Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

5% do you SG?

Not many V45 cats in races, but does get its own Po10 ranking!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'd probably need 10% if i'm to go full time and sack work off.

Part of my work as your agent would be monitoring the activity of the likes of Frankie and Ed, to make sure they're not turning up at your target race!

• Options

Am considering running the BTN Big 10 10k race.

Sat July 27th, first old fart last year was 46 and did the 10k in 37:47 and there are top 3 prizes in 5 year age groups.

http://results.active.com/events/btn-big-10-10k-run/10k-overall-resuts

Course is alongside a lake so no real rise or drop

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/204557024

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice local one then Phil!

• Options
    Bus- its chester it is. But before that there is a 10k on 23rd june. Hoping to pb at that first.
  • Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Andy will that be your first? Those long run seem like they'd really get you into cracking shape!

SG, I'd always enjoy the middle legs. I was our first top 10 finish so that was a nice feeling. The opening leg is always competitive and the last leg you're out of the running. We came 17th which is our best ever finish as a club (out of 62) so we automatically get a place next year.

Grafted a 13 miler out earlier. Was tough, but the cold water bath has helped ease the aches.

• Options

I am in new York the week before running with Long Island Road Runners Club (they have a summer 5 k series (http://www.lirrc.org/calendar.html) and then I am moving to the West Coast, so Chicago is en route.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You're too cool Phil.

There must be some way I can use this to impress some hotties at local races.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

There's some great names on that resuts (sic) list Philip but lets not start that one again!). Stokenchurch is about as cosmopolitan as I get!

10% would be worth it SG...

Stevie - I must try that cold bath routine.

• Options

Where abouts on the West Coast Phil?

I swore by the cold baths last year when going long. Coffee and hat a must.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Andy, sub 33 next time out? 

• Options
    Stevie see- not the first but. if it goes well it'll make a change. I'm doing them mile rep sessions because I'm not sure if there anything to be gained from plodding around a 20+m long run at 8mm staying in comfort zone.
  • Options
    Matt- cross post there, I'm hoping to get sub 33 but not convinced that Stone is the course for it, will try anyway though as training is going really well.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, massive congratulations, excellent win.  Fighting for a win is tough enough at the best of times without having to pop over unnecessary stiles and slog up unnecessary hills.  As the inaugural winner, they ought to put your face over all their literature for next year.  I cannot imagine how tough that must've been if you're running 43!

Incidentally, Buckinghamshire must have one of the highest densities of hilly off-road 10Ks in the world.  It almost seems like you're running one every weekend!

Impressive intervals & long run from Andy.  I think Chester is a similar date to Abingdon, so you're definitely putting in the tough sessions early.

Iron, that's shite news, bad luck

SS - nice relaying.

Phil - sounds like you had a similar experience to mine last year at Wargrave.  I didn't much enjoy the course, and I think it's because I simply wasn't in the mood for the race.  It sounds from your fairly misanthropic race report (which I thoroughly enjoyed by the way) that you weren't much in the mood either.  Still, well run, and clearly Datchet's club championship is hotly contested, so glad you're still in a good position.

Looks like Wargrave was a bit thinner at the front than last year.  Last year I think there were 6 or 7 sub 35.  I remember a big old group forming at the front that year (which I then promptly fell off the back of).

Meanwhile, I haven't run today or yesterday, and have been painting our new garage conversion instead. So theoretically rest days, but not really.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Dachs - that's much more like the response I was expecting to my fine win  image. You're a proper gent (not like some on this forum...!)

• Options

bus, you know it is all jest. A win is a win and we would all be happy to either have one (my barren spell is getting a bit long, last year I came home first at two parkruns, one a field of 374 and the other 25 and also a charity 5k of about 500 runners but since then all I have had is a few handicap wins and parkrun age group wins) or add to our collection.

Latest runbritain ranking is 4.2 so on the way up and now 4 of my top 6 ranked runs are recent. Cheered myself up by finding people who must be more pissed off with the system than me so I am 582 in V45 and one step above me in 581 is a guy who ran 35:14 at BUPA 10000 with a WAVA of 85% and the one two below has fallen from 1.4 to 4.3 and is a sub 17 5k man.

• Options

Nice one Bus!

Still unsure about RunBritain. I was 7.5 16th Feb, dropped to 8.0 25th May (havig not raced since 16th on RunBritan). Up to 7.6 on 1st June after a parkrun. There appears to be some natural wastage, or is that my handicap gettnig worse as I'm not racing often enough?

Apparently my 2013 parkrun ranks me as the top 4.3% in the country, but still no proper ranking.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image I texted you the real congrats after the race Bus, and I certainly embrace a win whatever race.

Cripes, one of my wins was so bootleg that they ran a 4.8 miler alongside a 2.9miler (! odd distances)

I'd won the 4.8miler, which included a leap over some random fence, and I noticed some ruddy faced chap speaking with the organiser about 30mins after.

Apparently he'd heard my winning time of the 4.8miler, and having run quicker he was sure he'd won.

Except he'd done the 2.9miler. And ignored that he hadn't actually led any of the race, crossed the line first etc.

It was quickly sorted when the organiser asked for his recce of the route, which didn't include one massive section.

The whole thing looks a farce looking back. From the tiny field, with only a few of us even in club vests, to the dangerous as sin major road crossing at race pace with no marshalls in the last mile, to the "trophy" they gave me, awarded by some guy in a hat in a deserted field, to them requesting this piece of tat trophy back a year later!

Was great at the time though!

ps Dachs, you're right, there are so many small little hilly Xc races in this neck of the woods. Certainly the kind of gruelling fare I avoid!

I've only chosen to do a couple of these in my 149race diary, (ignoring XC series and club championship events).

One was the Wendover 5miler in 2006, a race so darn gruelling i was white as a sheet and in bits after, and the Bradenham 10k in about 08/09 with Bus, that was firm under foot, but so hilly and 2 laps...arghhhh

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PMJ, I like RunBritain now, because I've just got a negative handicap for the first time (-0.1!) .  Never mind that it throws up some very odd results, as long as those results are in my favour.

SG - it's bizarre how many there are in Bucks.  I appreciate Bucks is hilly, but I grew up by the Mendips, and I don't remember very many hilly off-road races there (although I think there are one or two now).  Maybe Buckinghamshire, given its proximity to London, serves as a kind of playground for the city dwellers.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Surely there's just as many in Berks? You have all that plush ripe for XC land round there, just look at the XC series races for starters.

I remember debating with a northern chap on this forum once, who was adamant that most northern 10ks are won in 30/31mins. So found it incredible that sub 40 gets you top 10 in most 200-300 field races down here.

Clearly not a fair comparison though, i'm sure there's northern races with smaller fields and quality.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

ANOTHER thread win. Great stuff Bus!

Tidy week's mileage there Ric and some nice hill work too.

Andy - couldn't agree more on efforts in long runs for marathon training. I mixed up the pace on most of my 18-23 milers for VLM. I've got a 10k this weekend coming so the 10k sessions are aimed at that.

PMJ - great race report and negative split even if the course was up and down. Shows you're in a good place, especially off a big week.

Stevie - nice work on the relay, especially in that heat. Looks like you had a great strong finish too!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Johnas and Iron image

Don't worry Philp/SG - I take the joshing in the spirit it's intended (as well as totally accepting it WAS a bootleg win!). You should see the ribbing my Mrs is getting on facebook, not helped by her posting "and my husband won it!" next to a picture of the guy who won the 5k - doh!

Dachs - I think you're probably right that the proximity to london helps boost the hilly races. One thing that has seen an explosion in them though, is that several local schools, and charity groups have realised from each other they are a good charity money maker. Schools alone count for at least 4 local hilly off-roaders.

SG, what's your schedule for today and Thursday? I'm at home today and looking for something at lunchtime, and may be at home on Thursday too with a bit of luck.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

doh, just saw your mail...text sent over asap...doing a 6 if you can make it...

Thur is pending on what the physio says Tuesday in fairness, but while im still ignorant today, i'll do the full 6 at lunch. or try!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps pothunt yes, bootleg noimage

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

You should see the ribbing my Mrs is getting on facebook, not helped by her posting "and my husband won it!" next to a picture of the guy who won the 5k - doh!

That did brighten up my weekend. 7 miles at lunchtime, 884 for the year so far and need 1000 by the end of June to be on target. 3 weeks at 40 a week would be 120 and see me home easily but I am only running 3 days this week and avoided the temptation to do 13, 14, 13 in the first 3 days.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that'd be tasty and probably not wise Philmond.

Nice unexpected run with Bus at lunch then. Some chat means I focus less on the dull ache, so the solution is just finding someone to run every run with!

But no, a pleasing 6.5m, should have been 6, but some council clowns were insisting on doing some work on a very narrow footpath leading to an about turn, and a leap over a barbed wire fence.

Nice.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Awwww Bus, we love you really! image If I won a local village fate fun run I'd still be chuffed Bus! If Mee Meep was running it wasn't like you were only against plodders either. My only win was when 12 people went the wrong way and I unassumingly came into the finish to a huge cheer for what I thought was 15th-ish place!

Although it can gothe other way, over a year ago I did a mile race for the sport relife mile. I ran it after a HM but still won by a minute. I looked a right prat monstering a load of dads and teenagers.

Andy, I've only heard good things about the Stone course. Me and Deano will be there too.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ahh, thanks Stevie image

Yep, nice chatty, but still pretty pacey, run with SG at lunch, with a few miles at sub 7 pace thrown in (pacey for me - SG was at easy pace image). bit of a warm up beforehand made it 7.5M.  (less of the council clowns SG image)

My hamsting was fine running, but bloody hurts sitting here at the PC again!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

in fairness you are a mere day and half on from a MT hilly race. came out quite a nice pace bearing in mind a fairly steep hill midway, and then some offroad and undulating fields. And a risky barbed wire fence leaping.

Did an evening 4 including up marlow hill for a change. Probably was unwittingly trying to convince myself all feels well , as it came out 6.57 pace overall.

Breathing feels slightly harder, maybe i'm imagining it, and it starts stomach and slightly tightens elsewhere.

oh well..physio tomorrow at 8.30, so she can tell me what fancy muscle ive strained. or otherwise;

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hope it went OK SG.

Surprisingly good run for me this morning after a few toughish days! First run of a double, 7.5M hilly XC (of course!) at 7:39 pace, which is my fastest pace on that route for quite some time - compares to last week when I struggled to hit 8:30 pace on the same run!