Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - this is a 3-race series, I'm going to have to run against these people again.  I'm not going to start mocking their names on the internet!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

could be just what you need to run a lower 33 next time out. image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - great report.  nothing wrong with an ambitious effort every now and again...thats how breakthroughs happen

Rob - i feel you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater by quitting the track.  I agree i would stop blasting 200 & 400s at top whack but 5*1k reps or 6*800m on the track @ 5k pace would work well.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

Rob - i feel you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater by quitting the track.  I agree i would stop blasting 200 & 400s at top whack but 5*1k reps or 6*800m on the track @ 5k pace would work well.

couldnt agree more Deano.

• Cracking win there Dachs. I like that you just went off quick and tried to win that way rather than in a sprint finnish. Sub 33 is a helluva target isn't it.
  • Cheers Dean - did you have to throw that one in, you know I enjoy the track but something is casuing the calf to play up and 8 months away from the track makes me nervous to get back down may be you're right it's the speed and intensity doing shorter reps and I should just run more controlled at 5k target pace and stick to longer slower efforts with a shorter recovery!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Rob - if it's the calf, I'd agree 100% with Dean. My calfs burn after 200s and 400s.  Never after longer track reps.

• Dachs mine seem to tear image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

rob - you are a natural born speedster, but i think its harder to slow someone as fast as you down. As it will feel like you are not putting in full effort.  I recently did loads of sessions knocking out 74sec 400s which like you i can complete very comfortably and feels like a wasted session. But i played with the recovery and made the session harder on my lungs due to 45 sec recovery rather than harder on the hamstrings. 

the truth is the days of you smashing out 200s at breakneck speed are behind you due to injury concerns, but this is great news because whilst they are good at smashing out a 1500 race, a 5mile or 5k is about 800m or 1k reps and your hamstrings will hold up for these. 

as a fellow Vet coming to terms with age i will give you the advice i was given the other week from somebody significant.  He said my reps with 27sec 200m's are about showing everyone how fast you used to be,  but the 1k reps are showing everybody how fast you are now.    (if this doesnt make any sense, it basically means if you are running longer than 5k you dont need 27sec 200m pace)

• Did someone say 6*800m at 5k pace: go wash your mouth out with soap and water and call it by it's proper name: the minibus.

Lunchtime minibus, 2:50, 2:48, 249, 2:49, 2:49, 2:47

Very hot in the bright sunshine. Wanted to do them at 2:50 or faster, first 5 went to plan but was feeling a bit puffed so took a longer recovery fbefore the last one, felt it was slow and it was slow at 400m so gunned it over the last 400m to get it back on course and over cooked it.

2:50 is 85 a lap or 17:42.5 for a 5k. Really need to look at 84 seconds a lap for a 17:30 5k so the next time out that is the target, 6x800 in 2:48. Then there is just the little matter of doing them all back to back.

Did anyone get a place on the track 10,000 Night of the PBs:

http://www.highgateharriers.org.uk/hh_open_10000_entries.php

a few familiar names. Talking of names, my favourite name joke involves the bar maid and Michael Hunt

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Crispy, Phil has rumbled you!  Is that list all for 1 race? Bit crowded?

Phil,  have you been watching Porkys again?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Forget the names, the real entertainment there is to be had with the requests for motivational music.  Diamond Lights by Hoddle and Waddle!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if it works it works Dachs.

I did a 6mile MP session to Basehunter's Saturday once.

True story.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Michael Hunt is a real name - Chief Exec of Community Impact Bucks....poor chap!

I used to work with a guy called Michael Ockwell too. Understandably, he didn't want people to call him Mike - especially if they were going to phone his PA ("is Mike Ockwell in?"

Some parents must be naive bordering on insane. My favourite though, just for shear weirdness, is a friend's work colleague called Mercedes Haddock.

Good session Philip - goose shit track presumably?

Road bike for me at lunchtime - 20 hilly miles in the sunshine around the Chilterns. Very nice (just wish there were a few less potholes and gravel filled corners on these lanes!!!!).

Just entered a race on Saturday - off-road 10k. New, local charity job - not really pothunting, as we all know who'll turn up to win that one hey SG image

• Cheers Dean what you say makes alot of sense I'm good at giving pointers sometimes crap at taking and doing the bloody obvious image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

we certainly do Bus.

What i'd be interested in, is the country championship track events. In the results, for some of the categories there are only 1 or 2 seniors listed. You're not telling me that you get a medal just for turning up surely?  I thought they might just be listing the top 3...but others have 6 or 7 in the event, and some just have 1!

We need to wheel over there next year and fill our boots if so!

Oh the funny names, I could fill a page myself with the comedy names. I got into all manner of nonsense ringing some guy called Mr Plum once. At one stage i thought he'd called me a Plum as an insult. "Sorry, did you just call me a plum?", "No, this is Mr Plum".

Oh that was a poor conversation.

I can also remember getting ticked off by some stern secretary for giggling at their address which was "Fiddlers Reach"

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - county medals, you need at least one "loser" so if there are only 3 of you in a race only a gold and silver are given out.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

What i'd be interested in, is the country championship track events. In the results, for some of the categories there are only 1 or 2 seniors listed. You're not telling me that you get a medal just for turning up surely?

Certainly for Bucks the rule is senior winner gets gold (so EddieO got gold for 9:05 3000m) and then they award a silver if more than 5 entrants and bronze if more than 10 (or some other numbers, I can't recall them exactly) so you get a medal in a large field and not a small one. Younger age groups get gold, silver and bronze irrespective.

I was planning my retirement recently in Devon and they give a gold medal and then silver and bronze if you beat the standards on

http://www.swvac.org.uk/records/standards.htm

As M45 I need to do 11:30 for 3000m or 19:30 for 5000m or 16,400m in an hour!

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

SG, county champs are s shambles at the moment. Only a handful of blokes turning up. I'll always do miine as I think it's important to support such events.

Rob, I'd echo Dean's advice. Maybe it's the actual track surface? Ours (as you know) is a cinder track and the injury rate is so low at my club (young and old) and everybody is on the track twice weekly. I went to Portugal did 1 session in spikes on a tartan track and couldn't walk. Did the 2nd session with flats and my calfs were smashed. I never have that reaction when training at Knights Grange. What I'm trying to say is.... join Vale Royal! image

Dachs, go for it pal. I have no doubt this year you could crack 33mins. Maybe the Leeds Abbey dash would fit well in November?

As I'm racing the Castles on Sat it's 'just' 12 x 200 tonight but FAST. Looking forward to it!! Love 200s!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hmm, maybe less of a collossal pot hunt then.

Phil, maybe using you as an example of a normal 48year old skews our thinking a bit on standards. I expect 19.30 for 5k at V45 is still quite tasty in the scheme of things?

• Stevie, there were some greyhounds out at lunchtime doing 200s the hard way: 200 flat out and then a good 5 minutes rest and then repeat. Don't fancy that at all. Last time I did fast on the track I was ruined for a month afterwards.

I am keeping an eye on my own speed, today was 85 a lap, I am happy to go to 84 and maybe even edge towards 82 but that is it. 82 is 17:05 for 5k and that is too fast. Once I get a bit faster I will look to do more or longer reps or shorter recoveries.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Met a bloke called Fook Yau once.  Try saying that in a Brummie accent.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

might not be an insult there.

Up north you get grown men calling each other cock and it not even being a thing.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

Met a bloke called Fook Yau once.  Try saying that in a Brummie accent.

I guess he would have to avoid the West Midlands at all costs (nothing to do with his name mind....).

Does take you by surprise oop north when you first get someone call you cock, but in a friendly way image

All this talk of 200s is making all sorts of bits of my legs hurt! 

• We just had Fukyu Mama leave our Japanese office so I am left with Soon Suk Yo in Korea.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

why do i have the words "Love you long time" going through my head...

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

I can also remember getting ticked off by some stern secretary for giggling at their address which was "Fiddlers Reach"

Well, I may not be able to do super-fast reps, and I've never peed blood, but I can contribute to this discussion: vaguely rude place names.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Your making that up Philp! (please, don't let it be true!)

I came through Bryant's Bottom only this morning....

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That one in Germany is pure class! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

jigger me that's a bad image Bus!

And some of those names are unbelievable Lit. In fact evertime some refers to you by a shortened name like that I'm amazed someone hasn't done the obvious!