Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, checked the Datchet championship, and looks like Marlow 5 isn't on it, which is good news, as the plan involving me you and Bus can potentially come off now.  Fill you in tomorrow and see if you're game,

From your 800s looks like we can tweak the pace up from 7.30 to 7.20s tomorrow now image

ps is the Chievley Chase some kind of Everest type hilly course then? Or did the winner just have a kip for 5mins or something?

I saw that some random race I won 3 years or so ago has been re-branded as a 10k, and saw that the winner ran it in something like 42mins last year. Then I checked his power of 10 and he's a 34min man! Must be tastily hilly!

Matt, sounds odd, and with a race tomorrow too? Fingers crossed.

Bus, as I can't blimming PM you at the mo, it's "use it or lose it" before end of March holiday time at work, so I have most of next week off. We'll see if we can fit a run or 2 in.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

OK - will see what I can do, though there's lots of peopel off work next week, so am not sure about when/if I can workat home.

MAtt - have you tried rotating the foot in each direction like you are drawing a circle with your toes outstretched? If its a trapped nerve, that may release it - good luck!

Talking of pothunting, did anyone spot the Tempest 10 (run at the same time as the Sptifire 20) was won in a time of 59:3X this year?

I've got my own little pothunting race coming up (por as I prefer to call them, a nice hilly , new locl race!) but I'n sure Frank (and EoG)will turn out to spoil the fun as its his type of race too image

Wish they'd sort out this website - this writing is tiny!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Beaconsfield 5miler?

Rules of a good pot hunt seem to be along the below lines

• First year event
    • Partly/fully offroad MT
    • Not put on by a running club
    • 2 distances on at the same time, (do the shorter event)
    • Other local events being run on the same day.

A mixture of the club I used to run for picking some low key local level races, and me also having a period of trying to come higher up in events, meant I did a fair few of these types!

However, it comes to a point where you think, what's better to quote. Coming 2nd in the 4.7mile Village Fete race, or a proper pb in a recognised distance.

Hence the massive swing to only doing quality road races these days.

AM sure it'll swing back at some stage image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

There's also a lot to be said for just enjoying a race for itself without having to worry about what you quote afterwards image. Takes the pressure off the constant pb hunt if its not a standard road distance too...

Bledlow Ridge 10k this one - very hilly! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's true. Not racing too much takes the heat off a bit too.

Saw Sam's fb update today, she's on a crazy racing schedule...

wokingham half, bramley 20miler, national xc,bath half, inter counties xc, reading half...

6weeks back to back?! image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

and then VLM to top it off!

Makes me think I might be a wimp not wanting to do Oxxford the week before Abingdon!! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

or you like to actually give yourself a chance of a pb occasionally!

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Pot hunters dream....

http://gobeyondultra.co.uk/events/northampton_running_festival_Half_2013

Last years 10k winning time of 37:56 and half marathon winning time of 01:22:38.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

There you go Seb - not far from you! Looks like a nice route (though the multi laps might do your head in a bit!). Cheers T2D

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good example Tommy, that ticks off 4 of my 5 points on my pot hunters checklist!

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly Bus, could probably cope with the 6 laps for the half but no chance of doing 12 laps for the full marathon!

Hope you don't mind me popping in on the thread every now and then? Have been following it for the past few weeks and whilst all of you are miles ahead of where I am, I find the different sessions and training methods interesting and I'm hoping to pick up a few tips.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

All are welcome Tommy, and most on this thread have moved up a gear at least partly because of the sharing of knowledge and experience that goes on - that and the Mickey taking image.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Quiet today - where's those race reports then?

Horrible long run just now! Hideously muddy, and despite feeling good to start, after the 3rd mile I went over a very long ploughed field, which just seemed to drain the strength from me. After that it was something of a war of attrition! Painful legs and feeling like I was running on empty for the rest of the run - luckily the Mrs was in Bristol with the car or I might have bailed out! Hey ho, 14.5M done one way or another...

• We all have those long runs from time to time Bus. I live in fear of them! No matter what your legs just won't play ball!

3 miles with strides today nice and easy. Legs felt good and all that heavy tired feeling seems to have dissipated. Wind is looking like 10-17 MPH tomorrow. Not a disaster, just need to ensure I've packed my man suit.

Inter-counties looked a good race, standard is so good. All top 6 in the county guys. Would love to be part of that and wear a county vest. Some way off yet though... our county top 6 are all 32min 10k men at least. image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Been a day of ups and downs so far. Tomorrows race was a definite no when I woke up this morning. It's then cleared up and been fine all day the bang, it came back. Cleared almost straight away then.

Physio said he'd advise me to miss it but like me he's never listened to what anybody says. He said if I plan to run I might as well go and thrash a couple of miles out, so I did. I lasted 2 miles feeling great until it resurfaced.

Cleared again now???????? Why can't I get injuries that are simple and you know either way. Had a problem with my other foot last year and I never found the cause or what it was but it put me out for 5/6 weeks.

Still not any nearer to deciding.
  • Matt, that doesn't sound great, I really wouldn't run mate. It's just one 10k in the long scheme of things. Imagine how annoyed you'd be if you really strained, pulled or even broke something tomorrow and were out all spring/summer. Give it time to clear and if it's OK then you could run the Crewe 10K and have a tilt at the PB then.

Being a non-running runner is the worst and I wouldn't risk getting injured again after being out over December, I was like a bear with a sore head for a month!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm already running Salford 10k at the end of the month and the 3 peaks at the end of April so that's swaying me to missing out. So frustrating though picking up some strange, stupid injury two days before a race you've been aiming at for two months. :-/
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hmm, shame you can't pin-point exactly what it is to know whether running tomorrow would make it worse, make no differnce or  actually help. Did the physio say what it might be?

Good luck tomorrow Stevie - lets hope the wind calms down just at the right moment!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Too destroyed/feel too ill! to write anything now! Felt very tough today but went ok, little report in the morning.

unlucky Matt, I hate the uncertainty of an injury that comes and goes, sound tempting not to run, something that is tweaking will only get aggravated.

good luck stevie see! and anyone else racing tomorrow

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You tease Seb! 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Lancashire were the 9 man team winners. image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sniffed around online a bit but couldn't find this year's results.

Ben who ran for my old lot for a bit came 11th though, and he's top class, a 30.02 10k man.

Matt, i hope you make the right decision for today!

Stevie, good luck today old son, low 35 job on the cards potentially.

Off for a 14 with Phil shortly. Well, ok, 2miles to him, then a 12miler with him image

Seb and Deano, trust things went well, but we'll read your reports later no doubt, and tell me..surely XC season is over now! You'll probably be re-starting it in late September or something!!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

surely XC season is over now! You'll probably be re-starting it in late September or something!!

I always used to split cross country into park running which was the first few flat, flat races of the season in flat parks and real cross country later on in the mud and rain. With the advent of parkrun it is not such an easy distinction to explain.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    My plan was to see if i could feel the injury as soon as i woke up and then decide, which i could so think ive made the right decision in missing out today. I'd kick myself if i was to put myself out for a lengthy spell. Hopefully it's something that will clear soon enough then Salford 10k is at the end of the month.

Good luck today Stevie. Hope you have a great run and I'm looking forward to your race report!

I've seen the results from the xc on the PO10. I didn't know a former clubmate and the fella who kicked my arse at training the other week ran for lancs. He had a bloody good run too. Obviously xc is a completely different beast but he's not run sub 34 for a couple of years.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    I was too ill to report back last night , driving back I started to feel woosy and was shaking uncontrollably once I got home. Couldn't get warm. Felt sick. Was fine during the race so perhaps it just brought a bug to the surface.

So inter counties then - great occasion, very few if any lambs there. Everyone had qualified so everyone had capability. I watched the first race on the tv before i left and it kept mentioning how the conditions were the worst for years, so I was prepared. Once I arrived I did a jog of the course and It was very boggy in large parts but there was some firmer bits. It was a proper Xc course.

My targets were to be a counter(on paper I had to beat 3 of my team mates who were ranked higher) & get on the tv for my kids.

Race time, we take our pens and I'm right at the back due to my ranking but my plan was to get out fast and move up asap. A 5.34 first mile, then I settled. I decided not to get to caught up in tactics and just run in straight lines as it was bad everywhere. I sped up on the firmer bits and clung on in the boggy bits. The rest was a bit of a blur. I spotted a couple of staffs vest and went past them. 5m in and the guy who I beat last week by over a minute comes striding past me. I hold with him but decide not to work too hard as there was another 2.5m to go and I will work through the crowd in the last mile where there will be a lot of tired legs. A look at my watch says 2ks to go but the commentator just said only 500 to go. I'm confused but trust my watch. It's a 12k race no way will it be short by a mile. So I look ahead and follow the line of the course and can see it is the finish ahead. I pick my pace up but it's boggy and give myself a chance in a sprint with the pack in front, then I blast it and fly past the pack and onto the next group and go past them too. I'm moving fast considering the conditions and the only thought in my head is I hope they are filming this bit image

Cross the line in 192nd and 5th counter. Beat some people by over a minute who I never beaten before over Xc. Whilst I'm still not as good on this surface compared to the road I felt happy with this performance. I'm disappointed I didn't realise the course was short as I could have moved up the field with some effort in the last mile.

Good to catch up with seb and pc2.

As I was changing my phone beeped and was my kids saying I was on tv 3 times early on. So all targets achieved! image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

wow, you coming 192nd Dean! That says it all about the level of field methinks!

12k (or slightly under) long XC course, in bad conditions? Sooner you than me, great effort!

Matt, right decision, i had to make a similar decision before a half marathon in November, but stonked one in Feb, so smashing a 10k will wait!

Good 14 with Phil today. 7.17 pace it was in the end Phil, so bang on. Splits range from a slightly hyped 6.53, to the 7.58 I clocked up the hill to meet Phil.

Certainly feel the difference legs wise in 14 compared to a 12!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Good 14 with Phil today. 7.17 pace it was in the end Phil, so bang on. Splits range from a slightly hyped 6.53, to the 7.58 I clocked up the hill to meet Phil.

My return up the hill was an 8:55: 12 at 7:17 was plenty for my legs so gentle back. I got a 6:56 as well so probably not hyped but downhill.

Interesting comparing last two Sundays. 14 with SG and 14 with bus, 1:47 (vs 2:01, 135m gain vs 487m. That is road vs hills.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

And add in the mud yesterday on almost the same route but with an extra half mile took me 2:12 !!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good race report Dean - sounds like a really tough course. As SG says, if a man of your quality is 192nd, it shows what an outsatnding field of runners it was. Hope the lergy feeling is just a post race thing.

Matt - sensible choice, live to fight another day...

• I didn't spot you Dean, but I don't know what colour the Staffs vest is! Great run and a cracking position, nice to sign off with a good XC performance after a tough 'transition' year! Or are you having a crack at the Masters XC? The conditions at Brum are usually perfect so it came as a bit of a shock to see it in that state. Was no where the state the Northerns or Nationals were though so count yourself lucky! image

Back from Trafford, ran 36:01 today which I'm quite pleased with, obviously there is a lingering  sense of disappointment! - Not a PB and 2 seconds away from sub 36.

Got to the course and warmed up and pretty much everybody wrote off PBs as the wind for the first 5K was pretty bad with big gusts. it was bloody chilly too - but that might have been me as I'm a wimp when it comes to cold. Once the race began the wind was tough but not a massive problem and I hadn't joined in the defeatist talk.. I wanted a PB!

Got to 5K in 17:59 so on track. The problem was, every time a tried to up the pace like at Leeds, a huge gust of wind would just knock you back, so your effort was countered. Nice last 4K with the wind on my back for parts. Knew I was close to 36 so smashed the last K in 3:20, but pretty much all the way I kinda sensed 36:XX would be the outcome. I could've found 5 seconds if I'd know but it still woulnd't have been a PB, so largely irrelevant.

Positives are that I never run well at Trafford or at this time of year and today I did and I felt good. I found today far, far easier and controlled than Leeds. And as one Liverpool Harrier said "If you're 10 seconds slower than Leeds then you're in f**king good shape lad." Back home, I'm not sore, no niggles in the race so good to go for next week. In retrospect I think I'd have kept my miles at tad higher in the taper week, I just lacked a bit of intensity today.