Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, that sounds the classic rubbish build up equalling good performance that many of us have had before! Bus makes a career out of that!

Classic after the lord mayor's show run for me, the midweek medium long run. 8miler, and although it came out 6.58 pace, felt a bit sluggish and felt the pelvis both sides a bit achey breaky. No runs until sat now, so hope that all sorts itself, as only on Tuesday I was thinking "that physio fixed me a treat"

• Forgot to mention that there were a lot of people round yesterday due to the World Tri on London. I thought Wednesday was early for a Sunday race but it seems there is a full week of races with different distances etc. Tomorrow lunchtime is listed as
    Friday 13 September Elite Athlete Swim Familiarisation     12:30-13:30
    so I may go down to the Serpentine at lunchtime to see a few of the elites in the water. Guess they all look the same underwater wearing a hat so I will certainly claim to have seen all the famous ones: there is one called Brownlee, and another called Brownlee, and then it gets hazy.

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

I'm volunteering in London Fri/Sat and that kind of buggers up the weekend's training.

Where wil you be at about 12:30 to 13:30? May pop by to say hi.

• mattl wrote (see)

Off working down Watford next week. Hopefully a week of steady double days sandwiched round a 12 hour shift. There's a track in Watford isn't there? image 

I'm hopefully down at Watford Wednesday night for the open meeting. 3,000 and maybe a sneaky 400m to get a po10 ranking. My 10,000 ranks me #13 in the country for my age group, then 73 for 3,000, 177 for 5k, 251 for 10k and 568 for parkrun!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Matt - some people have literally nothing else to think about other than that kind of nonsense.  They should be thanking their lucky stars they haven't got bigger problems than you not wearing a club vest.  Sod 'em.

Dean - sure you'll be fine.  What's the distance this weekend?

Re talk of relays, it looks like I'll be in our team for the SEAA 6-stage at Aldershot.  Looking forward to that, it will be nice to be at the same event as some of the big boys.  I'm with Dean, in that I'd much rather be part of that than small local relays, despite that we'll finish well down the table.  My dad used to organise some road relays at Longleat in the 90s, they weren't anything like the 6-stage but they still attracted some good clubs from the south west, used to be a real buzz about it.  Was my favourite event of the year.

Track last night, and joined in with TippTop from the Sub 3 thread as he ran one of his marathon sessions - 3 miles, 2 miles, 1 mile, all at very slightly shy of 10K pace (3 lap recoveries).  Nice to have someone faster to chase, but hard, hard, hard.  The man is a machine.  Kept up for a bit, but couldn't cope with his pace on the last two.  Didn't really try either, I'd have killed myself.

• SG - my coach thinks the same, although im feeling lethargic and nearly nod off in meetings doesnt fill me with confidence but i am snorting berocca so i should be okimage

Dachs - 1500 on saturday, 800 on sunday. 

Philip - i have watford pencilled in (very lightly) for wednesday if im still unhappy about my 800m PB.  So i might see you there.  looking for some of the watford magic that the 2 Stevies found there to rub off

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Something to take my mind off Saturday's exertions. New pair of glasses that only work in a narrow band about the width of my hand, about 300mm from my nose.

I'll be having a word with the optician tommorow. They reckoned on reading glasses. I fancied something I can see with.

🙂

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

I'm volunteering in London Fri/Sat and that kind of buggers up the weekend's training.

Where wil you be at about 12:30 to 13:30? May pop by to say hi.

I'm unsure TBH. I'm part of the equipment team, so I'm assuming I'll be either in transition or out on the course moving and changing stuff for different races. I'll keep my eyes open.

I've booked parking in the Q-park nearby so I can take my running kit. Will do ~8km after work on the Saturday around Hyde Park.

RicF wrote (see)

Something to take my mind off Saturday's exertions. New pair of glasses that only work in a narrow band about the width of my hand, about 300mm from my nose.

I'll be having a word with the optician tommorow. They reckoned on reading glasses. I fancied something I can see with.

Doesn't sound good. How will you see tree routes and rabbit holes whilst running? It's probably time I admitted I'm quite blind. I wear glasses for PC work and really struugle without. Mine are tall enough so that I can see all of my monitor (just).

• DeanR7 wrote (see)

Philip - i have watford pencilled in (very lightly) for wednesday if im still unhappy about my 800m PB.  So i might see you there.  looking for some of the watford magic that the 2 Stevies found there to rub off

If you are looking for sub 2 (and that has to be your aim, surely) and maybe even sub 1:59.09 (that will jump you from 8th v40 to 2nd!) then Watford is the place to do it. Sep 4th there were 14 races and 17 runners went sub 2.

Lots of PBs

http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=82090&event=800&venue=Watford&date=4-Sep-13

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

IC, I only needed the things for reading. However I do need to read things from more than a foot away from my nose. This monitor is one of those things, its about 2 feet away. Or the results of a race posted outside the recorders hut, about 3 feet away.

Or at a pinch, the TV, 8/9 feet away. 

🙂

• A Watford road trip! Not as long drive for you though thankfully. It was a killer!

Tonight 5 x 90s, 5 x 1min, 5 x 30s. All at bloody silly pace. Felt good.

Looking back I see SG had a bit of relay success. Not wanting to play devil's advocate but has this raised interest in any southern/national road/xc relays? They are cracking events, I definitely recommend them. Not first leg though! From experience I can tell you that's a hiding to nothing when you set off with Jonny Mellor and Nick McCormick et al.

• Hi Guys... Just read back over the last few pages, and see the training and racing again picking up... Getting ready for the autumn big races..

Hopefully all the niggles and crap is now behind me, so I can start working on my 10k times, not to interested in going much further... Did do the Yeovil 5k last night as a tester on the hamstring, and achieved a 80% WAVA, not through time, had a birthday last weekend... Next outing is the Victory 5m next Sunday...

And finally club vests, I joined my club because the red vest makes me look more muscular and brings out my false tan, where the other local clubs yellow vest didn't have the same effect.... And people say am shallow imageimageimage

• Stevie See  - Cheers mate I'm leg 1 Sunday image

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

If you are looking for sub 2 (and that has to be your aim, surely) and maybe even sub 1:59.09 (that will jump you from 8th v40 to 2nd!) then Watford is the place to do it. Sep 4th there were 14 races and 17 runners went sub 2.

Lots of PBs

http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=82090&event=800&venue=Watford&date=4-Sep-13

watford is similar in quality to the Trafford meets although you cram more into a race in watford with 12 starters.   My ultimate aim was a sub 2 at the begining of this summer and a combination of injuries and no specific speed training has meant i havent got close. I have only done 5 specific sessions to the 800m since May so i havent earnt the right.  i will see how i race this weekend and how close/good i feel to see if thre trip is worth it.  there is also the lincoln open in a fortnight (a track i used to race on for the county as a schoolboy) the day before the robin hood half so that might tempt me too.

• Bluenose - well done on the 80% WAVA! As it happens, the sole reason I haven't been able to decide whihc local club to join is because I can't decide whihc vets would best suit my complexion.....

Good luck tomorrow Ric. Looks like a wet one (my LSR is programmed for the peak rain period in the morning image)

• well done on the 80% WAVA Bluenose... not to be sniffed at whatever the circumstances. Get on the pot hunt!

Sounds like you've got plenty of spped in your legs SS. What's next for you? Something short?

Good luck for the weekend Deano and also to Ric on the relay. I hope the weather's good for you Ric image

Good session Dachs. You did well to get close to TT bearing in mind your recent injury woes. Fingers crossed they're behind you now and Abo is looking good.

Tough session for me last night on tired legs. The DOMS hadn't quite cleared from Maidenhead but happy to nail 60 mins at threshold in 3 x 20min reps off 90 secs. Reckon I went through 10 miles in just under 57 minutes. With 5 miles in the morning too, a good double day

/members/images/496080/Gallery/3x_20mins.jpg

• DeanR7 wrote (see)
      there is also the lincoln open in a fortnight (a track i used to race on for the county as a schoolboy) the day before the robin hood half so that might tempt me too.

Dean - Officially, entries close for the Lincoln Open today at which point they will then work out a schedule for the day apparently. They might well make an effort to accomodate a bloke of your calibre at shorter notice of course. There's a contact e-mail address on their website, but I can PM you a direct e-mail address for the meeting organiser if you wanted to enquire.

Don't think there's an 800m available to you though. There's just a 1500m (which I'm doing) and then 400m down for senior men. Should just about avoid being lapped by you if we ended up in the same 1500m race - though you'd probably see my heels taking the bell as you hit the home straight for the final time! image

• Bob - you are right, forgot about the no 800m at lincoln.  not travelling for a 1500m as its the 800 i want to put right.   i think you will fly round the track now you have that mile race as a marker to build off regards pace and the "dig in" for the 3rd lap.

Johnas - sheessh! 57min 10m in training in the week after a hm pb.  i think it would be a massive understatement to say you are running rather well at the moment. 

• Thanks, Dean. Hope you're right - McMillan converts my mile to around 5:15 for the 1500m, but would like to find myself threatening 5:10 if it comes together on the day.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Thanks for the encoragement Bus, Johnas, Rob, et al.

Conditions for me appear to be dry. The wind temperature and direction are still favourable.

Last run today before the event, a very easy six miler.

The taper has gone: 8,18,9,8,6,6,6 which is a step down from 12 miles each day. Two years ago the sequence was:12,2,2,2,2,0,0.

The day before the race then, I was so nervous (I knew I hadn't trained enough) I felt ill. On arrival at the change over I was so bad I wasn't fit for even a 5k. A massive cup of coffee and a jog about followed by a short sleep sorted me out.

I vowed never to be so under prepared again. According to the 'Cliff Temple my collapse point', that's 3 x your average daily mileage is 34 miles (80ml/wk). Then it was about 11, and it was.

🙂

• Don't think you could be accused of being under prepared this time, that's for sure!

DeanR7 wrote (see)

Johnas - sheessh! 57min 10m in training in the week after a hm pb.  i think it would be a massive understatement to say you are running rather well at the moment. 

Damn right, especially for the second session of the day!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

stormer Johnas!

for one min, i read it as being 10miles consecutive in sub 57 within the run, which would have been spellbinding! But even re-reading,  with small rests it's still a lovely piece of work!

Certainly the big achiever on the thread over the last couple of months!

To some extent reminds me of before my 10milers last year, I built to 3x1hour tempos, alternating between True Tempo and steady in various guises. Certainly brings you to boiling point.

Looking forward to a road race very soon. Like Phil says, from my Wokingham,  my 5&10milers are soft. In fact, according to McMillan everything is soft compared to that half!

But...who is to say I'm at or close to Wokingham fitness, it has been a summer of a couple of 3ks, and some relays, and a lot of pelvis strengthening...So we'll see!

Good luck at the relay Ric, and Stevie S, of course motivation is increased when there's a chance of a telay team placing, the nationals and southerns probably wouldn't fit my overall schedule as they'd probably be too close to another event...

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Johnas, im in awe of that session. do you do them sessions on the track?

• cinder track yes. 60 odd laps. extremely tedious on your own but lets me just concentrate on the task at hand with no traffic, road junctions, dogs or sleep walking pedestrians!

you not running cabbage patch this year SG?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

easier on the body, harder on the mind!  I remember doing a few 6mile MP sessions on the track. Then I had a  spell doing them out on the road, before falling on a middle ground compromise of multiple laps of a 0.9mile section.

I'm taking it all 1 race by race at the moment, if I get through the next road race I will consider whether either CP or GSR might be doable.

I was slightly taken aback by a bit of pelvis tightness yesterday, as before then i thought it was pretty much going!

• Jeez!! Great running Jonas!

Stevie...I did some threshold in my run this morning. Managed 3.2 miles at 5:50-6:00 mile. Was pretty tough.. I find it difficult on my own in training doing tempo sessions, but they're worth it I suppose! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good work Tim. I guess it depends what zones you use, what you're used to, and what the session is.

I'd regularly do 6-7miles at MP, which currently is 6.00 - 6.10, but probably wouldn't do more than 2miles in a go for HMP 5.45, unless it was at the end of a big build up. Would be way more likely to do a 3x2m off 90secs, rather than a 1x6mile for example.

Similarly my "true tempo" zone, the classic 10m race/Threshold type zone, something like 2x2miles with 2min recovery would feel tough. 20mins at that zone would feel a monumental effort.

I guess what Johnas is benefitting from is the big marathon build up, and being reasonably close to the peak phase.

• Johnas, just as I get my head around tempo intervals, you crank out a 3 x 20mins. Absolute animal! I'm hoping to progress to 3 x 10mins. You really are king of the tempo run! Northern road relays in a week for me over 6K, although I'm looking at being in a ramshackle B team image Still love it though, as I want to go quicker than some of the A lads to prove a point!

Like you SG, I've been doing some MP pace stuff. Easy runs all end with 2 miles at MP. My long run had 6-7 miles at MP. Although I'm working off 6:40-6:45 pace rather than hypothetical pace which is a scary 6:28.

Bluenose, WAVA 80% is quite a benchmark. Good lad!

• Gout flared up today so one foot is twice the size of the other. Few days rest needed. Most times it just flares up and goes away, but it did this last year at the start of the injury.

• great wava bluenose! and more to come from the sounds of it.

SS - to be fair with the kids at your club im not sure many of this thread would get in your A team at the 6 stage.  some very fast juniors!