Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

nice work DT2, big PB. Just realised i dont have another 5k until july, im imagining i will need something in the 5.4x to be top of the pile come then.image

Rob,  i was thinking of running at Horwich too but will see how i get through the next couple of races and decide... looks a good course

• Options

Horwich is not a fast course it is 3 laps and you do a long drag of a hill 3 times (not steep but a noticible incline) it is considered a tough road 5k hence why times aren't that special!! I think entry deadline might be 2nd June.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

DT2, looks like the gauntlet has been well and truly laid down.  A 3-way tussle between you, Dean and Rob will certainly keep this forum interesting over the summer.  19 seconds off a 5k PB that wasn't exactly very old anyway is very good going, seems like you're back into the swing of PBs again after the marathon.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very quick that Dt2 - nice one! (I suspect its not the 0.01 that hurts though, but the 0.02image). Sure it won't be long before you go under though.

Any southerners doing the Chesham Jubilee 5k on Mon 4th June? It's billed as fast and flat.

Intervals at lunchtime. Bit shabby though, as not recovered from Sunday's race, did a double yesterday and warmth came as a bit of a shock! Aimed for 8 x 0.5M, but ended up with 5 x 0.5M and a pedestrian 2 x 0.25M all with 90 sec rec.

Bloody GPS is being a bit weird too - it was out on both runs yesterday, and recorded my first two 0.5M as 2:35 today (I wish, but know they were short by about 10 secs).  Grrr - need to get to a track! Bloody annoying having a great track I can see from my office window, but I'm not paying £8.30 to use it that's for sure!

• Options

Bus- Couldn't you join the club(s) that train there as second claim and use facitility?

Southern Boys what is Battersey Park like to run in there is a 10k there on 4 August at 8.00am when I'm down at Olympics is it worth racing?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Rob, its the same park DT2 ran his 5k last night, and his time would indicate a fast flat course,  i have only warmed up around it as i played hockey on the astro there, from memory its flat.

• Options

Did my reps on a scorching track, summer is really here! The pace was arrived at using an ambitious 5k target of 17:30 which is 84, came out as 81, 78, 81, 78, 77, 77, 76, 76, 77, 77 so average of 77.8. Wind made the first few a bit hard to judge as half the track was headwind and half was tailwind and I was doing 400, then 200 walk/jog so the next rep had the wind in reverse. My Garmin actually has the 76s at sub 5 minute/mile pace, first time I have seen a 4.xx for a long while.

bus, Chesham no.
    robt, Battersea Park is flat and fast, DT2 has a lot of fast times there and also odd distances (only certified 2 mile race so you should get a top UK rating). I think Aug 4th is the inaugral High Wycombe parkrun so I will be there.

• Options

Phil - Good 400's 17.30 should be achievable off those times I would try and bring your recovery down prob worked out at 90-120 secs need to get down to 60 secs and keep hitting that 78 target well done image

Battersea in Aug is a 10k not sure great idea as no doubt will have a few beers Friday as with 4 mates on a "old farts" Olympic weekend will decide nearer the time image

• Options
    robT wrote (see)

Phil - Good 400's 17.30 should be achievable off those times I would try and bring your recovery down prob worked out at 90-120 secs need to get down to 60 secs and keep hitting that 78 target well done image

Pretty good guess there Rob, and tough task master. Recovery was betwen 90 and 120 seconds. If it is 60 I assume that is just get a breath and go again for the start / finish line. 

Will try again later this week. I need to do a medium run (15 miles) and another track and a recovery so any ideas on order? I am thinking medium tomorrow, recovery Thursday and track again Friday.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

RE SG, it's hard to come and talk running when your not running yourself. You can feel like the guy who sits in the corner sulking at a party. But I'd rather have that than nothing, not the same without SG telling my sessions are mental and my training is unstructured (which it is!). Although he would have been proud of my bank time and hang on performance on Sunday. 5:24 first mile, 6:09 last mile!

Hope the injuries are working through and Chingo if your biking your aerobic fitness will still be fine. Just a bit of tuning up will be needed.

Nice session there Phil, I don't think 17:30 is ambitious, I'm going for that as a minimum this year with 17:20 as my stretch target.

Bit hot for a track session tonight... oh well... here goes.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Battersea Park. A happy hunting ground for me. PB Half Marathon, and my first sub 34 min 10k.

5 mile race there 26th August.

RE SG also. I keep giving him hints to come back and post but he's not having it. My missus reckons he's paranoid. I can't see it myself, anyone would think people are talking about him.

🙂

• Options
    Phil - I agree if your planning a 15 tomorrow then recovery thur track Friday

I would just hang around and start from where you finish as 60 secs goes pretty quick. A small point though I would suggest doing something different to keep it interesting say 3/4 x 1k with 2 mins at 3.30 pace (race pace) then bring recovery down to 90secs over a couple of weeks and get to 5 reps !! Have fun
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Whenever I've tried 60 sec recs on 400m I've found it really hard to maintain any sort of pace! What's the best way to build? Increasing reps on long recoveries, less recovery, faster reps?

Trouble with joining the local club Rob, is they only have access Tue and Thurs evenings and at weekends as far as I can tell, and I'm not in Aylesbury then. It's also £70 pa!

• Options
    Bus I would say if you struggle to maintain pace then slow the rep a little or reduce reps and maintain pace but try and keep recovery low ie 60 secs after a couple of times hopefully you will be able to hit target pace and recovery then start to increase reps to say 12-16 as you get used to it. Dont be tempted as I've been doing and go way quicker than race pace I agree that 4-6 secs faster than target race pace is about right for 400's above 800m then race pace with short recoveries is the way to go in my opinion image

As regard a track are there any schools near you with playing fields as usually this time of year they mark out a grass track usually an accurate 400m or sometimes 200m so you could use that and they are usually quite a good surface !!
  • Options
    robT wrote (see)
    A small point though I would suggest doing something different to keep it interesting say 3/4 x 1k with 2 mins at 3.30 pace (race pace) then bring recovery down to 90secs over a couple of weeks and get to 5 reps !! Have fun

Sounds good, so Friday 4x1000m @ 3:30 pace with 2 mins recovery. I am not too worried about boredom setting in: my 5000 target is June 9th and I have an off road run that is about 5k plus 1 minute long and then a road 5k on the next two Tuesdays so really it is 4 sessions over 3 weeks: 2 this week and then 1 each next 2 weeks. Will probably repeat the 10x400s in the next two weeks as doing 78 has to make 84 feel easier and it is speed I am missing at the moment.

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Any southerners doing the Chesham Jubilee 5k on Mon 4th June? It's billed as fast and flat.

Funnily enough Bus I was looking only last night at 5k road racesimage  Apart from a few parkruns & track time trials, I've never raced this distance, so could be the start of the answer to improving my lack of speed.  Got Yateley 10k two days after, but   think I may well be up for this race on the Jubilee weekend.  

• Options
  • Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Whenever I've tried 60 sec recs on 400m I've found it really hard to maintain any sort of pace! What's the best way to build? Increasing reps on long recoveries, less recovery, faster reps?

Trouble with joining the local club Rob, is they only have access Tue and Thurs evenings and at weekends as far as I can tell, and I'm not in Aylesbury then. It's also £70 pa!

The Bus wrote (see)

Bus- Have you done a 60 sec 400m as a series of reps?image  I've so far only managed 65 secs in a 1 lap 'sprint'.

How many did you manage & what recovery between each?

A question to all please:  What's the quickest 400m reps you've done/number/length of recovery & what race prep was it for? 

• Options

LuvsaPB, I think that bus meant he did 400m with 60 seconds recovery, not with the 400m in 60 seconds: that is a hard set of reps and way beyond most of us (if I can safely say that)

Today I did 10x400 in 78, DT2 did a very nice session last week 2x5x400 in 69s, very even.

• Options
    Luvsa - I think bus was talking about 60sec recov!! Not rep speed

I've did several diff 400 sessions last year ranging from 6x400 ave 64's (3min recov), 6x400 ave 65's (90 sec recov), 12x400 ave 69's (60sec recov) and 16x400 ave 70/71 (60 sec recov) race prep for mainly 5k but the more reps during heavier training periods and the few reps last weeks before main 5k races but I do believe these are more than acceptable for 10k training is that what you were asking?
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

luvsa- 14*70sec with 60 rec.

Tonights session was 6*800 with an 800m jog recovery.   each rep was 2.30 on the button, these were comfortable with the long recovery but i guess im not in a position to complain. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Up my local track I once saw a guy I knew run a set of 16 x 400m with recovery of 45 sec, 30sec and 15sec repeated through the set. Having completed this little lot he jogged past an assembled group of onlookers and remarked, 'ok, your turn'.  'No takers then?' Not surprised at 65 seconds a chuck!

My best set of 400's were 72 seconds average off 200m jog recovery for the first six and 400m jog rec for the next six. I was almost tearing myself in half at this pace and have probably only ducked sub 70 seconds for 400m less than ten times ever.

However, 2 weeks later I ran 10k in 33:42. The lap time for that is 80.88 seconds, which is 11% slower than 72's. That's much easier.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Tonight: 800, 200, 700, 200, 600, 200, 500, 200, 400, 200 @ 1500pace off 90. Grim, grim session. 1500 pace was circa 4:45 pace. Never doing a 1500 race. EVER.

• Options

There's me thinking Bus has been using rocket fuel on his cornflakesimage

Thanks for the individual stories.  See what I can try & adapt from all your info!

A nice slow 14.30 miles tonite after the sun went down,  Still sweated buckets though.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie see wrote (see)

Tonight: 800, 200, 700, 200, 600, 200, 500, 200, 400, 200 @ 1500pace off 90. Grim, grim session. 1500 pace was circa 4:45 pace. Never doing a 1500 race. EVER.

SS. Horses for...

There's always some speed merchant out there who can rattle off fast 800's and 15's. There's one guy in my club I saw a couple of years back, seemingly busting a gut doing just under 70 seconds for a set of 400's with recovery, yet in a 1500m race he somehow conjured up the ability to run the whole way only about 1 second per lap slower. How the f is that possible?

🙂

• Options

Exactly as RicF says, horses for courses. I reckon there are two rules for running:

1. Enjoy what you do
    2. Do what you do best
    If you don't enjoy it, there is no point doing it. Some sessions are hard and you have to get into the right mindset so that you appreciate the session for the benefit and not the pain. There are a lot of social runners out there who are happy to exercise and "race" now and then, and there is nothing wrong with that, they are following the first rule exactly, but there are others, myself inclued, who liek the competitive element.   A lot of what we do is out of our control. I seem to be best in the 10k / 10 mile range and that basically means LT runs (or whatever you want to clal them). relatively my best races have always been at these distances. If I put the numebrs into a calculator then the short and longer distance predictions are way beyond me, so the sweet spot is in the middle. For me there doesn't seem to be a great deal of pace difference from 3k up to 16k so I do relatively better at the upper end.   It it s bit of a bugger is 1 and 2 don't match, but for me I enjoy the middle distance road  races and am quite happy that my body has says it can do marathons but no need to do them too often.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

75 mins around the woods after a very early start. Woke at 4:15 a.m and saw an opportunity. Went very easy. The niggles and fatigue appear to have disappeared, so I thought I would enjoy a run with the novelty of not having my right lower leg reminding me its there every time my foot hits the ground. Priority is to avoid injury now. I can always dig a race result out if not hurting somewhere. Have to be careful at my age, there's three high performance V50's I can think of right now who've gone from top of the rankings to not being able to run at all for over 6 months in one case and over a year in the other two.image

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

sometimes you have to things that are neither in my opinion. Take yourself outside your comfort zone to stretch and find more speed/endurance.  for example Philips marathon training, i wouldnt have enjoyed doing it and its not what i do best....but it would be 100% neccessary and i would see it as something that needed to get done to hit my target of sub 3hr mara.   

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ah, as soon as the sun comes out, everyone heads down the track.  Nice 400s PMJ, I found it really psychologically helpful to do them and get used to the idea of running fast.  SS, I'd struggle to do any trackwork above 400m at 1500 pace, that sounds hardcore.

My first marathon-specific session last night - 10 miles with 8 at 'stretch' MP - I say stretch MP as it came out as 6:19/6:20 mm average, and I have no current intention of heading out at that pace in an actual marathon.  Felt easy and comfortable in the legs, but in terms of heart rate/overall feeling, it was awful - I struggled badly in the sudden heat, and had sweat dripping off my forehead after 2 miles - and I rarely sweat much when I run.  6:20 usually feels like relaxed cruising, but it didn't last night.

Also, those tiny b*st*rd flies have reemerged with the heat, and seem absolutely determined to seek death in my eyes and mouth.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep - lots of bugs about at the moment! Soon be the nettles trying to get me!

Yes Luvsa - I regularly knock out 400m in sub 60 sec (but only in my car!) image. Come and do the Chesam 5k. Its nice and early, so you can still have the bank holiday free!

Thanks for the tip Rob - will try and decrease the pace, reduce recovery and then increase reps. I know from last year that 800m reps gave a real boost to my 10k speed in a short time.

Lovely run this morning in the sunshine. Bit tired, but nice to be running in the dry...Good opportunity to go bare chested in the woods!  Mind you, if you thnk that's bad, there's a guy, probably 50s, who always does local races bare chested! He ran Prestwood on Sunday like this, despite the fact that it was freezing! At least my bare chestedness happens where almost no-one can see me!