Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

racing is obviously good for you Bus! has the hammy injury completely gone now?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It does sometimes seem that a few hard efforts in a row can kill or cure! 

The hamstring itself though is pretty much the same unfortunately. It's really an odd one, as it doesn't hurt at all when running, just the occasional bit of discomfort, but sitting at my desk, watching TV, or driving all set it off. There is a running connection though, as this gets worse after hard runs.  I'm going to go back to the Physio, as the stretches seem to make it worse, so I've stopped doing them so regularly. the main aim is to get it sorted before I drive down to the Jura in August, as 10 hours in the car will be a nightmare!

• Dachs- the sessions seem to not be leaving any marks in the days after so just going with it really. Would be a tad worried if the pace just felt impossible but 6mm feels easy enough. Managed to do last saturdays session strong enough.

easy day sunday with a 6m recovery run in morning and a 5m recovery run in evening at about 8mm. Then 20.15m on monday at a steadyish 6:47 pace. It's the real hard sessions I'm looking forward to. Like 20 with 10 or more at MP.

Stevie see- maybe its just that I didn't feel great on the day pehaps. Thats more plausible. thinking about it now its probably just as quick as Flintshire 10k. I remember starting pretty quick and slowing in second half a fairbit (poor pacing) went through 3k in 10:00mins. Silly really. Where are your club based? I seen a guy the other day in the Deestriders off road series race 1 wearing a vest just like yours.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Physio said the pelvis was a bit out of alignment, and that's why stomach muscle, groin and latterly the pelvis itself were experiencing tightness etc.

Got a stack of exercises, but been told i can carry on running, and even got a green light for tonight.

That was going to be the Marlow 5k, to bring up the 150th career race, a fitting venue I thought, put on by the club I raced for for 5/6years.

However, however, having felt the run at lunch, where the breathing felt a bit laboured, and the areas feeling tight and a bit achey, it'd be slightly mad to go and race I think.

No real win to racing, but plenty of potential losses!
    Think i'll stick to easy runs for this week, and bed the stretching in!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Probably sensible SG. Good that you've got the OK to run though....

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Flinshire had a fair few decent inclines in, I hope Stone isn't like that! We're based in mid-cheshire. I suspect that was Dave Phillips as he was talking about a race near Mold, to 'warm down' after his mountain leg as the Welsh Castles relay. Loves hills he does!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Bus - could it all be lnked to hip flexors, abductors and glutes? Sitting down for long periods really is the enemy of the hip flexor.

SG - sounds like good news. guess yo'll have to find another suitably momentous race for your 150

hope everyone else is fit for track tuesday image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

slightly less achy evening 4...deffo the right decision to easy run than race!

envy the Tuesday crew. well..a bit!

• I'm getting insanely jealous of anyone I see running! I understand what Marlow would have meant but you'll get a other chance. 

2 days of eccentric heel drops. 90 reps a day. Calfs getting used to it. Still tender to pinch. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You'll get there IC - patience!

Johnas wrote (see)

Bus - could it all be lnked to hip flexors, abductors and glutes? Sitting down for long periods really is the enemy of the hip flexor.

Dunno - wasn't mentioned by either physio, but worth trying some stretches for it  - do you know any good ones?

Another pretty solid run home tonight - off-road , 5.5M at 8:02 pace and it felt pretty easy (compared to 8:35 pace for the same run last week). It's nice to feel back on good form - just hope I don't come crashing down!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ah Bus, I have more stretches for some of those areas than is even funny.

Got a new hip flexor one today! Think lunges for hip flexors, back straight, lunge in. And a variation is a lunge but with both hands equal with the foot, as if you're at the start of a sprint race.

Glutes are all about getting on your ass and bringing legs across others so you feel it stretch in your ass.

Iron, hopefully we'll be brothers of recovery soon...although small mercy is I can comfortably still knock doubles out...but just stalled for progression and racing for a bit.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Glute stretches: I like this one. And the version where you lie on your back, cross one knee over the other, grab the ankles and pull them apart and towards you (is that what you mean SG?). Also, this, but after holding it for a bit, straighten the leg you're holding and flex the foot (while continuing to pull it towards you) to stretch the hamstring too.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this thread is becoming jinxed with all the injuries.image 

track Tuesday for me was 4 sets of 4 x 200. 1 min between reps and 3 mins between sets. First two out at 33 then the rest were a majority of 30s with an odd 31 and a couple of 29s to finish. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

first rule of StevieG thread is you do not talk about StevieG thread.

second rule is...when someone gets injured everyone does

But then how do you define an injury? Something that stops you running completely? Or just something that stops you racing/doing quality?

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Nice session Matt, be careful not to get too carried away with the 200s! Easily done... I should know!

TRACK TUESDAY:

6 x 800 (The Bus) @ 5K target pace of 2:42. 400 Jog recovery.

2:44, 2:45, 2:42, 2:42, 2:40, 2:40.

Quite pleased, first 2 were hard and we were worried but then got into it. A nasty headwind in the back straight made judging effort difficult. I was very keen not to try and 'beat the session' so the splits are fine.

Thursday is 12 x 400 @ Mile pace image

SG, I'm injured when I'm unable to run. Otherwise I just call it a niggle.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Tidy session that Stevie (though I'm sure Philip would be first to point out that technically that's a minibus, being 4.7 m short of a bus image). Two speed sessions in three days though? be careful!

Yours is pretty sharp too Matt and 16 x anything is very good going!

Thanks for the stretches Lit. I do a version of the second one , which the physio said was for the piriformis. The first one looks extremely painful - must be good image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Hip flexor lunges are a daily staple for me and worth doing Bus whether root of your problem or not. They won't do any runner any harm!  

Tasty short reps there Matt and very consistent splits SS. Thursday looking very tasty for you - I hope tomorrow is very easy if not a rest day   

Iron - glad to hear youre working on the recovery but sounds like some way to go yet. Are you cycling much?  

Track Tuesday: 5x400m off 60 sec recoveries @5k pace + 12 mins threshold + 5x400m off 60 sec recoveries @5k pace.  

First set of 400s all 76/77, threshold felt good at 5.40 average, final set 400s all 76/77 again. Felt very controlled despite working hard. Felt I could have done a few more reps in fact.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

I have been knackered and flat for the past week due to various reasons so I have only put my trainers on once and took the week as a cut back week. but i have a 5k race this weekend so did a 10*400 decided anything around 72/74 secs would be good but they all came out 71 without pushing them.  so happy that I could have got them sub 70 if the session demanded.  

I will have to have a read back over the last few pages to catch up

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good luck with sorting out the various ailments guys.

Speed sessions looking handy.

Dean, could be a good one at the weekend on that showing, good luck.

Still on the hills at the moment. The sort of speed I have is fast enough for my type of races. Its just having the strength to maintain it.

Just on the way out to run up a hill.

🙂

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Been lurking as busy recently and some interesting stuff going on. Hope the niggles settle for you all. Been struggling recently with the faster stuff and put it down to recovery from Mara and fatigue due to following a training plan after a month of after VLM with no real running (except races) done.

Park run done on sat within 5k of PB in hot weather after a heavier week than normal so happy enough and 10 x 400 last night in 76/78s which was target pace - Last one was a struggle but happy enough. 10k race on Saturday and not sure what pace to aim for. pb is 37.35 on a hilly course and 5k pb is 17.29. Was thinking of mid 36 as a target time which would be around 3.40 pace

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Mid 36 seems like a realistic target Mennania based on your current 5k pace. Is it a potential PB course?

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Its billed as a fast and flat back and out 10k and organised by the same guys who do the Chester full and Half marathon. Should be a good PB course, particularly around here (N.Wales)

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

sounds perfect then. got a 10k myself this weekend. here's hoping we've both got good race reports for the thread as the guys on here have set the bar pretty high of late!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Don't worry Johnas, I've got a race tonight and I'll probably be crap. Strange random distance, loads of hills and no toilets, and all the muscles in my legs are ridiculously tight.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Lit, does a lack of toilets generally affect your race performance?

I belatedly entered the 21st Century and invested in a Garmin Forerunner 210 with HRM yesterday.  What with £100 of race vouchers and the fact that they very kindly gave me a 10% discount because they'd lost the key to the cabinet the day I originally went to get it (it didn't bother me at all, but much appreciated nonetheless) it only cost me £62.  Didn't get to have a play with it yesterday though due to stupid DIY tasks.

Still only doing the very odd jog this week for my rest week.  I wish I could say that I was coursing with energy as a result of this downtime, but I fell asleep on the sofa last night and woke up at 4 am, so it isn't strictly true.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Dachs - it's an inconvenience. I expect squatting in the bushes for my pre-race pee (x3) will make my calf muscles even tighter.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Lit, they won't get the message about needing to provide toilets if you hide away to do it.  Do it in full view of everyone, particularly a picnicing family with young children.  I suppose it doesn't help the calf issue much, but you're playing the long game here.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

+1 for what dachs says.  if you are caught short whilst waiting on the line and there are no toilets by the pen your only option, nay it is your obligation, is to take 10 steps forward cross the line and squat. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

And retain eye-contact with the other runners on the start line at all times.