 

Riverside trail recovery in Worcester once the majority of Thursday’s results day work was in hand, before a very tired 5M yesterday afternoon. 

Felt a bit more sprightly today so enjoyed parkrun at tempo effort. Tempo is a heck of a lot easier with some company, and in turn it is a lot more pleasant than an all out parkrun. 19:26 on the newish and relatively hilly summer course. Should probably have another full on crack, but then again I might only gain a few seconds and that would disabuse me of the notion that fitness is coming 😆

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bus - take the positives, a course pb is decent.

SQ - big day that, bodes well, youre in good shape already.

IoW 1/2. Neck, hip thing was manageable, but tummy was a bit off and I felt a bit weak, maybe due to 11.30 start. So took a gel at start and one at 6m. In 2019 i did 1.27.38 and went on to run 2.55 at Abo and 81 at Gosport, so 1.27 seemed a decent target. With loads of hills and about 3m of stoney paths this race comes out around mp and is tough due to all the hills, so whilst you could run quicker at times, im not sure it'd improve your finish time.......anyway 1.26.45 for 16th and 1st M50 (and m55), 3m wu and 2m wd, so decent run.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Sounds a decent day's work TR, and another pot?
    6mins or so is a huge difference in times isn't it, but as per your 2019 comparison looks a good effort.

11.30 is a bit of a no man's land start time, although I quite like 11ams for XC races.

13 for me today. I wouldn't say sluggish itself, but I suppose it's those summer long ones where you're not particularly aiming at longer runs, interspersing shorter races that can feel a bit of a not hassle, but not fully up for.

Started with an 8min mile on the flat, and 7.41 average in the end, although there were two 200 feet climb miles in there.

Did treat myself to a 20 or so second pee break.
    I mention it as I've noticed a really weird theme with loads of runners at my club of having these weird 7-12 min stop times on their longer runs.

They can't all be anomalies, so I assume a lot just like to stop and admire the scenery on route?

Funny week this week, Monday normal, then a 3 day course midweek. Online, but they tend not to give you 1hour lunches, so may have to do doubles after work - which is ok as a change, then a classic F OFF!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Sounds like a good run there TR, based on your target. Lots of long runs too, that's some day of running SQ and a solid 18 TT.

Good to see a return to 'racing' for Bus too, you can't expect to take down a triathlete :-)

I am not sure I understand the concept of dropping down to run for fun, re the Dachs conversation! I only run for fun as it is.

Hence, I've not had much fun recently. Two days after the hamstring tear I went to Pembrokeshire for a week and I didn't take a bike and couldn't run so it was a week of complete rest. The hamstring has healed remarkably quickly, or at least I think it has. I still have back and hamstring tendinopathy issues but the acute injury I suffered seems to be pain free, given I could not even walk properly for the first few days, I am pleasantly surprised.

I trotted out an easy 5k this morning, will keep it easy for a few weeks whilst I work on rehab stuff for the hammy,

Also got out on the bike on Sunday for 90 minutes, I overtook several Muslim women doing an event on the local time trial circuit, I only mention this to get some reader tension on what's coming next  :D. I had to chuckle though, as although they had all their race numbers on just like any other timetrial, it was pinned to their traditional get-up  :)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Phew. The thread lawyers were getting worried there for a second.
    Quick in and out from me.

8x600m off 90secs, road as usual.

2.08,2.05, 2.04, 2.07, 2.01, 2.03, 2.05, 2.02

No consistency on those reps :D 
    But that can happen on road reps. Probs the right effort level.

I think the road efforts works best on that 5.40-6.15 sort of pace, and anything quicker is probably best on the track, but just so much more time efficient this way.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - yeah, it is, but I remember the days when a 20+ wouldn't cost me a thought. Missed the pot part of IoW on sub-3. Nice bonus there!

SG - Dachs has put down some promising results in the last few months since, and including, MK, so I'd say he'll probably be up for relays. Having said that I can identify with the idea of 'fun-running' if unable to compete at previous levels - I considered it last year but figured I have at least one more sub-2:30 in my legs, which was one of 3 reasons to swing it for me to keep going.
    I always run to effort, particularly with road reps - too many variables to expect consistency.

Bus - well done on the parkrun course pb! And lol with the triathlete!

SQ - big day doubling up with a long run, and nice parkrun tempo. I'm not intending to go above 18 for a while, and Abo is the week after GSR.

Reg - totally agree on it all being fun, but I think the difference in that scenario (focused vs fun running) for me would be taking any structure out of my training and doing less. Good to hear you're recovering well. Fingers crossed you're back fun running soon ;)

Finished off last week with a 54min acceleration run (5 x 10mins going from 7:32 - 6:17 + the last 4 @ 5:54) on Saturday which was hard on heavy legs after the 18. It was enough to give me 70 for the week though which I'll take for now.
    Started this week with a 3m jog/Aussie Quarters double. Eased through the Quarters (need to do this on track in future instead of a poorly chosen road route) covering the 4.8k in 18:07, so a marker for future attempts when I do it at the prescribed efforts.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - agreed on the road efforts, it's about the effort and then move on. Shorter stuff or sessions like TTs Deeks qtrs probably needs a repeatable route too.

Reg - good news on the hammy, Pembrokeshire is a great place. Fair play to those ladies they face a lot of obstacles to take part in sports.

TT - reckon that's my prizes done for the year, my next races are London, abo and Gosport which are 3 wks apart and I'll be wrecked by the end of that 3.

5m yday and legs were feeling ok so declared it time to get some marathon work in with 15m today but the legs did groan in the last few miles, dont feel smoked though so hopefully Sunday was nearer mp.
  • Hi Chaps -

Had a read through, good training going on, good race from TR and good parkrun at WW Bus!

Been off work for a week, went down to Poole to see the folks, so a few nice runs to the beach, plus an 8 x 1k in the rec next to my parent's house and some reps on the shoreline which really helped the ankle (plus wearing the old Takumi Sen on the K reps), so the daily swelling is going down and it's nearly there.

Back home Friday, off to our NENDY Parkrun (nearest not done) which was Church Mead, Amersham. Pretty hilly, did 21.xx for 5th, with a V55 in front of me. Took it steady due to the 3,000M to follow on the Sunday.

3,000m at Bedford in the NAL went ok. Combined both matches, so there was about 30 of us and a break after 100m for us at the higher start line. Managed to get together without anyone falling over! Generally went ok as it was a bit breezy and quite warm...plus the hard Bedford track..

Think it was 3.03 for the first K, then 3.12 for the 2nd and 3.05 for the last for a 9.20.7 Moved past about 4/5 people and was 3rd in my race (well down overall as the winner did 8.35). Getting there I suppose, I have entered the 1500m and 3,000m on Wednesday at Watford. the 3k time got me 4th V50 on PO10 this year, if I can get sub 9.19 it gets me up to 2nd.

9 yesterday - 5k plus a few strides today.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers re the parkrun comments chaps!

That sounds like a very strong half TR given the nature of the course! Well done on hoovering up the vet results too!

Don't need to take down the triathletes Reg - you guys tend to take yourselves down 🤣 Glad to see you are getting running again though - fingers crossed things are on the mend.

Solid progress on the 3000m by the look of it Simon?

Those look like sharp road reps SG, but can't do the maths properly on 600s!

Just 12 for me on Sunday as I'm not used to an LSR the day after an effort!  It felt pretty hard work too! Paddle boarding Monday (day off) and double commute yesterday, which is beginning to be a bit of a pattern.  I have been running the morning one as a progression and add a loop at the start to make it 10k exactly. It works quite well as it is very slightly downhill all the way, with a bit of an actual downhill right at the start (before I'm warmed up and able to take advantage!).   The downside is that the run home, on tired legs, is slightly uphill the whole way, with a steepish climb right at the end! Good for mental toughness I guess! Last night felt pretty dire with the heat and humidity thrown in 😁 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - best not to, as 1.20 is 400, so 2.00 is a decent track 600, so up to 2.08 is like a what's going on here job :)

But the range shows you can't get too hung up on road reps that aren't the same flat road section.

Love that you're back to the doubles - time for some races soon :)

Some of these morning runs feel a right old sweat at the moment. I have to remind myself is the conditions, not me being clattered, as I've raced well recently.
    I'd always take say 30 degrees, low humidity over way lower temp and high humidity, or dew point I should say, any day.

Did have a look at the Hyde Park 5k lunchtime Fri as i'm off work, but to be honest after a 3 day training course, it looks more of a hassle than a nice relaxed wake up and my own run / sesh.

Any recommendations for future races will be listened to though.

Will do a couple of local ones in the autumn, and one of the big 10mile races, plus probably a xc or 2, but apart from that, it's open for the rest of 2022.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Is the South Bucks 10k happening this year? I've found a date of 7th October, but the website isn't working.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    I'd imagine that's a certain no.
    Last race 2018, so looked to have gone to the wall pre pandemic. Not in RB fixtures either.

They haven't even got the Burnham 10k updated yet, 10 days on, or the Murder Mile from a week previously.
    There's certainly a real backlog and slow down these days.

I wonder if they get parkruns up quicker, and if so, maybe races could do worse than use the same tech, as that seems to bypass delays?
  • Weather is disgusting at thge moment. Couldn't believe how sweaty I was at the station this morning.

God i'm desperate for a  cool breeze...
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    SC - right there with you on the weather. Nice 3km (and ranking). Strictly speaking I don't count for the rankings (seems slightly daft as I've lived here longer than I lived in Ireland), but looking at it as 'all-comers' I'm currently 10th v45 for the Marathon. With the autumn marathons still to come that won't be the case by year end.

SG - there seems to be a dearth of 10km races around this area at the moment. I've entered a MT one starting and finishing at a local brewery just for a burn up (and beer). We're a definite for Aldershot.

TR - I can't remember if Abingdon do prizes anyway - I've got no recollection of picking up anything when I ran it before anyway.

Very easy 12 yesterday. Slightly more comfortable than last week's 12m. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Is that near Windsor TT?
    I'm sure a couple of our lot did one sounding along those lines last year.

I did a good flat 10k in Southend many years ago - that still exists. Probably a bit of a haul.
    Classic coast peril though of every chance of picking wind up.

There was also a weird quirk that you turn off a road late on, there's a clock, utterly pointlessly placed about 200m from the actual finish! That was bizarre.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Simon - good that the ankle is freeing up, nearly back to it fully. Good target toget top 2 in the rankings.

Bus - you are going well, hopefully the paddling is helping you longer term.

SG - there's a 5m soon at overton that is the first race of the Hants season, it supposed to be sharpish.

8m today, pretty sweaty as others have said. Tomorrow mornings run will be wet but from the rain (same as yday here).
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    SG - no, Reading centre. Same crowd who were giving out free beer after Wokingham (plus I've been to the brewery a few times).

Going to be proper wet here too today TR. Lovely stuff!

Bit of a sh!t track session last night. I've had a few rough days so only turned up because Jr, plus a mate who is rejoining us, were turning up. In contrast to last week, where I was cruising at 76s/lap pace, 80s/lap pace felt just wrong/uncoordinated. Dropped out after the 600 in the first set, but then rejoined with Jr.

Ended up with : 1m (5:22), 800 (2:39), 600 (2:01)
    800 (2:52), 600 (2:10), 400 (79), 200 (32) + the 4 x 100m as 2 laps of 'straights' (hitting around 15s +/- for the 100s).

Definitely a day where just turning up was a win in itself.
  • SC - agreed with the weather. So humid. 9:20 seems a strong result (and unimaginably fast!). Well done. 

TT - wow, 10th v45 for the marathon is some going. Shame about the track, but some days always better than others. As you say, still got out there. 

You are building nicely, Bus. The core from paddle boarding early paying off!

TR that is an excellent result at IoW on a tough course. You should go very well at London off that. I’m just hoping London takes it all out of you and then I can piggy back off you at the perfect pace at Abingdon 😉. 

SG - I don’t reckon a 7 second swing on those road reps is a massive swing, so many factors in the mix. 

Reg is back 😆. Good news on the hamstring front.

A couple of good runs to report on: Monday’s fourth session of the plan was a conversion of 10 x 5 minutes, starting at MP and getting slightly quicker, off 1 minute jog, with a 2 minute jog at half way. Converted to 10 x 1200 on the grass track, off 200 jogs. Love this kind of zone. 6:40 pace for the first five, and then progressed to 6:30 and a little below for the last couple. These speeds were track based so accurate, but the overall 12.65M at 6:50 average is definitely GPS generous. 

Knackered recovery pootle Tuesday at over 9m/m. 

Long run early Wednesday morning. Picked a lovely route I ran a few years ago, giving a satisfying loop through the Cotswolds to the east of Cheltenham. Completely underestimated/misremembered how hilly it was! 2126 feet ascent, and I was really hanging on…with about 8M to go 😆. 23.7M, 7:50 average for a long long of 3h05. 

Trying a slightly different training model this time - going for more and longer time on feet whilst there is a bit more leeway in the holidays. Once term starts again, I will incorporate more MP in some relatively shorter long runs just to be a little more time efficient. This will mean a long gap from my longest run to the marathon itself, but worth a gamble having now done many such cycles. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - agreed, tick it off and move on.

SQ - I'm usually wrecked for weeks after london, im going to have to look into recovery strategies.......top week there, great long hillly run, if you top those long runs off the the mp or +10% sections then you'll be well set. I fhave found the 20s with some longish +10% sections have helped me push on well in recent marathons, late marathon hammy cramp is always my downfall, i defo need some more long runs before London, I've only done 4 due to all my racing........Good one on the 1200s very good conversion, i did the 10x5min this morning and was running around 0.77m on av......

So 12m inc 10x5min same as SQ today, aim is to start at mp and then progress a  it, started bit slow with 6.48 and 39 pace but then the rest were av 6.30 for overall av 6.33. Same session at same time last yr was av 6.28 for the 10, so comparable after slow start as av and max HR were a few beats lower today.......slow start might have been due to the pissing rain which lasted the whole of the run......wetter than an otters pocket.
  • TR that seems so hard, well done in that weather too! Looking forward to training at least it will be cool.

SQ - Great training there. My last long run over 10 was 4 weeks before Berlin, so that seemed ok for me tbh. Just get the miles banked.

TT- Great ranking in the marathon. I sort of was sure I would retire from them after Berlin. I mean coming 34th V40 in the race and 8th British V40 with 2.39 sort of indicates that there's not much more there ;)

No affect on the V50 rankings last night at Watford.

My 1500 was the 10th out of 13, and as usual a mixture of young kids and a couple of old boys! Sadly as often the case they went out like lunatics and then bunched. Nightmare as it meant we went through 400 in 71! I was thinking of 66. So I went to the front and we went through 800 in 2.16 - back on track but I knew I wasn't going to finish well. I led us to the bell in 3.09, but 4-5 of them went past me on 200m to go, and my 72 second tired last lap gave me 4.21. Bit disappointing - still too warm for me tbh. 

I had splashed out the extra £6 on the 3,000m so thought I had better do it as I was there..although only 25 mins after the 1500m. Plan was to try and stick to 75's for as long as possible to give me a chance of the sub 9.20 I needed for the V50 2nd place. Probably held on a couple of seconds outside the required pace for longer than I thought I would be able to, but then drifted a bit the last couple of laps to get 9.31. Nice bit of support from fellow vets Steve Atkinson, Les Newell and Julian Richardson.

Grabbed a chat with Melissa Courtney (8.51) after, so my 100% success rate in our races well and truly smashed LOL (well 2 races!). She's Poole AC, so her dad knew my dad and his mates from the 80's. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Yep 10th is good TT. I am 16th in the 10k and 17th in HM might be tight come the end of the year to see who has the highest  :)

Epic long run there SQ, I wouldn't say I am back, just dribbling out a few painful slow runs at the moment but it's progress of a kind.

I missed that 3,000m SC, nice one.

I got out for a slow 45 minutes this morning and actually enjoyed the rain, back was sore the whole time and had to stop a couple of times to stretch it. Hopefully it will get resolved soon as I am not sure running in pain like this is sustainable! I think I know, to touch, exactly which vertebrae is the biggest issue but I am convinced the physio must be missing it each time, I am going to get my wife to draw a cross on it before I go next time!

Meanwhile I am optimistically planning long term goals, I think the aim will be London Marathon next year with a half in the build-up. Target has to be sub 2:30, if I can get back to this year's peak fitness before the year end and push on from that. Time will fly though.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps.

Good to see the pootling is back on the cards at least Reg....

SQ - that was an epic long run, especially for the time of day!

What's with the 10x3mins everyone seems to be doing then?  Must do some reps myself at some point!

Good double Simon, even if not by your own exacting standards!

Like everyone lese, I wish this humidity would do one! Last night's shuffle felt dire!  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR - not sure that one is a fast course, looks at least one 100 feet climb in there!

Busy few days with a 3 day training course and exam, midweek footy game, and trying to sort stuff out with a car and subsequent courtesy car.

The latter meant I only managed to get out for my 8x0.25m off 2mins sesh around midday.

Across the grass of the local park. You don't half notice the difference between the long grass and the almost dusty flat stuff. Throw in a decent wind in one direction and the reps were quite a range :)

1x1.14, 2x1.15, 1x1.16, 2x1.17, 2x1.18

I think one of the overlooked awkwardnesses of the non track rep is the finish line. Although you have it programmed in and can have it beeping down, it's so much easier to visualise and storm the finish line on the track.

I think it was the right effort level all in - I had that stomach threatening nasty things feel at points during reps - yet it went on the recovery, and went on the jog home and after. That's normally the sign :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - I'll probably do that session the other way round when building up to say a 10mile race.
    3x10mins!