Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Oh I have grown to love that Tadley course!  If you can manage not to freeze the life out of your shoes in the water jumps, since 09 I've found I can always smash those last hilly field.

What used to be a right ballsache was when they ran that section of the course in the first half...so you'd be utterly mashed and still have 2.5miles to go!

But yes, looking forward to the Eastleigh trip.

Not least for having a nice race trip with a pal who used to come on loads with me, but lost interest a bit. And also a good old thread meet up.

and erm..the actual race image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. I hope the weather stays kind to you all

To all the non racers, have a good 'un

• It's not the water jumps at Tadley, it's getting down the mud chute to them that hurts.

Wokingham is pretty much uphill all the way out, but downwind. On the way home you're typically in to wind and downhill bar the two motorway bridges at exactly the hurt points.

Dachs wrote (see)

Yateley is another one.  I've run it twice.  There is a bit of a climb in the first few km, but both times heard people referring to the hill at 8/9km.  I'm still not sure where it's supposed to be.  Rest assured I would have noticed it 2 years ago.

Not done Yateley series. I may do this year; I have a suspicion that 2013 will be worse than 2012 for weather. Summer evening swimming to be replaced by local 10k series.

Has anyone run Shinfield 10km? Thinking about it for this year. Club sprint tri champs on the same day, but an impending house move means £11 (~28p/min) is easier to stomach than £50 (67p/min).And I don't have to clean the wettie afterwards either.

Would be nice to go sub-40 on what they claim is a fast but undulating course.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You sure Iron? Wokingham feels the opposite, as in down out, and up back, and I'm sure there's 3 or 4 bridges, not just 2 image

I could be wrong though, which would be shameful as I've done it 4 years in a row.

Now Wycombe half, i could give you an inch by inch summary...as I've trained 1,000s of miles on the route, as well as running the race 6 times, and the 10k version 4 times!

Did Shinfield in 2010, May 3rd. Might be worth you having a little scroll to the start of this thread,as that was one of my first pbs of this Moraghan training journey.

I recall a km that was basically on gravelly rocks (into the wind), and also some kind of ups and downs in the second half. Did 36.44.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

You sure Iron? Wokingham feels the opposite, as in down out, and up back, and I'm sure there's 3 or 4 bridges, not just 2 image

I could be wrong though, which would be shameful as I've done it 4 years in a row.

Now Wycombe half, i could give you an inch by inch summary...as I've trained 1,000s of miles on the route, as well as running the race 6 times, and the 10k version 4 times!

Did Shinfield in 2010, May 3rd. Might be worth you having a little scroll to the start of this thread,as that was one of my first pbs of this Moraghan training journey.

I recall a km that was basically on gravelly rocks (into the wind), and also some kind of ups and downs in the second half. Did 36.44.

It seems I sit corrected - just checked the elevation profile from 2011, downhill out and up back. I cycle parts of the route regularly so I must have a very bad recollection of the course!

I'll stroll back in time for Shinfield..... Thanks.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Deffo, it's the wind and up combo that makes those last 3miles at Wokingham the slowest of the day every year!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Only the two bridges SG -you just have to do them both twice is all image

They are certainly a lot easier when you'r fresh too!

Fingers crossed for the weather for all those hoping to race this weekend - can't say it's looking good though...

(surely spring has to arrive sometime?)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure there's more than 2 inclines in those last 3-4miles tho, maybe others aren't bridges then?

Couldn't believe there's a thick covering of snow outside. Oh dear. Small mercy is that the area of the race seems to hae avoided it, it's just the getting out of this area first!!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Northern and midlands 12 stage have been cancelled.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    But wilmslow is still on, not sure if this good news or not image

20 mph winds and -7 wind chill factor forecast.. Can't make my mind up on how many layers, gloves, hat etc...
  • Apparently it's not snowing in Wilmslow. I don't how that is possible!

They called off the relays at 8:30 this morning. What a joke, what changed between last night and then, apart from the obvious effect of -2 temperatures on surface water. It was never gonna' be runnable if the roads were soaked and then it froze.

I wasn't really up for it to be honest so I not too gutted. Some northern boys have decided to make a road trip and head down to Eastleigh!

Good luck to the guys racing this weekend. Hopefully winds and chilly temperatures won't be too detrimental to PB attempts. If they are just make sure you run strong.

I have the luxury of not racing for a month now. Phew. Plenty of traing to beast though image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hang on Stevie, Eastleigh sells out a while back, have they got entries? Not sure if they do an elite entry guaranteed, but if they did, at this race it'd be a sub 32 minimum job. Don't want them turned away!!!

I'm not looking forrward to the drive, and it's 75miles from here, so I wouldn't fancy 275miles!

Just had a 5miler with strides. In some ways it was a horrible run, slushy woods, took a trip over a concealed branch (great fall, roll, and back to my feet in 1 move like a pro), and light snow in my face. Strides didn't hit too high a pace, as i was in hooded top, trackie bottoms, and gloves, so you're not exactly lithe with all that on!

However....didn't feel the light knee thing i'd felt for a few days, so lovely!

• These lads are 29-31 min boys, so could prob wangle an entry somehow.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Grrr - typical, brought a road bike yesterday and today the roads are covered in snow! 

The expense has already started - new pump, tube and cassette more suited to big hills and ker-ching - another 60 squids gone!  Running is so much cheaper image

Right, gonna try a jog in the snow. Let's see if I can stretch to 4 miles!

You'll be doing well if Eastleigh stays snow free SG - fingers crossed!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Weather report said no snow down that way, and none due. So hope they're right!

Normally when you enter March races you don't give a second of thought to the weather, but this last year has been a bit off...races flooded off in May and summer, seemingly suspiciously mild through October to Jan, and then the snow coming just when we thought we'd got away with it all!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's climate change for you - the weather's gone mad! I blame all those people who drive short trips to work SG image

Managed 4 slow miles in the slush/mud just now. Only a slight discomfort from the hamstring area and sciatic nerve and my running action was pretty much back to normal, so very positive. 

I guess the trick now is to try and maintain steady progress, without risking setting it all off again.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

missed the money you've been lashing out Bus, easy, you'll be back to the real game soon!

You'll have to enter that zone where you forget races, and just focus on feeling right again. Running your easy miles at easy will help!

Speaking of which, second run done. Roads seem fine round here, so hopefully nothing silly overnight...

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Sounds like we'll be graced by some elite northerners tomorrow then. Should be good. As long as they don't clutter up the start area with their whippets.

SG, I should warn you that I'm planning to run in some 'noncery' tomorrow. Wouldn't usually but a wind chill factor of -6 doesn't sound much fun.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I remember some particularly cold cross country races over the last couple of years, but might well be a "skin" top job rather than the lil vest.

At least dehdration won't be a thing image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good luck to the eastleigh racers tomorrow. hope the weather holds.

my plan is to treat my race as a long xc.  try to run fast when the conditions allow and calm it down when the wind is head on. remain flexible with tactics and not to get fixated on splits.   should be interesting if nothing else.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good luck yourself Deano. Hopefully the weather allows you some kind of decent crack at things after that other half being called off.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all that are racing. Pavements and roads around our way are like an ice rink.
  • Good luck for tomorrow's racers. Isn't it the Datchet 20 too?

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Good luck for tomorrow's racers. Isn't it the Datchet 20 too?

It is but it isn't a race: free 20 mile training run timed for those doing London etc.

After a pitch inspection the Southern 12 stage relays are still on.

• Did a 10.5 and 3 easy. And a gym session today. Got a lot more dpone had a raced that's for sure and cost me nothing in petrol money!

World Cross tomorrow and some exciting race reports to read hopefully!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

details coming out about today's races now...looks like Dean had a "tidy" oneimage

And at least 2 of our intrepid threadsters got their mugs on this pic. Not quite sure where I was hiding!!

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10310147.More_than_2_600_take_part_in_Eastleigh_10k/?ref=nt

• No race for me today: 8:45 relays were on, 10:00 and they were cancelled. Cupid stunts!

• SG, need a report, seen a few numbers and need explanations image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

http://www.chipresults.co.uk/Default.aspx

34:30, 13secs taken off the pb, 44th out of 2008

Happy with that, as took 37secs off a mere 7weeks ago. A nice rounded number too.

4 road races in 2013, 4 pbs, this has been a cracking start to the year, and all down to the big man Moraghan as always!

Full report to follow shortly....before the fast boys get in image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Yes stevie, quite a bizarre race. Lets get the conditions out the way -4 when I arrived and was still -2 when I got back to my car at 2pm. The wind was like nothing I have experienced -7 chill factor & 20 mph.

My plan before all this weather was inspired by ric, when talking about running marathons his advice to me was use your pace and get most of the race out of the way before the pain.

To the start dressed in 2 layers and gloves and still shivering. During the first mile a chap I know pulled alongside and pointed out the v40s ahead. So I try and keep pace. But they seem keen on sub 5.20 pace so I let them go. The first 10km passed quickly (33.47) and I knew I was comfortably under my PB pace but running into the wind early on in a race isn't the same later on so despite plenty in the bank I couldn't guarantee a PB. The next 4 miles were bleak, my lips turning blue and wind that blew you around. I tried hard to keep pace but it dropped in the harshest wind to 5.40s. I couldn't feel my hands now. But I kept reminding myself even these slower windy miles are still in line with my ave pace PB. So keep on it. I got to 10 miles in good time (55.31) but we hadn't had the worst of the wind yet. We turned into a tree lined lane and I thought great , should be protected but it wasn't, in fact it was more like a wind tunnel. My positive attitude was being sorely tested and I was getting f*#ked off with it now. I looked at my watch and and it showed an ave pace for mile was currently over 6. Got to mile 12 and thought at last I will drop a 5 pace and end strong but the wind was obscene, I was flat out and it was a 5.40. Last 300 and I'm hurting and I go for it. But couldn't get the wheels going in the wind. Cross the line and I'm dazed, I couldn't have put anymore into it, I was goosed.

Official time 73.09 ave pace 5.33, 14th overall and 4th v40. ??100 prize. PB by 66 secs and 3 mins 20 odd secs on last yrs race.

All things considered this is my best performance to date. But it could have been much bigger. Talking to a 68 man afterwards who lost over 2mins today himself told me I should forget about a 72 and bypass it to a 71. I'm going to try and hold him to that

The splits: 5.17, 5.27, 5.26,5.29,5,29,5.34,5.24,5.39,5.47,5.47,5.33,5.44,5.42

Oh yeah. Did I mention it was windy?image