Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• sould say they're fast..

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

rob - will do.  johns moving ok and should be good for the race. it does mean he will have to race stafford common now to get a race in.   he had effectively retired but this might be his swansong.  hopefully he will reconsider and keep going.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

must be very nice to get selected for an event!

Bus, thinking about your question even more, you'd be mad to do some random event the week before something you've trained for 6months for! This is a marathon, you have to respect it!

As for me, despite eating loads last night, I woke up quite hungry, but 12miles done at 6.51 pace, and that's me signing off until Friday now! Lovely.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - tidy 12 at a speedy pace. those long runs a flowing nicely

Rob - forgot to mention how is your calf and are you still in for the relays on sat

• Dean managed 7+ miles last night at sub 7min pace picked pace up during run on a 1500m grass circuit from 7.29 pace 1st K, K splits went 7.29,7.03,7.02,6.55,6.54,6.54,6.51,6.52,6.48,6.44,6.42 min mile pace and though felt tight no pain!! so will try and push it a little more tonight in sections during run to see.

I hope to run I'm leg 5 will decide after tonight and how it reacts overnight !!

SG - very tidy 12 miles as Dean pointed out.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

rob, that thing you mentioned the other day about how runs just naturally pick up pace despite not pushing it is definitely true.

it's often harder work to reduce the pace rather than just carry on as you are.

• Stevie G do you mean true for me or for all?

I agree I find it near damn impossible to slow down once I get going unless with someone even then pace picks up a little.

My main training partner told me the other day he knows to sit half a yard behind me because if he sits on my shoulder it appears to him that I must think it's too slow and I pick up paceimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

for both of us i think.

Similar vibe with Bus when i run with him

He presumes i'll be aiming to run at a faster pace than I am, i think, he's pushing this a little, and we both naturally turn an easy run into a steady one!

• and for me - the longer the 'easy' paced run the faster the average pace, as there are more miles to gradually speed up over without noticing.

• I do think it's a very fine line between easy and steady and sometimes I find I record a run as easy when in reality it was a steady and visa versa depends on so many other factors I think. I think it's Ric who says run as you feel and that's largely what I do.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i'm hoping that my easy runs sloping into the steady zone is a sign of increased fitness, rather than me just over egging it image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Never - when we run together SG, it's always at my easy pace image

Thanks for the sensible comments chaps - it does help with the decision, though I think my legs have made it for me now anyway! My hamstrings are still sore from Sundays race, reinforcing the fact that it is speed that is making them flare up. I did an easy double yesterday, which normally flushes out the stiffness form a 10k, but not yesterday. Will take today as a rest day, rather than the original plan of 8M with 6M at MP, which would definitely be counter-productive! I may not even do the parkrun on saturday (rain forecast now as well!) but will judge that later in the week.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ridgeway Run, hmm. There's the possibility I might get around to giving the thought of doing this race some consideration.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Light track session tonight. My normal group were doing a mile time trial, so joined in with that. Ran 4:53, which is actually my first ever sub 5 mile in any context, so its nice to lay one of those down. Track wsas packed, so a bit of weaving too.

Then 2 x 1m off 400m recovery, both in 5:17. Called it a day after that, it is a taper after all.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

That's a great time Dachs.  Was it a mile or 1600m?  You will feel pmj's wrath if you are 9 m shortimage   You should target a mile next summer. I bet there is something nippy trying to get out.  Careful though middle distance on the track is like a drug, you might never run a marathon again

• I blinked and the world went past in a blur of photos, artwork, Bus blowing a marathon for a C-race and a GB selection. Well done Dean!

Rob was your 1500m grass track in your garden too? SG I always wake up hungry. Im mostly hungry most of the time.

First track session tonight since March. 7x400/200RI. Particularly shocking (97, 92, 95, 96, 95, 93,93) but something to work on. I think I was doing 85s or less way back when.

• Great mile time Dachs. I heard Palmer park is short...image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very quick Dachs. Imagine doing 26.2 of those and you'll be close to where Samir is going to be next spring image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Never mind the times Iron - must be good to get back on the track. Times will follow shortly. Ridgeway was never a C race though - it's usually one of my A's but must take a back seat to Abo so mdemoted to a B for this year image

• It was nice. Shame I'll miss next week's session. Will find a park whilst travelling.

I'm trying to stitch next year's calendar together and will probably have to miss a local favourite, or turn it in to a B or C, which will be very hard. Needs must!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Don't worry Iron, speed comes back quickly.

Yep, it was a PMJ approved 1609m, run from the mile start line on the track.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Nice mile Dachs! Who said marathon training kills speed!

iron - slowly slowly mate. Patience will win through 

3x 15mins @ threshold for me last night (av paces: 5.39, 5.37, 5.37) on VERY tired legs despite only running easy post Sunday. Picked up this really weird calf/achilles niggle - it's like I can feel a tendon 'twanging' with every step I take. Anyone ever had something similar?? 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

no, but surely this is your body saying its time for rest

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

re-adjusted all my training for this week with a greater emphasis on recovery and taper starts next week thankfully!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Rest, rest, rest Johnas.  You've come to the boil already.  Don't boil over!

My last run that I could call a 'session' pre Abingdon today - 11 with 8 at marathon pace.  Quite windy out there.  Marathon pace averaged 5:57, but I still thnk that's a bit sharp for the race.  Won't run at any pace again for more than a mile or two until Abingdon now,,,

• Dachs, 1609.344 metres if we are being pedantic (I am always pedantic but I spend all day talking to a computer and they respond to pedantry.) Yes it was windy today, and yesterday. I jogged out to a race at close to 7 minute pace and then had to struggle back at 8 minute pace into a very strong headwind.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It's bizarre how during a marathon taper everything seems harder and niggles appear from everywhere! Fingers crossed that's all it is Johnas

I'm off for an 8 miler tonight with 5 at estimated MP effort (not pace - hills and wind will affect that too much).

What race was that Philip? Are you doing Bushy parkrun on Saturday? I was planning on doing the Rye one, but don't think I will now as its now forecasting lots of rain beforehand, so the course will be slow.

• Race was the Bridges Race. 2.3 miles but 5 miles from where I run so it makes a nice 12.5 with a hard effort in the middle.

I'm racing (as much as you can race at a parkrun) at Oak Hill parkrun. It is on tarmac and I'll give my free (courtesy of ricF) Nike Lunaracer+ 2s a test out. It will be my 50th parkrun so I get a t-shirt a few weeks later.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ah, that old chestnut! Makes a good session. East barnet is a fair way to go, but looks like a very fast course.

Did a 9 miler instead tonight, with 7M at sub MP pace (last 2 of which were in the pitch black along a slightly dodgy pavement, thanks to a dead GPS making me set off late!).

Dull hamstring pain aside, it felt pretty comfortable and came out at:

6:28, 6:19, 6:21, 6:21, 6:25, 6:26, 6:25. I would have done an 8th, and made it up to 10, but though discretion might be the better part of valour!