Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Well done Dean, really pleased for you!! You must be so happy, especially after your setback. Again, awesome achievement.

Good luck for tomorrow. 

• Wow. Well done Dean! I didn't think this thread could get more exciting after that picture of Phil's feet, but I think this just about tops it.

• Nice one Dean!!!

Some good LSRs going on. For my part I did 11km round Hyde Park after a day of standing about, legs not happy.Wasn't easy to get round due to some ridiculous race getting in the way.

Re: car keys; I couldn't find any running shorts last night so packed some tri shorts. +ve: compression. -ve: no zipped pockets for car keys. Luckily had a lanyard in the car so car key clipped to that, then round neck.

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

Phil, are you going to post that picture on every thread I read? image

Didn't Henry VIII have syphilis?

More likely diabetes from being a fat bar steward. Do you read only two threads?

Cat in the hat: birthday on Tuesday and the plan was steak and ale pie washed down with red wine. Suppose I should add a plate of oysters to finish the 2hwat not to eat with gout" recipe off.

Followed by a surfeit of Lampreys? image

• Been away for to long and can't keep up with the recent news! Although well done dean on that result!! 

so a good last month hitting 112m which is most since starting running in April- currently on about 55 this month after a 12.5KM run today- time came at 46:39 so a 10km split of 36:14 image very happy as not done many runs over 30 minutes and this was my longest run on the year.... 

I would also like some advice if possible - I'm set to buy a road bike and give duathlons ago- long term.. But how much would cycling impede my running or what should I be doing- based on my increasing my mileage to say from 20/30 a week now to 50 a week over time and running being my main focus .. I don't know what cycling I should/ shouldn't be doing... Ideally I would say run home on my longer route (5.13m) and a 5 minute change on the bike to do....? Or if I don't start till late- cycle to 2 hours in the morning then have (how much time) before running into work??? Help image 

sorry for incoherency lol

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Great result there Dean, I'll definitely be telling people I know a national champion so heaven only knows how proud you and your family are.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great result Dean, probably better than mine at the RNR but there you go.

Just got in from Norfolk so will be off to bed in a moment. In brief, a case of best laid plans. I can say that I fulfilled my part of the deal 100%, however other people are involved.

So for a 20 mile race I need a bit of a warm up, a snack, a good drink or two and a piss before starting. 25 minutes is my routine.

I got none of these.

I was informed that the guy handing over to me was going to take 90 minutes for his leg and would arrive at 19:50 hours. So at 19:20 hours, management saunter along and then realise that they haven't given me a number. As they turn back to their car to get one who should come blasting along the seafront but 'guess who'? 

So at 19:25 the marshalls are jumping up and down because I'm not ready to go.

Had the kit on under other stuff, so get rid of that. Gulped one 500ml bottle mostly and away I go, stone cold. Forced to stop and get number off the incoming team mate, pin that on and then I get going again, With a full bladder.

Reason the lad was early was he'd put 90 minutes down as his estimate 'to be on the safe side' and ran 70 minutes. No-one had kept tabs on him at all.

Ok, Set a record for swearing for the first two miles, before salvaging something. God I felt like shit.

Garmin shows a first mile of just over 6 minutes, went sub six for one or two. 10 miles in 61:45, a few more low sixes before I tanked at 15 miles. Bloody freezing conditions which seemed to stop my legs working. Ended up with just under 2:10.

On the relay side, I absolutely slaughtered the runners who'd left before me. Out of the 12 teams that were ahead, I caught 10. One un-caught himself to finish a few seconds in front. But since he'd had a twenty minute head start no matter.

Not so brief then. I live.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

still a very good run though in difficult circumstances RicF. 

A 2.10 20 miler with no tuna bagel? any thoughts on squeezing in a late autumn marathon? 

Congrats. 

• Cheers all.  Went for a recovery jog last night and was trying to keep professional and focused on the 800 but found myself grinning like a muppet. 

Weather report looks bleak so hope all racers today manage to avoid the worst of it.

ric despite the mix up that sounds a performance that would have placed high in most 20m races.  Congrats.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

good luck again today Dean. hopefully you enjoy the conditions more than those with the quicker PBs. All the best. Potential double national champion!!!!!! 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers guys, and so to demonstrate how quickly I've recovered, I'm just going out for an easy run.

I suppose I could have added that for medical reasons I have to take a calcium supplement especially before long runs. If I don't I have the fun of going into some quite audacious cramps when I stop moving.

Anyway I missed those as well. Cramps got me in the face and right foot this time.image

Only tiredness in muscles appears to be around my butt and hamstrings. I put that down to being seated for 15 minutes before 'our man' arrived. Taking off with a numb backside adds a different dimension to the fun.

In mitigation the lad apologised for running so fast. I put him at ease with an easy calm manner.

Only when away from civilized company did I vent my speen. The guys in the car lighting my way heard me and thought it prudent (and safer) not to get too close.

They reckoned about 5 miles would have taken the sting out of me. On reflection the incident was actually quite amusing.

Dean, put em to the sword.

🙂

• Great going Ric.

Good time Scott. Cycling can tighten the hamstrings, which can impact the running. Cycling training is exactly the same as running, so for the moment build up some easy base mileage.

Thow in a brick session every now and then by running a few km (or to the end of your road) straight off the bike. At some point you'll then need to build in to some intervals on the bike. Most bike work is easier to recover from than the equivalent run. The aim of the bike fitness is that you are as fresh for the second run as you can be, subject to having already run 10km or 5km and then cycled 40km (sub hour) or 20km.

Unfortunately for me it all falls apart when trying to schedule quality bike and run sessions and I get injured. Still trying to work out that balance.

• Hey ho Ric, that's the trouble with relying on others planning thingsI guess! Still a good time, all things considered.

Intersting about cycling andhamstrings IC, as I used cycling to maintain fitness from a torn tendon, but that then lead to the current hamstring problems  by going from 25 mpw on a commuter bike to 100+ on aproperroad bike (probably)

Very exciting finish to the GNR today!!!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good run Ric, nice pace. dramas just make these events more entertaining. not suprised it got cold in the middle of norfolk so late at night! gets cold quick sometimes out there.

Brilliant work in the 1500m Mr champion. image not really suprised as 4:15 is starting to move some. speed obviously doesnt disappear with abit of down time. Have a good one today!

Good luck SG if your racing today.

You go so fast in training Scott. its madness. good work on getting more miles in though.

Indeed a good finish to the GNR! The weather this morning was great to run in. but windy but ideal temperatures. heart rate lower I guess as the blood doesnt need pumping to the skin to lose heat. So I managed to run my longest run ever prior to watching the GNR, 14.5miles@ 6:49 pace, definately getting fitter.

• Cheers ironcat - bottom line is I want to focus on running but love cycling and the idea of a duathlon- if cycling would impact running I wouldn't like to risk that! I think there's a possibility I can reach a decent level of running .... 

• cheers btw seb, I run how I feel most of the time and on my longer runs I'm getting used to pacing- I am completely aware of running to fast etc though- will just manage it as I go- happy to get the miles in for sure though - 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just back from Portsmouth.

Very quick summary for now, VERY windy, and thus 28.21 for 37secs slower than the pb.

Will read back the other posts, and do a longer race report later.

• For a minute I thought that was the SG race report.

Ric - well done on the time in less-than-ideal conditions, but especially for being nice to the kid with the poor grasp of timing!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good old jaunt Ric, i'd be peeved if some idiot massively sandbagged. Doesn't he know us proper runners prepare properly image

Always the problems with relays though, especially massively long distance ones. I'm not sure i'd fancy such a long distance one. The 3 I've done were up to 5.25miles, that's enough I think.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, as per the terms of my agreement on this thread, excellent, good, average or poor race, big report ensues image

So let's get cracking

Woke up this morning thinking, heck I feel a lil bit sick-ish here, but I think it was just the nerves kicking in.

Despite Phil's bizarre stalking, I'd only actually put down to enter this one last sunday, and only told 3 people...so was a little surprised to see it labelled as some kind of badly kept secret!

Anyway, a rare trip with my old racing buddy Booders for this one. We did have one year of 20+ races together, but he's more peaks and troughs these days, so races quite infrequently.

Standard late arrival to pick him up, and we were off, 80-90min drive to Portsmouth ahead. Slightly alarmed to see the sat nav quoting 10.17 arrival for an 11 start image

Pretty easy ride down, but a bit of panic when the car park was 100% full, and we had to whizz round random roads to find somewhere to dump the car. Always the way when it's a pick up on day job!

Weather seemed a bit windy, but the bigger worry was getting everything sorted. When you're used to going to races solo, you forget you have to do other bits like make sure your pal has ditched their gear/has everything etc...so time was running out.

Got a 2mile warm up in, and was now a little more concerned at the strength of the wind down the prom...especially as it's normally coming back in where it gets up, not going out!

However, got nicely to the start line, laughed when some young Kenyan guy with "1" on his vest was encouraged to actually start at the front (sub 29 10k man apparently!!), and we were off.

200metres or so on a track, then round the back of it, and then out on the prom.

Didn't feel marvellous, but doing ok, and first mile 5.22, the obligatory fast start. Wind hasn't really affected things so far.

Mile 2 it creeps up a bit, and obviously the pace has dropped a bit, 5.36 for that, still nicely on goal.

Mile 3 seemed to surprise with some of the wind's strength.

The route is basically track/around track, prom out, couple of miles in and around some random carpark/business estate, then the prom back in to the track.

5.45 without an apparent drop in effort showed it was going to be hard from here on in. The wind kicking up, and some tiny inclines meant it was just a case of forget time and just keep working hard.

Took 8-10secs or so off that split for the next mile, bit less wind, but starting the run in to the prom, but from there on in, it was a real struggle, pretty heavy wind, and I think it says it all when you see a last mile of 5.56, which ends with 200metres on a track, and the last 500metres in an enclosed area with no wind how heavy the wind is for most of that mile, and a spell before!

Therefore, probably lost a good 30secs or so in the last mile alone, as normally you can rouse a big last mile finish. Not today.

5.42 average pace for the solo relay leg last week over 5.21miles, 5.43 average today, for an actual race!

Can't be too discouraged, we'd always been warned the Victory 5 can be windy, and I'd got away with 2 mild days the last 2 years, so third time unlucky image

While waiting for Bood, I spotted Bluelegs! Hello old son! Quite unexpected, and we had a good old chat for at least 20mins, before realising it was actually getting cold. Similar thoughts on the weather!

Bood,i'd completely missed, but amazingly he got a 13sec pb out of the day. He hadn't pbd for 18months, so it was a little fat certainly, and he'll smash that on a still day for certain!

So where from now?  Although the wind clearly affected today's

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

outing, I'm probably not top end of my fitness, so most probably just getting a decent sustained training block in for now seems the most sensible thing.

Phil, you're really going to find it impossible to find my next race this time  Good luck trying though. image

• Always the excuses Stevie G... what wind?? image Only kidding of course... very annoying crosswinds particularly on the way back, so you couldn't even rudely tuck in behind someone. Thanks again for the trip!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Unfortunately the only one who got it in the neck was my missus. I'd asked her to go ahead with a drink since under normal circumstances I'd need one from around 15 miles onwards.

However despite her checking on my progress and offering a drink all along the route, as soon as she got to 15 miles and I didn't actually grab the drink off her at that moment, she took that as her cue to 'shut up shop' and drive all the rest of the way to the finish.

🙂

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Despite Phil's bizarre stalking, I'd only actually put down to enter this one last sunday, and only told 3 people...so was a little surprised to see it labelled as some kind of badly kept secret!

So is it really stalking when you post about it on facebook and I'd say half of the active posters on this thread at least are friends on FB?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8fjtGym_X8c/UjXS4pFBZBI/AAAAAAAAAUM/Bz_pEKVAlFg/s508/ScreenShot.png

Last year you ran Victory 5, then Southend 10k and Cabbage Patch, so the guess is that you will do the same this year, some 10k between now and Cabbage Patch.

• Hmm, I wonder which one of those not-quite-erased names is SG?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

All I can say is thank goodness you can't hack into my PMs on FB Phil...oh the scandal that you posting all that on here would cause image

I can imagine you sat with the old PO10 on favourite , spreadsheets of all our times on the go, monitoring FB as we speak image

• Best start retracting some of your musings Stevie G before all manner of worms are uncanned

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Phil, nope, won't be doing any of those. Racing is OFF for the foreseeable. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Mattl, I had wondered about a marathon but discovered at 15 miles yesterday I simply don't have the motivation to keep the hammer down half killing myself to field a decent time. 

I didn't hit any 'wall' yesterday, I just got fed up of the effort involved once it had ceased to be comfortable.

Penultimate race that one. Aldershot Road Relay and I'm finished.

Only one runner around can shift that decision.

🙂

• Good work today SG in tough conditions & considering recent niggles. Congrats.

So second half of the double at the GB masters, 800m.  Like SG I'm not going to mention the weather as an excuse either, nor the fact I was tired after yesterday, that they kept us waiting in the call room for 2 hours and we didn't know the start of our race, then after announcing it eventually they brought it forward which meant a rushed warm up. But that was the same for all of us.

the race. The 1.56 guy (who was 40 yesterday, how unlucky was that!) and the 1.59 guy flew out and I tucked in a little back in third with the rest on my shoulder.  Going well to 300 then into the wind which had a noticeable effect on all of us. Hit the bell in 61. I'm feeling tired and 2nd has opened a 15m gap on me and is pulling away, i wasnt feeling good and had someone try to take me for 3rd at 500m.  i gave up concentrating on 2nd and needed to hold 3rd. i decide to go all in with 300 to go so i don't have to kick into the wind. the guy on my shoulder goes with me but by 600 I open a gap.  I dig deep knowing if I have 10m going into the last 100 & into the wind it's going to be tough for anyone to take me, I open more of a gap I look for 2nd but he is Way ahead, no chance!  Right hold on to this place.  I don't kick as I hold in case he comes back then I can go again, I'm looking over both shoulders down the entire last 100 but I'm safe.  3rd is mine, bronze!  2.05.  Winner did 1.58 and 2nd 2.01, in those conditions shows their quality, no shame there.  I wasn't at the races today but dug in, no PB, but some more jewellery so happy days.

At  the presentation  was given a gold medal from the British masters 5k last June, team prize.   So 3 gb medals this weekend, one for each of my children.image