Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Chris J77 wrote (see)

. Its amazing how different you can feel at the end of a 5k if you don't go off like an idiot!

Memo for me.image

Good win Chris.

Dachs, casually ending a long run with pace wow!

• Cheers Stevie. No doubt I'll go off like an idiot again next time chasing a PB. The 5k is weird though, because I've always overcooked it for the first half mile to mile before, but felt like its sustainable. Its not until mile 2 that you realise it wasnt sustainable! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I still struggle to reign it in even now, 150 races in, as Stevie See will testify from Wed.

Something just goes off in your head of "get going"

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Great run Matt! Sub 16 is a new level. Good luck at the next one, and being lapped by Ben Fish is no crime, the guy is unbelievable.

Bit of a 2 day blow out for me. Been the gym 3 times since Wednesday though, hamstrings have been tight so wanted to give them a break. I'll read back over the other pages I've missed as I've been a lazy sod and just picked out Matt's run.

I've heard that Strava is quite a good laugh, I'm on Nike GPS and I don't think that is compatible.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, No use soldiering on. As long as you're carrying niggles or injuries you won't improve athletically. No one does or can; no matter how much they want to.

We've all got an inate ability. Its the sort of ability that gets us around. The sort of ability that makes it nigh on impossible for me to run as slow as 10 minute miling (race pace for some).

We retain some level of that ability when carrying the aforementioned niggles and injuries. It was the ability that got you around Wycombe and the last Parkrun. But if you want to get better/faster then the problems must be eradicated first.

Its a fact so fundamental that I can hardly believe it isn't publicised.

If you don't believe me, name one runner who's improved a quality PB while injured. See, it doesn't happen. If it could we'd have seen David Rudisha on Saturday breaking his world record while nursing a sore knee.

While carrying physical problems all training is a compromise. But mainly its nursing a decline. Worse if you're old.

Niggles & injury = no athletic improvement.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

All true Ric, but doesn't make it easier to take the sensible choice. Trouble is now, if I do cut back as much as I probably should, then I've blown any chance at Abingdon. On the other hand, if I don't cut right back, I still might blow any chance at Abingdon, but that is only a probability compared to the certainty of stopping training. Will wait until after my next physio session and make a decision then.

Nice win that Chris, especially with a bit of tactics thrown in.

Dachs, that's a storming run! You're in a good place right now, just keep it going steady until Abo.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Crikey. Well done to Matt (sub 16 is actual beyond my comprehension) and Chris.

Bus, obviously I'm not you (or anywhere near as fast as you) so this is only a bit relevant, but I had to take 10 days off training altogether due to injury 12 weeks before VLM this year, and it didn't actually mess up my training even though I was convinced it would.

• Matt... Ben is such a modest guy too... He underplays himself a lot.  I knew him for a while, not realising how good he was! I often go into the shop he works and he gives me loads of advice.  I say if he laps you once, you're doing well.  If he laps you twice, you're still doing ok!! 

A horrible 16 miles for me after work this afternoon.. Slow to steady with a couple of MP miles.. Really suffered though.. Was thinking at the end that Ben Fish's slow to MP is my 3k pace! 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I ran in a 5000 the other week and he lapped me with two laps to go. image 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

All true Ric, but doesn't make it easier to take the sensible choice. Trouble is now, if I do cut back as much as I probably should, then I've blown any chance at Abingdon. On the other hand, if I don't cut right back, I still might blow any chance at Abingdon, but that is only a probability compared to the certainty of stopping training. Will wait until after my next physio session and make a decision then.

Race entries are merely options. No one has to run a race just because they've paid for it. What you've paid for is the option of doing it.

If others don't like the idea of you dropping out of a race they wanted to do then tough! they should have bought their own option earlier.

I'm probably ok for a marathon training block, myself right now. 17 miles done in the heat averaging 7:45's, for an 85 mile week.

Ate two tuna bagel rolls and drank 1500ml on this one and weighed on return the same as I did when I left.

Nice to have my lad follow me on his bike for once. 

🙂

• Just counted up my weekly mileage.. 71.5 .including 2 interval sessions.. More than I thought I'd done this week. That would explain why I feel rough. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

mattl, well done on the 5k.

Not aware of any V55 who can break 16 minutes. There's a V50 called Andy Green who can though. Does that mean anything?

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

George Thompson. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Looking at the results of the two previous races. (It's a 5x 5km series.) it appears his best was a 16.14 this year. 

its a good job he did run sub 16 as my mate had told me he was the man to follow. Haha. 

• Finally got my mojo back post London. A lovely 16 miler in the rain and cross country over the beach. Averages 7.10. Nice and easy to start and a few miles at 6.20 ish at the end to give a feel for next weeks half marathon attempt. It's slowly coming back to me. No water, no gels and no food. Off home for pizza and wine now. I run to eat! 

• Dachs wrote (see)

Phil, nice work representing in the USA, sounds like the speeds coming back. You seem to be gaining celebrity status over there, a bit like Piers Morgan, only not a c**t. Have you lost your US national parkrun record yet?.

USA record went a while ago. First went to another Brit who ran about a minute faster in the USA than he did in the UK (and I'm not shouting short course, maybe just saying it) but now with Daniel Jenkin who is another Brit with a 15:15 5k under his belt so fair dos (literatin, what is the plural of do, is it dos or do's, I hate the apostrophe but it looks better).

8.23 miles for me today at 10:35 average pace but to be fair it included over 500m of up and then that had to be downed again. Lovely trail in the mountains to the east of Seattle.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Managed to somehow sleep from 2pm to 10.40pm last night...waking up only to realise it was time to go to sleep again image

Ric, I noticed you added the disclaimer that no one could break a "quality" pb when "Injured", as i'm sure plenty of people can break a "mediocre" pb when having a "Niggle".

After all, I did just that on Wed image

I think plenty know the benefit of drinking on the run in high temps now Ric. But I doubt many will be copying the tuna roll on the run part of it!

I've heard of people eating in ultras, but then those are generally such a slow pace it barely counts as running. You must have a very iron stomach, or maybe you're making a couple of number 2 stops as well as number 1s?

How many pit stops on your 17miler?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

PMJ - why me? Collins English Dictionary reckons you can have either, though it is a grey area because it's slang ('do' normally being a verb). I hate the apostrophe too.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

One thing for sure it's definitely not fair does which i sometimes use

ps Lits, by virtue of you being on this thread, Phil will already have sniffed through your profile, pics, posting history and fb record, so will obviously know your linguistic skills hence the question!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, two!

At two miles and four miles. 

Eating on the run is easy and unless you've tested the point recently you won't be aware that throwing up because of food on board, is primarily the preserve of the totally unfit.

They throw up because under duress, blood shunts away from the digestive tract to where its needed, ie muscles, and since the body objects to foreign substances sitting there not being dealt with (it needs the blood) It gets rid of it. Quick!

Anyway, I eat on the long runs because I run better while doing so, during the actual run, especially towards the end. It has to work otherwise cyclists on the TDF wouldn't eat anything and look at how much effort they are putting in.

Also I want all the nutrients where they are needed and having an elevated HR tends to shunt it into all the corners.

As things are.  My training methods are the result of experimentation and deduction. 

I too doubt if many will copying the tuna roll part. But that's because they are using perseption as their guide. And perception is unreliable because its the product of imagination and guesswork. 

I don't guess. I find out. Its about proof!

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

"dos" and "do's" both look wrong, but the latter is definitely incorrect - probably better to just use "fair dos" in speech and "fair play" when writing image

Lit - appreciate the sentiment, but being both stubborn and indecisive, by the time I've made a sensible decision to take a 10 day break now (assuming that would do it) I'll be well inside the last 12 weeks to go. As they say, there's no fool like an old fool image

Philip - are you actually in the states to work? Sounds liek you're having far too good a time image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

I think plenty know the benefit of drinking on the run in high temps now Ric. But I doubt many will be copying the tuna roll on the run part of it!

I certainly won't.  The idea of eating fish within four hours of a run does not appeal at all.  Nor, in fact, does eating fish any other time.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, Ric's not proposing eating fish a few hours before or after, but actually during it, on the run!

It works for you Ric is the only thing that matters. Some of us probably don't agreed that you need anything on easy pace runs as you're not trying to perform, and it's easy anyway.

Tour de france is a slightly skewed comparison though. Those guys are at a frenetic pace for 80miles minimum day after day. I'm certain you can stomach foodstuffs better on a bike than running, as when was the last time you saw an elite runner wolfing some grub down in a race?

• The idea of carrying anything on runs doesn't appeal to me either. I'll usually be ok for 15 miles without water or gels and anything longer I try to make sure I go passed a couple of water fountains and carry a gel or two. Carrying gels is enough of a pain for me, without me having to work out where to shove a sandwich! Where do you carry them just out of interest?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

You need a caddy.  We could pay less financially fortunate runners, or novice U17 track guys, to follow us round carrying our food for us, possibly including cutlery and crockery, and maybe a selection of condiments.  I'd make my caddy lug around a George Foreman grill, which would necessitate a really long extension cord.  For pudding, I'd want one of those massive pyramids of profiteroles you sometimes see on cookery shows (EDIT: a croquembouche).

Sorry, Ric, just pulling your chain a bit, it clearly works for you. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Chris, the SIS gel belt has elastic loops to carry gels and a handy sandwich-shaped pouch on the back.

• I stick a camelbak on and stash either a few gels, a choc bar, flapjack or something for runs longer than 2 hrs. 

• literatin wrote (see)

PMJ - why me? Collins English Dictionary reckons you can have either, though it is a grey area because it's slang ('do' normally being a verb). I hate the apostrophe too.

You chew SG up over the use of an apostrophe a few pages back, and your forum name is somewhat like literature so I made a guess that you may be educated in such areas. I could have asked SG as he proclaims a degree in English but his posts are by far the worst grammatically.

I like Dachs' idea of having a flunky carry food and water for you, though my dream is to have a horse do such (saddle bags) so when I get tired I just jump aboard and ride home. Only problem is I can't ride a horse.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Fair enough. I didn't actually do that, though, SG just said I did. Anyway, this is what Fowler's Modern English Usage (my actual favourite book) has to say about it:

'The ordinary purpose of inserting an apostrophe before a final s is to show that the s is possessive, not plural; it originally indicated the omission of the e from the possessive inflexion es. It may occasionally be used before a plural s as a device for avoiding confusion, but this should not be extended beyond what is ncessary for that purpose. We may reasonably write dot your i's and cross your t's, but there is no need for an apostrophe in but me no buts  or one million whys [...]. To insert an apostrophe in the plural of an ordinary noun is a fatuous vulgarism.'

So it all depends if you think there's any confusion in 'fair dos' with no apostrophe. I would see it as fitting more into the second category.

Oh yeah, and I went for a run today too.

Edit: PS: New Hart's Rules for OUP authors says no apostrophe, e.g. 'dos and don'ts'. And the Chicago Manual of Style only allows apostrophes for the plural of lowercase letters, but definitely not for plurals of noun coinages (words that are not nouns but are used as nouns).

Bet you're glad you asked now. image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I had a caddy with me yesterday. It was my lad on a bike. I carried nothing.

Anyway, I only carry food and drink for a mile before I scoff it all. Its what stomachs are for.

Dachs, didn't you do a run immediately after your evening meal once? I'm sure you did.

The secret is not to delay departure. Eat and straight out the door. Leave it 30 minutes and you'll feel like your legs are full of lead.

🙂