Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good question Bluey. The only brown shoes I've got are slip ons.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sorry Dachs, nothing more positive here! Wycombe Half was a disaster! Almost 3 mins behind last year, and slowest on the course for 6 years at 1:24:19.

Lots of minor reasons, whihc could account for a minute or so maybe - ongoing hamstring issue, lack of sleep, few days of the squits, very humid conditions, breezy, blah de blah, but the biggest reason today was my own fault!

I found myself running from about 3-6 miles with local legend Derek Brown - who has won the race on more than one occasion, but at 55 has slowed just enough for me to catch him! Howver, he overtook me at about 5 miles, just before a very big, steep downhill. I couldn't resist the opportunity to overtake him, and absolutely hammered it down the hill, only to find that when it levelled off, and started the very slight climb that continues for  the last 7 miles, my legs were shagged, and my back hurt. From that point on I struggled to even hit close to marathon pace, and needless to say, Derek beat me by 2 minutes and about 4 others pulled past before the end. You can get away with that sort of thing when its a downhill to the finish, but not when it only takes you to half way! Hey ho, another lesson learnt (one I should have already known!).

I was in such a state at the 11 mile point that for a moment I thought Philip, who was spectating, was someone else, who I knew was actually running the race!! Week off now and hope I've not done any permanent damage.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not a vintage thread racing day! I wouldn't call mine a disaster, but then I did the 10k, so there was less scope to drop off!

Having come 4th last year in 36.48, when my pb was 35.20, I thought now having a 34.30 pb, I might well have a shot at sub 36 and top 3.

Not to be though. The local hot shot AC team turned up, so I ended 6th in 36.45..a ..ahem, 2 sec course pb image

Poor night's sleep didn't help. one of those nights you can't get into deep sleep, and despite it looking overcast it felt pretty muggy. You know, the have a jog, stop and you dribble sweat.

Got to the start line, saw a gang of 5 from Wycombe Phoenix, and thought, arse.

Still foolishly set off like a monster, just behind local legend Cooray, the Olympic marathon runner, although obviously he was doing the half.

Exchanged some banter with EOG who asked if I was doing the half. My response? Starting at this pace you must be joking. Though, I then said actually doing the 10k starting like this is silly too.

However, felt alright, and up the hill as usual was fine, as you tend to smash that. And you get to 1km before the hill, so it seems shorter than I remember.

Got overtaken by Jock Itch from Fetch, a chap I think i'm pretty level pegging with if both on top form, but he was well on it today, and mashed me by almost a minute.

It's the second mile that always seems hard as you're recovering from the first hill.

Splits mean nothing. Especially if you've confused your monkey brain like I did, foolishly taking the 1km AND the 1mile splits...making the split from 1mile to 2k a right brain teaser.

Anyway, getting to 5km and the lovely downhill was the mission. Couldn't seem to get the watch to register much beyond sub 6 pace which was disturbing, as was some old guy doing the half, who seemed to be playing some odd game of pissing about 50metres clear, slowing, and then drafting me way too close. Get the hell out of it mate! image

Was delighted to see the 5km marker, although i'd forgotten that at race pace the 200m climb it brings is tough. I then smashed down the steep hill, thinking is anyone else in this race....guy in front miles clear, guy behind miles behind...

Got to the bottom, 6k, checked the split, 3.31. 3.31? That's slower on a 1km with a massive downhill bias than my pb km pace! What is going on.

Ignored it, smashed out into the road.  5.20s pace now, still got the hill in my legs....watch strap had broken, so I looked a right clown carrying the watch in my hand.

Needed someone to ditch it on really...

7k passed, who's that in the distance, it's my old mum! Yes...got a few rants, what time's this meant to have started, why's it so early etc... Sshhh i'm racing, just catch this watch...before I chucked it way too hard into some bushes...

where's the top bit of the strap? I just about heard...

It's on there...... I screamed back,.....

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

do you reckon it came because of the high sequence of high mileage days without a rest Ric?

Unlikely SG, The way I'm training has no element of compounded fatigue that requires a rest day. I currently recover within the framework of daily runs.

Hammering myself is not my way. I don't need a rest because of that.

It (the virus) came because I caught it from someone, my wife has a cold, my lad has a cold, one of my customers had a cold. It could have come from anywhere. 

It's a blessing in disguise actually. My records show that I've never caught two colds within 12 weeks of each other. So this is one concern that has gone prior to my target event in 8 weeks time.

Well done guys in 'toughing' it out today. 

Races can be rather stressful at times.

🙂

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

ooh, cliffhanger where SG is having an argument with his mum.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

carried on up an incredibly non steep incline, that feels steeper the longer you've run, and into the woods. Ranted at a mate that my watch had snapped off, but it probably came out as "rahhh rahh rahh"

8k up, is there anyone else in this race, can't see anyone even down this long straight woody path section behind the main park.

Finally at about 8.8km saw a Phoenix junior. He was coming back so hard it was crazy. I knew what would happen....

And so it proved, he was dying at a pace, just slightly slower than I was ramping it up, so I got to jockey him in from about 8-10metres behind for the last km, unwilling to obliterate myself for 6th, and knowing he'd probably have a gear change if I did.

Saw the clock ticking through the mid 36s, so was pleased to have at least snatched a course pb..

that's 36.47, 36.48, 36.45 here now in the last 3 years. Consistent.

Like Bus says though, weather was harder this year for sure. Very muggy.  Last year I also had a very tight race with a guy from 2k to 9km...whereas this year from 3k to the last 1/2km I barely saw anyone!

Over the line, nice lie down, see how everyone else had done.

My pal Bood, very occasional poster on here got a sub 40, his best pound for pound 10k. He's done a 20-30sec quicker elsewhere 10k, but this course being harder accounts for the ranking...

Jock Itch got 3rd place, and would have been V40 1st if not...£15 vouchers, nice prize.

OG, Fabian Downes and Cooray hoovered up the top 3, and also got the top 3 county champs medals too...

But otherwise a bit of a day of underpar stuff... probably doesn't help I never target the Wycombe race, instead shoehorning it in as it's my local..

but...150 races completed now...not the glory we were after, but was alright!

and don't worry, even for an average race I'll still whack a massive report out of it!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bluey/Dachs, don't seem too bad efforts by you chaps at all.

Dachs, ill and a hard course, and still sub 1hr 20...remember the days a sub 1hr 20 was a huge achievement!

Bus, your worst time in 6 years is still better than my best half on that course...

Sometimes gentlemen and Lit, we need to take a bit of a step back, and realise not every race can be a monster performance..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

looks like Johnas might have rescued the thread's day, my word...and on a 2nd race in 2 days!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I was probably not paying enough attention, but hearing the litany of maladies and afflictions affecting some of you guys during the past week, I assumed all talk of forth-coming races were 'next' weekend at the earliest.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Bus, your worst time in 6 years is still better than my best half on that course...

Sometimes gentlemen and Lit, we need to take a bit of a step back, and realise not every race can be a monster performance..

Very obliging of you to do the 10k every year since SG image )Does make me feel better though...)

Top report by the way - did your mum find the watch?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Oh, forgot to say earlier - I also ran into the back of a car!!! Not my fault, honest! A marshall directed me from the pavement onto the road at the same time a dozy driver decided to pull over to talk to the marshall! Lucky I was going slow as I hit it! No damage done, except loss of rhythmn!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Bet his mum is still looking for the watch.

Was the car okay?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, the watch is in hand, but now the plaster has come off midrace I realise that's not going to be a solution ever again. Will just buy a new one!

The 10k never feels terrific, so can't see going back to the half!

That's all you need on a hard distance and course, some boob in a car clowning around.

Did see some guy who must have been top 25 sprinting his way in for the last 100metres. Must have undercooked it earlier!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Didn't see him. Must admit, my only positive today was I managed to muster a bit of a surge at the end to keep the guy behind form taking me.

I think the car survived lit - didn't hang around to give it the full once over though image

There was another one too, some pet sitting service that missed me and Derek by about 2 inches, and that was on the section that was suposed to be closed to traffic! Wish I could rember the name of the company...

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Bus SG -  knowing what a tough course HW is, those results don't seem bad at all in the conditions. I've only done the half one in 1.26 so you've got one over both SG and me Bus. Classic SG race report and a decent 6th position - good going mate.

Dachs/bluenose - brown shoe laces? Possibly the worst goody bag insertion ever. Almost as horrendous as Dachs admitting to brown slip ons! Hearing Dachs run 1.19ish makes me think this isn't a race I'll enter, ever.  

Ric - shame the cold hit. London was fantastic running conditions this morning - maybe not quite as hot as you'd like it but warm enough for sure. Get well soon.  

Tim - 3 quite mixed distances this week then and all at a faster than threshold pace. Not a bad week in the scheme of things and all good training. Nothing quite like racing yourself fit!  

PMJ - happy racing in US of A. Had a chat with your team mate Thomas Stevens today at National Lottery 5 miler who finished 6th despite only getting off a plane at 1am this morning  

Lit - still waiting for a race report from you. Or alternatively, a report on.....?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Johnas wrote (see)

Lit - still waiting for a race report from you. Or alternatively, a report on.....?

Oops, you mean I'm supposed to contribute something other than occasional facetious comments? image

Obviously I'm far too bashful to post much about my training as I don't spend all my time down the track smashing out scarily fast reps. However, I did do a race on Wednesday. It was the third of four races in the Notts county summer league and I was not feeling enthusiastic, especially because the weather forecast was predicting temps as high as 30C (turned out to be a more manageable 25ish in the end). But had to do it as I was second in the individual ladies' league table after the first two races, on 8 points against Speedy from the sub-3:15 thread's 6.

The course is 4.9 miles through the woods, about 3:1 road/trail, and has a reputation for being somehow 'all downhill' despite being a loop, which I can sort of see now I've done it because there seemed to be a lot of pelting downhill to the point where I was getting worried the uphill was going to suddenly loom up and scupper my race at the end, but it never quite did. I got off to a slightly too-fast (for me) start trying to keep up with a clubmate and had the satisfaction of leaving an actual cloud of dust behind me. There was one properly fast woman there, who was always going to win it but hasn't done all the league races, so she was ahead but I managed to drop the others and was second lady all the way round. Pacing felt rubbish (1st mile at 3k pace, 4th mile (the one with the actual uphill bits on trail) at HM pace) but seems to have been the same for everyone. I was only overtaken by one bloke in that 4th mile too, someone from the local club whose marshalls were taking the piss out of him for being stuck behind the 2nd lady.

I finished 2nd in 31:00 and was annoyed they hadn't just started it 175 yards round the field for an actual 5 mile race because would have been a PB for a distance I'll actually run again, rather than for that all-important 4.9 mile distance. Speedy came in 4th lady, so now we're going into the last (hilly trail) race of the league joint first with 10 points each. Scary.

Edit: improvements on the last race included actual toilet and shower facilities.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

There you go Lit... that wasn't so bad was it? AND the best podium finish of the weekend... Take note fellas!

Mixed bag of 'Olympic' racing for me this weekend - 2 races in 2 days.  

Dorney Dash yesterday - a flat 10k around the Olympic rowing lake in Eton, Windsor. Quickly settled into 5th which was a surprise but by 4km had moved up into 2nd. Ran the course alone until 9km when yet again, got out paced and finished 3rd in 35 mins on the nose. Was using the average pace function on my Garmin so was gutted (and still can't explain) how it read av pace 5.35 yet I finished in 35 mins. Maybe down to having it on auto lap? Anyway, was fecked off with that. Silver plate and bottle of wine for the trouble (and terrible photo).  
    /members/images/496080/Gallery/Dorney_Dash_3rd_20.07.13_v2.jpg

Then up at 5.30am today for National Lottery Anniversary 5 miler in the Olympic park finishing in the stadium. Expected a circus so had no plans on running a fast time based on the reports of last week's money making British 10k and with yesterday's Dorney 10k in my legs too. Got to start line early to get a good place and found myself in a group of 30 odd that got ushered to the very front to be in the background for the photos of Vic Pendleton and the one and only Paula Radcliffe (although apparently she's still on recovery and only running 80 miles per week at moment so not racing(!)). Despite heavy legs and a quite undulating and technical course (lots of bridges and 180 turns), settled nicely into 5.30 miling and finished 12th overall in 27.24. I should race hard the day before races more often image
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nicely done Johnas - you and Lit have restored the Threads credibility image

Impressive times on both races Johnsa, and especailly ont he 5 miler withall those turns etc, and being the second race in two days. I think the occasional one of those does work, but not something that your legs can take often!

So, models all day at work, then a photoshoot with Paula and Vic at the weekend! Philips constant globetrotting aside, you definitely are the forumite with the most glamorous lifestyle image

Lit - as Johnas says - best podium finish of the forum and a top report too! Most enjoyable read - shame about the 0.1M.  The ladies had an issue at Wycombe today - no showers for them at the end (us men had some old-school freezing showers) and not enough loos for them either, which mean the hardier ones ened up queing in the gents right past the urinals (slightly off-putting I have to say, though they were polite enough to studiously try and look the other way). I notice the same ladies didn't just use the mens showers (whihc was a shame image).

As for Garmin auto lap, I did that today and they were miles out (or the marker were), but I'd never trust a GPS for absolute accuracy. Mine gave 13.22 today, but gave 13.09 for the same course last year! 

• Bluenose74Bluenose74 ✭✭✭

Dachs, results on runbritain, not even a handful of  PB's or SB's today  (the guy that was 4th in thee 10k wasn't him)... So your run today after illness was a lot better than you give it credit for....

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Bus, I've only ever done about three races (in an admittedly short career so far) that had enough ladies' loos. One of them was the Tunbridge Wells half, though, so congratulations to Johnas if he was in charge of toileting arrangements. image

Oh, and well done for the weekend's racing, obviously.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

said it to you elsewhere Johnas, but wow, how on earth you do a 27.24 5miler the day after a race, I don't know! You've certainly now confirmed you've moved on a gear, after hinting at it for a while! Sub 5.30 pace is getting pretty sharp.

Key for young Lit here, is managing to wade through her massive club championship to get to the rare fast flat proper distance races. If she can stay injury free until then, i'm sure she's got pb party time ahead.

I know Dachs especially likes a comedy name, but surely the guy in 108th place in the Wycombe 10k results isn't a real name!

And don't worry about the race results. For some reason they've added 18mins to the front runners.....I didn't do 54:45 today! It was average, but not an absolute meltdown!!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Brillaint work Johnas, very good times and two days in a row!  Nice when the training pays dividends. I hate sharp turns and little bridges they upset the rhythm so you did well there. Finishing in the stadium must have been interesting too.

Not sure if I missed the 3k'ers last week. So well done to Tim and Stevie See. Always good to have a fast last lap Tim, much better way of racing than a very fast first lap! You should knock that 10min barrier out the way Stevie if you do Watford, although I hear it may be super hot in the day, but the race will be late at night I guess.

Unlucky with the 800m Dean, I can imagine if you jumped from say 35 to 55 miles a week it might have took the zip out of the legs or something.

Nice series duel Lit, hope the next race goes your way!

Tough road runs dont float my boat but nice result SG! I somehow though you had been temped by the half marathon. But I guess your not as nuts as Bus and Dachs and you thought you'd run shorter and still get an equivalent goody bag image

No Bus I hadn't written a report on the fell stuff, having laptop access issues 24/7 (something to do with the girlfriend and some crappy candy crush saga game)

Just had a trip to the peak district this weekend so thought I'd throw in two races. On Saturday I did the Crowden Horseshoe fell race, garmin had it just over 13km and 1400ft of climbing/decending. Its got everything from technical & steep up and downs to gently ascending flagstone paths and varying terrain, rocky/peaty bogs/dirt trail/flagstone paths, even a small length of road at the start and end.

Its fairly brutal in places, mile 1 was covered in 8:30/273ft of up, let the first 4 runners go as I wanted to enjoy the run and just ran behind 5th place. Had to ditch him as he was too slow in the technical bits so chased down and settled in behind 4th/3rd over the 2nd insane mile, 12:19! / 679ft, now we were up running properly as it starting flowing gently up and down  along a narrow dirt trail sometimes rocky, with  a nice view and big cliff drop about 2meters away. 1st and second had buggered off into the distance so just hung with the two who were tripping all over the place but they were quite fast and it was a pleasure to run with them upto 4miles when I pushed on up the flagstone path to the top of black hill.This is quite a long drag and I just worked steadily. crested the top in 39:45, I was just on my own now, running over the hills thought the fairly dry peat bogs, twisted both ankles at some point as the final descent is just rocky and slightly treacherous, dropping 400ft in the mile 7 and 500ft in mile 8! Finishing in about 1:04:58 for 3rd place. Great race, so much fun. The 7pints and late night for a 29th Birthday the Friday night didnt affect me too much, so did the same of the Saturday night for a 30th Party. Then woke up for the...

Gravy 6 trail race this morning, 5.9miles/300ft on the garmin, 34:21 for a 5:50 average, nice run, trails, bit of travel nad some rocky up and down, legs felt ok so ran with 3rd till the last mile and launched in a 5:24mile to claim 3rd and a £20 sweatshop voucher. A good weeknd all in all. Ankles with be ok in afew days..

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Apologies bluenose missed you out, great running today, , although at first I thought you'd broke you PB by 43secs, which would have been exceptional.!

Good luck over the pond PMJ!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Well done yesterday at Dorney Johnas, and to everyone else running this weekend. Dorney marked the end of my summer foray into the 10k world with a  mildly disappointing  finish in 37:52.

I'd like to blame it on a couple of weeks without any speedwork due to some niggles - I think the reality is that I'm not tough enough yet for that distance. Give me a marathon anyday!

Even my Garmin having me apparently run over water couldn't help me get to the other end of a 37:xx. Maybe next year.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

the irony is not lost on me SG... Have spent the last 3 weeks racing 10k's trying hard to get to that pace and failing week after week with it feeling hard work too. Go out today with no game or pace plan and it felt great right to the line. If only I could have done an extra mile to score a big 10k PB today too!

top racing seb - sounds terribly tough and like hard work to me. Bus and Matt will be all excited about those ascents and descents though. nice to see another podium finish for the thread this weekend image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

AR - well done mate. Another marathon cycle and youll lower that 10k PB no problems. Maybe look at Brighton 10k in Nov if you're doing an Autum marathon?. End of short stuff for me to now - back to marathon training again starting ttomorrow

Lit - I'm Chief Marshal so not involved with the toilets but I do believe our toilet queue marshals are highly reverred and appreciated by runners!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

almost sounds like it's the experience of those other back to back 10ks coming up trumps today. A lot of us have a big crack at a distance, when perhaps you need a few goes to peak.

But those races where you feel bang up for it, and have it in you to smash it are rare, so really one to savour. I was the opposite today, and I think the worst thing with this race is it being so local. There's not that nice calming drive stage that gets you in the right mindset, just a casual stroll over!

sounds some fast paces on offroad Seb! But sounds like just your thing, and cracking results. Nice work!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Johnas, hope you have a big F OFF jacket saying CHIEF MARSHALL on it.

With maybe "that's right, respect my authoritah" on it too image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

He did, I saw it. image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You're right Johnas - I did get excited over Seb's race reports! Quite right too - top racing there Seb, and the Friday and Saturday night hydration strategies show you must have a bit of the Steve Jones about you image