Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I've heard similar from another gent of your age range BN. He ended with a 5miler that was a good minute out of sync with his other distances. He wonders if it was short.

Might have been a particular top performance though, but might have been simply a short course...how hot were organisers on certified courses back then?

A local top runner round here, lists sub 33 as his 10k pb. But power of 10 listed it as a "short 10k". Beauty of today is that it's a pretty conclusive answer.

Either way, even if 32s were your best that's super hot!

Just read a thread where people are saying they never do warm ups.  I bet they're writing on another thread about how they always find the first mile hard, or how they get injured etc image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, you guess right about the work patterns. Winter is my quiet time, so what I get up to in training strikes me on occasions as somewhat unrepresentive.

Not a case of sleeping the days away between sessions mind. Always something that needs sorting out.

🙂

• Never done a proper warm down yesterday... Paying the price today....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i remember the days of no warm up for a race.

Wow that first mile used to be horrendous.

• Quite agree... Got caught out yesterday with the herding-up 15min before start, then the bimble to the start... Wasn't the best warm-up....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I completely bypassed the herding. I need my last min preparations if you know what I mean! Luckily I was able to scoot up the right hand side of the pavement, and pretty much started in the ideal position.

Randomly  recognised a chap I'd beaten by a good 90secs at the Cabbage Patch 10miler, must have been ahead of me for a good 4k.

Must have overcooked it quite a bit!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Wycombe on Sky I notice.

Yellow card for Scowen. Which other player whose surname begins with Sc gets a regular yellow card?

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, am watching it. Livened up after a poor start.

good question. Anyone called Scott!

• Bluenose74 wrote (see)

The Silverstone 10k, thats a blast from the past... Done a couple of them 20 years ago, and the results are in the archive... 34.36 in 92 & 33.51 in 93... Must have had a couple of off nights... All I can remember about them, is that it was hilly-ish and windy... Plus the Williams Team was doing a bit of testing before one of them...

I reckon we must have finished a few seconds apart. I raced Silvertsone when #1 was a baby so it had to be 92 or 93 and I was a shade inside 34: running for Leamington C&AC at the time. Do you have printed results?

• Phil, found them earlier on the silvertone 10k web site... Archives go back to 92...

• 7.5 @ 7:10 nice and easy, heart rate still at 157 too. Fitness is coming on nicely.

This must be a typo but our session is 5 x 1KM (3mins) @ 3K pace. image Hopefully that's not for real. My 3K pace is 3:20, nice recoveries but 5 reps!!

Then a right cracker on Thursday: 3 x 4 Mins (2 Mins) 3 x 3 Mins (90 Secs) 3 x 2 Min (60 Secs) 3 x 30 secs. Time to zip up the man suit.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie see wrote (see)

Deano, 2:59? Very cautious of you and food for thought for my own aspirations. I'm entering one next spring either London or... Boston. I want to make a big deal out of it first time.

If my plan goes right by then I'll be nearing 35 mins for 10k and have a predicted mara time of 2:42. I'd be aiming for 2:49-2:55... is that a bit ambitious?

Looking forward to seeing you blast a few 800's this year Dean, will I be seeing you at the Trafford open meets then?

stevie - im defn taking it cautious (for now!) but as philip said going through the halfway in 1.25 still leaves me with options. Dachs got a 2.50 with some excellent prep so anything in the 2.4x's wont come easily.  anyway there is still 15months image
    i have a feeling you might have a good conversion up the distance though.

will look at trafford open and stoke open plus vets league for the track.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Bluenose, that's some pedigree!

Eschewed my usual tempo tonight for something a bit more sedate - 8 miles, mostly easy (7.30 ish) but incorporating 2 x 1 mile, theoretically at half marathon pace. They came out at 5:38 and 5:30, so blatantly not HMP. I guess I went quicker in the knowledge that I wasn't going further than a mile. Still, promising that that didn't feel like full on rep pace.

Anyway, no particular training benefit intended, just wanted to remind myself what going fast feels like before wokingham.
  • .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

Seb - Sorry to hear about the lay off, will that keep you out of birm Xc on sat?

Not sure yet, wont decide until Friday. Just been informed Im leading the race to become club XC Champion, something to do with best 5 results over the season in team competition, so might need to attend to further that cause. I hear the course is flat and boring so doesnt really suit me but might not aggravate the leg too badly.

Ill try and get a club place for VLM 2014 if I cant get on the champs start.

Ironcat - yeah still training with Hywel, He's got illusions of low 2:30's at VLM, which sounds like it could end in a nasty blow up to me.

• Phil... Looking back at the results in 93, there's a P Muddeman from Leamington, that finished with the same time as me 33.51... Is that you????

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bluie...a lot of us use aliases on here but Phil's is his actual name...he wasn't running under his weekend name or anything image

Try 92...and 1 second slower... I think...92 results are hard to read!

A chap from my club told me I'd beaten his pb that had stood since 1989 on Sunday. In fairness it was only 1 second under my previous one (35.20 v 35.19!)

He has however got a half pb of 1.15.58, but that's clearly a notch up from a 35.19 10k. It's a notch up from a 34.43 10k in fairness, but he said he was hauled around by a pal that day.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

Johnas - I wonder if I ran against you as a kid then?  Yeovil is where I did most of my track racing back then, presumably as it was just about the only place in the local league with a decent track.  Mainly 800/1500

It would surprise me if we didn't go to at least some of the same meets which were held at Yeovil track as I also ran the 1500. I trained at Yeovil track once a week but did all the rest of my training at Millfield as I got picked up by a coach after he saw me racing in the Street 5k series. If you ever ran XC and got further than the district finals then I'm pretty sure we would have met as I'm only a couple of months older than you.

Stevie see wrote (see)

If my plan goes right by then I'll be nearing 35 mins for 10k and have a predicted mara time of 2:42. I'd be aiming for 2:49-2:55... is that a bit ambitious?

I don't think so. As mentioned before, I'd say we're pretty close to eachother at the moment and sub 2.55 would be well in your grasp if ran sensibly with the proper training. have you considerd Greater Manchester marathon next April? I've heard it meant to be the fastest in the UK (although, if i was targeting my first marathon, I'd be aiming for an Autumn one - much easier training over summer, autumn temps are great for long distance and there's a multitude of fast european marathons to chose from (Berlin, Frankfurt, Amsterdam)

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Johnas - sounds like we would have raced a few times then.  I did loads of cross-country, far more than track, and ran in the cross-country league we were a member of between about 1990 and 1995.  My memory is patchy, but I think Yeovil were in the league too. Ran tons of courses at e.g. Swindon, Weymouth, Salisbury, Burnham-on-Sea (up on the sea wall!), Midsomer Norton, Bristol, Taunton.  Never finished higher than about 8th though, as I was a very average mid-packer as a kid, so I imagine I'd have been a bit behind you.

Closest I got to representing anyone was about 11th in the county XC championships (or whatever it was), but that was during a flu epidemic...

• .Seb wrote (see)

Ironcat - yeah still training with Hywel, He's got illusions of low 2:30's at VLM, which sounds like it could end in a nasty blow up to me.

You'll have to rein it in... His name cropped up whilst I was searching/stalking some of my fellow competitors from last Sat. Results were split in to MS/MS/MSV rather than the 5yr age bands, so I wanted to know how I really did.

Tempo run for me at lunch, with my shiny new pace zones. Aiming for 4:06/km for Short Tempo. Couple km warmup, then 3km ST, few km cooldown.

4:44, 4:43, 3:55, 3:58, 3:59, 5:02, 4:57 image

I've done little quality run training of late. It's all about the bike image

• Bluenose74 wrote (see)

Phil... Looking back at the results in 93, there's a P Muddeman from Leamington, that finished with the same time as me 33.51... Is that you????

OK, confusing everyone there. So it ws in fact 1994 (I knew it was after #1 and before #2) so

http://www.silsonjoggers.org.uk/images/uploaddocs/10k_results_1994.pdf

36th overall, P Jones of Leamington C&AC 33:59, masterful slide under 34and ahead of Paul Muddeman

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

so the P Jones in 91 obviously wasn't you then Phil? 33:53? If I even read it properly!

Must be an odd thing seeing your pb was 19years ago!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

PB, 15 years since my last.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I guess like you said once, you don't know at the time that it is your last pb!

I suppose the trick is one nice braekthrough, then taking a while to equalise across the distances.

And by that time you have another breakthrough in you image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

At the time I ran my first and still fastest marathon, the idea that i couldn't knock 10 minutes off it would have seemed ludicrous.

The day of my fastest 10 miler, there were reasons I didn't go a minute quicker.

The Half marathon was different in that I was actually quite annoyed, upset even. I knew that day I could never ever go any quicker. I was at every limit with every advantage that day. Still, on reflection I'm glad I did it. 73:43 was sub 35 minute 10k's twice and more!

🙂

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Must be an odd thing seeing your pb was 19years ago!

It isn't so odd and it is only 18 years anyway. I ran a marathon in 1992 and then my next was 19 years later in 2011. The time I did last year is, I think, my PB. The 10k for a 29 year old comes out at 79.1% WAVA and as SG says it is pretty much aligned so my 10 mile and half (just inside 56 and 75 respectively) are also on or about 79%. I remember the 10k well and I knew that I left everything on the course, there was nothing more to give.

The good thing is I have never suffered a slow down: soon after this the number of kid sand work etc meant I had to take a step back from running and when I started again I was a chunk back and have improved since then. The hard thing is now accepting that at some stage I won't be able to get better and will face a steady decline.

Look at Chichester 10k:
    First open 29:54
    First MV40 33:07
    First MV50 34:31
    First MV60 40:04

That step from MV50 to MV60 is a big one and I turn 50 in 2015 so not far off.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That MV40 was our own PP from the MG thread.

Bluenose...that MV60 time looks similar to yours on Sunday, but you don't look cloe to 60 in your pic, so probably a mere coincidence!

Phil, we'll allow you 18 years then, but surely May 1994 to Feb 2013 being 18 + 9months rounds up to 19 years.

Especially as you reckon anything under the minute rounds up in times image

ps a 50+ year old doing 34:31. image Sort it out!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    ps a 50+ year old doing 34:31. image Sort it out!

Steve James 33:29 at Eastleigh in 1998 aged 60

http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=0&event=10K&venue=Eastleigh&date=15-Mar-98

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Of course, back in those days, you had to run in tweed britches, big clunky boots and carrying a sack of coal over your shoulder, so it was worth a couple of minutes in todays terms.
  • Stevie... Am 52 mate... Could of past for a 60 year old after the race....

I ran the Swindon 10k ten weeks ago in 39.47, and I class that as my PB, when I joined my current club, I was informed that PB's over five years old aren't reconised, don't know if's that club policy or AAA's policy...

Imagine telling Seb Coe, that his 800mtr time of 1.41.XX isn't reconised anymore... 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's probably a casual thing to encourage guys with monumental early day times (like you), to keep smashing still good in the scheme of things times.

I tried to get my old club a bit more organised to celebrate a pb if someone had done it, by getting everyone to fill in their pbs on a sheet I prepared. There was a section for vets too...think we did a "last 3 years" rule.

Hardly anyone bothered to complete it, one of the many examples of my wasted enthusiasm there!

Bluenose, is the Swindon 10k faster than Chichester then? You must have been around a lot of the country's races, any other super fast races you'd recommend?

ps Phil, a 60year old doing 33.29. Well, pure amazing. Although that shows on PO10 as his pb, he must have had the ability to be one of the best few in the country.