Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ric, it was a prescribed session at approximately the prescribed pace. But the fact that it was doable builds confidence, especially after a shoddy race.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Your version of doable is different to a lot of ours Dachs image

6 done and dusted. Felt a bit tight pelvis/flexors, but like with the hip last year I tend to find a day off actually makes things tighter, and regular use keeps you ticking over.

Will look forward to watching some proper runners this afternoon.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's a result SG - when we tried to buy tickets they were ridiculously expensive!

Dachs - sounds like a good session to me. Maybe not one for every marathon long run, but one of those that not only builds confidence, but notches up physiological improvements.

1st parkrun win for me today (need to check whether it actually was the slowest ever parkrun win though image). Wasn't sure what to expect, as I've not run since last Sunday and a new stupid car park machine at the park meant a large queue and very little warm-up time. Result -18:37. 24 secs off my best for the course, but a couple of secs faster than two weeks ago on a  similalry humid morning. So much for 5 days rest! But of typical bus retching at the 4k point despite having no-one to push me on.

Had the pleasure (embarassment?) of someone coming up to me beforehand and saying "you're the guy who won the Stokenchurch race aren't you?". Bet Mo gets that all the time image (not Stokenchurch obviously....)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Only 8 miles today. Planning much further tomorrow. Only have to average @ 12 miles per day so a few miles in hand.

Did a couple of strides of around 400m each to check I could still run faster than 8 minute mile pace. Conditioning must be ok, at six minute mile pace I was barely breathing.

🙂

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Aha, found abit of wi-fi here on the isle of man, so a quick well done to the 3k PBers Stevie G and See! Nice running shame I couldnt make it but I battered myself on the track Tuesday so didn't think it was worth the trip.

What qualifies as a proving session but has little benefit Ric? I guess you mean maybe long MP runs if your not targeting a marathon and such pointless activities. 

Mid 18 s and a parkrun win Bus, sounds a fairly easy run out.

Little seaside tempo this morning postponed from Thursday due to fatigue.  Just 4 x 1m w.90sec recovery due to time constraints and a nice long coastal path fell/trail planned for tomorrow as the weather is unusually nice here. No rain which is odd.

Anyone racing tomorrow? 

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Good race Phil, in what seems an odd set up?

Was it a prize for the 3rd/Vet win, or was it more like your parkrun/summer 5k series set up?

Prizes were odd. Trophy for first male and first female, then awards for top 3 in each 5 year age bracket. The girl who came in last overall (50:30 for a 5k) came 3rd F45-49.

For the record, I was 3rd overall, and only beaten by younger people, which is basically my aim now.

bus, you can't win parkrun: fastest yes, first finisher yes, but not win image. Congrats on the not win. Now you have a not win, can you give me the nod on Saturdays when you won't be doign it so I can get a not win at Wycombe myself.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Given my "not win" was so close to your recent parkrun time Philip, there's no reason we can't go head to head for a "not win" soon and see who would be first finisher image

Bloody hamstrings are killing me now though, not helped by a 2 hour dirve to Basingstoke and back this afternoon - I'm going to need to make a decision fairly soon as to whether it is realistic to carry on training for Abo or not with this carrying on, given how much it was set back by  a half last weekend.

Seb - nice part of the world for a long run tomorrow, especialy if you are lucky enough for it not to be wet!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good win Bus. Easier said than done I think, I've had two 4ths so far!

Cracking day at the Olympic stadium. About 20 events, so you don't go longer than about 2-3mins without something going on, especially with the field stuff being ongoing.

We were right in front of the long jump and quite close to the pole vault. Shame the chap didn't set a new world record. Bubka's pole vault has stood since 92 or 93!

Shame Mo couldn't break the British 3k record too, being 4secs out. Pacemaker set off a bit too slow which didn't help, even the announcer was willing them on! By the time he dropped out he was in 4th/5th!

4x100m Relay was the last event. Seemed a bit farcical, with one team being out by about 120metres, our boys doing a classic baton drop, and Bolt having the easiest leg ever to win comfortably!

Pouring with rain now, so best get out for a 3!

• BTN Big 10K Chicago.

BTN stands for the Big Ten Conference and the Big Ten are 12 Colleges (Universities) in the north east of the USA. Most sports work a system so that there is a conference championship and then the 11 conference winners go head to head in a knock out to find the national champion. Don't confuse the 12 teams in the Big Ten with the Big 12 which is based in the Texas area. College sports in the USA are big. I have been to college football games (that is American football and not soccer) with 106,000 people watching. That is bigger than Wembley or Old Trafford. The 3rd and 4th largest stadiums in the world are college football stadiums.

So you have the idea: a 10k in Chicago based on the rivalry between 12 colleges and pulling in runners from 9 different states. Last year there were about 5,000 runners in the 10k and 5k, this year 13,000.

The weather in Chicago has cooled off a lot so about 16 degrees. The race start was 7 am so I set an alarm for 5:30 but woke up at about 2 with a major cramp in my calf that hurt like buggery. In the past, these cramps have pulled muscles and I have been unable to run and I was fearful this was the case but it seemed just stiff rather than pulled. I had planned a jog to the start (about 2 miles away) but canned that plan and walked. Got to the start, dropped off kit and started to realise the enormity of the race. I have only run a couple of big races and when I have done so I have been lucky enough to be graded and got a GFA or other starting pen. The starting corrals (they don't call them pens) must have been the best part of a mile long. Luckily I was in pen A (elite needed 2:50 marathon and they rejected my 2:50:28).

Waiting over, they brought in the elites ahead of pen A but I managed to move up as a lot of the elites were women and with respect, while a 40 minute time is elite women, it is just a blockage for many male runners.

Hooter goes and we are away. A bunch of super fast Africans heads off and are never seen again and I keep an eye on the Garmin to avoid over cooking the first mile and it was showing 5:50 pace so OK. As we settled down there was a good bunch just ahead which I started to pull in and the first mile ended up 5:46 and the bunch still ahead but a few coming off the back. Mile 2 was steady at 5:55 and I hooked up with what I first thought was a young guy in a baseball hat until we clipped elbows and the voice was female. Any doubts about the cramp were gone and I was really enjoying the race. The increase from 5,000 to 13,000 had brought a lot more quality and even though it was obvious that (i) I was going to get chicked and (ii) I wasn't going to be top 25 I was really enjoying the race. I did a low 37 10k earlier this year (spot on 6 minute pace) and so with about a 20 second buffer built up by 2 miles I was thinking about bettering that.

The girl (and I now know she is an Olympic "hopeful", http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/w-xc/mtt/hattendorf_lindsay00.html) and I were helping each other along nicely and we started to pick off runners ahead in ones and twos. Went through 5k in 18:20 which was faster than the 5k I did on Wednesday and found out why. The out leg was along a very flat many lane road, perfect for running, when we turned we moved onto cycle tracks which were less flat, bendy and had a head wind. The wind was quite strong but luckily the route was littered with fine young examples of American athletes who like weights so I tucked in behind a few tall guys with broad shoulders, a luxury I have never had before. 

Miles 4 was spot on 6 pace but it dropped off but I had no answer. If I came out from behind the shelter it was hard and the wind break was doing 6:08 pace so I was loosing those

• Miles 4 was spot on 6 pace but it dropped off but I had no answer. If I came out from behind the shelter it was hard and the wind break was doing 6:08 pace so I was loosing those 20 seconds in big chunks. Eventually went through the 6 mile mark and turned for home so was able to break out and use a tail wind for 5:30 pace over the last 0.2 odd miles and record 37:05.

Bit hacked off I couldn't go sub 37, the wind cost me that. All done and dusted by 7:40, left the event at 11, over 3 hours later. That is the big difference between USA and UK: the 10k is an event, not a race.

After the race,there was a free beer, a free hot dog, entertainments, the 5k race, a TV appearance for me as a nominal foreigner. Some things they go very right, some very wrong (the 5k was started 75 minutes after the 10k but on the same course, the 5k just turned early, so the fast 5k runners had to wave though back markers. As I watched the 5k finish, there were 5k runners on the other side of the divider still starting!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good outing Phil. Only you would be abroad for work and still manage to fit 2 races in!  First reaction was that's a cracking 10k time given your 5k the other day. That pre London 2012 pace is with you again.

As a reward, here's a pic ALD snapped mid leap from Jess today!

/members/images/104999/Gallery/Anniversary_games_Jess_mid_air.jpg

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sounds like a cracking day out all round. Good phot from ALD that SG!!

Great report Philip - riveting stuff, and a very good time to boot (even allowing for theripped but mobile wind breaks image) just shy of sub 37. When you are in a soviet goolag in the arse end of hell I don't envy you your job, but after a report like today's.......

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

A good win there Bus! The win count is building up for this thread. 

Quite envious of your running on the Isle of Man Seb and also of SG bagging tickets to the anniversary games. A solid outing nevertheless there Phil. I've just done an 80 mile round trip for a 5k on a cycle path with less than a 100  entrants while you're living it up in the USA! If only! image

i ran the Lancaster 5k tonight. Was still aiming for sub 16 but after an eventful night with my 11 week old and then having her all day it was fair to say I wasn't hopeful. I rested yesterday as on Thursday I did 15 x 300 and all bar one was sub 50. I thought I may well have over cooked it as my legs didn't feel great today. 

I then ate way too much today and spent the whole way up talking to my mate and pretty much wrote any chance I had Of even getting near my pb of 16.08. Just wasn't feeling it at all. 

My mate pointed out someone to tag onto who was a V55 sub 16 man so thought I'd just give it a good go. Off we go and I ended up sat in 2nd pretty much straight away and I then look at my watch. It hadn't registered the first couple of hundred metres so I knew it was out from the off. Bugger. 

I then looked a few seconds later and it just had 'memory full' or something across where the time should be. All I could see was the min/mile average. :-/ I ended up in 4th as we went past the first mile marker and I was sat behind my target man while he made it so bloody easy! at around the 1.5 mile mark you run round a cone and back the way you came. My main man then seemed to kick a bit. Shit I thought, he's just been taking it easy. 

I managed to stay with him but really had to dig deep all the way back with still no idea of my time. I was really feeling it and a few times I thought of packing it in as I do in most races. As we entered the track for the last 400 I had no aspirations of fighting for third and just looked for the clock as there was one situated where we entered the final 400. 

14.34!!!!!!!!!!

a quick calculation/ mad scramble in my brain and I thought IM ON FOR THIiS!!!!!

i then pushed as hard as I could for the last 400 and crossed the line in 15.51. no big sub 70 last lap as that is all I had left in the tank. Eyeballs out and just scraping under 80 seconds for it. I then collapsed in a heap and asked for my time. Then a bit embarrassingly saying Yes, yes, yes, yes with my head buried in the track. Hahaha. 

Finished 4th but I couldn't give a toss if I was 54th. image 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Not Po10 though which is a bit of a dampener. Got Sale on Thursday then a 5000 track race next weekend so hopefully I can squeeze another out. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

big one Matt, wow, something with a  15imagetart on it! Very  nice indeed. Giving young Dean and Dachs some competition at the sharp end of the thread!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

somehow 15 colon something came out as a concerned face and calling you a tart

It is late though. If Litty stops haranguing me on facebook I could get to bed image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

is haranguing the same as you calling me a "bumhead"?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Depends on the bum I guess.

Bus, If your hamstrings were wiped from doing Wycombe. What's the thinking behind doing a parkrun?

🙂

• mattl, I'll get you a trip to the USA if you get me a 15:xx 5k: very jealous and well deserved.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Cheers phil, I'm still coming to terms with seeing the v55 do what appeared to be jogging to a 15.48! ! :-/

when running behind someone I find myself watching their turnover and action. I tend to have a longer stride (maybe too long) and at times I tried to match him step for step which meant really shortening mine. I suppose its what makes us all different. 

• Mattl, well done on your sub 16.. Great running. Can you not submit the results to the PO10 website? 

Where are you doing the track 5k next weekend? 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I tried that after the last race Tim as all previous years have been on. Not sure how it works but don't think they applied for a license this year. Whether that saves them money as the organiser sets up quite a few races I don't know. I mentioned it to someone yesterday and they were happy it wasn't on as they were using the race as a training run. No good for me PBing though! ! ! Haha. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Forgot your other point. I think it's at Stretford. It's a northern league meeting. I'm the B runner in the 5000. I'll look forward to getting lapped off my club ate again, Ben Fish. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

always a bit of an arse when you pb and then realise it's non po10. Sod's law dictates the next po10 friendly one won't be as good!

12 to start the day off. As per usual can feel the pelvis a bit tight on and off throughout, but came out 6.55 pace. Had a physio check me over on Monday and got the all clear, so just one of those carry on strengthening daily and carry on jobs!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done Matt - breaking 16 mins is something else mate!! I'd need a 1k head start just to get close image

That pelvis is dragging on SG.....

RicF wrote (see)

Depends on the bum I guess.

Bus, If your hamstrings were wiped from doing Wycombe. What's the thinking behind doing a parkrun?

They've been pretty much wiped out since April Ric - it's either soldier on, or take a proper break. I was hoping the physio/strectching etc would start to kick in by now, and was kinda hoping a 5 day break after Wycombe would have helped, but impossible to tell until you try. I also hoped a parkrun after a 5 day break would yield a fast time - totally wrong on that one too image. The pain yesterday was as much caused by the 2 hours drive and 2 hours sat by a hospital bed as the parkrun anyway.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, i'm probably not too dis-similar to you, we both have these niggly things that sit underneath, not overly affecting the schedule, but stuff we're aware isn't 100%

That's the game though, have no niggles and not progress, or try to and risk them!

I like the way your "week off" after the hilly half became a 5days off and then straight into a 5k race! Sooner you than me.

More wacky, looking back, was 2010 when I did the half, and then 2 days later did a 5k! I can remember applying deep heat 30mins before and getting through ok!

• Bloody hell matt, sub 16. Thats one of my current aims but it's a bit scary...

Does anyone use Strava? For those that don't you either use their app or upload your garmin traces it then maps them and compares 'segments' that people have created, usually hills, sprints or popular sections and creates a leaderboard. I think it was originally for cyclists.

Anyway, since I started on there the quest to get local course records has changed my training significantly. Two weeks ago I made my 13mile long run take in 5 hill segments, and effectively ran it as an extended fartlek, hard mileish long hills, with 7.30-8 min/per recoveries to the next hill.

Today I set out to do a few in Newbury. My 16 miles avg 7.09, but that really doesnt tell the story, 4 big hills, 8 hard segments and probably half the total distance at a slow recovery pace.

In summary, its making me run new routes with added interest, and putting a bit of pace into sections of long runs. Might be of interest to some of you for a little more motivation and local competition

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Matt, awesome effort. Those unexpected breakthroughs are the best ones. Sub 16 is fantastic, like PC2 it wss one of my aims for the year, but not sure whether i'll get a chance for an attempt with all this long slow bollocks i'm doing.

Phil, nice work representing in the USA, sounds like the speeds coming back. You seem to be gaining celebrity status over there, a bit like Piers Morgan, only not a c**t. Have you lost your US national parkrun record yet?

Bus, hope the niggles end, but if they dont soon, i think you'd be right to can the marathon.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

16 for me this morning, nice sedate 7:10 pace until i got bored and progressively upped it for the last 5: 6:47, 6:27, 6:24, 6:22, 5:50.

• Sub 16?! Woah, that is seriously fast stuff.

Makes my first ever race win pale into insignificance. But I'm still going to gloat anyway. I had a crack at my local Parkrun yesterday as I have been feeling like I'm getting back to pre-London fitness levels at long last and I wasn't wrong. I managed to win my first ever race with a time of 17.38 on a fairly hilly parkrun course. That's quite pleasing given that my 5k pb is 17.36 on a flat fast course. So I'm getting back to where I want to be. But still a long way to go to get under 17 mins.

It was funny being in the mix and having a shot at winning as I've never really had to race tactically before. I knew a couple of the main rivals at the start line and thought I'd do well with 4th place. True to form the first few guys headed off fast, but for once I was determined not to follow them. I always blow up in 5k usually so yesterday was steady start no matter how tempted I was. I'd say the first two got about 15 seconds on me at the 2k mark. But on the first up hill at 2.5k I managed to get into second fairly comfortably and then held off the back of first place for the second hill and up to 3.5k. I knew the first place runner and he hates being passed and kicks like hell so I waited and caught some strength before pushing at 4k. True to form he kicked like hell and I just hoped that it was unsustainable for him. Which it turned out to be. He dropped the pace at 4.5k and I just managed to keep winding it up all the way home. Its amazing how different you can feel at the end of a 5k if you don't go off like an idiot! I managed to put quite a big dent into him over the last k with him coming in at 18.18 in the end. So my first ever tactical race and I really enjoyed it - apart from being cut up constantly for the last k, but I guess thats part of the fun! 

15 easy miles tonight hopefully ready for a half marathon next week.