Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Mucking about with the text that let me put a line right through the middle of a word.

It worked until I pressed submit. 

Kind of spoilt the joke.

So having failed that, a belated 'well done Seb'. image.

And there I was, thinking Bus was pushing the limits. 

🙂

I'm not getting involved in that sort of malarkey - cargo nets? barbed wire? javelins? carrying bricks? What's that all about! Plainly mad Seb, but very well done anyway - pushing the 4 times champ to the line sounds like no mean feat and shows your quality as a proper runner. The prizes seem pretty good too! Glad you didn't try and jump the 12 ft and break your ankle or something daft!!

Good luck everyone in the relays and anyone else racing tomorrow!

• Marvellous - just did my longest race report ever, only to see it disappear into cyber space!

Hey ho, lunch calls now, so will have to try again later!!! 

• Seb... That's the oddest race report I've ever read!! Are those races worth doing then? 

Nice 12 hilly miles for me this morning. No more long runs now; i have the Macclesfield Half next Sunday, then I'm off to the states for 3 weeks so will use that time as a break from running and let this Achilles settle down.

Good luck to all those in relays this weekend. 

• Right, can't be a~sed writing all that again, so to summarise - good race, though very muggy and slippy. Ended up in 7th place overall, in 42.26 for the 6.3M but 40 secs behind last year, though further in front of a couple of local rivals than. Quite pleased overall as I finished strongly, despite a relatively hard week, I feel fine now and got round in pretty much marathon pace, which is OK for a hilly, technical xc! Only slight downside was hamstring pain from about 5k on, but nothing too debilitating.  Warm up and warm down added on takes me to 71M for the week.

Biggest surprise of the day was the guy who finished 4th and 1st V40 - he was wearing a polo shirt and Bermuda shorts, and when he set off at the start really fast I thought I'd overhaul a panting wreck a mile later! That wasn't to be and he finsihed way ahead of me! His Inov-8 shoes should have been a give away and it turns out he is a Chiltern Harrier(whihc also surprised his team mates and re-opens the whole debate about club vests for team prizes!)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well done Bus, as long as we live to fight another day.

Losing a post! lost loads of them. Press the space bar at the wrong moment and phut! its all gone. Big posts I now type out in a word document then paste, other than that the report is short.

So a short report from Aldershot. I was 2 seconds slower than last year, the relay of last week clearly took something out; only revealed at moments of limit effort. So I had the feeling I lost half a minute today because of that.

Shame really, the team ended up 4th with the silver medal only 20 seconds ahead.

🙂

• Good idea re using Word! It's happened a couple of times, but today's was the most annoying image

That sort of gap for a medal place is always going to make you think, but being just 2 secs behind last year after a 20 last wek shows you're in pretty good shape.

• A weekend of two days after a mixed week. Last Friday my foot blew up like a balloon. I took the whole of Saturday off (with the aid of far too many paracetamol) and on Sunday just tried a little 3 miler without too much trouble. Monday a 5 miler and Tuesday up to 7. Wanted to go further but Wednesday was still a 7 and same on Thursday. All of these were sort of OK: I knew the toe was still hurting but was on just one paracetamol a couple of hours before running so I wasn't masking too much. Friday I was trying to make up my mind if I should rest or run and it was made up for me as rest  as the toe ached but differently: not gout but soft tissue bruising (from compensation running).

Saturday I was down to volunteer at parkrun which is 3 there and 3 back but by the end of the road it hurt too much so I walked back and drive there. Did a mile or so while there and it started to feel better. Watched Exeter beat Irish in the afternoon which may or may not have helped but was fun.

Woke up this morning and no pain, so set off to race Swallowfield 10k. After a silly journey (do pack the race instructions and don't trust to remember a journey you have only done twice before) got there and warm up was OK. Wore my normal Pegasus as they offer more support than racing flats.

race was OK, splits were
    3:23.7
    4:03.2
    3:50.8
    3:42.7
    3:44.0
    3:48.8
    3:52.3
    3:56.1
    3:55.1
    3:46.5

and 5k splits 18:45 and 19:18 for 38:03 overall (6:09 pace). Well off where I would have hoped to be but well up on where I should have been given the week so encouraging and if this week is good can have a semi decent outing at Windsor Half next Sunday: looking at 4:00 per km pace for a 1:24;24 (so sub 1:25).

As far as i can tell, all those who beat me were younger so that is the aim.

• bus, nice race, was that Shardeloes? I did 40:43 there one year chasing Owen but never catchign him on the downhills.

Seb, silly buggerimage  (but nice one too).

• Good racing by all this weekend.

I ran the Northern Road Relays. Took over on leg 3 after we were sitting pretty in 5th! Our first 2 lads are out of this world, so I spent most my leg loosing positions. Ran 23:41 which is 5:49 avg miles. Not super quick but gave it my all. Overall we came 22nd and qualified for the Nationals!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Comparison from the Garmin last year and this year:

Mile 1 (2012) 5:41, (2013) 5:35

Mile 2 (2012) 5:59, (2013) 5:45

Mile 3 (2012) 5:45, (2013) 5:51

5K (2012) 17:51, (2013) 17:49

Final K (pace) (2012) 5:44, (2013) 5:46

Finish time (2012) 21:58, (2013) 22:00

Last year I finished with an almighty sprint, this year I was dead on my feet. Sodding 20 miler.

Phil, good that you managed to (dare I say toe?) the line. Hope the HM goes ok.

Ss, something to tell the brats on Monday. Is there any in your school that could give you a race? A guy in my club was challenged by one his students to run a HM without the student realising he was even a runner. The outcome was not pretty, 1:57 to the student, 1:14:04 to his lecturer.

🙂

• Sounds like an interesting week PMJ. The rest probably did you some good.

Good efforts SS, Ric, Bus, Tim & Seb. Especially good story Ric.

A wedidng yesterday meant 12km LSR moved to today. Didn't expect sun to appear and wished I'd run in a vest rather than t-shirt. Didn't have sunnies or a hat so sweat ran into eyes.

Wife dropped me off on the way to the in-laws and I ran the rest, all done in 4:58/km which surprised me as it felt a lot easier than slower runs of a shorter pace. I guess that's the difference between road running and XC. Tomorrow marks an increase in volume by another 6km per week.

• Good steady build Iron.

SS - well done for the nationals qualification!  Very good average pace too.

Ric- those splits tell a story, especially the last 1....

Philip - good result considering the week before and that you were running in pain. Yes - Shardeloes. I remember last year finishing on exactly the same time you did the year before! I'm glad Owen wasn't there this year, but maybe a bit of company closer in the middle section would have taken a few seconds off - still , came out as pretty much spot on target marathon pace, which I'll take as some kind of omen image

• Rest day for me. Planned to run after work but ended up doing a 13 hour day...

Will run tomorrow but not 100% what yet.. 3rd rest day of this month and sat at 87.8 running miles... 

Will do some core work I think - need to get into that. Will be basic leg raises, planks etc 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Ric, the kids I teach are 7 and 8 so I'd be pretty disappointed to get beat by any of them!

Big week coming up, ending with the first XC race of the season (already! image) on Saturday. Plan is to train straight through it.

• Some good running at the relays , had time to look at results. Aldershot winning.. A mate ran A team and very very quick leg so pleased for him.. 13:24 2.26 mile run into work- felt very tired pre running yesterday and today but ok now.. Plan this week is parkrun Saturday ... 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Impressive stuff Seb, you clearly need to get yourself onto Total Wipeout ASAP, get yourself your 15 minutes of (relative) fame.  Well done on pushing the multiple champion to the wire, got to make these people work for their wins.

Bus, more hilly 10Ks I see.  Good to hear you were reasonably happy with your performance.  I imagine the kind of injury issues you’ve had lately tend to flare up on hills, so glad you came through it.

Well done Phil too, getting some consistency back.

Ric, shame you couldn’t quite get the medal at the relays.  22:00 is a very decent time anyway considering what you were up to last week.  Good work SS on keeping the team in the hunt.

SEAA road relays at Aldershot for me as well.  My run was very different to SS’s relay leg.  Of the 80 teams running, our team was in 80th after Leg 2.  I had the final leg, Leg 6 – by the time I took over, the first 2-3 teams were already finished.  Our team had moved up to 74th.  Basically, I just ran for 6K gradually overtaking people running considerably slower.  Some of them were on another lap to me, so they didn’t count, but I managed to move us from 74th to 69th by the time I finished. Odd race, didn’t see anyone running a similar pace to me at all.  I wasn’t happy with my time (20:28), as I’d been targeting sub-20, but I had underestimated what is quite a bumpy course, plus I’m hoping the lack of pace is just a result of the 80 mile weeks I’m on at the moment.  Anyway, I suppose I held my own (28th fastest on Leg 6, so that’s top half at least), and enjoyed being part of an event with some seriously impressive runners – Nick Goolab of Belgrave ran 17:37 and absolutely smashed the field apart on the first leg (where many of the teams had put their fastest guys).  Saw PhilPub as well, and managed to go fractionally faster than his second leg of the day ...

• SS, dachs & ric -  good relays gents.  dachs its unusual to put the better runners on last normally you get the faster types out on the early legs. you should get them to move you up the order next time.      SS - dont know if you saw RobT but you were within a minute of him and he is very low 16s over 5k at the moment. so yours looks a good time.

i have managed to sell my half marathon entry this sunday which is great as 6m @ 6.45mm pace was bloody hard work today.  No where near ready.  

SS- i might do winsford xc on sat instead of a tempo.

• Dachs - good to see you yesterday, you're looking in good shape for Abo.  And well done to the other relayers - Ric, a solid time on tired legs.  As Dachs mentions I was roped in for a second run for our C team, so I posted two times yesterday, about three hours apart: 20:00 and 20:31.  So no "sub"-20 posted but a pretty consistent bit of running, and the faster leg contributed to a V40 bronze for the club.  I've got two very speedy club mates turning 40 in the next couple of weeks or so - bad timing but I reckon we'll be very strong next year.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, you should see where 20:28 gets you in my age group, I could have done with it.

17:37! Crikey! at the time he got to the halfway mark I'd only have been halfway down that hill on the other side of the arena.

I suppose if there's one upside to my mileage and that's recovery. Went out early this morning and fairly cruised along. 

🙂

• 13:17 2.26m run home then a fairly quick change onto the bike for a 12.5m cycle - average pace 18.1mph 41:xx

• Dean, I'm doing Winsford, come down would be good to see you! Saw Rob on Saturday was good to see him back running and full of confidence. I assume he's not running Sat as he's a Salford man now and they run in our league.

• 10km today at about 5/km. 50% XC 50% road. All 'easy-ish'.

Wokingham HM is open for entries now. Who is up for it?

• 19.23m cycle - traffic heavy so slowed time but 1:10 for 16.4 mph average sp. felt ok though and will be running into work 5.13m in about half an hour and then 2.26m home tonight! Biggest day volume wise if I do it.. Legs kinda stiff/sore so I'm off to stretch 

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Wokingham HM is open for entries now. Who is up for it?

That'll be me.

• Probably me as well....

• Scott - I really am confused by your training. If I got it right, you're doing the same distances pretty much for every run (either a 2.26m or a 5.13m or both on the same day) and you're doing them within about 5 seconds of your threshold pace every single time. and now you've introduced cycling. 

What exactly is your goal and what's the idea of going balls out on every single run you do? You've done amazing well to not injury yourself so far!

• Quick update- 30:33 5.13 run into work after my cycle- felt average and legs not used to the cycle/run but ran well... 

• Hey johnas - firstly I recognise I have been lucky with staying injury free with my style of training.. to be fair from young age never had an injury - only one which put me out for a year but was result of my bike accident and running too soon in between some major surgery etc...

I have introduced cycling to aid running and general fitness however I understand specificity is the best training so I am not replacing any running miles..

my goal was/is to build my mileage and strength so I can run a solid 5-7 mile steady every day and build a base- work and other commitments to restrict time hence long or short route but I am working on a structed plan..

I've just started to keep a spread sheet of my training planning it much better- cycling when I have a block of time only.. I have run keeper which has everything I've ever done on there too... My long term goal is to running decent 3-5km track next season