Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You rack up a lot of injuries, that keep you out, as opposed to the niggles that a lot of us have which don't actually stop us running.

Is that down to the harsh nature of the track stuff you do? Or something underlying?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

If its anything like my hastring issues PC, then anything fast sets them off (ie last week's 10k - still suffering!)), but very long slow runs actually seem to help.

• 50th parkrun this morning and a friend wanted to run at Oak Hill (which is basically just inside the M25 where it meets the A1) so I went along with him and few other friends. The course is just under 3 laps, all on tarmac except the finish funnel. Did a lap warm up to check the course and then after an unhurried start (my Garmin says 9:06) was away. Straight from the start me and another older runner pulled away but we didn't know each other so no idea of form and so it was a bit of cat and mouse with neither willing to drop back. After the first three quarters of a lap when we passed the finish line I looked at the Garmin and saw 5:44 pace which is way too fast so fell back and accepted second place. The second lap was fairly easy and I felt fine and noticed that even though I had fallen back by about 25 metres quite quickly, the gap was not growing. 6:04 pace for mile two and into the third lap and it looked like the guy ahead was struggling. Nothing obvious at first but he was definitely coming back to me. I set about pulling him in and by the turn with half a lap to go I had the lead down the 5 metres and he glanced back and saw me. I was now lapping some slower runners including my friends who gave me a shout out so I pushed on and passed him. The parkrun is fairly flat but has a little uphill in the second half then a long downhill so I pushed up and then let go from the top. I dare not glance round but the cheers from the marshalls showed I had some sort of lead and I came home for first finisher in 18:23 with him 3 seconds behind.

Fastest parkrun for me this year, first time I'd finished first as well this year, so a good day. Nice to get a solid looking time as well though with more even pacing I could have gone a bit faster.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well done Phil, a race victory is always satisfying.

Unfortunately its not a race just a run where everyone goes as fast as they can over a measured course hoping to run faster than as many others as they can, and to get a time and place recorded too.

So, its not a race. On that basis you cannot have been wearing race shoes (those shoes perhaps) I guess they would have to be described as 'timed run shoes'.

Nothing much to report from my side of things. Thought about a parkrun which is as far as I got, so did six miles of bits and pieces. 

Forecast looks like rain for tomorrow. This morning was a reminder why I've no interest in battling the elements for a rubbish result. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice Park RUN win phil, whatever the cobblers philosophy imageabout it not being a race and all that tiresome stuff!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

National road relays for me today.  Plan was to ave 3.15km, and the course was an undulating 5.9km.  Didn't feel quite right in the warm up but couldn't put my finger on it.  i was 3rd leg.  First km was very hilly but hit 3.24 km and was happy with that as I would make that time back on the down hill.  Next km 3.18, felt ok but had a group catch up and pass me. From now on in I struggled. People just kept over taking and I tried to hold but couldn't. No spring no fight.  3.30km, I convinced myself they were all working too hard and I would get them back over the sprint.  image  I dig in thinking this Km is ok, nope 3.27.  Right the downhill section and 2k into the finish.  I normally do well here. I lift the pace but so does everyone else, I get on the back of a mini group of 3 but its a 3.14km.  It felt faster, I'm in trouble now last 900m covered in 3.15 pace, took 2 of the group in the sprint but the other had too much for me to claw him back.  

19.48 and ave 3.22 pace.  Is an ok time but in truth im chasing a big 10k in 5 weeks and this is not good enough but I did everything I could it just wasn't there today.  Some you win, some you don't. image

briefl chat to stevie see and saw him out in his leg, he looked to be going well.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sounds good numbers to me Dean, but appreciate your level is a different plane entirely!

• Hey, same as Deano for me. I had a bit of a stinker today. Took it easy up the incline at the start, maybe a bit easy. Drifted to a 6:10 opening mile. Next 2 were 5:55 then 5:50. Now considering I'm chasing 5:45 miles (to nudge a slight PB) in 5 weeks I'm less than enthused about today. But not too down but concerned.

Only good points is that I felt strong through out just couldn't get into a higher gear. Also, this is my 3rd consecutive week of decent training/mileage.

Good parkrunning Phil, I saw a ringer for you today and thought it was you!

Good run Dean, it was a tough course for consistent speed. Sorry I couldn't chat a bit more, I nearly missed my leg getting lost on the warm up (did 3.5 miles!).

It was good to see the nation's best today, Some absolute animals, staggering pace as they flew past. The first leg was ridiculous, not one smuck in that field!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done Philip - good way to celebrate the 50th PaR-KrUn. Mind you, if you'd done the Rye one tday, you'd have been the "fastest finisher" there too....

Well done at the relays guys, evn if you both don't feel it was quite where it should have been.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I suppose its only on reflection, post race where you realise maybe some element of training was missed.

Personally I went into my races this summer without having really pushed the pace in training. So that was my missing element. Currently sorting that bit out.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Today seems to be the start of the 3-4month dodgy weather season. Oh joy!

Pretty windy and a bit wet when I trotted out at 7am today. Was a bit perturbed to see a 7.40ish first mile.

However, 7.01 average overall. Did remind me how wind can ruin things like nothing else. Just as well it was an easy job rather than trying to push the pace today.

64.5, 67 and 70 last 3 weeks, might be a cutback week coming, but not sure.

Few people doing the Oxford half locally that i'll be interested in their results...Seb's got a half I think too (as well PubPhil an occasional poster), any one else?

• Great parknonrace Phil. Good relays too guys. 

Rest day here, scheduled as such to allow for tri club awards. Came home empty handed but full bellied. Plenty of banter especially about TVXC. This week is a cutback week. Should I reduce intensity as well as volume? 

Have seen some speedy results From Oxford on Facebook. 

I see Dachs' taper us going well by the bollocking he dished out to Scott and Samir. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, if only the TVXC organisers would get round to some banter around, I don't know, actually sorting the dates of half of the races! Very slack this year.

Dachs told those two what was what,

• SG, anything sub 9min pace is quality before 8am! I find walking hard at that time! Looks like the winter wind is here, nothing spoils and easy run like the wind, where you have to put up with a shocking pace or crank up the effort.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Depends how you go about it SS. If you try and get up and get out the door within 10mins, I wouldn't be surprised.

I've had a good hour up before I'm out at 7am.

Big week next week. Long run up to 14, and a couple of sessions mixing some diffo paces in.

It's weeks like these where I'm glad I don't have a stack of commitments/travel to juggle!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bit of a scare this morning. Steady run over undulating course averaging around 7:30's; no real effort involved, when at around seven miles my left lower quad muscle just 'let go'.

Not a hint of anything beforehand. Just one almighty twinge! and I'm on one leg. Need to assess the damage, and there's only one way really, move. If its a pulled muscle, I'll get a series of spasms which get progressively worse. If its simply something unsticking itself, it'll ease up as I go.

The fact that I was able to run the rest of the way home with no further developments makes me guess it was something unsticking itself. I'll keep an eye on things though. 

🙂

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    A twang?! Ric and you still got home. Very odd, be interesting to hear the outcome.

Good Parkrun Phil glad to see your getting back to winning shape. I've still not got to a parkrun yet and you've notched up 50!

Shame you thought you could run faster at the relays guys. Was it on the usual loops at Sutton park? How did you run compared to others might feel better if you look at it like that.

1st Half Marathon for me in hilariously stupid rain and wind today..
  • .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    So headed to Peterborough this morning, my right hamstring has been giving me problems all week but after all the weeks training and build up, I just couldn't do the sensible thing and pull out, even with the weather promising heavy rain and fair winds.

Towed the start line behind some Kenyans with uber-thin legs, couldn't believe the lack of apparent muscle. Set off and tried to hold back, but the first mile came out around 5:30, On we went into the heavy rain and headwind, settled in and had a nice group to work with, tucked in best as possible. Pace felt fine and the miles started to get ticked off. 5:39, 5:40. Now these were all garmin splits, the mile markers were further and further ahead every time, so I kept thinking we are going to run long here! but it was all the corners, I should have cut them more.

I'd banked maybe 15 seconds under the target pace as far as I was concerned, and it dawned on me how far we had to run, already soaked to the bone, still hiding behind runners but there was lots of heel clipping, bit of accidental arm nudges, bit of chatter about the pace we were on. All fairly entertaining and took my mind off the increasing stress. the groups had split up but I stayed with one group, running at a perfect pace.

More miles, 5:43, 5;42 , 5:46. Official halfway clock 37:34! Game on.

We had run into the wind most of the way, then turned for home and had the wind behind us.

The rain also eased for a while and the pace went up, the 2nd lady, A kenyan was within the groups clutches and we reeled her in with a 5:39 and 5:36. Woops, the legs did not like the touch of lactic acid at that pace...
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ric - quad OK now? I occasionally get weird thing slike that happen - could it be a pinched nerve or something?

Seb - where have you gone? Can't keep us on tenterhooks like this!

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Sorry Bus got a cup of Tea! hehe

Around 9 miles the quads started to tighten up, I eased up a fraction as we winded our way through the estates of Peterborough, lots of turns with curbs and standing water everywhere. The course seemed fairly flat with only minor inclines and descents. A chap who was also after sub 75mins comes past and notes that we are still on target, by this time my brain has gone for calculations, but on I go, I remember seeing 45:45 on the watch when the garmin clicked 8miles. Now I'm home I see that is spot on pace! Data shows 5;43 and 5:40. Going through 10 in 56:40 something! probably around 56:55 on the mile marker. A big stretch under my 10mile PB of 58:18, on I went the group slowly but surely creeping away as I headed into a very painful unknown world of 10 to 13.1 miles!

The legs were gone, I wanted the time so bad I pushed and pushed but the miles were slowing 5:44, 5:47...

Guts or glory time. Last mile was a world or pain , then I heard a click 5;46 min /mile, turned the corner on the last 250m of grass to see the clock! 1:14:29..1:14:30, Holy crap I'm going to do it! The clock is counting and counting and Im sprinting...BOOM 1:14:59 crossed the line! Then so nearly puked, A proper Bus retch, never had that before.

Cant walk very well now, warm down was not possible. Could only hobble along... but the deed has been done! Cant believe it. Training finally paid off. VLM 2014? maybe...
  • .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Awaits chip time!!!!! Arggghhhh
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what a teasing bastad with the first lines on the conditions!!

Let's hope that stays under 1.15! Cracking run Seb!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The list of sub 1hr 15 ers on here is growing, terrific benchmark Seb. Will it impact your 10miler next sunday do you reckon?

I've done 2 flat 10milers 2 Sundays in a row, but wouldn't do a half then a 10, even though it's not too many miles more.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well, I you do deserve a cup of tea after that I suppose.

Fantastic time Seb (whatever the chip comes out as, but do hope its 1:14:5X) Sounds like you had to work bloody hard for it and it took some guts to get, so all the more deserved! As a debut, that is hard to beat but promises even bigger and better things for the future!

Sub 56 for CP next week if you recover OK image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great run Seb, hopefully by starting behind the front row you've gained a second on the chip time.

As for the quad muscle. Eight hours after I felt I'd snapped something, I can hardly feel anything at all.image Thanks for asking.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

seb. At last, a road performance to match your Xc skills.  Superb run, absolutely smashed it.  

Ss - sounds we had similar days yesterday. Agree with the quality, our 14.40 5k man 'only' came 179th overall.  

A 12 mile at 7.25 pace this morning. I have the distance in my legs now, time to pick up the pace.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Seb, VLM 2014 Championship start for you. I've seen the chip timeimage

🙂

• Indeed. Congratulations Seb! If you liked half marathons, you'll love marathons. image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Don't do it seb. image