Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• forum gremlins strike again. Won't be the last time i'm sure. weird bearing in mind I havent been on the site. been too busy doing the session!

3.18, 3.13, 3.18, 3.16, 3.20, 3.18, 3.24, 3.19. Never have been able to run consistent 1k reps!

38, 35, 33, 34, 32

double day done and 15 miles in the bag

• Tim Natrajan wrote (see)
    When in a 10k race , you feel mentally, that you have the distance under control if you run 2-3 times that distance each Sunday!

After a long period dedicated to 5km (longest run 13km - 8 mi) I had some good times (for me). Shinfield 10km almost broke me though in terms of a given pace over that distance.

• Nice reps Johnas - if a bit all over the place! Almost liike mine (though longer, faster and more of them image)

Good solid 20 Dachs.

RicF wrote (see)

Bus, out of curiosity, how does a XC race fit in with training for a marathon?

RicF wrote (see)

RicF wrote (see)

It doesn't! I'd probably be better off doing another LSR on Sunday, but it's a race that I want to do and if I can squeeze it in, then waht the heck (and more fun than a tempo effort)...

• Johnas wrote (see)

PhilPub - If you haven't tried Magic Rock brewery from that list, I can highly recommend them -  they're doing some great stuff. my 'craft' beer addiction is almost as obsessive as my running

I'll look out for that one. I think I've drunk more American-style IPAs than Belgian beer in recent months. I like 'em hoppy.  Nice reps!

Three-quarters of our V40 team went out for a race-pace sharpener this evening, 2 x 2k w/ 2 mins recovery. Loosened the legs out a bit on the second one, mile paces were 5:27 and 5:19.  Hopefully the second rep was closer to Sunday's race pace!  I also managed some k reps on Tuesday, to join the party, x5 with 200walk/jog/~2mins recovery: 3:09, 3:08, 3:09, 3:09, 3:05. Feeling ready.

• Late post- just about to run home 2.26 m and will mean a +12 mile day including the cycling. Will post my run and the training I was on about

tim- i guess you do much higher mileage or much more speedwork ? I can't keep guessing 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Hi Scott.. My 10k and HM times are not as good as I'd want them as I haven't done enough quality tempo running this summer . 

My week is basically: 1 long run, 1 medium long, 1 VO2 max session (reps or 5k race), 1 tempo/threshold run if I can get round to it. 

All the other runs are at 7 min mile pace and easy. I do at least 2 days of doubles, this week 3 days of doubles (7 with reps this morning and easy 6 this eve). 

• So run home was average - Didnt push, right leg was sore and needs a good stretch..

2.26m in 13:55 so 6:09 pace..

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Tim, your week is very similar to what I was doing and hoping to get back to. 

Just done 3 days of 6 mile runs. All at 7 min miling. My calves seem to get extremely tight towards the end of each one but that's got to be due to the extreme lack of road running over the last 6 weeks. All my breathing feels really easy but running a 15.5x 5km seems a distant bloody memory!!!!!!!!

if my calves ease off I may try a bit of quicker running on the track on Saturday. Maybe try some tempo intervals as I want to see what a sub 6 min mile feels like again. It's been too long. image 

• Steady into work today- right leg bit sore and tight - 5.13m and 30:24 - felt good after my biggest day of miles yesterday 

• PhilPub wrote (see)
    Johnas wrote (see)

PhilPub - If you haven't tried Magic Rock brewery from that list, I can highly recommend them -  they're doing some great stuff. my 'craft' beer addiction is almost as obsessive as my running

I'll look out for that one. I think I've drunk more American-style IPAs than Belgian beer in recent months. I like 'em hoppy.  Nice reps!

Brew dog IPA? Very very bitter.

• Mmm, beer....Friday night, long run done - must be curry and beer night! Got my bargain IPAs ready - Tescos Simply IPA, which, with one of their offers, worked out at less than £1 a bottle and is perfectly drinkable when lightly chilled (though maybe not for you real connoisseurs image)

Hard run this morning - 16M into work, with two big downhills and a 7M long uphill in between before trying to keep up a good pace dodging traffic crossing the A4010 5 times!  After stacking up 80 miles in the past 7 days (the most I've ever done in 7 days), the second really steep downhill has left my quads a bit mashed. Had hoped to do 5 miles at MP before a mile easy at the end, but the legs were too tired and it would have been counter-productive. Still, 5 miles at sub 7 with the last at sub 6.30 was OK to give 7:25 average overall. Just got to do a day's work now!!

• Brewdog are a stalwart - always have a few bottles knocking around at home.

Bus - can highly recommend Sainsbury's Great British Beer Hunt promotion on at the moment. £1.50 a bottle for some great beers, especially Harbour Brewing IPA and Hardknott Infra Red

Kudos for such an epic run pre-work! That's some big mileage over some tough terrain!

Nice reps to you too Phil. Looking good for the weekend

• Thanks Johnas. Might pop into Sainsburys at lunchtime to see what they've got....

(kind of ironic that Stevie's thread is turning into a beer discussion forum given the man imself is tee-total image)

• worked out why my 8m easy run on wednesday was so hard as i have been sick for the last 48hrs.  thats 3 sickness bugs in the 3 weeks since my kids went back to school.  coming out the other side now.

Scott - i cant see any light and shade in your training, everything seems to be run fast around 6mm pace. i appreciate most of it is 2m in length so you probably can just hammer them.  But injury could follow unless you run a high % of your training much slower.  for example i run about 40m pw and only about 10m are quicker than 6mm pace.

• I am making a clear conscious effort now dean to 1) increase mileage forcing to me slow down and 2) run longer into work so I'm not running hard.. I will start slowing down ...

• Sorry you're sick Deano, at least it's after the masters races not before . 

Scott, I agree with Dean, unless 6m/ mile is easy pace for you, I'd slow a lot of it down.

I did 7 miles at slower than 7 min/mile this morning as legs were heavy (stomach too after a full packet of choc hob nobs last night). 

• I want to get a HRM and check out my effort that way- I think I have naturally been able to keep a high heart rate but wouldn't know now.. Would be good to see stats and take that into consideration?? 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, has anyone ever mentioned that good training doesn't have to hurt all the time?

🙂

• It does when you are trying to make up for lost time, have an underlying issue that won't play ball and are surrounded by hills !

• So, after nice longer run into work (5.13m) today I ran home 2.26m in 13:14 and deciced to have a crack at cycling straight away, so quickly upstairs shoe and shorts on then onto the bike and did 5.41m @17.6 Av MPH 18:22..Feeling ok! 

• The Bus wrote (see)

It does when you are trying to make up for lost time, have an underlying issue that won't play ball and are surrounded by hills !

You Sir, are old enough to know better!

Tonight's session was threshold intervals on the bike.3 x 6 minutes at slightly above threshold.

Followed by Greene King IPA Gold. I split the last session in to 9 or 10 reps, totalling 568ml all in. Like a blonde ale but with the sour bitterness of a British IPA at the end.

Wedding tomorrow, so a rest day as I'll not get 12km in before dropping the kids off, getting to the church (where the ToB goes past), etc.

• Excellent IPA reps Iron. 3x 330ml for me with next to no recoveries. An excellent session

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    The Bus wrote (see)

It does when you are trying to make up for lost time, have an underlying issue that won't play ball and are surrounded by hills !

You Sir, are old enough to know better!

Shsssh! never mention the 'O' word in the vicinity of vets.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Actually Bus, if ever there was an activity that cannot be played 'catch up' with its distance running.

'Making up for lost time' is over training. You would be better served by seeing how fresh you can get rather than adding more loading.

Now that I've established a sustainable base myself, I've reverted to the 50% volume maintenance rule. By this I mean that to keep a level of fitness, its only necessary to do half the training volume that it took to get there.

Bet you didn't know that one.

🙂

• I may be teetering on the edge playing "catch up", and despite feeling increasingly fitter, it may still go either way, but I'd rather end up injured having tried than just give up on a goal I've set myself - besides, I'm big enough, old enough (thanks Iron!) and ugly enough to make my own (albeit possibly stupid) decisions image

And yes, I have heard of that one (from yourself amongst others), but to get to that stage you have to have put the base miles in in the first place......

IPA reps for me tonight too - a relatively big session of 4x 500ml

• Up a little later than normal for work and only the 2.26m route in- 13:34 slower than I would anticipate but that's fine 6:01pace...Busy day ahead- will run home short route again possibly cycle but will see.. Good luck to anyone in parkrun or racing tomorrow and preparing.. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

'Bet you didn't know that one.' (meant for no one in particular)

Getting geared up for tomorrow.

The other guys in the team have been training all year for this one, which may turn out well. They were all sub 70 minute HM runners in their day and ran Aldershot more out of habit than anything else. (club had never got close to winning any medal of any colour).

This time they mean business.

I expect to be the slowest of the quartet this time.

🙂

• Run home was a little quicker than this morning, 13:29 - was very hot for some reason - had leggings on. Was going to go on the bike but foudn the front tyre has burst! Bike has only done 12 miles so i rang the shop and they will replace tyre! FFS.. Anyway, going up the driving range with a friend now and may come bac kto do core later.. Not done it for months.. Plan to run 5.13m in to tomorrow to work and 2.26m back... 

Good luck RicF - I did the relays a long time ago image 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers Scott.

🙂

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow, mostly relays it seems. I'll have a catch up later on

Attempted another obstacle race today, super Spartan thing, my first defeat in this type of event. Took 70mins, Lost by 2seconds, at the end of the first lap I broke the strap off the garmin on a cargo net then missed a javelin throw at a haybale!imageand they made me do 30 bleeding burpess as a forfeit whilst the 4time Spartan champ ran off into the distance. I made the time up within a mile or so, carrying my brick! Which you had to carry for the last 4 miles, through the obstacles and all. So we're neck and neck and bleeding from head to toe. Muddy and knackered, he gained 5 or 6 seconds on me in the final assault course but stumbles on  the last obstacle, I hit this steep wood ramp and shoot up it , we're neck and neck,  the crowd roaring , he jumps 12ft and runs to finish line. I used the firemans rope down and collapsed over the line 2secs later. Bit gutted but medal, but wood trophy plaque, technical tee, sunnycam video sunglasses as prizes made up for it! I look like I've been beaten up by Rambo. Cut up on barbed wire really badly. Off for a beer.