Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, used to decline red wine since the only experience I'd had of it was the sort of stuff you would use to treat fences with. Quality now. I'll take a sip from a bottle. If it doesn't stack up, straight down the drain with it.

My cheapskate sister has given me 'turps' so often, I just phone my source on these matters and give them the details. Answers are from 'you can take a chance' and 'bin it as received'. 

5 miler today as a fartlek session. Well, not really as controlled as that. More a case of holding a pace until I realised I couldn't and then stopping on account of over cooking things. Recover, start again, blow up a bit, stop and have a breather.

Despite being all dressed up, the moving pace averaged about 6 minute miling. However, I've no doubt that sub six minute mile race pace is going to involve levels of discomfort. The question I'm asking myself is how long can I put up with it before dropping back into the comfort zone?

At least I have no aches and pains in the legs. Just lungs today,

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie 3.30km pace is etched on my brain as 35min flat pace, so that looks a cracking session from you.

• Cheers mate, I actually hit 3:28 for the first rep and thought "SG is looking at hitting 10 of the on the bounce!" Madness.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

when you word it like that it'll be hard work image 

Rumour has it the man whose name adorns this thread could be there tomorrow. That would help!

• Which race is it you're doing tomorrow? Is it the Chichester 10K? Lets hope for no wind tomorrow then.

• Especially if you forget your watch again!

Another very good session there Stevie. as was that 5 miler Ric, albeit two very different pieces of work.

13M for me today. Not the progression I'd originally planned, thanks to tired legs with a few aches and pains, but not too bad despite that. Averaged 7:15 pace, but that includes 2 warm up miles of 7:30, 1 warm down of 8:15 and 2 miles straddling the 1.6M climb of Beacon Hill that averaged 8:20 each, so all the other ones were sub 7 and felt comfortable.

If I don't post again tonight, then good luck tomorrow SG. I've lost track - who else is racing tomorrow?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep Stevie, should be the highest quality 10k I've done.  2,000 strong field, sub 30 front of packers etc.

There's apparently 3 inclines and a bit through an airfield  but last 2km downhill, so we'll see how that all pans out!

Hit 35.41 at Southend with a windy last 3km in Sep , 35.09 as the 10k split within the Great South Run in Oct , and 35.24 on a pretty windy 10k last time in out in Dec with Bus.

Current pb (as you can't count splits) is 35.20.

Anyone fancy guessing on the time tomorrow? Nearest guess wins. Erm...wins the esteem of being right image

Bus, where's the MP and HMP miles image Just kidding, this close to Wokingham it's one las re-assurance in getting a nice long run in. Any day next week that you're working at home? Could potentially meet for a run again.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    SG, good luck for Chichester. My guess is 34:39. You'll smash 35 as long as the wind is kind.

Bus, I didn't think 36 quid was too much for a marathon. But then I did pay 100 euros for Berlin.

13 easy for me ofay. Took in the first/last 1.5 miles of the Wokingham route, just to remind myself of all the turns etc. Felt comfortable, and the legs felt loose and springy, which is a good sign.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

If you can resist the fast start SG, I'd say sub 35 minutes. 

The fast start area to avoid is the full chat from a standing start. A gradual acceleration over the first 400m to 600m to top speed is a far more controlled tactic than just the Wildebeast stampede.

Just imagine holding back 10m over the first 100m. That's a 10% reduction in speed/effort. 

I've a video of me doing a sub 34 minute 10k which shows me letting the leaders just race away at the start. At 11 minutes they had 30 seconds lead, at 22 minutes the lead was 10 seconds. I won by 20 seconds.

🙂

• I'm going for 34:50 on a windy course.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

No speculation from me on any of my races.

I do the training and on the day give as good as I can be at that moment in time.

I just go as fast as I can without blowing up and hang it out the whole way.

Can't see a lot of point looking at the watch if all I'm thinking is, "I've got it!" "I've buggered it!", "I've got it!", "No its gone again!". Waste of energy.

Thinking uses a lot of oxygen.

🙂

• Ric, I like hearing your knowledge and about the experiences you have had.

PMJ - what kind of effort was your parkrun?

Seb - remind me, is your training partner still Hywel?

I've been hiding out with a mini-taper for today's du, but still reading the thread.

I finally broke 20 minutes for 5km at a very windy Dorney today, on the first run of the duathlon. Run leg was slightly longer at 5.12km run and I ran it with an avg pace of 3:57. Strangely it didnt feel as hard as slower efforts at parkrun and XC, and HR on the run was in the 180s so not too high for me.
    Certainly at parkrun I have felt fit to puke at the end, whereas here I managed to bang out a 34 minute 20km bike, then another 5km run in 21:27.

The strong wind grew steadily, picking up throughout the morning but plenty of people to chase.

No idea on position yet as the timing printer broke but the same performance last year would have yielded 10th place. Waiting for on-line results, however it bodes well for the qualifier in 2 weeks. I'd like to think this is indicative of a sub-40 10km, and will gladly accept advice & opinions on it.

Good luck tomorrow SG, and others racing. Count me out of the marathon this yearimage.

• Cat, nice work on the first sub 20 5KM, looks like the parkrun outings have paid off.

My experience with a first sub-40 10K is I ran 18:58 on a quick 5K course, then ran 39:34 a week later. You need 30-40 seconds spare in your 5K time so a 19:30 would be a minimum requirement I would say.  In November, I ran 17:23 for 5k then turned that into a 35:51 10k so even though I had improved the margin between the 2 distances was still similar.

• Nice one Cat. Not qualified to give an opinion on the trasition to sub 40 though, as my first 5k was a long time after my first 10k - whihc in turn was a long time after I'd done a fair few halves and was on form to go sub 40 first time out luckily.

SG - hey, you know me and structured training image. I did get a couple of MP miles in, but nothing approaching HMP - did those on Wednesday...

Dachs - I agree, £36 isn't excessive for a marathon and less than a pair of trainers, so small in the grand scheme of things, especially as I aint gonna be doing a stack of them anytime soon! Just struck me as a bit perverse this morning to want to spend money on something that is going to cause so much effort and pain! It does have its rewards though....

It's a shame Chichester doesn't start a bit earlier SG, as the forecast is for the wind to pick up during the morning. Either way though, I reckon you've defintely got the form for a sub 35 and the wind will just influence how far under that sub is.

• Cheers guys. I'd hope that becuase I held back on the first 5km there is still time in the bank. Plus the second 5km was after a hard bike.

The Bus wrote (see)

It's a shame Chichester doesn't start a bit earlier SG, as the forecast is for the wind to pick up during the morning. Either way though, I reckon you've defintely got the form for a sub 35 and the wind will just influence how far under that sub is.

The wind will make or break this. It's a case of maintaining the pace in to wind and not slipping off target.

£36 is a bargain. Today's jaunt was £32!

• Another 4.8 miles in tonight. Tight calf again though, strange how it was fine at 5:40 pace ealier but gets upset at 7:10 pace!

Hope the wind doesn't spoil my long run, I'm plotting routes not too exposed.

Good luck tomorrow for racers and long runners alike.

• Those Votwo events are pretty pricey IC and I guess most triathlons are! I toyed with the idea of doing the 10k today, but looked at the wind and thought my £20 would be better off in my wallet image

My left calf is a bit tght too Stevie, after all the recent road stuff. Sure it'll pass for us both!

• The Bus wrote (see)

Just looked at the Abingdon entry - £36 

A lot of money, and in return? Just under 3 hours of pain

I'm looking at Newcastle Town Moor marathon, the week after Abingdon. At £15 it is a snip but then there is the issue of a 500 mile round trip. Just under 3 hours is not pain, just over 3 hours is pain.

IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

PMJ - what kind of effort was your parkrun?

Still low effort. Time was 20:38 so still very easy just to get the legs ticking over. I reckon I must have lost 8 weeks. I used to reckon it takes 2 weeks to recover from 1 off, so by that thinking 4 to 6 months to get back, but logic also says that I have been back for two weeks and I am better than I was after 7 weeks off so any ideas on time to get back? I reckon a month from now I will be able to train fully and a month after that be somewhat competitive at the Maidenhead 10 but my record of never over the hour will surely fall.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I was training for Chester marathon Phil and missed the best part of 6 weeks running. Eventually had to pull out as I was still unable to run by the time it was race day. It was a foot problem I had but I tried to do plenty of miles on a spinning bike to keep ticking over.

A few weeks later I tried a park run and although I ran 17.49 it was by far my slowest time and felt the toughest run I'd had. 10 weeks after getting back running I then ran a 10k PB. Not sure if the bike had worked wonders? How long had you been injured?. Hopefully it won't take you long to get back to full steam.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good luck SG!

Team relay for me today. First relay I've done and its 3x 5km loops on trail/fell so looking forward to it. I'm running the first leg so I should see the best of the conditions under foot.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Have a good one SG.

Well done on the break through Iron!

Nice to hear you're running Phil.

Happy Sunday everyone else image

On subject of Fell running, I ran with a visitor on our club night before Xmas. He was visiting his sister who runs with us. He lives in Lake District and we got talking about fell running as I was reading Feet in the Clouds at the time. He mentioned that his picture was in the book. I thought nothing of it and chatted about how I loved the chapters on the Fell running 'Legends'. When mentioning specifically what an unbelievable legend Joss Naylor was, he just dropped into the conversation that Joss is his Father in Law. Cue the next 30 minutes of some amazing stories.

Tough session for me later. Have to nip out of moving house for 2.15 hours with 3x 15 mins MP in last 60 mins. I ache like bugger after unloading 2 vans up 3 floors yesterday so not looking forward to it (which is a bad start already!!)
  • Now that is  quality story Johnas! Colin Dulson? He organises the Ennerdale Horseshoe amongst other races. Good runner in his own right.

Philip, just under 3 hours would also be a pain-just under2.55 would be Ok, but just under 2.50 would make the effort worth while!

Matt, yet again I'm jealous of your raceimage

• mattl the injury has been on and off for ages. Can't quite put a definitive reason on it but it I got my first pain in my right foot after Wokingham Half last year so Feb 19th 2012. I have run 1300 miles since then so not all gloom and doom but it seems to have been a minor injury and then I compensated and ignored and each thing I did to avoid one thing cascaded another and I was too thick skinned to stop and rest properly.

The Bus wrote (see)

Philip, just under 3 hours would also be a pain-just under2.55 would be Ok, but just under 2.50 would make the effort worth while!

Virgin London marathon 2014 I am driving the sub-2:50 bus so anyone who wants to go sub 2:50 just needs to start ahead and stay ahead or start alongside and not slip back. The thing with your Abingdon plan is that you won't get entry into London 2014 with that plan and your GFA from 2011 will have expired.

• Yeah, but IF I do Abingdon it would be at least 2015 before I do another one anyway, and if I go sub 2.50, I wouldnt feel the need to ever do one again!!

• The Bus wrote (see)

Yeah, but IF I do Abingdon it would be at least 2015 before I do another one anyway, and if I go sub 2.50, I wouldnt feel the need to ever do one again!!

I don't feel the need to do a standalone mara. Though as we discussed during the week, only people that run marathons are runners, even if they take 9 hours. I'm pencilling in another IM in 2015.

Thanks for the info on the 10km guys; for both this and a 5km it would be about finding a good PO10 friendly UKA race of each distance, probably in Autumn. One has to have the times rubber stamped!

8 miles slow XC with the club to run off yesterday. Looks like an afternoon washing cars then an evening with the foam roller.

Any news from SG yet?

• Congratulations SG! Won't spoil the party by giving away the time image 

Looking forward to the full race report now....

• The Bus wrote (see)

Congratulations SG! Won't spoil the party by giving away the time image 

Looking forward to the full race report now....

Quality field when he doesn';t even make page 1 of the results.

• A tough 16 in 2 hours today. Not very exciting.

Off to find the Chichester 10k results online...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

34:43 image

Need to stretch, bath and eat, but will be back on later to revel in it.image

• Congrats Stevie. A jolly big chunk to knock off the pb., that's probably worth 90 secs off over a half....