Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Stevie, I have a 13.5 mile road race a week on Sunday which has over 2000ft of ascent in it. Supposedly one of the toughest road races about. I ran it last year off the back of having not ran further than ten miles in one go for the previous 9 months And I came 3rd in 1.24. A 66 min half man won in 1.17 so its a tough bugger. I'd like to better my time at that even though I've done no specific half training. Ill just suck it and see. I may dip into the odd 10k if there's a flat one about but otherwise I'll be focusing on my track stuff ready for August. Might do a sale sizzler or parkrun leading up to it. 

Did a session of 6 x 800 tonight off 2 mins. ( main group did 5 but i added one on at the end.) 2.27- 2.28- 2.28- 2.27- 2.26- 2.30.  I was feeling it offer the fourth so decided   to stick to a 2.30 for the last. I'm not sure I couldve gone quicker anyway. 

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Nice session there Matt. The sizzlers are a decent 5k outing, the last one is the Northern Champs so will have a better field to tow you along if need be. That's when I ran my fastest last year.

Phil, like your view on levels of running. People are amazed I can 'jog' a 5 mile easy run at 7:20 when they do parkruns in 8:30 pace. But to me it's nothing to be chuffed about as I'm all about the 'next level up' and thinking what I need to do to get there. The same way Mo runs his easy runs at my 10k pace, and he prob' doesn't look far enough down the results to see my name.

• I think a few of us may meet up at the Sale Sizzlers!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Love this thread, Ric thinks we're all brilliant, and Phil reckons we're all a bunch of bimblers who crumble when faced with anyone above the level of local face image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Good work folks. Some serious quick paces today! 

After some sharper stuff in recent weeks, focus is on 10k workouts this week. 5 mins @ threshold then progressive fartleks: 6 then 5 mins @ threshold, 4 then 3 @ 10k, 2 mins @ 5k, then 1 min fast, then 5 mins @threshold again. 90 seconds between reps. Absolutely buggered now.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, at least its better than getting told how mediocre we all are compared to the bog standard club runner of the 80s.

Still, the upside of that is, if the trend of sedentary lifestyles and incrrasing obesity continues further, our corpulent grandchildren will hear our times and think we were f***ing legends.

Nice one Matt, only beaten by the Kenyan. If you keep improving you may have to get used to that...

God short reps by all. I wont be doing any of they until august. I'll miss them.

• Bluenose74Bluenose74 ✭✭✭

Tuesday Night... Speed Session Night... Some cracking sessions being knocked out, no doubt the rewards will come...

I've decided to adopt Phils "Race to get fit" approach, so went along to a local 5k tonight, wasn't expecting much, as first race in a month, plus trying to get back into it after hols... So was more than happy with a 19-04, which was surprising after the first km... Six more races planned this month... Really do need to get rid of some weight, 6ft 2in and I'm 13-10... They'll be tears ahead...

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

6 x 1k off 2mins or so for me tonight, 3.27, 3.30, 3.29, 3.32, 3.26, 3.27. first four on road and last two on grass school trach. was hoping for around 3.26 so a bit off. struggling to get to 5k pace on 1k reps presently. My lack of experience with speedwork is finding me out.

Some mind boggling numbers being produced on here. I am clearly one of the ones not to worry about!

• Mennania, that sort of session is a good indicator for 5k pace so faster than 3:30s means a good slice sub 17:30 and that is decent by most standards. Sure there are faster times on this thread but there are also slower: I'd be very happy to get down to 17:30 by the end of this season and you opened with a 17:29. It is the same layers thing: Dean is standing at #5 in the V40 rankings, you are 85th and in the UK there are 271 sub 20:00 5k V40s. Top 100 in any list needs to be taken seriously. There are then literally thousands of other runners outside this list and hundreds of thousands of non-runners who can't even run 5k without stopping.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dropped the ball tonight!  target was go off at 9min pace (72 sec laps) and with 3 to go start to push and see where that takes me.  Was a second or so ahead with 3 to go but I felt flat and leggy, and instead of picking the pace up I slowed.  with 2 to go it could still be rescued but I slowed again.  I felt weak, nothing there.  Last lap and I'm in last place, so I try to rescue some pride but nothing.  I overtake 2 but in truth they slowed down rather than anything I was doing.  Didn't even have enough for a sprint finish.  9.12. A second slower than last time when I went round in 5k pace prior to christleton.    Very frustrating but sometimes you need days like this.  A couple of comments from the team watching mentioned how flat and ploddy I was even early on in the race And probably the most damning was from one of the youngsters who said its the first time he has seen me run like a veteran.  Ouch! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Quality field if a 9.12 is taking you to 3rd last place Deano!  And you should give that kid a slap, as if you've "run like a veteran", I hate to think what he'd think of the younger chaps on here who wouldn't get within 20secs of that image

To boost you up, a chap I know did 9.31 at Watford a couple of months ago, as he got in the slow race, then did a 9.16 next time up in the middle race, then went and did 9.05 the other day!

He hasn't shown your road form for agood couple of years, and his peak was probably around what you're doing now. So just one of those days, and that 9 is doable soon no doubt.

Menny, those reps look pretty tasty to me, inside 17.30 and 35min 5k and 10k pace averages....not to be sniffed at by any means!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A 9mile morning  run for me up shortly.

Helps having different mileages doesn't it, as I expect repeatdly doing midweek 12s would get a bind. So a 9 is a bit easier on the mind and body, and allows for a bit of a different route. Will probably throw a steep arsed half mile hill in midway..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

9 done,probably natural that i could feel a couple of things. stomach muscle ache that first arose a few months back a bit more than the last couple of weeks, and tight in the hamstring (nerve related).

However, just a 4 later, and then a TH OFF.

Almost forgot that i'd set the ball rolling on physio a while back, so booked that up for next week to see what's what.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, just one of those days where your legs don't quite have it for whatever reason.  You've done a lot of short racing recently, maybe that just takes it out of you?  Still, I would be more than happy with that as a 3,000m time.

Yateley 10K for me tonight.  It's going to be an interesting one.  I have a time target, and, very unusually for me, a pacing strategy per km split.  Don't usually run like that, so will see if it helps.  Obviously I'm not going to reveal my time target until after the event, but this was my PB course from last year, so I know I can go fast on it.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - that youngster meant no insult...he was being complimentary about other races...i was very wendy one pace last night and then faded, he has only every seen me fly in with a big kick finish.   My coach wants a full list of my training for the last month to see why i was under par....he has a theory that maybe my optimal training should be for 5k.   Also over the summer i am racing 800s to 2*10k and maybe i will find myself caught in no mans land if im not careful.

Some great training going on by everyone. strong stuff from Menn, Johnas and Philip.    Great 400s from stevie s (i like the fact the 2nd set were faster) and tim i think off that session you should get a decent pb.    Matt i did that 800s session in my 5k work it isnt easy but it a decent indicator of sub 16. 

• Off out for an easy paced 6 mile run with mate from work at lunchtime. Asked how his wife got on at her 3k race last night. Looks like she is moving up a level given she clocked 9:06. Follows up her 34:03 at Mancheste 10k.

Not sure I should really call what I am about to do running now though, maybe I am a jogger after all image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Max, i assume that was at trafford last night, she was in the group a few metres in front of me most of the race.  she held her form through out and looked strong.   Id suggest thats not her last PB this summer. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

.   My coach wants a full list of my training for the last month to see why i was under par... 

Should the coach not be setting the training? Or do you mean the extras like cross training?

• Dean, yep it was trafford. She really does seem to be on an upward curve and she apparently has an eye on the 15:30 5K B standard qualifying time for the Commonwealth Games!!!

Maxpower, I was blow away when I saw she stormed to 34mins! Hopefully she'll stay injury free and really kick on. She'll be flying come XC!

Dean, nevermind. Plus lets be fair, is was 20 degrees last night come race time! Spoke to Mikey, he said he had a nightmare... running 8:36! I promptly called him a w**ker! Albeit an elite w**ker image 

I'm gonna have to come to terms with the fact 3k is never going to match my other times as I should be running 9:45 and that ain't happening this summer. A tidy sub 9 would do.

Good luck Dachs!! Let us know what happens!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sub 10 Stevie? image

I don't know many that can hit their McMillan times from long distance to short. I know UG remarkably had his 5k and marathon to the second.

I'm not sure what Dean and Dach's comparison looks like?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Max,  i have a 15.35 5k on the road off a 9.11 3k.   There is no reason why she couldnt get 15.30 on the track. She was strong last night, and will go faster.

SG - coach sets the track sessions and then trusts us to do the rest properly.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Haven't raced under 5K since my teenage years.  Since my 5K is slower than it should be according to the calculators, I imagine I'd struggle badly with anything shorter.

• Dachs wrote (see)

SG, at least its better than getting told how mediocre we all are compared to the bog standard club runner of the 80s.

So for the record, my 10k PB was at Silverstone 10k in 1994 and I was 36th in 33:59. This year, the same time would have had me in 11th place. The top 10 from 94 would have been the top 10 in a combined race, all inside 31:54 and this year it was won in 31:55. The top 10 were also all seniors, none of these old V40s coming in top 3.

And that was in the 90's when we were told how good the runners of the 70s were.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i havent hit near my short stuff but in fairness i am only in week 3 of training and that has been disrupted to only 3 sessions as i have had races.

off my recent 5k pb - i should be 8.52 for 3000m,  4.09 for 1500m and 2.01 for 800m.  none of those look likely any time soon. 

Bascialy none of us train for the short stuff and then wonder why we dont hit the correct times.  If a sub 2min 800m chap wanted to run a HM but only did 300m reps in 45secs each session we wouldnt expect his HM time to be in line either.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I really wish I'd have started sooner and built from the bottom up, instead of knocking out the miles then trying to become a dab hand at the short stuff. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, it probably didn't help that when most of us on here were teen/early 20s we were doing the proper sports, team stuff.

I remember a decent runner, who was V50 by the time I knew him, and he seemed shocked I was bothering to race 5ks at mid 20s, saying I shouldn't be wasting my time, and should make the most of being able to play footy and stuff image

ps Matt, that is exactly the quandry a lot of us face. I started with half marathons, and if I'm honest I barely knew that other distances existed! Just that there was a half on my doorstep, so I did that, got given a race entry sheet for another local one, and went from there!

Certainly would have been easier to smash the short distances as a kid, and build the stamina up.

But then on the other hand, if you drained all the life out of your short pbs as a kid, you wouldn't get within a million miles in your 30s! And most likely would have packed it in.

• Bluenose74Bluenose74 ✭✭✭

Phil, done Silverstone the year before in 33-51 for 32nd-ish... If I remember back, they was no 5k races, and you where lucky if they was one decent race in the area each month... Nowadays the market is full of 5k races (can think of six within 30 miles this month), plus loads of other stuff happening every weekend, which dilutes the popular races of the ninties... Never ever found Silverstone a quick course for some reason...

Dean, thats still a excellent time which must of us could only dream of... 

• Makes me wonder what I could have been if I'd been sporty at school. image

Dachs wrote (see)

Haven't raced under 5K since my teenage years.  Since my 5K is slower than it should be according to the calculators, I imagine I'd struggle badly with anything shorter.

Shockingly slowimage

So advice time... After a few weeks rest, then a race, then another few weeks rest, then built back to 30km last week, my Achilles niggle is back. 7km or whatever Monday, then another 5km tonight (26 degree heat). I thought it would help stretch things out, but once again it is painful, and mornings have gone from a robocop style walk on waking, to a gait change where I roll my ankle out rather than bend the ankle forwards.

I assume having had 2 spells of 2 weeks off that it needs to be longer. I've been wondering how to deal with this, but just writing this down has opened my eyes to my injury blindness.

So what do we recommend, and following some long rest, what is a good plan to ease back in to running so I don't bugger things by trying to smash a race on my first run back.

All advice gratefully accepted. Ric, I'm sure you have a similar episode logged away somewhere.

In the meantime, please all continue to tell me how you're beasting every session.

Whoops, yeah sub 10! Sub 9 would be tidy!! image