Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• It's the number of reps that would scare me! But then I am a lightweight when comes to reps anyway!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, for a 10K, unless its a major major target, I normally do the full reps session, and that's on a wednesday rather than tuesday, so even closer to the race.  I then take the rest of the week easy (but still run).  I find it beneficial to have done some fast stuff in the week preceding, and have no issues with recovery.  I've even done a full reps session in the week preceding a half marathon, and still PB'ed convincingly.

Caveat would be if there are any niggles.  And, of course, it all depends how you recover from track sessions.

Everyone is individual I suppose, but the only reps I would be avoiding would be the short sharp stuff, i.e 200s, which I suffer from for a couple of days afterwards.  Having said that, 35 secs per 200 for you shouldn't be a fast enough pace to have those effects.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers chaps...have to say that Rics 30*200m to finish within 30mins sounds right up my street.  I would enjoy that one.  Think i will bank it and try it out in a few weeks.

coach has just text and he agrees with many of you, he didnt realise im racing on sunday,  and offered up whats known in the game as "the BUS session" a 6*800 in 2.30 off a 400 jog rec.  so fast enough enough session to be of value but not too fast or too long to be in my legs come sunday and of course im coming back from my injury too.  the reason i was hesitant is its not an A race but its flat and maybe i can put a fast one out as i dont run many 10k's but my HM in 4weeks is the A race and the original session would have been good for that.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

IT'S TRACK TUESDAYS! We're all looking quite similar tonight so far

Dean - 6*800 in 2.30 (400 jog recoveries)

SS - 6*800 @ 3K pace (3min rcoveries)

Johnas - 2* (6*400) @ 5K pace (45 - 60 sec recoveries) + 20 mins @ MP

• track for me also! Good to read everyones run progress:

6 x 800m. First partial 200 @ 5k, second faster. 2min recovery

Will then run home 2M

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I also like the sound of that session ricf. I think ive managed to locate a track where im I've and im going to jog down tonight and see if im ok to use it tomorrow evening. Are they usually open to anybody as i usually use the one my club uses.

Im waiting til tomorrow as my thighs are heavy after Saturdays race then Sundays silly 20.11 miles. :-/ with being away for a fortnight id thought id bank a long run in prep for the 3 peaks race. You live and learn.

I might well do that session ric, if not this week then next.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Should say - where I am working. . .
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, it was random in that Dean was asking should he do his planned session, or less, and you whipped in with a completely different session entirely image

Just done my main session this week. Slightly easier than last week, in that there was no 4x200 at 1500 to start it.

The rest was the same, 4miles MP, and then 4x200 at 1500.

Average of 5.58 for the MP, ranging from the feeling like I was coasting on the slight descent with no wind, to the working harder on the incline with heavier wind!

Couldn't get to the track so did the 200s on my watch on random paths.

Got the first one wrong and came out 38, but then 34-35 for the other 3 was a bit more like it. Clearly wasn't going to hit the slightly faster paces hit at the track. Bit less impeded there, and no slight inclines!
    2nd session of the week is a parkrun on saturday! Get to choose where and when until then!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

, do less reps or something else?  What would you do?

Ah, SG, this bit must have been missing when you read it. The mischief of editing.

parkrun or Park Run to annoy the brand.

I've been thinking about the Gladstone parkrun. Supposed to be flat & paved, only a bit of grass.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The park run people seem to be very worried about the branding.

And it's annoying when they make out they aren't races, but are time trials.

I've 3 choices for saturday.~

• do the one a short walk away, that's won in the 18.30-19 range most weeks
    • do Bushy, 40mins away, which can have 10 under 17mins, but is MT on power of 10
    • do Dulwich, 60mins away, which is luck whether there's 2 or more sub 17, but counts as a 5k!

Edging towards number 3 at the mo. What would you lot do?

ps Ric, from those options only please old son...no crazy other option!

• Bushy! I did Hampstead (very hilly) last Sat, looking to do Bushy in a couple of weeks. Whats "MT"?

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I've got a parkrun to do next Saturday and am probably going to give Dulwich a crack - not far from me in Kent and like the sound of pavement all the way

Phil - unless mistaken, MT means multi-terrain

EDIT: Actually meant to do the parkrun THIS saturday too if you're keen on Dulwich SG?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/dul.png

/members/images/493151/Gallery/dul1.png

I'd say Dulwich Park. Hilly it isn't. Slightly awkward location.

I might do the Battersea Park 10 mile myself.

A man's race.

Unless its a bit chilly.

🙂

• dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

coach has just text and he agrees with many of you, he didnt realise im racing on sunday,  and offered up whats known in the game as "the BUS session" a 6*800 in 2.30 off a 400 jog rec.  

Nah, the bus session is the same distance (maybe 1/2M though) and no. of reps, but traditionally done at a much more sedate pace than that....

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)
    I might do the Battersea Park 10 mile myself.

A man's race.

Unless its a bit chilly.

that did make me chuckle out loud

• SG, do Bushy as you'll be in good company field wise, and it's a decent course (I hear). It's not an 'A' race and you'll be hitting faster courses in the year, so it being an MT is irrelevant as far as an official PB goes. Of the Parkruns Bushy does seem to have the better reputation and 40 mins is a good distance for a 5K. Unless is a big race 1hour+ for a Parkrun is a bit much.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

All true Stevie, I suppose I'm greedy for an entry in that "5k" section on po10.

Johnas, that could be just the ticket if you're coming along and ready to run hard. That could be just that fearful/adrenaliney feeling I need to perform well. i remember that feeling from the Marlow reps we used to do! image

Couple of miles before, and a couple after, and it'll be a good catchup.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

The park run people seem to be very worried about the branding.

And it's annoying when they make out they aren't races, but are time trials.

I've 3 choices for saturday.~

• do the one a short walk away, that's won in the 18.30-19 range most weeks
    • do Bushy, 40mins away, which can have 10 under 17mins, but is MT on power of 10
    • do Dulwich, 60mins away, which is luck whether there's 2 or more sub 17, but counts as a 5k!

Edging towards number 3 at the mo. What would you lot do?

ps Ric, from those options only please old son...no crazy other option!

Bushy is busy. 5KMT is no use to man nor beast. Got for the 5K proper. *Note to self, find 5K proper for PO10, rather than set PBs on 5KMT or 5KNAD*

Fecking plane was delayed then went tech so didn't run when I got to the hotel. Probably wise as the ITB is a bit lumpy today, hopefully nothing more than banging my suitcase on it too much. We'll see how it is in the morning image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, at least you can claim a 5kMT as a pb to yourself. The 5KNAD, is well...a bunch of utter nads. Utterly pointless.

Dulwich it is. Yes it's an hour drive early on a sat, but it's a proper 5k, which gets something on the record however it goes. And Johnas coming will ensure there's at least one other there who can put a shift on.

ps you're a right globe traveller, what do you do by the way? Not sure it;'s ever come up?

• Near as dammit pointless image

• 200.9 miles for me in 2013: didn't realise or I would have cheered at the 200 point. Lunchtime handicap race and I am about a minute down on my PB over a toughish course that is 3.25 miles. Encouraging that I am now back to within 1 minute of my 5k PB sort of form, know that the last minute is the hardest to get back.

Track session on Thursday, need a magic session for 5k speed, stick to the 1000m reps or something different?

• Nice one Phil, up and motoring again.

TRACK TUESDAY!

Session was changed, so it was:

(3 min (90s), 2min (60s), 1min (30s) 30s) x 3

with 3mins between sets. Jogging recovery. Hope that makes sense... image

Average pace: 3mins (5:22), 2min (5:21), 1min (5:05), 30s (4:45). Felt like I was moving well and the calf/hamstrings were quiet(ish) enough to get on with it.image

• Nice (if slightly complicated!) session Stevie!

Philip, I suspect you'll find the opposite re that last 1 minute. Now you've re-built your fitness, the muscle memory will find that speed. That session has got to be 6 x half mile (or 800m for the continentals!) surely???!

IC - sounds a right pin with that flight. Glad I rarely go anywhere with work!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Iron, thankfully im only a 3 hour drive from home. I wouldn't fancy trying to squeeze sessions in around flights and in different countries.

phil, good to see you're making your way back. Obviously doing it the right way where as I would be getting frustrated and trying to bite off more than I can chew with each session, probably ending up back at square one.

Quick pace there Stevie on the back of the xc! Id be amazed if you didn't get a fair chunk knocked off your pb.

I had a run up to the local track (2.5 miles) then found out the floodlights only go on for the local clubs session every Tues and Thurs. They were underway so I was advised to contact them. Hopefully they won't mind an extra body on Thursday and next Tues. Decided to then do 4 mile at tempo which came out at 5.45 for the 4 then a 1 mile warm down. I'm always thinking that it seems inconceivable I'll be able to go over 15secs quicker per mile come Trafford. I seem to dismiss the fact I've done 4 this morning before the evenings run. i find tempo runs really tough. Suppose that means they're working.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Nice session stevie, got talking to me club mate who you beat at the nationals and he was very pleased with how he ran.

Matt, I could get depressed thinking about tempo paces and my lack of ability to hit them... But come race day there is no problem hitting faster. I'm convinced you will be similar.

Finished my BUS session, 6 * 0.5m in 2.30 felt comfortable so hoping the injury is behind me. Just hope I haven't lost much strength so I can keep a high pace for 10k. Not expecting a PB, but it won't stop me trying to get one image
  • Maybe that rest is just what the doctor ordered Deano. Not sure about the Stoke Open as yet, I'm going to see how ring rusty track wise I am after I've run in the tin-pot Cheshire league 3K. I'm unsure how I'd handle a 5K on the track! But the offer of a pro-pacer is hard to turn down image

I had a Po10 stalk and I put away a fair few 34 min 10K guys so i must've done alright. It was one of those racer thought where it's if you fancy it or not. I saw a lot of guys clearly just trying to survive and get it finished.

Glad it's not just me who find tempo a right grind! I'm having another go at one on Saturday morning before the athletics on the telly. I found 3 miles OK so I'll have a stab at 4. That's if I can walk after 8 x 1KM off a minute on Thursday image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Had a go this morning in race kit adjusted for the chill.

Arms went numb, so long sleeve Helly if I bother.

Cold air making it damn near impossible to relax. Need something closer to my ideal 25 deg C.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, I thought older runners were always giving it loads about how hardy they are, and how even icy antarctic weather wouldn't make them think twice about getting out there!

Right, that's enough Ric teasing.

10miles done, 7.04 average. Not quite sure when the easy pace jolted down so much, but officially the zone is 6.53 to 7.45 now.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Don't tease Ric or he'll whip out his big fish.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Ric, I thought older runners were always giving it loads about how hardy they are, and how even icy antarctic weather wouldn't make them think twice about getting out there!

Apart from Wokingham, obviouslyimage

In a similar vein to Dean, I have a race Sat am and am wondering whether the mile reps at the track tonight will kill me and ruin any chances I have, or be the making of me...