Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

sg - ah that makes sense.  i was thinking i was missing a trick there .image

SS - you are a machine,  you have been sick/carrying injury for about a month yet still can monster out those miles. , when im sick i doubt i could do 7 in a week let alone 70, I dont think i have ever managed a 70+ week when fit

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Be careful with the high mileage/ill combo Stevie! Might well bring you down. I did a 77 and 79.5 couple of weeks last year, promptly followed by a 45! It brought out some weaknesses underlying.

Strange with 8.20s....if that's good road conditions. Could be anything, ranging from fatigue, to you simply not being a morning person. I don't especially like to run mornings in the week, but if I have to they come out no slower than standard 7.30ish easy pace.

Dean, you'd probably have to reign in those hyped quality sessions if you wanted to up mileage to that level. It's with that higher mileage that keeping to pace zones in sessions becomes key in my experience!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Morning person is definitely me. I wake up around 05:00. I don't go out immediately but in summer I'll probably be finished before 07:00.

In 2011 I ran a stage of the Round Norfolk Relay. Its a 24 hour long race and the longest stages out of 17 stages are in the hours of darkness. These are the realiy tough legs and when my club got an entry I signed up for probably the worst.

Now, a race that starts at around 23:00 is late but still within normal hours, but when my leg began, it was 02:30. That's deep sleep time. And I had nearly 20 miles to run. 

I did it at an average of 6:38 min miles. The last 10 mins were bad, really bad. I don't run that hard for myself. Only in relays. A real morning run that one.

🙂

• Options

My stride is about half an inch long in the morning, takes me ages to loosen up. Don't want to push it so keep it easy, still just in the 'easy' zone.

Weaknesses? I have no weaknesses! Ha ha, I feel OK now bar a rattling chest still but that's getting better. Legs feel fine, but the sessions this week will put the cat among the pigeons so to speak.

8 tonight @ 7:20, 12 for the day.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, you are an utter nutter. Why in blazes would you bother racing a 20miler in some two bit relay in the middle of the night!?

How do these relays work by the way? Does each stage start at the same time for all teams?

Or do you "go" when your team mate tags you?

Presumably the former, as otherwise you could easily end up racing on your own!!

Stevie, truly bonker morning run there. Take it you're well back in term time now?

My session tomorrow probably invalidates me from calling anyone a nutter.

I'm sure the park can only be a max of 1mile all round, so will probably end up ebing 9-10 laps, alternatin HMP and steady. However, if I can do 12laps of a loop round my old school, and once 24 laps round a track at MP, then this almost sounds interesting!

Will feel amazing after though im certain.

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

How do these relays work by the way? Does each stage start at the same time for all teams?

Or do you "go" when your team mate tags you?

Most relays start leg one as a mass start and then all other legs start when the runner comes in. Some of the longer ones (I know the Ridgeway for sure) have a time limit so the later legs start in unison on the clock so you don't wait for the really slow teams. Long relays are very much about running on your own, you seldom see another runner yet alone pass one.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

So Leg 1 is the best leg. Otherwise you might as well just be running on your own in some random location.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, yes utter utter nutter stuff. But fun. We carry a baton the whole way. Which is handed over.

The clubs actually have a staggered start time. The idea is that the teams all finish at roughly the same time.

Its up to the team manager to estimate the clubs potential result. Unfortunately, our guy must have taken everyone's best ever mile time and multiplied it. Way off. 

He put down about 23:30 while I said 25:30 tops. The result was 25:31 but that ensured that by the time of my hand over, all of the 70 odd other teams were long gone down the road and I had to set off 20 minutes after the last team had left.

So I went guts out alone in the dark with only the team car for company.

After 71 mins I caught sight of the team ahead. I've done this before and once you see those lights you know you've nailed someone. You can imagine how quick I was closing them down. 

There was a blind bend up ahead and the car disappeared from view. When I got there I assumed the car had found another blind bend but no. I couldn't see anything at all and it was a straight road. WTF!! 

I kept going and 15 minutes later it happened again. Just when I'd caught the runner ahead they disappeared. I worked out what was happening.

When they saw the lights of my team behind them. They took the first opportunity to jump into their car and blast off down the road in case I caught them.

I never did catch anyone on that leg, but the runner I handed over to did.

Further down the road there were teams all following each other. All doing about 8 min mile pace grr!

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    I'm another morning trotter. Alarm at 6am. A quick check of the news, a glass of water and I'm out by 6.30. LSRs or easy runs are ok, but I struggle at that time with tempos. I read somewhere that your "levels" are not right early on so this is why it can be harder to get going.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

lucky there's not much traffic at that time of the night, with all you lot playing silly beggars in the pitch black isn't it!!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not one car went the opposite direction while doing that solo run SG.

It was very quiet, in fact I think they still point at cars out that way.

Dean, my glass of water is at least three mugs of tea. One way to warm up.

Summer is my best time. Its warm, and early on I can do speed work down the middle of any road around.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just been told on some 6 pack thread on general, that i need to get off my arse and run more.

You have to image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes SG, we've been getting some good reactions off that lad. Maybe I shouldn't have posted a note of conciliation on that thread, but since he's damn near exploded, I feel our future opportunities there are numbered.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

a silly thread, one I vowed to stay off, but failed.

Crazy really...being told i obviously don't run much with my post total...even though thta's over 10years, and when i said actually i do a fair amount, he took it as a dig against what he does...image

even had a dig about our beautiful forum pics! image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes SG, my missus says I ought to banned from posting on here; upsetting people.

Anyway, I showed the picture on the left to those in our house and the opinions are 'are those my sun glasses?' and you're still a 'fat ba...rd'.

Could be right, no abbs are showing.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

some people just invite it...going onto a running website and giving it loads about quitting eating carbs,

needs to get off to some muscle mary's forum instead i think, and talk about dieting, and checking yourself out in the mirror!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

back to training talk, and i'd presumed the best I could hope for was grassy laps for the big session today.

However, driving in, the pavements all look perfect, and the Adios have quite good grips, so hopefully pavements will do nicely. Looking forward to it. Mentally 6mins at HMP sounds more bearable than 10mins, even though there's 6 sets of them today rather than 3, and thus longer.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Checked in on that thread - what a knob! Some of what he says is true, but no bleedin manners! How dare we have avatrs of us running - on a running forum....

Probably the right decision SG. I went for the laps of a slushy field option this morning and it was horrible! 3 x 1M in 6:03, 6:10, 6:13 off 90 secs. The pace doesn't reflect the effort level that's for sure. I realised in the 2nd rep that the 6:03, though slow, was too hard effort wise when I started to retch really badly on the uphill section image. Couldn't face the 4th rep I'd originally planned (I know, I know - weak willed!)

Ps - do you drive to work??!!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

come on, fair play SG - avit's knowledge on that was deeper and greater than yours (and mine as well image) then you threw the first stone about if you know so much how come you are no good at running.  you got what you deserved there. image  Of course what Avit was on about regards profile pics is anyones guess!  you are in great form with the running at the moment, let that do the talking. 

ICE - i hate!  went proper tits over and landed on my shoulder just walking up my drive to the car. If it didnt hurt so much i would have laughed.  Glad no-one was around.  I managed 5m this morning at 6.30, It was cold.  Im like bambi on ice so definately wont be doing any quality outside until the ice clears.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

haha it wasn't quite worded that way Deano! But yes, maybe it did inflame him, but if you read back, he'd already arrived with a "I know more than you fools attitude" and needed bringing down a peg. Had a massive chip on his shoulder to say the least....

Certainly wasn't just me picking him up on details....can't geta  6 pack eating carbs? Right...

ps ice is deadly...probably limits you to parks/grass with XC shoes on really...quality is 100% out. Luckily round here seems to be good roads now...we've bypassed that inevitable snow melting then freezing the roads stage.

Bus, sure do. It is only a 2mile drive (1.5mile walk), and I've tried walking and running it, but I find it's too short a run with all my work gear to make any benefit, and walking it wastes time, and you arrive all sweaty as well. This way i'll be back by 5.15 or so, 10mins to change, and out and normally done by 6 unless it's a quality session.

certainly wasn't overly enamoured with the idea of 9+ miles round the park at effort later! Let's hope the roads are as good as they look!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good sharp short session from you Bus. That's the kind of  ideal light sort of sharpener for the week before a race. And it does take your mind a while to understand you can't hope to hit the same paces in the snow as on the roads!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey SG, it's people like you I spend my whole working life trying to dissuade image. What about a bike?

I remember when the weather was like this a couple of years ago just before Wokingham. I went out in the dark for a few intervals round the estate I live on. Most of the snow and ice had cleared, but I was mainly running on the road anyway, just in case. I jumped onto the pavement  to let a car pass and promptly hit the only bit of ice left - the remains of where some muppet had cleared his drive and piled all the snow on the pavement! Came down with a hell of a thump and had a dead leg for hours after! Luckily no permanent damage - should have sued the bugger!

The pavements in Hazlemere were still a bit dodgy SG when I went past on my bike a couple of hours ago, but down the bottom of the hill might be OK, and roads are clear. Be careful though, as we are due for a big freeze later on, so earlier might be better...

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice effort level anyway Bus.  You know you're working hard when you retch.  Well, I don't, because I've eased off ages before that!

SG, Ric: glad you're having fun.  I'm not anonymous enough on this forum to go off baiting angry people on other threads. 

Did a 12 last night.  Added to the 4 mile run to work that makes 16 the day after a XC.  Probably not advisable, but felt fine, surprisingly.  It was all easy pace though, except for the last mile which I decided to blast, ostensibly as half marathon training, but more accurately because I felt like it.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

some people just invite it...going onto a running website and giving it loads about quitting eating carbs,

needs to get off to some muscle mary's forum instead i think, and talk about dieting, and checking yourself out in the mirror!

Reminds me SG, I've had occasions when women have asked me if I go to the gym. My standard reply is along the lines of  'never'. Of disliking being in the presence of other guys preening themselves in front of the aforementioned mirrors.

This seems to go down well. I assume the lack of vanity may be one factor as well as the avoidance of other guys. 

Bus. A session of 6 minute miles on this muck strikes me as a tad strenuous.

Whereas training for me was 9 miles around the golf course, hills included, pace averaged 7:50's. Some effort, but not that much effort. Survival is the priority under these conditions.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

So far, I have been to the gym one time in my life, back at university.  I'm not intending to add to that anytime soon.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

Nice effort level anyway Bus.  You know you're working hard when you retch.  Well, I don't, because I've eased off ages before that!

Thanks - it was seconds before I realised the effort was a tad high!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs wrote (see)

SG, Ric: glad you're having fun.  I'm not anonymous enough on this forum to go off baiting angry people on other threads. 

Especially as he was boasting about his 6 hours of Karate a week image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You know things are going well when you can blast the last mile just cos you feel like it Dachs!

Ric - probably right, but diffiuclt to see when the quality sessions will come this week, and there's not been too mnay of them the past few weeks! Need to squeeze a tempo in sometime, but its long run time tomorrow - tbc whtehr off or on road.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, session done, and pleased with it. Roads were perfect, which was surprising after yesterday!

Warm up, strides, then an hour of tempo, broken down as 6x(6mins HMP, 4mins steady) continuously run.

9.7miles covered in the hour, average pace 6.12, which sounds about right, with HMP being top end 5.50, and steady 6.30+ and a couple of slight inclines here and there.

Funny how the steady feels like easy pace in this context! 14miles all in. Lovely. Glad i subbed it in, and didn't put off to later in the week, never know how the weather will turn.

ps Bus you around for any runs this week? EDIT just read your post above, how about joining me on sat pending the weather being good.... 12miler, 4miles easy, 4miles steady, 4miles MP.... MP top end is 6.10. Join for some or all as you feel?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric/Dachs, gyms aren't for the likes of us. Why pay for a gym when generally runners of our level are 75% running, and the rest being stretching/strengthening that can be done at home. If you're female, fair dos, as it's not safe on the streets at times, but for us, we're ok as we are.

And Dachs, it's not always possible to fit runs into their perfect slot, so probably ok to do as you did! Blasting the last mile shows you were recovered enough. I wouldn't ideally do a hard tempo 2 days after a XC race, but didn't have any DOMS at all. And couldn't do it on Wednesday/weather risk later in the week!

ps Dachs, results are out http://www.tvxc.org.uk/results/team?race_id=39#

They've got your name wrong...

interesting thing is the margin to the place above each of us respectively...1 and 2secs respectively!

you look at that in the cold light of day and think how did I not make it up...but at the time it felt so far away!