Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Nigel didn't start running until he was 35. The foot injury happened in a half marathon last year, I'm not sure if he realised the significance at the time as he appears to have run a 5 miler soon after. 

🙂

• robT wrote (see)
     3/4 x 1k with 2 mins at 3.30 pace (race pace) then bring recovery down to 90secs over a couple of weeks and get to 5 reps !! Have fun

So tried 4x1000m with 2 mins recovery, did 3 in 3:31, 3:28, 3:27 but aborted the 4th. Gives me a target for the coming weeks, complete 4 and then onto 5 as well as recovery down. I think heat was a big factor today as well as wind, but overall quite happy with the speed.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Similary I was going to do 6 x 800m at lunch time, but dropped to 4 instead - headwind and heat, made them hard plus the realisation that as I need to do my long run tomrrow, this will give me about 62m for the week, with 70M in 7 days, so didn't want to push it!

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Hey guys, been away with school so will have to catch up later. My legs were feeling that 1500 session but I do enjoy pushing it like that. You really feel likes you've gone that one step beyond.

Tonight I'm doing a 5k, so if I don't melt I'll come back with a story about how my race was slower than my 5k split from Sunday! image Hope we're all enjoying the sunshine and getting out in it running or otherwise.

• Phil & Bus- Am I right in thinking you guys are doing 2 speed sessions per week? Any suggestions on how to step up from 1 to 2 without bringing my body to a state of meltdown?
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

luvsa, i do longer intervals on a tuesday and shorter sprint style intervals on a thursday.  So 800m - 1mile on tuesday, and 200m - 600m on a thursday.  

I find this approach might make it easier mentally and physically

• Thanks Dean. I have to work it carefully as I'm prone to getting DOMs & then can't run for the next couple of days.

Do you have to alter it around mara training or if you've got 10kshalfs coming up?
  • Luvsa, I work the same as dean, except I do the shorter intervals on tues and longer on thurs, at the start of the summer season I always do the 2nd session on the treadmill before switching to track once my legs are used to it.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i guess i am lucky (or lazy!) as i have never had doms after training...a couple of times after races but never training.  If i did i would be tempted to start with less reps , longer recoveries to ease myself in.  Also how do you recover after training?  some people i run with are straight on the recovery shakes after training, but if you go home and dont eat/drink/warm down properly after a session that might be something to look at.

• Luvsa, I do hard and easy all year round, so 3 hard and 3 easy. In the winter my hard were a x-cointry race, a long run (20 miles) and a medium run (15 miles). All I am doing in the summer is swapping so 2xtrack and 1xmedium, or 1 race, 1 track and 1 medium.

As with all things, introduce changes slowly, so how many hard sessions are you doign a week now and how many do you eant to get to? You can't just add a track and leave in a lot of miles: it is either or and not and. My 3 or 4k hard on a track plus 4 there and back is only 7 miles but is a lot harder than an easy 13.  Yoiu have to accept that overall miles will fall as quality repalces quanity. 

I am up to 1,020 this year and 172 for May so shoudl hit 200 by the tiem the month is out and still be ahead of the 200 miles a month target.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

DT2 wrote (see)

Some great training going on at the moment, this really is the 'Carlsberg' of threads!

I really like that comment from DT2. SG said that we were getting too serious on this thread for him. I like to think that we are all taking our training seriously, ourselves less so. I personally am encouraged by the fact that we might not be Olympic runners but at least we are thinking about what we are doing and giving the subject due consideration. By the way, I think I've missed what Doms is.

🙂

Ran 17:46 tonight and finished a very sweaty and tired bag of bones. A PB so decent on a slow course, everybody was 30+ seconds down from Christleton so that's pleasing given my aim is 17:20 this season. Splits: 3:31, 3:31, 3:38, 3:36, 3:30.

So the usual tale of the 'middle 2Ks' I really was trying to look after them a bit more but K 4 was all about getting round by then as I'd totally gone mentally and physically. I only managed a 3:30 last K as I wanted to beat a clubmate and gave it everything. So a pleasing night I reckon.

• Well done Stevie.  Not so slow now, are we?image

dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

i guess i am lucky (or lazy!) as i have never had doms after training...a couple of times after races but never training.  If i did i would be tempted to start with less reps , longer recoveries to ease myself in.  Also how do you recover after training?  some people i run with are straight on the recovery shakes after training, but if you go home and dont eat/drink/warm down properly after a session that might be something to look at.

Rather think I've been a bit too severe with the intensity & my body's inevitably recoiled in horror.  I'm beginning to recognise how hard I can push up to without suffering the consequences next day!

Never tried recovery shakes, so that's a possible route to try.  Just usually make sure I finish with a warm down & stretches.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Stevie - that blitzes my 5k PB, and as you say, promising for a faster course! Hoepfully I can get a bit closer at Chesham image

Luvsa, my aim is to do two speed sessions a week, split by steady runs, with one tempo/race and one interval session. In reality though, the tempos are not happening when they should, and the intervals are about half the number of reps they should be! If you add up both of my interval sessions this week, that might make one quality session!  A good way to build in a second speed session might be to do fartleks in an otherwise steady run, and then just build the numbers.

Ric - DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness. It's a specific term for the type of muscle micro tearing that typically shows itself 2 or 3 days after a race but I think on here we just mean pain after a hard session! 

• Well run Stevie, you are setting hard targets for me to chase this year. I did 17:49 last year, like to try 17:30 this one.

• addyladaddylad ✭✭✭
    Ric - surprised that SG would say that. Thought he was the one defending the people on this thread at one point; looks like times have changed. I take it he checks back on this thread every now and then.

DOMS is delayed onset muscle soreness.

SS - nice one mate, shame I couldn't be down to return the favour. I think with a few longer reps with short recovery at race pace, you can sort out that fatigue later on in races. image
  • Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Luvsa, I do hard and easy all year round, so 3 hard and 3 easy. In the winter my hard were a x-cointry race, a long run (20 miles) and a medium run (15 miles). All I am doing in the summer is swapping so 2xtrack and 1xmedium, or 1 race, 1 track and 1 medium.

As with all things, introduce changes slowly, so how many hard sessions are you doign a week now and how many do you eant to get to? You can't just add a track and leave in a lot of miles: it is either or and not and. My 3 or 4k hard on a track plus 4 there and back is only 7 miles but is a lot harder than an easy 13.  Yoiu have to accept that overall miles will fall as quality repalces quanity. 

I am up to 1,020 this year and 172 for May so shoudl hit 200 by the tiem the month is out and still be ahead of the 200 miles a month target.

Phil, the 1 track session at the moment would be described as hard.  The rest is 7 min mile runs, 2 or 3 x14 miles & during mara training 1x20-24miles @8-9 min miles.  I've started doing one 6 mile run in the 6 min mile range instead of the 20-24 when total weekly mileage is between 40-50 instead of 70. Typically running 5 or 6 days per week.

Show me a way of increasing the quality while still maintaining 70 miles per week & you'll have my complete attentionimage 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ok on DOMS then though I just get OMS.

Luvsa, mileage is a means to an end but it can be quite an attractive end in itself. I do remember forcing my tired legs out of the door for just 2 miles on one occasion simply so that I could write 50 miles in the book for the first time. The first of only 3 occasions when I topped 100 miles in a week, I was halfway through a half marathon race (75 mins). I felt personally that 100 mile weeks were excessive. the fact that my fellow runners (and limbs) considered such a level as 'nuts' helped me crank things down to a more managable level. The mileage sequence went: 47, 75, 65, 82, 101, 106, 83, 28, 5, 3, bugger!

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

Ok on DOMS then though I just get OMS.

Luvsa, mileage is a means to an end but it can be quite an attractive end in itself. I do remember forcing my tired legs out of the door for just 2 miles on one occasion simply so that I could write 50 miles in the book for the first time. The first of only 3 occasions when I topped 100 miles in a week, I was halfway through a half marathon race (75 mins). I felt personally that 100 mile weeks were excessive. the fact that my fellow runners (and limbs) considered such a level as 'nuts' helped me crank things down to a more managable level. The mileage sequence went: 47, 75, 65, 82, 101, 106, 83, 28, 5, 3, bugger!

Ric- There's a guy at my club who runs 100 miles per week most weeks{but never tapers!}. I think he's just plain obsessed with high mileage & the perceived kudos this brings. He's just done his 92nd marathon & times are around 3:30.

I've got up to 92 mpw once but realise that my knees and calves don't much like this high risk strategy, and don't want to be walking with a stick in 20yrs time! 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    LuvsaPB wrote (see)
    Phil, the 1 track session at the moment would be described as hard.  The rest is 7 min mile runs, 2 or 3 x14 miles & during mara training 1x20-24miles @8-9 min miles.  I've started doing one 6 mile run in the 6 min mile range instead of the 20-24 when total weekly mileage is between 40-50 instead of 70. Typically running 5 or 6 days per week.

Show me a way of increasing the quality while still maintaining 70 miles per week & you'll have my complete attentionimage 

I think that's the point though, for the majority of us most gains are made from increasing quality rather than quantity, once a certain base level of endurance is reached. Ideally, to get to be your best you'll gradually bring both up, but I reckon most people will do faster times at all distances on 40-50mpw with 2-3 quality sessions rather than 70-80 mpw of steady running. If you are running 2-3 14milers pw, when will your legs get a chance tp recover enough to run some short hard quality sessions?

Personally, if I was knocking out 100 mpw and achieving a 3:30 marathon time I'd seriously wonder what I was spending all that time and hard work on - for that sort of investment in effort I'd want to be an elite!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I agree. My best running was indeed off about 50 mpw with a couple of sessions.

I think I might have cycled a few miles to work and back also, but I'm doing my best to erradicate the memories of that particular sentence.

🙂

• completely agree, only hit really high mileage during Mara phase, mon-thurs are doubles with just 3-5m recovery pace at lunch, 2 interval sessions and 1 tempo or race. I do a mid length run between the interval days of about 10-13m, just nice and steady then a long run at weekends. gives me around 75m or so a week. also jump on the bike if my legs are feeling ropey.

en-route to Edinburgh HM at present, thank God i'm not doing the full, it looks toasty! good look to everyone racing this weekend.
  • LuvsaPB wrote (see)

Let's say 6 running days a week, 3 quality and 3 recovery. 

You do a 20 miler and a 15 miler and a 10 mile tempo session as the three quality, so that is 45 miles. You then need 25 miles in 3 days so you do a double (4 and 6) on one day and the other two days you do 7.5 mile recovery runs. 

That is basically the P&D up to 70 miles a week campaign. I pretty much followed that for VLM this year but often the 10 mile was a x-country race and so was less than 10 and I didn't do the double, so I was in the low 60s bracket.

If you want more speed work, then you have to drop the distance, so now for me the 20 is gone and it is a tarck session. The track for me is about 2 miles one way, 4 the other, so I can do 2 there and 4 back but don't see the point of adding slow miles on tired legs.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

too many people in my experience view total miles run in a year as a worthy badge, im more in the camp of the only worthy badges are clock driven eg PBs, Season bests, course bests etc...

I know somebody who went on a very very long run on new yrs eve so they could hit 3000 for the yr. and this on top of a very heavy week as well. Just crazy!  If it doesnt translate to a race then it wasnt meaningful.

the total miles are a means to get me to PBs but i take quality training over quantity every day. 

congrats stevie.....Is that 2 PBs tumbling inside a week?  If so, thats outstanding.  You are definately in a rich vein of form. 

Good luck DT2....glad its a HM and not a 5k you are running image 

Sale 5m for me tomorrow...nice and hot

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Might consider Sudbury Court down Harrow way tommorow. 3 races on offer: 10k, 5k and 1k. Normally I'd just go for the big one but since this will be an unscheduled outing and at 11am start probably warm I'll do the 5k instead. My lad suggested he do the 5k too, I suggested the 1k for reasons of safety. Also it only costs £1 against £10.  

🙂

I think 50 - 55 miles with 3 quality sessions is about right for me. Although I'm not hitting 50 much recently as I'm racing a lot at weekend so the long run is getting left out.

A lot of people do chase miles. At the end of the day it has to supplement quality work not hinder it. I think that happened with me in the winter when I went chasing 60 mile weeks. I couldn't keep the quality going with that milage. I try and keep my quality work very tough too. Works better in the winter as an XC race is usually one 'session' for the week. I'm going to try and periodise my training at the end of this year. This week I've done 40 with 2 races and a 1500 session. That'll do me. If I started doubling to chase 50/55 I'd have been walking last night.

I did 9.5 round Delamere today in the sun, was nice to run bareback without a care in the world. Got another 5K on Saturday which is quick (ish) so I'm aiming at 17:25.

Rob/Chingo - how's the rehab going guys? I'm off week after next fellas so let me know if you want to get out for a run.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well, after saying all that, I made sure I did 14M tonight, which made 60.9 for the week, but most importantly got my 4 week average back up over 50 - yes I am pretty anal about certain targets and I find 50 a particulalry nice number! Very good run it was too, off road and hilly, if a bit hot!  Pleased it felt OK as I've run every day since the race last Sunday. I'll be trying to take my own advice and swap some of the miles for quality over the next few weeks. Day off tomorrow to enjoy the sunshine with the family...

• Stevie, looks like very similar miles to me. If you do doubles then you need to d othem very easy liek SG did: 4 miles 5 or 6 times a week and that adds 20 miles on top of the 50 or so to give you 70: seemed to do him good but woudln;t work for me as I can only fit in a lunchtime session each day and not lunch and evening.

Fun of haivng a daughter, having to wait up till 1pm when the taxi got her back from the ball: what happended to midnight and pumpkins?

• Went down the track this morning to try and get recovery and hard days in line properly as I am racing Tuesday. The youngsters were down there doing middle distance so it ended up as 350, 250 amd 200m off 60 recovery, 3 sets with 10 minutes between sets. Did a very patchy set with 
    1) 58, 41, 31 2) 59, 40, 33 3) 65, 43, 35
    First and second OK, but massive lactic at the end of 2 so third set was a slow cruise (though still 4:30 pace image). The 400s at the start of this week in 77 seemed fast, these were way much faster, Gamin gave 4:17 for some, all sub 5.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

looks good to me philip, nice short fast session.  fast 1st 200m probably messed you up abit for later on.

good 5k Stevie! going well by the sound of things

I clearly dont do enough miles  but do a fair bit of quality workouts. Ill sort that out come end of road running season and do things properly for the winter with some decent base and strength training and hopefully move forward with overall fitness.

entertaining 1st steeplechase for 10 years or so on the track today, followed by a 1500m! as someone didnt turn up.boy it was hot!

the barriers really took it out of me after 2k or so, ended up with around 10:51 and full lap splits of 82 84 85 84 88 90 88. Ok for a first outing + a PO10 ranking. was hoping for 10 seconds or so quicker but hey ho.hurdled about a 1/3rd of the barriers and stepped on the rest. some guys were climbing over every hurdle and I even lapped 1 chap twice!

1500 just took one for the team and took it steady then gave it a good last lap, came in around 4:41 with a 68-9 last lap.

hope DT2 and Dean get on ok in this heat, im sunburnt bad!