Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, I find the foam roller quite limited really, as the 2 bits that I find I can really get good purchase on, the calves and quads, generally are fine for me.

You can't really get into the hamstrings, as it's not hard enough.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I'm just a big kid Sg, that's why! Nothing like the crunch of snow underfoot! Like I say though, the novelty does wear off after a few days when food and beer runs out! Our place always takes longer than everywhere else for the snow to melt as well, which is why I've just spent an hour shovelling snow straight after my run home. The goggles were great by the way!

SS, do you do both calves together?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

better this week then in 3/4weeks time I suppose Bus!

Tomorrow is going to be a strain, although I suppose by the time I get onto the faster paces I'll have run myself a little trail round the park!! image

• Options

Bus, no one aknle over the other so all the pressure is on one. If I do two together there isn't enough pressure. It works well with the 'rumble roller' but that thing is pure evil and I literally can't hack any more than a minute at a time. First time I used it on my ITB it bruised both legs! Vile thing!  But I dod get the 33% firmer one, so it's my own fault!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PrhISpL6nsM/UOSwWP62b-I/AAAAAAAAAHI/dQYQk1n1c6g/s1600/587adf06399b8d876ed354f8e194.jpg

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Why don't you just go for a  XC run of about the same overall duration, varying the effort level to be about the same as the originally planned session? Not quite as effective, but less mind numbingly dull and it's actually a lot of fun running round the Chilterns in the snow!! 

Judging how tired my legs felt today, I think I'm going to have a rest day tomorrow (well, not exactly - taking the kids sledging at the golf course!) with an 8.5M of some form on Sunday to round up the week to 60.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

x post Stevie..

Ouch - that thing looks damn painful (or rather obscene, or both!). My own foam roller is starting to collapse now, so I need to think about getting another one. The More Mile own brand looks good value. I tend to do boht calves togtehr, but you're right, probably not enough pressure that way.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, you're lucky to have legs if you rub over that!

Bus...exactly that is what I'm planning...the duration that the 4mile section would take on the road. Will come out less mileage, but pro rata training benefit. Probably! Much easier to think "25mins at this intensity", then 4miles...

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Can't be doing with training and racing with niggles, strains and injuries.

It must be an age thing. The ability of being able to set aside the pain, race effectively and then go back to being crocked. I used to be able to do something similar myself once.

I noticed top runners such as Steve Jones and Ron Hill training like cripples, smashing out the mileage regardless. Then going off and nigh on breaking a world record. 

Then one day it happens. I read Ron Hills autobiography where you could sense the puzzlement that the training didn't seem to work anymore.

So for me under the current conditions, its all about looking after myself. It doesn't concern me that I'm only running every other day, because 50% is enough to keep things as they are.

Wokingham is only three weeks away. If the freeze up remains for the next two weeks, results may end up being just a measure of how skilled the runner was at self preservation during an ice age.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

pre race training is more for confidence boosting and ticking over then trying to develop any new ability though isn't it.

Bizarrely apparently the Bracknell XC people say that if the race is off on sunday they'll try and reschedule...

Surely by this time in the series it's best just left cancelled....

• Options

Must say the stick thing is a must for sore calves. That thing is gonna' get some right hammer! Not sure if I'm looking forward to a very pretty and scenic countryside long run or dreading the constant wheel spins I'll be doing on the ice!

Good luck to anyone trying to push the pace tomorrow! Those 4MP miles might be a tad dicey SG!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Absolutely SG, sometimes we are forced to hold station a while. As mentioned before, I've knackered myself attempting to train in conditions when no one else would.

I think the reasoning behind that was that by training when others were not, I'd gain an advantage. Its another case of picking the right battles. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie/Ric, some days you have to simply accept it'll be a "pro rata" session.

There's no way I'm hitting 6.10 MP with this level of snow!

Instead, it'll have to be to effort and time.

Otherwise 12miles might take 20mins extra, and smash me up way beyond the idea of the session.

Therefore, 30mins easy, 26mins steady, 24.40 MP, and the mileage comes out as it does.

Unfortunately Wycombe have declared the game ON today. Meaning I have to get there! Haven't been on a bus since the last snow day! Is a hassle! I used to do that every game, getting there an hour before the game, nightmare...I like to roll in at kick off!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

What do you mean? Buses are THE stress free way to travel image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I wish I'd taken the Bus last time, instead of getting a lift with a mate's deaf dad, who almost wiped a bunch of people out as my mate "signed" him directions, and then dumped me in some incredible dangerously iced up bit of the town that took over an hour to cover 2miles!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, you're clearly more than your average football supporter.

Never was too bothered myself. The first professional game I ever went to (1969) I saw George Best score. In fact the guy my cousin is married to, once mentioned that when he was a pro footballer; as a defender, it was his ambition to kick George Best.

An ambition fulfilled.

Running for me today was an easy 10 miles in the snow. The fellcross shoes kept the feet nice and dry and grip no problem. All dressed up (met a guy running in shorts) so carrying a lot of extra gear.

Average pace came out at 8:50 min miles, which is the sort of speed most guys on this thread could manage, but got me wondering.

What % of runners could average that pace for a 'parkrun' under ideal conditions in summer. Ans -  Just over half.

Aren't we brilliant!image

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good run Ric, you got out there and got a tidy run in. Nice Besty story too!Thankfully I don't even contemplate a drive to see United until March now!

Just done my progression run. I had conned myself into believing that I'd run it on time not mileage, which I honestly believed.

Until I got to 30mins, and I had about 3.85miles on the clock for the "easy pace" 4mile segment. I thought it would be ridiculous to not do the full 4.

So, once I'd done the full 4 for easy, I had to do the same for steady and MP.

The park was pretty snow, but not too bad, but even I can't manage 12miles round a park that you can just about call 1.5mile long, so I had a little galavant around the town.

Seeing an ex I hadn't seen for 3years just when I was smashing the pace on dry road was a boost that pretty much lasted til the finish.

Mile  12 was 6.59 which should have been 6.10+ zone, but it did have a hill, and boggy snow, so can'treally moan!

1.28 for 12.5miles including cool down, 7.02 average pace. that'll do.

wouldn't want to do this kind of session in the snow too often for sure!

50mins stretch, bath, eat then bus to wycombe game..could do without that but it is my duty!!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good sessions guys - bet you feel much better for it!

This mornings training was an hour of hard snow clearing before breakfast then an hour and a half of hill reps - well, dragging the sledge back to the top of the slope that is!

I was in my shorts yesterday Ric - bracing! I must have looked odd though on the way home, shorts, but pertex top, hatt, gloves and snow goggles!!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    My race has been canceled tomorrow. So my plans are all up in the air. Probably just push a 10m out later. Nice and slow in the snow.

Good session stevie, looks fast in these conditions
  • Options

Nice session SG, I'm looking at doing something similar in the week. When most people aren't running, any session in the snow is a good one.

17.1 mile long one for me in 2:16. Although my GPS stopped tracking at 13miles. Grrrr image Hate it when that happens, just as well it was step for step the same route as last week. Pace was circa 7:40, first few miles were slow to get going.

Few more weeks training before Helsby eh Dean, people moan that "it's a week wasted" if they taper and then a race is postponed. I find these weeks are just what you need to recover for some more extra training. Silver lining an' all that!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Good long session stevie s, Yeah know what you mean about a race canx. I only have a Xc race in feb so no road races until march now. So I'm treating this week as a recovery but in truth with the weather I wouldn't have been able to do a proper track or tempo session so nothing lost. All my focus is on wilmslow now.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It was Helsby that's been cancelled right Deano? See man's last paragraph confused me. The last XC of our series at Bracknell was called off as well. I wasn't doing it anyway.

Bizarrely they're saying they'll look at rescheduling. But bearing in mind they stopped having XCs in Feb to give a proper gap before road race season that does seem pointless. Having it next sunday is surely too short notice, then there's events that clash into Feb. Just bin it I think...different if it had been a November cancellation.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good runs guys. As long as we survive.

SG, The fact is, you not doing the Bracknell XC, had rendered the race a non event. The organisers were clearly just using the bad weather conditions as an excuse to call it off.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if only it all revolved around me image

What is a shame though, is the couple who manage our club's XC team so professionally, after 7 years are retiring from the job.

Therefore, Bracknell was going to be a big send off for them......shame if it doesn't get re-organised, as they'll miss out on that!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    SG- yes it was helsby. Looking on their website you can see some photos of the course and it would have been lethal. Must have been bad to cancel Xc
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Depends what kind of XC course really. Those saturday league races would have been fine. Each year I watch that Great Edinburgh XC elite race, and that usually has plenty of snow and it's safe as there's no surprises under the snow, just pretty much flattish grassy park.

But for some of these sunday xc races, you can't be 100% sure on the footing under the snow, so would be pretty unsafe.

Add in transport being a nightmare, and it's a no brainer decision.Word has it for the first time ever we have snow worse than the north image

• Options

Are they rescheduling it Dean, or is that it for 2013?

My legs are a bit tender today, think I have too many massage gizmos for my own good! Ha ha! I would recommend the stick though, much more civil then the dreaded foam roller and that spiky log I've got (which again has bruised me!)

Club mates are out at 8am for a 90min run tomorrow, if only I could get up at 7 that would be perfect! image

Has anyone else had many problems GPS wise? I feel like I've not actually run the 17.25 as my Nike+ log only says 13! Needless to say an email has been sent to the tech team to sort it (my OCD that is! image)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, I did clock my garmin suggesting I was at 2:41 miling at one point today!  Luckily most of the run was a bit more realistic!

Get up at 6 like I normally do image 

We can have a role reversal, as tomorrow I only have 2x3, so a "Lazy" 7 - 7.30 wake up tomorrow image

• Options

I don't know how you function getting up at 6 every day. I slept from 11:50 till 12 today, I get insanely tired by Friday. Will give it a go tomorrow though, I can always go back to bed! Will be good to get another easy 90mins under the belt early on.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Only Sundays Stevie....weekdays are a whole 30mins more in bed image

Have always been an early riser and early to bed type. All those years staying so super clean for football was a waste of time, finally found the sport where it pays off image

The hard time, was getting up at 6am, running a 16miler, then later in the day driving 45mins to the ex, spending all day there, then late on having that 45min drive home. Those were some knackering days image

• Options

Hats off to you sir, 16 before 8am. I would literally die! I'm glad to stay I'm still on the Peroni/Alcohol wagon for 2013. Only one more weekend to get through for January. Having said that I've just eaten a whole pack of Smarties cookies in 15mins image 

Football is useless for clean living cos' you turn up super fresh then you realise 5 of your team mates are still half cut from the bender the night before. At least with running you are in control of your own fate.

SG... 2 posts from 10k! image