Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I used to eat a big meal and run an hour later.

Was fine at first. Then it got to a stage where it'd cause monumental stomach problems.

Monumental.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, the time span for me is 'run immediately' or 'leave it at least four hours'.

I once left it for a bit longer and; like you, got caught out badly in the middle of a well lit residential street. Salvation came with a front garden with a high privet hedge and wheelie bins lined up for added privacy.

I'll spare you the details but suffice to say I guess the house holder was none too pleased the next time they went to put out their rubbish. In fact, the hedge was removed soon after.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ric, indeed i did, several times. I shall be doing it tonight in fact. Not really by choice, but sometimes my evening has to be arranged that way. Never yet had a similar experience to yours, but i fear it every time i leave the house.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, so you can and do run with masses of fuel and repair material on board.

Make a note of how quickly you recover from the training under these circumstances.

Unconventional but effective.

Wouldn't do it for a race mind, unless it was at least 20 miles.

🙂

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Beauty of a 5k Matt, Fast intervals on the track seem to have done the trick for you. Hope it goes well at the next one. Sub 16 is my next big 5k target but not sure if I'll get another attempt this year.

Struggling with hamstrings abit too Bus, they are soft bleeding muscles arn't they, Cycling and fast speedwork seem to have triggered a slight niggle in the right hammy. Been like that for about 10days and struggling to shake it off. Reducing both the quality and quantity of training may be the only way, but 3 or 4 days may do it, not 10.

Strava is awesome, I took 6 CR's on segments yesterday on the fells on the Isle of Man, bit of a laugh and keeps things interesting. It is a also a good data logging tool. The challenges are good too,

Nice parkrun win Chris. not managed to get to one yet, but soon my training program has me doing intervals OR race at weekend, so a parkrun may be an easy way to get quality in.

Not tried eating whilst running yet, managing to eat toast last few weeks then heading out the door shortly afterwards for long runs and it seems to work ok. no accidents..

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

5.2 miles AM, gym midday, track session PM.

1K, 5 x 200, 1K, 5 x 200, 1K. 200 jog after the Ks, 100 jog after the 200s.

200s were all between 35-38 pace, nice and easy. K reps were 3:17, 3:12, 3:07. Bit of a burn up on that last one!

• Bloomin 'eck Stevie! That's a great day's training. Sounds like an elite runner's day. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Cheers Seb, I've tried to do km reps at least once a week or even mile reps. They seem to have worked for me up to now. I did start with some tempo intervals but really struggled after the peaks as I think I was majorly fatigued. I'd like to get back and try them again soon. It seems we're blessed up north with 5kms at this time of year and I've got another 3 pencilled in and a track race so hopefully I can repeat Saturdays run. 

Really good session there Stevie. I've only tried doing a session in the evening after an easy 4 mile in the mornings a couple of times. It was earlier and they were really hard work. I leave the doubles well alone now when I'm doing a track session so fair dos/do's/does/play.image 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

It was earlier in the year #

• literatin wrote (see)

To insert an apostrophe in the plural of an ordinary noun is a fatuous vulgarism.'

So your favourite website is http://www.apostropheabuse.com/

http://www.apostropheabuse.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf//4152/Apostrophes-334x500.jpg

and I thought this was vulgar simply because they bake oysters.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Elite runner's day!

I heard about a former professional who was sleeping 16 hours per day. Not the only one either.

🙂

• I'd love to sleep 16 hours a day. That would be heaven. Unfortunately with two little ones I get about 6 hours sleep and end up running late at night. Not an ideal combination! Looking forward to them being able to run so I can drag them out with me earlier in the evening.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I resorted to pushing my lad along in a push chair (not a runners version), doing 5 miles in under 50 minutes. The lad thought this great fun. 

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Farah v bekele v gebrselassie at the GNR. 

Thatll be tasty. I expect Mo to come out on top. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Farah's got the drop on these guys now. That 3:28 1500m from a 5000m/10000m runner moving down in distance was unprecedented. That race and being able to nail a 50 second last lap has scared the crap out of the opposition.

At the Olympics the others thought they had a chance of victory. Not now. 

In that 3000m last weekend the rest of field didn't just think the best they would do would be second place. They knew it. 

Rained off any work today. The rain started just as I finished training. You can probably guess how far I went. It wasn't quick.

🙂

• A quick question if anyone is around. I have a half marathon this Saturday. Its not a target race, but I'd like to have a go nonetheless. I've just been texted tonights track session at the club. 6 x 800's with diminishing recovervies (2@ 90 sec; 2@ 60 sec; and 2 @ 30 sec). Just wondering if its worth doing with Saturday's race on the horizon. I'm sure I've got plenty of recovery time and planned a few easy runs before now and Saturday, but would welcome what you guys think?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Tuesday session would be fine unless totally maxed out. Even another session on Thursday wouldn't be too far amiss though I'd cut it in half.

🙂

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

Farah v bekele v gebrselassie v stevie g

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

What!

In a typing contest?

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

She'd sabotage SG's keys with super glue.

🙂

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I couldn't do that; how would he write a three-post report afterwards?

Chris, I'd leave that session alone. Especially considering the recovery for the last 2 reps. That's a hard session with 90s recovery throughout. If you did them at 10K pace you'll be ok. But at 3-5K pace that will leave you tired for a few days, when you could have been recovering further.

One thing I have learnt is that I've wasted good form and fitness by pushing my recovery and taper closer to race day and not been recovered as a result (even though I felt relativity fine). There is nothing to be gained from tough mid-week sessions before a race. Unless the race is purely for training purposes (a parkrun for example).

• Cheers Stevie and Ric. Advice noted and taken on board. I think I'm going to head over and run them at 10k pace and hang off the back of the group. I'll wear my non flats for a change to make sure my brain gets the message. It will be nice to go at the back for once. I'll just try to use it to keep a little bit of leg turnover going in the legs but steer well clear of anything approaching 5k pace.

Dean, if you're lurking. Are you racing the Stoke Open Meeting? I'm entering the 5000. Should be in great shape by then. Pray for good weather at the Northwood!

P.S - how's the niggle?

• Stevie.. I'm going to take your indirect advice. Will give the club session a miss tonight. No doubt it would be 10-11 miles overall with reps on the max.. 

Will find a quiet field and do 12x200 at 3k pace with a few easy miles.

Got a Sale sizzler on Thursday and want a PB.. Don't want to be exhausted!

• I didn't quite take the advice on board. 2 mile warm up and cool down with the 6 x 800s in between with decreasing recoveries. The plan was to run them at 10k pace so it would be an easy work out. The plan went out the window. The first rep was a sedate 2.45. But the next 4 came all came in at 2.39's. Which hurt and meant I wasn't arsed to do the last one off only 30 seconds recovery. So I just did a 400 as best I could in 1.18 before my legs gave way (I'm blaming last night's massage - they always feel weird afterwards).

So there you have it folks. How not to taper for a weekend half marathon. I've run a 5k flat out on Saturday. Did 16 miles steady on Sunday (my longest since London). Had a massage and bashed out some reps.I've just got my planned 10 mile hilly run tomorrow and then I can look forward to a 12 hour drive in the car to Scotland to finish my legs off. I reckon if I finish the race on Saturday I'll have done well! 

• Chris... That sounds like last week's training for me!

I went into my last 5k off a pretty heavy few weeks and was pleased with a good PB, but the subsequent weeks have tired me a little o I'm taking it easier for this week and next week's 3k. 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

track tuesday for me last night after an easy 6 in the morning.

8x 1k with odds at threshold (5.40 - 5.45 pace) and evens at 5k pace (5.20 - 5.25 pace), all off 75 second recoveries. hit all the paces bar the final 1k which came in a few seconds off. don't think i managed over 8.5 minute miling for the warm down - battered!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

CJ77,

I never have massages or mess about with foam rollers and the like. Not for every day reasons. I use hydro therapy techniques. 

I've even stopped doing the prolonged stretching sessions. I guess keeping fed and watered at all times has an effect.

However, I do smoother my legs in moisturiser to prevent the skin drying out. I discovered that old skin like mine has adverse effects on joints and muscles as it tightens up around them. Running in the rain works as well.

As for running in the rain. Conducted the first speed session since I developed a sore throat (2 weeks ago). 

Play by it by ear. 200's off short recovery, but don't go mad.

Set off and usually once I've run a few of these I can feel a trace of lactic acid making its presence felt. Today it never happened. 10, 20, 30, 40. Finished like I started.

Pace on a compacted gravel surface was 5:10/5:15 level.

🙂