Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you must have been feeling a distinct lack of energy to go for a pepsi! I remember doing about 20 in about 2005, a leisurely one with stops with a mate cycling, and me jogging. The feeling of having no energy was one I'll never forget.

I certainly wouldn't bother with a marathon at your age Crispy, you can probably even beat your real short MD stuff for a while yet.

races in 2013 already! And 10 in 10...mostly track stuff i presume?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    PC2, with the form you're in, I'd be actively seeking out the head-to-heads! Sensible on the need for a break though.

Quite excited about tomorrow now. No need to worry about time, and can race people instead...
  • No track races until at least April...
    5 XC, 4 road (1 10k, 1 10m and 2 half) and another possible 10m

The expectations and ambition of head to heads has moved on in line with the form. Also, last weekend I did enough to just beat a few from my club on the Saturday to get the county place, but they were long gone on the Sunday. This is fine because Saturday was the one that mattered.

SG - Aiming for some good 1500-5000 times this summer. Putting the new 10k into the race predictors and seeing road times I should be hitting has highlighted that I need to do some serious damage to track pbs too.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, I think that's PC's way of saying battles against us aren't head to heads anymore image

Depends on your strengths as a runner on those race predictors Crispy....I haven't  beaten the 10k McMillan suggested from last year's 10mile race time,and am a country mile off the current prediction.

I think it tends to over estimate the shorter times doable from longer times.

However, i'm sure it was UG who has a perfectly poised 5k and marathon, so it clearly works for some!

• 17.25 miles for me done in 2:11. Actually was my easiest and best long run I can remember. I've been smashed on Lemsips all week so it's nice to go for a run feeling OK again. The monster lie in did me the world of good.

PC - nice long run, I'd say you don't need to do much more than 17 if your going to be hitting the track this year. But always nice to know you have a 20 up your sleeve!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

good long runs guys, never even got to 14miles so need to work on that.

Glad your feeling better SSimage

Average to poor Brum XC race today, 3 laps. few hills 400ft/5.85miles/6:02avg. pace, it was fairly muddy and really sapped your energy. legs didnt feel to have much power today, the first mile of 5:35 was probably a tad fast! then when I tweaked my Achilles again at about 3.5 miles I started to feel sorry for myself and slowed abit, the Achilles just twinging every 800m or so. not sure how bad it is yet.  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

17 1/4 Stevie!? Is this with an eye on the marathon?!  Fair play on a saturday, a day that for me always feels like it should be an easier day, must go back to being a kid.

Seb, 6.02 average sounds fairly hot offroad?!

I've no idea how your courses compare to our sunday courses, but there's probably only one of ours that's doable at that pace.

BUS, i'm hoping your lack of a verdict on tomorrow is you giving it as long as possible, and the outcome is a yes image

• No marathons here SG, behave old chap! Last Sep/Oct when I was doing 18 milers I felt the fittest I'd been so I'd like to get back to that.With the sessions on top this week I should be in good touch.  

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    What position were you seb? Sounds a decent performance though, perhaps only feels under to you as you have smashed the last 2

Good long run SS and sounds like you are coming out the other side of your sickness.

SG I would have thought you could get a high pace going on your Xc , aren't they mostly on Tarmacimage
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fraid not SG! Went for a run this morning to try it out and it was absolutely fine on the run, with no twinges at all. Did 5M fairly easy, but building the pace a little toward the end. Howvere, as soon as I stopped and started to walk on it, the pain came back. No where near as bad as before , but enough to make me think racing tomorrow would be a bad idea - must admit I'm feeling pleased with myself for being sensible for probably the first time ever image . Sorry I d idn't let you know earlier, but had to dive over to basingstoke Hospital straight after the run and only just back. Stevie - my best guess is its a bit of mild tendonitis in the fibular tendon. The fact that I could run on it and it's no more than a mild discomfort this afternoon compared to proper pain on Wednesday makes me think it'll heal quick though. Might even try another easy run tomorrow - just don't think a race is a good idea!

Possibly Bracknell Forest next week?

Some good long runs there Stevie and PC2. Always good to come back after an illness like that Stevie - makes you feel even more alive I find!

Seb - let's hope that Achilles doesn't become a problem.

Anyway, good luck all you racers tomorrow!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

69th instead of the usual 51st, probably around 40secs off where I should have been.your right SG pace wasnt disastrous, Still a good tempo run either way.  might have to cycle at some point soon if running is affected!  Course was medium to hard difficulty in my opinion.

good lucky whoever is racing tomorrow!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cheeky Dean, Tadley has half mile on tarmac at start and end, but the rest of it is proper XC as are 6 of the other 7.

The other one is a bit like those international "cross country" races you see on the tv, basically flat and grass. Before Seb mentioned some mild hills, I was sure that's what most of your XC courses are made of image

Stevie, I suppose in my "risk management" manner, I see over 2hours as more risk than benefit for anything under the marathon.

Bus, yep probably not worth it if it didn't feel perfect before and after! Oh well, with time tight before the 1.30 Man Utd kick off,no slight detour your way,  that's the only plus side! image

Just a mild tweak, with your bod telling you a hard race, 15miler and efforts over 4 days was a leeetle mental.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Seb, if it was the Sandwell XC, I know the winner, he very temporarily ran as part of my old club...hes run for Britain at Half marathon, and hit 30.02 at Leeds for 10k.

Needless to say he won our XC series hands down last year!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Seb, you are right you are slightly down but it's still a good 10 positions better than I achieved last time, so I'm not going to get violins out. image

Right call bus. Save it for Wokingham, sounds like you will be right soon enough.

SG , Seb is a fell runner, mild hills to him are like cliff faces to the rest of us image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Would be interesting to compare and trial some of these different courses. Standard is certainly very high like you say, as it was the first time Ben has won at your league today! Who on earth beats him!?

a 6.02 average would needless to say be well up our fields....but then again there are some muddy hills where you'll be lucky to register 14min miling image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Some good long runs there. 14 for me shortly with a couple of blokes from the club. Should be nice and steady. Did a tempo run yesterday which was a 2 mile steady then 4.5 miles @ 5.39 then another mile jog.

I ducked a xc race yesterday as I had to spend every other spare minute I had bloody painting. Good luck to those racing today.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    9M hilly xc this morning and leg was fine - seems like I could have raced after all. Never mind, could have gone the other way...

Looking forward to the reports.
  • Same as you Bus, 9 miles this morning. 67 last and 65 this week. Looking forward to a full week of sessions this week.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Me too, especially if we get snowed in! Nice high totals there Stevie. Disappointing start for me - 42M both this week and last week, when I wanted to be at least mid 50s.

• Wouldn't worry mate, you have the relief of knowing the twinge was just that...a twinge and nothing to set you back. 40+ miles will not see any loss is sharpness at all so don't worry. In the end these easier weeks could be just what you need to set you up for some monster sessions to come.

I feel the easy 3 weeks in December where I missed 12 days running has done me the world of good. Might sneak a little 4 out later too image Providing it's not too baltic out there. image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Nice work stevie, bus and matt

Bus, you never know if you had raced today you would have put more stress on it and maybe had a problem. You made the right call IMO

A 10m lsr for me in 6.54 ave
  • 6.54? Don't you mean LR... you can leave the S out! image Ha ha, actually I bet 6.54 felt like a pootle to a man of your calibre!

Looks like I'm defo out of the Northern XC, I've not been entered. So I may do Alsager, or just wait till Trafford. I'm beginning to have high hopes for that race...

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Nice long runs peeps. How did you find adding a third quality session in a week Matt?

Nice mileage there SS. You still snotty too or shifted the lurgy?

That's good news about the foot Bus. Game on for the thread outing at Wokingham.

Easy 17 miles in 2 hours / 7.13 pace for me topping off a 66 mile week.

Any news from SG et al that did Tadley?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers guys. 

Though not ideal so far mileage wise, Wokingham should be OK provided I can get a couple more good quality long runs in and some decent tempo work in the 3 weeks left.

Surprised there's no news from Tadley yet...

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice run johnas. I could certainly feel it a bit on today's run. Ended up doing 13.3 @ 7.49 pace. Was breathing hard on a couple of hills that we did and I'm looking forward to my first day off tomorrow since New Year's Day.

Ill only be doing two sessions this week as I'm supposed to be running two of the Yorkshire 3 peaks next Saturday with a group from the club. Will be back on the 3 sessions the week after all being well.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good news Bus, you've got 4 weeks until Wokingham.

Unfortunately my 'inner wimp' got the better of me this weekend, racing wise. Seemed a bit cold for my liking.

As usual; on seeing the results of the ditched race, I wished I'd gone. Clearly the county XC had taken its toll. Still surprised to see one team mate in the results. After last weeks XC he seemed hardly able to walk let alone run.

Still, something good came of it.

Had a longish run of 11 miles today that came out at an average pace of 6:44 min miles with 548 feet of climbs. Which considering the gear I was wearing and perceived effort, a bit of a surprise. My last three runs on this loop averaged, 7:11, 7:26 (rain) & 7:14 min mls.

Could be the indoor cycling or maybe rectifying a long term magnesium deficiency.

Who knows?

🙂

• SG seems to have had a good one at Tadley ...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yet to report here though image

Ric - could be the ground was a bit firmer today as well. My run was a bit faster than of late. I'm not counting the 4th week to Wokingham though, as that's the week the race is in so won't be putting any quality in theat week anyway!

Matt - I'm jealous of your next w/e run!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus. Firm as road is I guess. 

I do this run only once in a while, all the rest is around the woods and local golf course. Sunday is over-loaded with four legged shit machines in the woods so is to be avoided.

I probably won't give much consideration to the final week before Wokingham. Once I start tapering and dwelling on the potential outcomes I invariably have a rubbish race. 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Know what you mean, I was chased by 3 of the bloody things in Hughenden Park at lunchtime - that'll teach me to get up earlier!