Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Jesus thats some eye watering pace. 26 seconds on the second one Dean. Fastest I ever did was 29 seconds.

rest day today, image seem to have a weird ache in left foot. Doesn't hurt to run on as it hasn't effected me yet but has been "there" when walking round house putting weight on second smallest toe on left foot. Just been getting a tiny bit more noticeable each day image
  • Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Good brisk session there Dean (@ sub 2 min 800 pace... coincidence? image).

Happy birthday Bus, some decent ales going down tonight or tomorrow I hope.

Did 10 x 400 off 1min tonight.

77, 76, 77, 77, 76, 76, 76, 75, 76, 75. Nice session took a while to lock into the intensity. Certainly gave me food for thought about the mile race. But I don't think it's about killing myself on the track all the time to hit target pace (especially mile target pace). This session felt good, like I could have done 2 more reps.

Think I'm doing a parkrun and hill sprints after on Saturday morning.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It was IC! Best thing was the hundreds of swallows just above water level  flying at speed inches from my head, like WW2  fighter!

Not much ale tonight Stevie as I've an early start  - bit more tomorrow night with a curry thrown in for good measureimage. That's one helluva session - good pace, good number of reps and very consistent, with a nice slight but steady increase across the sesh....

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Ditto with the curry tomorrow night! Great Saturday parkrun fuel!

• Another happy birthday from me..

Tired today., went to London for 2 days... Got up on Tuesday and did a 6.5 mile run incl. 4 miles at threshold. Well, struggled to keep pace in the wind.. was just under HM pace in the end.

Easy 5 miles around Hyde Park yesterday.. Had to consider that a rest day to not alienate my girlfriend too much whilst away!

Back late last night. Hit the track today for a 5k pacing interval session. Did 6x800 at average 2:40.. Think that equates to around 16:40 ish pace. Yuck!

Did another easy 5 miles after work.

Struggling with miles this week. I was aiming to build up towards 75 plus for marathon training but not sure where I'm gonna find the time.. Or energy! 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

somemills some decent mileage there Ric. lightening pace as per Dean And a decent session Stevie.

be careful with the foot Andy. I started with a bit of feeling in my foot last year when training for Chester marathon (I remember you from posting on that thread). I carried on running through it then one morning I couldn't put any weight on it. I spent 6 weeks unable to run. 

another solo track session (I don't know how some of you do them all solo). Was feeling lethargic beforehand but did 5 x 1000 with 1 min 200m jog recovery. same session I got off the Internet the other week where as the recovery is short and the pace is slightly quicker than 10k pace it was called a tempo interval session. (New to me but prob old hat to some of you) target pace was 3.14 and barring a lazy start which resulted in a 3.17 all the rest were on target. found them bloody hard work though. I'm sure I did 8 x 1000 the week before Salford with slightly longer rec but they certainly felt easier. Prob due to 3 sessions in 6 days why I felt tired, and with a 5 week old! image 

• Matt, well done on your session. Mine felt really tough too but had 400m jog recoveries. Don't think I could sustain 10k pace for that sort of session! 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Ideally it should be 6 x 1000 Tim, but thats for 10k training. It's pretty much my target pace for my track debut next week. Hopefully the adrenaline, rested legs beforehand and the class of the other runners will help me along. 

Here's to hoping! image 

• Cheers Matti. Going to take another rest day today, it feels no worse than yesterday so not being worse is something atleast. And no point maintaining a potential injury anyway especially with an A race on the 23rd June. Couple days rest won't harm. More optimistic today compared to yesterdays sulk. image
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good sessions last night

ss - like the fact they got quicker, was that the target?

Andy - careful of that foot, those small injuries become ones that can hang around.  If you are only doing easy mileage on it i would take 3 days off and not bother and rest properly.

Mattl - talk about a tough session.  off such a short recovery.  Fast pace looks good for you for the 5000m

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

nice sessions all round indeed. Great pacing SS, ridiculously fast 200s (again!) Dean, welcome to tempo intervals Matt (sure fire way to improvement).

Tim - any reason you've singled out 75 miles a week for mara training? P&D schedule?

progression run for me last night. 15mins easy (6.58 av); 15 mins MP (6.06 ave); 15 mins threshold (5.38 ave).

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Every time I load up this website I wonder why Michael Douglas is running the Brighton Marathon.

Some excellent sessions going on.  Makes me want to get back out there already, and I haven't even properly started the endurance phase of marathon training yet.  Nice 200s in particular, Dean. 

Excellent progression Johnas - threshold seems to have come down a bit?

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

Excellent progression Johnas - threshold seems to have come down a bit?

cheers Dachs. yeah, it's come down about 10 seconds per mile since I last ran a 10k in Nov last year. Hopefully that will show in this weekend's 10k race!

• Johnas wrote (see)

nice sessions all round indeed. Great pacing SS, ridiculously fast 200s (again!) Dean, welcome to tempo intervals Matt (sure fire way to improvement).

Tim - any reason you've singled out 75 miles a week for mara training? P&D schedule?

progression run for me last night. 15mins easy (6.58 av); 15 mins MP (6.06 ave); 15 mins threshold (5.38 ave).

Hi Johnas.. I should be starting some sort of plan this week but I'm just going to build on what I'm doing now. I'm currently on around 60. Will start lengthening my Sunday run and change my quality sessions accordingly. Probably take it easier on a Monday and Friday then do a second longer run on weds.. 75 is just an estimate.. Is it too late for me to start the P&D plan? Should I get to the bookshop? 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Tim, if you do decide to do P&D I can give you an amazing spreadsheet... (via Mennania) image

• Oh? Never seen "amazing" and "spreadsheet" in the same sentence!!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

i see. i was just wondering that was all. your plan sounds the same as my last cycle (monday was recovery run after sundays long run; weds were midweek easy long run and friday was/is my day off). think i only did one 70 mile week and a couple at 69.

cant remember which mara you're doing but don't think it's too late for P&D especially as you've got a good base. i think they do 12 & 16 week plans (don't quote me though - sure Dachs can confirm)

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It is 12 and 18 (and 24 in 1st edition) weeks though I'm sure they could be easily adapted to fit the timeframe.

And who doesn't love spreadsheets? This one has formulas in I don't even understand. It's like magic.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Johnas fast work last night.  i have never run that fast apart from a race or track

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

you will though once you start your marthon training though Dean. Hows that going by the way?  image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

I'm slowly getting there a few 200m reps at a time image

although I was advised to maybe miss out running it in 2014 as it might have an adverse effect on speed and that I should concentrate on speed events Rather than a marathon. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

That would be the case every year though?

• I'm running Chesteonion Oct so a 12 week would work.  

• Haha! Steve Jobs strikes again! 

• Lit.. I'm intrigued by that spreadsheet now!! 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, I don't know... you were a bit sceptical abouts its allegedly amazing properties. But if you pm me with your e-mail address I'll see what I can do.

• Johnas wrote (see)

Hi Johnas.. I should be starting some sort of plan this week but I'm just going to build on what I'm doing now. I'm currently on around 60. Will start lengthening my Sunday run and change my quality sessions accordingly. Probably take it easier on a Monday and Friday then do a second longer run on weds.. 75 is just an estimate.. Is it too late for me to start the P&D plan? Should I get to the bookshop? 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Easier day planned for today on account of tomorrow's race. Yesterday was a 3:00am wake-up, 12 miler by 7:15 and a stack of work finishing at 5:00pm.

Only been awake a hour, 10 miles or 8 miles. I'll think about it when I'm out. Only a couple of jobs in the book today. 

I should get one of those pedometer gadgets. During the day I must walk miles.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Up bright an early again Ric. I'm not sure I could knock a 10 miler out so soon. When I'm doing doubles I usually just do 4 mile with my dog in tow in the mornings. That's some big recently you've done recently. 

i find I walk miles during the day myself with working on site and being up and down step ladders etc. When I was working down Huntingdonshire earlier this year I was running doubles everyday, walking over a mile to work, the mile into town at dinner (12pm is dinner time to me)image the mile back to work then the mile to the hotel after work. coupled with working in a hot plant room and being on my feet all day I was prob averaging 15 miles a day and working 12. It was no wonder I was eating baguettes, flapjacks and a  pub meal in the evening but still lost 5 pound over a fortnight. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hi mattl, I settled for the 8 miles this time.

Most of this easy running has been about shifting some excess flab. Dropped 3lb's in last 3 weeks. In the 8 stone something region.

Mind you, I'm only 5' 5".

🙂